Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 09:44 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

We were just told that it’s because of production shifts.

If you had one on order for a customer, they changed to January allocations. That means
most likely March deliveries. No talk with the emails from PCNA about EPA etc..

The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonamayes:
Docmem (06-18-2023), Needsdecaf (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:39 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonamayes
We were just told that it’s because of production shifts.

If you had one on order for a customer, they changed to January allocations. That means
most likely March deliveries. No talk with the emails from PCNA about EPA etc..
That follows what I heard from my dealer. Not surprised especially since the media splash a couple of months ago noted that the hybrid production could be shifted to ROW through 24.

PTS may now be available to me from both a schedule and a financial POV.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:45 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
That follows what I heard from my dealer. Not surprised especially since the media splash a couple of months ago noted that the hybrid production could be shifted to ROW through 24.

PTS may now be available from both a schedule and a financial POV.
it did throw my build into a error status for the wall bracket and the NEMA 14-50 plug, so I wonder if it has to do with the limit/shortage of chargers??
Old 06-17-2023, 11:49 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

it did throw my build into a error status for the wall bracket and the NEMA 14-50 plug, so I wonder if it has to do with the limit/shortage of chargers??
If so, how ironic. Plan A for me has always been to buy a Charge Point from Amazon. The Porsche supplied charger would be just something else to find a place for in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 09:01 AM
JArnald
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Is this only for the US?

Were you allowed to order an e-hybrid in the US? From what I was reading at the launch the e-hybrid was not available in the US - only the base, S and the Turbo GT were supposedly launched in the US.

Any uk/eu members have any info?
I live in Canada and all my dates changed to 'Not Scheduled'.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:54 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,913 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Just a Note: the MY'24 Cayenne has an 11 kW on board charger (this is a significant and beneficial upgrade from the 3.6 kW (standard) or 7.2 kW (optional) on board charger of previous models) - 11 kW matches the Taycan's standard onboard charger capacity - 11 kW onboard charger is overkill for a Hybrid battery size, but this is a great thing and 11 kW charger should be able to fully charge the new Cayenne's 25.9 kWh battery in less than 2.5 hours - simply awesome…honestly

I believe the addition of the 11 kW onboard charger is not because they honestly cared about 11 kW for an hybrid, but this is the part in the supply chain for the Taycan, Audi eTron's, and Macan EV - it's most likley a standardization/simplification effort for their supply chain - and this is a great addition and world class charging speed for a Hybrid - kudo's to Porsche on this front.

3.6 kW is a 240V 20 amp breaker (16 amps of charging) - MY'23 and earlier hybrids
7.2 kW is a 240V 40 amp breaker (32 amps of charging) - MY'23 and earlie hybrid (optional)
any/all NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE are 50 amp breakers that can provide 9.6 kW of charging (40 amps)

11 kW of charging speed requires a 60 amp breaker which provides 48 amps of charging speed can NOT be provided by _ANY_ North American NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE - a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug is a 50 amp circuit by design/specification and therefore limited to 9.6 kW (still a major upgrade in charging speed from the previous 7.2 kW max charge rate of previous Cayenne Hybrids)

I highly recommend you consider installing a 11 kW EVSE for your '24 Hybrid Cayenne - it will match the Cayenee's potential max charging speed and also be good for any future full EV charging (Taycan, Macan EV or the boxster 718 EV).

60 amp EVSE (EV chargers) must be hardwired in North America due to building codes and can not be NEMA plug based. Excellent high quality EVSE alternatives that can do 48 amps are:
  • Enphase/ClipperCreek HCS-60
  • ChargePoint Flex has 60/48 amp EVSE (check the specs)
  • Wallbox+ has a 48 amp EVSE - $649 on amazon
  • Tesla J-1772 wall charger $550
  • JuiceBox
  • others…
many of the chargers listed above are "adjustable" - you can install them with any breaker you like and configure the EVSE to "match" the breaker size you have installed.

