Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

9Y0 Cayenne Turbo 40,000 mile service $5000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 04:03 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by RG928
They are saying that this is model specific and that base does not have the temp sensor....

Is “they” the dealer?

Very easy for you or the dealer to check - crawl under the look at the bottom right (5 o’clock position) of the torque transfer coupling. The temp sensor is right there.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:16 AM
RG928
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Is “they” the dealer?

Very easy for you or the dealer to check - crawl under the look at the bottom right (5 o’clock position) of the torque transfer coupling. The temp sensor is right there.

Yes "they" is the Porsche dealer. They swear there is not one. My car is a early build 2019 so maybe that's why? I don't know why they wouldn't want to change it if its called for.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:24 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Yes "they" is the Porsche dealer. They swear there is not one. My car is a early build 2019 so maybe that's why? I don't know why they wouldn't want to change it if its called for.
Please post your VIN.

Did you notice the VIN in the partslink24 screenshot in the other thread? It is a 2019 base.

If the dealer did not replace the temp sensor they did not follow their marching orders from Porsche (PCSS) and did an incomplete job and reduced their own cost of the project in terms of both time and materials.

Whether this matters or not to vehicle performance is a separate question. Lease and dump or short term ownership probably is not affected by this. For long term ownership the sensor should be replaced.

Last edited by chassis; 10-03-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:59 PM
RG928
Advanced

VIN- WP1AA2AY3KDA00764
Old 10-03-2023, 08:33 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Valid part number for your car. You would be justified to demand they re-do the job or to refund you ~$200 for parts they didn't install and labor they didn't incur. Or you could let it go and not worry about it. What is your time horizon for owning this vehicle?

Last edited by chassis; 10-03-2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:25 AM
RG928
Advanced

Thanks, but this doesn't really give me ammunition to say look here, this part is part of the service on my car. SA said some require it some don't. I don't know what else to do here. I raised the issue several times and they claim it is not needed.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:36 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but this doesn't really give me ammunition to say look here, this part is part of the service on my car. SA said some require it some don't. I don't know what else to do here. I raised the issue several times and they claim it is not needed.
Not much to do then. You need PCSS access, which requires an LLC and Porsche approval. The dealer is blowing smoke.

It’s probably a non-issue if you are leasing or owning short term. How long do you plan to own this car?

Last edited by chassis; 10-04-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:45 PM
RG928
Advanced

Not sure how long I’ll keep it… how does this sensor affect anything? Why would the dealer basically refuse the parts sale when I asked and brought this up half a dozen times and even proved a copy of another invoice showing the part? I’ve used this dealer for years on various cars they sell and service (Mercedes, BMW, Porsche dealer) and I want to trust them but this one is odd to me. There is no part charged on my invoice other than fluid and 3 plugs.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:31 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Not sure how long I’ll keep it… how does this sensor affect anything? Why would the dealer basically refuse the parts sale when I asked and brought this up half a dozen times and even proved a copy of another invoice showing the part? I’ve used this dealer for years on various cars they sell and service (Mercedes, BMW, Porsche dealer) and I want to trust them but this one is odd to me. There is no part charged on my invoice other than fluid and 3 plugs.
If the $200 is meaningful to you, ask the dealer to print the PCSS procedures with your VIN listed. Then the two of you could agree together on what is or is not required.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:57 AM
browndo
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this. I have everything to do the transfer case job in my cart but b4 I click OK, I see that yours is an S. I have a BASE. Do you know if parts/procedure are same. Would assume yes but...
Thanks - Doug

Last edited by browndo; 12-12-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 12-12-2023, 04:33 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Use the top vacuum oil extractor as many have done for decades, and the whole deal takes 45 minutes for me once I knew the steps and tools.. The first time may take you less than 2 hours going slow.

Draining the oil from the bottom is an unnecessary pain in the @ss and very time consuming..

You can start at your own pace.. This video was done practically with one hand, and the other hand had the phone camera..

It lists the few tools required for a 2019 9Y0 Cayenne S.. All others are similar or even easier..

In reality, don't know why Porsche raised their oil service prices from around $500 to around $1,100, since even kids in high-school vehicle vocational programs, around here, are easily doing these oil services..

