Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

24 Cayenne stop sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023 | 09:56 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Base update and reprogramming is out. It is huge, needs quite the hours to be done.. Additionally some cars are failing so the might release a fix? Who knows

At least is out as per schedule, so possibly S will follow soon.
Old 08-11-2023 | 09:59 AM
svinaik1
Advanced

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Base update and reprogramming is out. It is huge, needs quite the hours to be done.. Additionally some cars are failing so the might release a fix? Who knows

At least is out as per schedule, so possibly S will follow soon.
Can you please clarify what "Some cars are failing" mean. Does it mean the update / reprogramming is not working so Porsche might release another update.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2023 | 11:21 AM
bzimmerman
Intermediate

Default Disappointed

Originally Posted by vpopx2

some information, but I'm still not sure that is it.

2024 Porsche Cayenne Recalls

Years 2024 2023 2022 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2006 2005 2004 2003NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID: 23V527000
RECALL DATE: 2023-07-28

SUMMARY

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2024 Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne Coupe, Cayenne Turbo GT, and Cayenne S Coupe vehicles. After the vehicle is turned off, the rear hazard warning lights and the parking lights may not illuminate if they are activated within 10 seconds after the gateway control unit shuts off. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

CONSEQUENCES

Rear hazard warning lights and parking lights that fail to illuminate can reduce the vehicle's visibility to other drivers, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY

Dealers will update the gateway control unit software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 26, 2023. Owners may contact Porsche's customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is APB1.

COMPONENT AFFECTED

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:LIGHTING CONTROL MODULE:SOFTWARE

NOTES

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
can Porsche sell car and let buyers bring back in when letters are sent?
Old 08-11-2023 | 11:25 AM
JTG13
Instructor

Originally Posted by raymort
What trim do you have?

Leaving the factory in Germany? That doesn’t necessarily mean they have applied the fix yet. They could be planning to hold it at the port to apply the update.
Turbo GT. Stop sale will be ending shortly.
The following users liked this post:
DubDub12 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 11:35 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by svinaik1
On the other hand, Hazard lights solution cannot be that complicated that Porsche is dragging feet and pushing the release to Late September.
Not defending Porsche here. I carefully watched the prices on 2023 Cayenne GTSs through last fall into the winter, finally paid a non-refundable deposit and ordered my S in March, watched it sit in the US port from June through late July, and now it's sitting at the dealer lot. I was dumb enough to trade in my old Cayenne S early and am stuck in a rental.

But...the number of networked controllers involved in something seemingly elementary like blinking the hazard lights could be more than you'd expect.

With no inside knowledge of the Porsche system architecture, I could envision:
  • A set of controllers that collect telemetry, state, and user input and relay those to a centralized controller (all over a network like CAN). Things like "brake depressed at XX%" and "hood sensor open".
  • The centralized controller is taking myriad inputs and sensor data and determining current state, often dealing with conflicting directives such as "left turn signal activated" AND "hazard lights activated" AND "brake depressed" and then having to prioritize and make a decision about what each light controller should be doing. The centralized controller likely takes the final answer and then sends commands to other controllers on a CAN network, telling them primitives like "light XX%" or "blink at interval Xms".
  • There are interesting questions around how do you keep the front LEDs blinking at the same time as the back LEDs when they are possibly controlled by separate controllers? Or maybe they're not, I don't know.
  • Oh, and the central controller has to make sure that all of the inputs shown to the user are doing the right thing too...the hazard light inside the car has to blink too, when it's supposed to.
It might be a simple fix, but given the time it's taken I suspect that the above is why getting the code changed takes a bit of time. Layer on the testing you have to do to make sure that adjusting the hazard light behavior didn't somehow cause the daytime running lights to have the wrong behavior, and you're eating up more time.

The nightmare scenario is if someone critical to the firmware team left Porsche or went on that 1-month non-refundable vacation to the Mediterranean.

The above is pure speculation and I'm completely surprised by the demonstrated level of incompetence at Porsche. It's making me nervous about this purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by ambitin:
bzimmerman (08-11-2023), svinaik1 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 12:05 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

It is at Davisville since Aug. 5. Production started on June 30 which was after the last date of production for the recalled Cayennes (June 23).
Old 08-11-2023 | 12:08 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

My Cayenne S has been in Davisville since Aug 5 and TYD has been showing ETA at dealer on Sept. 26. Just heard from my SA at my NJ dealer. My Cayenne S is being held at port for the software update; since they expect the fix in the next few days, they didn’t tag it with the recall. So I should expect my Cayenne S to arrive at the dealer in 7-10 days. Looks like the latest would be Aug. 21! 🙏🏻
vpopx2 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 02:29 PM
cervino13
Track Day

Originally Posted by Carman2653
My Cayenne S has been in Davisville since Aug 5 and TYD has been showing ETA at dealer on Sept. 26. Just heard from my SA at my NJ dealer. My Cayenne S is being held at port for the software update; since they expect the fix in the next few days, they didn’t tag it with the recall. So I should expect my Cayenne S to arrive at the dealer in 7-10 days. Looks like the latest would be Aug. 21! 🙏🏻
thanks for this. I’m in the same boat. My S coupe has been in davisville since 8/5 and my car doesn’t have a recall on it per my dealers warranty department and the recall notice. He was going to call back to see why it’s being held at the port but your response clarifies it. Hopefully will get to my dealer within the next week. I’d love to have it before 8/21.
Old 08-11-2023 | 03:19 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