the included Porsche EVSE (the PMC+/PMCC) is a plug based mobile EVSE and can be ordered with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 power supply cable - it is limited to 9.6 kW (like _ALL_ mobile/plug-based EVSEs) - and has a less than stellar reputation in the Taycan community when attempting to use it at it's full 9.6 kW potential - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

Porsche's North American guide for installing an EVSE is also excellent and short read - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...nalysis.13902/ for any guidance on your home EV dedicated circuit install.

you can also read up about all things EVSE (EV charger's here)

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...f-text….11745/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...ging-kit.6812/

TLDR; this is your first hybrid/EV - not your last - if you have the electrician install a slightly bigger (more amp) circuit for your EV it will be good for this and your next hybrid/EV - and will only require one install, one permit, and you'll be good for much longer. A good high quality EVSE is a decade long purchase and transcends any single EV you'll own - they are not vendor/vehicle specific and therefore can be bought separately from the vendor. There are affordable and higher quality EVSE choices vs the one included from Porsche which has issues - The incremental cost to install a 60 amp circuit over a 50 amp circuit is trivial, but will charge your Cayenne or Taycan or Macan EV 20% faster than any NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE…

the included Porsche PMC+/PMCC is not our favorite brand's best efforts and it has real problems and limitations vs. virtually any alternative EVSE on the market. Many in the Taycan community are much happier with their non-Porsche branded EVSE.

NOTE: even if you choose to install a NEMA 14-50/6-50 socket - have the electrician install wire suitable for 80/60 amp loads - this presents no problem to run a 50 amp circuit on wire rated for 60/80 amps - you'll thank me later when it comes time to "upgrade" your home EV charging setup that all you need to do is swap the breaker and hardwire the new higher capacity EVSE into the existing NEMA 14-50/-6-50 junction box. The install cost of any given 240V circuit is not the amount of amps, but rather the labor to pull the new wire segment from the breaker to the plug location - it's virtually the same cost to pull 50 amp wire as it is to pull 80 rated wire - so pull the bigger amp wire - and it will be literally trivial to upgrade your EVSE in the future from a plug based 50 amp unit, to a hardwired 60/80 amp unit.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-18-2023 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Charles Everson (10-26-2023), Needsdecaf (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:23 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,913 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Just a Note: the MY'24 Cayenne has an 11 kW on board charger (this is a significant and beneficial upgrade from the 3.6 kW (standard) or 7.2 kW (optional) on board charger of previous models) - 11 kW matches the Taycan's standard onboard charger capacity - 11 kW onboard charger is overkill for a Hybrid battery size, but this is a great thing and 11 kW charger should be able to fully charge the new Cayenne's 25.9 kWh battery in less than 2.5 hours - simply awesome…honestly

I believe the addition of the 11 kW onboard charger is not because they honestly cared about 11 kW for an hybrid, but this is the part in the supply chain for the Taycan, Audi eTron's, and Macan EV - it's most likley a standardization/simplification effort for their supply chain - and this is a great addition and world class charging speed for a Hybrid - kudo's to Porsche on this front.

3.6 kW is a 240V 20 amp breaker (16 amps of charging) - MY'23 and earlier hybrids
7.2 kW is a 240V 40 amp breaker (32 amps of charging) - MY'23 and earlie hybrid (optional)
any/all NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE are 50 amp breakers that can provide 9.6 kW of charging (40 amps)

11 kW of charging speed requires a 60 amp breaker which provides 48 amps of charging speed can NOT be provided by _ANY_ North American NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE - a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug is a 50 amp circuit by design/specification and therefore limited to 9.6 kW (still a major upgrade in charging speed from the previous 7.2 kW max charge rate of previous Cayenne Hybrids)

I highly recommend you consider installing a 11 kW EVSE for your '24 Hybrid Cayenne - it will match the Cayenee's potential max charging speed and also be good for any future full EV charging (Taycan, Macan EV or the boxster 718 EV).