You're welcome! Hope so too!
Old 08-11-2023 | 05:24 PM
rafabmj
AutoX

Default Deliver news

Guys, unfortunately I think I have some bad news. Today I decided to go to the dealer and have a definitive position (specially because my order is a “tailor made” S 2024 - which has all the accessories to be a “GTS” - and, for that reason, my SA told me they would not give my downpayment back if I pull off). After talking with the SA and the GM, they kept the same explanation that they don’t know when the car will be deliver (mine is sitting on the Port), that they “hope” to be in September, “but we cannot guarantee”, etc. Same sh*** that most of us heard. Nevertheless, when I was returning home, I got a call from the SA, that told me he would tell me the truth, if I promise not to identify him(for this reason I am not saying my location, only that is in the US). According to him, the real fact is that Porsche, with the dealers’s blessing, are using this problem to give to the dealers more time to sell the 2023 inventory. He told me that, in fact, the solution for the problem is ready, and could be done next week, but the dealers noticed that during the time they were selling the 23s together with the 24s, they were having a real hard time to sell the 23s, specially the S, and they were up to 20% discount - which, in his words, “kills the dealer gain”. Bottom line is, that, in his opinion, Porsche will hold this stop sale as much they can, until the dealers manage to sell the 23s. I asked him if this could go further than September, and he said yes, and no, because the point is not the problem itself, but how fast the dealers will get ride off the 23s. To be honest I haven’t make my mind if I believe in it or no, but it indeed makes sense.
bzimmerman (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 05:27 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nothing like gasoline to put out a fire.
I'm calling out the GM. I paid for the car and got nothing to show, much easier to pull out from a down payment.
Old 08-11-2023 | 05:32 PM
Carman2653
Advanced

Originally Posted by rafabmj
Guys, unfortunately I think I have some bad news. Today I decided to go to the dealer and have a definitive position (specially because my order is a “tailor made” S 2024 - which has all the accessories to be a “GTS” - and, for that reason, my SA told me they would not give my downpayment back if I pull off). After talking with the SA and the GM, they kept the same explanation that they don’t know when the car will be deliver (mine is sitting on the Port), that they “hope” to be in September, “but we cannot guarantee”, etc. Same sh*** that most of us heard. Nevertheless, when I was returning home, I got a call from the SA, that told me he would tell me the truth, if I promise not to identify him(for this reason I am not saying my location, only that is in the US). According to him, the real fact is that Porsche, with the dealers’s blessing, are using this problem to give to the dealers more time to sell the 2023 inventory. He told me that, in fact, the solution for the problem is ready, and could be done next week, but the dealers noticed that during the time they were selling the 23s together with the 24s, they were having a real hard time to sell the 23s, specially the S, and they were up to 20% discount - which, in his words, “kills the dealer gain”. Bottom line is, that, in his opinion, Porsche will hold this stop sale as much they can, until the dealers manage to sell the 23s. I asked him if this could go further than September, and he said yes, and no, because the point is not the problem itself, but how fast the dealers will get ride off the 23s. To be honest I haven’t make my mind if I believe in it or no, but it indeed makes sense.
I would think that would be the other specific. If the dealer has sold most of the 2023 Cayennes, there would be no need to hold the 2024 model. My dealer is it fairly large one with lots of sales, so maybe why they’re telling me 7–10 days. But we shall see!
bzimmerman (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 05:47 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's not a problem of a single dealer but the whole network. Unfortunately I don't doubt they would behave like badgers.
Old 08-11-2023 | 07:52 PM
JTG13
Instructor

I get everyone is upset about the delay, but in reality a 2 month delay is actually pretty good for a model launch (and the new norm since 2020). When you order a car, its never a guaranteed date of delivery. I'm not sure why someone would trade in their current car before your new car arrives and be mad about being stuck with a rental or with limited options. If you did so because you knew used prices were falling and you wanted to get a better price trading in early, that is the risk you took on personally. That is not Porsche's problem as they never promise a specific delivery date. I sense a lot of first timers ordering and specing cars and a lot of Porsche hate being thrown around on this specific thread for no reason.
SJJ28 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023 | 08:17 PM
bzimmerman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JTG13
I get everyone is upset about the delay, but in reality a 2 month delay is actually pretty good for a model launch (and the new norm since 2020). When you order a car, its never a guaranteed date of delivery. I'm not sure why someone would trade in their current car before your new car arrives and be mad about being stuck with a rental or with limited options. If you did so because you knew used prices were falling and you wanted to get a better price trading in early, that is the risk you took on personally. That is not Porsche's problem as they never promise a specific delivery date. I sense a lot of first timers ordering and specing cars and a lot of Porsche hate being thrown around on this specific thread for no reason.
Sad for the Brand and horrible for the buyer. This S is my 5th special order. My Porsche Dealership was sold to AutoNation 8 years ago. Building same, SA same but servicing staff turnover is high. Historically had a problem and same service manager fixed
it but now service continually tries to sell me on items not due or needed. Beginning to question integrity of my dealership. Bottom line, original post makes sense given Porsche spinoff from Volkswagen and quality of dealership. What a train wreck but will be patient until I won’t.

Last edited by bzimmerman; 08-11-2023 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 24 Cayenne stop sale