60 amp EVSE (EV chargers) must be hardwired in North America due to building codes and can not be NEMA plug based. Excellent high quality EVSE alternatives that can do 48 amps are:
  • Enphase/ClipperCreek HCS-60
  • ChargePoint Flex has 60/48 amp EVSE (check the specs)
  • Wallbox+ has a 48 amp EVSE - $649 on amazon
  • Tesla J-1772 wall charger $550
  • JuiceBox
  • others…
many of the chargers listed above are "adjustable" - you can install them with any breaker you like and configure the EVSE to "match" the breaker size you have installed.

the included Porsche EVSE (the PMC+/PMCC) is a plug based mobile EVSE and can be ordered with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 power supply cable - it is limited to 9.6 kW (like _ALL_ mobile/plug-based EVSEs) - and has a less than stellar reputation in the Taycan community when attempting to use it at it's full 9.6 kW potential - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

Porsche's North American guide for installing an EVSE is also excellent and short read - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...nalysis.13902/ for any guidance on your home EV dedicated circuit install.

you can also read up about all things EVSE (EV charger's here)

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...….11745/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...ging-kit.6812/

TLDR; this is your first hybrid/EV - not your last - if you have the electrician install a slightly bigger (more amp) circuit for your EV it will be good for this and your next hybrid/EV - and will only require one install, one permit, and you'll be good for much longer. A good high quality EVSE is a decade long purchase and transcends any single EV you'll own - they are not vendor/vehicle specific and therefore can be bought separately from the vendor. There are affordable and higher quality EVSE choices that the one included from Porsche. The incremental cost to install a 60 amp circuit over a 50 amp circuit is trivial, but will charge your Cayenne or Taycan or Macan EV 20% faster than any NEMA 14-50/6-50 based EVSE…

the included Porsche PMC+/PMCC is not our favorite brand's best efforts and it has real problems and limitations vs. virtually any alternative EVSE on the market. Many in the Taycan community are much happier with their non-Porsche branded EVSE.
Strangely enough Porsche ships the Cayenne standard with a NEMA 6-50 power supply cable (optional NEMA 14-50 powersupply cable is $0 at order time - $200 as a service part after order)
Porsche ships the Taycan standard with a NEMA 14-50 power supply cable (optional NEMA 6-50 power supply cable is $0 at order time - $200 as a service part after order)

the actual EVSE unit itself is identical and standard across the Audi/Porsche EV lines - they are not vehicle/vendor specific and can charge any EV - but Porsche ships the same unit with with two difference power supply cables for North America - it's is a bit of right hand not knowing what left hand is doing - why ship the same EVSE (EV charger) unit to the same geographic region with two different/alternative 50 amp power supply cables?? Seriously Porsche, get on the same page…since most people will install which ever plug comes as standard with the vehicle's included EVSE…

NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 plugs are identical 50 amp circuits for 240V and both offer identical 9.6 kW maximum EV charge rate. It is also possible to purchase a $30 "adapter" from amazon that will allow you to convert one type of plug to another - and for an electrician to convert a 14-50 to 6-50 plug from one to the other is less than one hour of labor (but the $90 commercial grade hubble 14-50/6-50 electrical socket is the major cost in this endeavor)

as to why Porsche ships the hybrid standard with 6-50 plug and the Taycan with 14-50 is unclear to me - but I believe it's because the Hybrid pre-dates the Taycan and they were less concerned with using hte Hybrid's PMC+/PMCC mobile EVSE while traveling away from home. The choice of the NEMA plug is not a functional choice (your electrician can install either for the same cost and performance) - it has more to do with where you expect to use the EV Charger (EVSE) while away from home. If you have a 6-50 based EVSE when traveling away from home you can only use it if you find other NEMA 6-50 plugs - a real limitation for a FULL Ev, but less concerning for a Hybrid with a gas tank…

NEMA 14-50 is the more common plug you'll find when traveling "out in the wild" since it's the most common plug recommended by other EV vendors, and also is what you use for Power for a Motorhome (any RV camp/park with power hookups provide a NEMA 14-50 240V/50 amp circuit for your RV pleasure power needs) - so when traveling you are much much more likely to encounter a NEMA 14-50 plug than a 6-50 plug…in North America.

it honestly does not matter because if you have one (it doesn't matter which) get an adapter/converter to allow you to use the other is less than $30 - or you can simply purchase the other plug from Porsche for $200 and you can have "both" for your PMC+/PMCC - the power supply cable for the PMC+/PMCC is modular and swappable - so you can convert the PMC+/PMCC to any type of NEMA plug "on the fly" by swapping the power supply cable if you own the cables. Porsche has 5 power supply cable options for North America
  • NEMA 5-15 (house hold plug) - 1.44 kW charge rate
  • NEMA 14-30 - (electric water heater/dryer plug) - 5.76 kW charge rate
  • NEMA 6-30 - (older style water heater/dryer plug) - 5.76 kW charge rate
  • NEMA 14-50 - 9.6 kW charge rate
  • NEMA 6-50 - 9.6 kW charge rate
Porsche charges $150 to $230 for each of the above powersupply cable - this is excessive - and you can purchase ENTIRE high quality alternative mobile EVSE's that are smaller, lighter, less fragile, and more flexible for less than $300 (about the cost of _ONE_ power supply cable from Porsche) and the alternatives offer more NEMA adapters for your road warrior EV/Hybrid traveling needs.

so the decision about 6-50 vs. 14-50 has very very little to do with your home charging set up - because you simply order which ever one "matches" your home installation - or make your home installation "match" what you ordered with the vehicle (no big deal) - it's more about what type of plug do you want "to travel with" and 14-50 is what you're more likely to encounter when away from home - so if that's what you got with the car, you're more likley to be able to use it when traveling. Again not as big a concern with a Hybrid as it is for a pure EV…

my Preference these days for home installes is the NEMA 6-50 (even for a dedicated full BEV) - it's less wire (no 4th neutral wire that is unused by EVSE's) - and more "focused" as an EV dedicated plug. Plus teh 14-50 adapter which lets me plug a 6-50 based EVSE into a 14-50 plug when traveling away from home is less than $30 - so one makes that part of the "road warrior" EV charging kit - and volia you can use either a 6-50 plug or 14-50 plug so you're never without the ability to charge at either type of plug.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 06-18-2023 at 10:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Apntra (07-20-2023), Needsdecaf (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:04 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Just a Note: the MY'24 Cayenne has an 11 kW on board charger (this is a significant and beneficial upgrade from the 3.6 kW (standard) or 7.2 kW (optional) on board charger of previous models) - 11 kW matches the Taycan's standard onboard charger capacity - 11 kW onboard charger is overkill for a Hybrid battery size, but this is a great thing and 11 kW charger should be able to fully charge the new Cayenne's 25.9 kWh battery in less than 2.5 hours - simply awesome…honestly...
Thanks for the info. I've seen something like that in another post, so I got my electrician to quote the installation of a 60 amp circuit that I will hardwire into a ChargePoint. Now, as soon as it looks like Porsche will actually build my car I will go ahead and have him install it.
daveo4porsche (06-18-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 585 Posts

I just called my dealer / SA - and they don't know anything yet. But my estimated delivery was December when I got a build slot (status V200). They are having computer issues but my build status went to V100?
Old 06-20-2023, 07:38 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

All of the allocations that were KF (customer cars) got moved to January allocations. The orders that weren’t customer cars, got basically deleted and were replaced with other base Cayennes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonamayes:
d9m13n (07-05-2023), rodsky (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:29 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

All of the allocations that were KF (customer cars) got moved to January allocations. The orders that weren’t customer cars, got basically deleted and were replaced with other base Cayennes.
Makes sense vs what I’ve heard. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2023, 01:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

This is basically what my SA told me - trying to figure out when I will actually get the car (March?)..
Electric Lizard (07-04-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 04:22 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

There is some shortage of these latest generation hybrid modules from ZF which is causing the delays. There are similar delays at BMW for the new 50e powertrain and Range Rover with the p550e power train.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:33 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Might also have to do with the (trying) of standardizing the NACS (Telsa type) charge plug??
LDT (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 06:52 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Might also have to do with the (trying) of standardizing the NACS (Telsa type) charge plug??
Are they definitely going to switch to NACS (from CCS?)?

Quick Reply: All Hybrid Builds have been Delayed until at least January