They should open a quick small Porsche, Mercedes, Audi shop oil change service shop chain, and they will get large profits out of high school.. or for a quick job after hours.

Old 06-07-2024, 10:12 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Changed the "transfer gear", aka transfer case or "hang-on" AWD coupling oil. Car has 35,000 miles now.

Psychosomatically, I kept telling myself the 60mph vibration is reduced after the oil change. Hard to say, I will keep an eye/ear on it.

Took 2 hours including Italian tuneup, excluding mise en place and cleanup. Next time it will take 1 or 1.5 hours.

992907527A temp sensor with crush washer, qty: 1, $150 delivered. Ordered from porscheatlantaperimeter, in stock.
955-301-115-01 drain and fill plugs, qty: 2. Ordered together with oil from Pelican Parts. Drain plugs come with sealing compound already applied, no crush washer needed.
000-043-305-63 oil, qty: 850ml bottle. $121 delivered for the 2 plugs and oil from Pelican Parts, in stock.
PAF91203204 vibration damper screws, qty: 5. $25 delivered from porscheatlantaperimeter, not in stock. Had to wait a bit for these.

$296 total parts, $0 labor (DIY).

Everything is very easy in principle. Once you get under the car and see what's there, you will see it is not rocket science. The challenge is access with hands and tools. It's a little cramped with the electronic control module for the torque coupling, propshaft and exhaust taking up space.

PRO TIP: put the vehicle in TERRAIN chassis height. This increases under vehicle space considerably. This job would not have been possible without TERRAIN height, ramps or a lift. There is too little ground clearance at the standard chassis height.

- raise vehicle (TERRAIN, ramps, quickjack, jackstands or lift)
- remove vibration isolator heat shield, discard 2 screws. M10 triple square bit required.
- remove vibration isolator, discard 3 screws. M10 triple square bit required.
- check that the fill plug can be moved, in other words it is not frozen, then remove the fill plug and discard. 8mm hex bit required.
- remove wiring harness from temperature sensor, move pigtail out of the way. The connector is the typical German-style slide the tab back, squeeze and wiggle procedure.
- remove temperature sensor, catch spurt of oil with drain pan. 17mm deep socket required.
- remove drain plug, catch remaining oil. 8mm hex bit required.
- install new temperature sensor, torque to 14Nm. 17mm deep socket.
- install new drain plug, torque to 18Nm. 8mm hex bit.
- fill oil to overflowing out of fill port, confirm with fingertip that oil level is at the edge of the fill port (normal drivetrain fill procedure). I use a Motive pressurized fill bottle with ball valve.
- install new fill plug, torque to 18Nm. 8mm hex bit.
- install 3 new vibration insulator screws, torque to 28Nm. M10 triple square bit.
- install 2 new heat shield screws, torque to 28Nm. M10 triple square bit.

Wash up, Italian tuneup, clean up and put away tools, dispose used oil properly.

Sorry no pics, working space was cramped and most of the time I am not patient enough for documentation!

Is the temp sensor the same part number for a 2021 Cayenne S Coupe? My 40k service is due and the dealer quote was a bit steep, $2700. Im more than capable of the work, but I am having trouble finding a service manual with part numbers and torque specs etc like I have for my 993.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:54 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Is the temp sensor the same part number for a 2021 Cayenne S Coupe? My 40k service is due and the dealer quote was a bit steep, $2700. Im more than capable of the work, but I am having trouble finding a service manual with part numbers and torque specs etc like I have for my 993.
Yes the temp sensor is the same. Parts list is available for <$20 24 hour subscription to partslink24.

Torque specs are listed above for the transfer gear job.

Oil change part numbers and torques are listed above.

Engine air filter part number is listed many times on this site.

Spark plug job torques are posted on this site.

Last edited by chassis; 06-07-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:20 PM
MiFast
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait till you have to do the brakes if you don't do them yourself. Also the spark plug change is very involved for the 4.0 turbo. It's an amazing car and we picked ours up on European delivery at the Leipzig factory. Found an open 3 lane section of Autobahn and reached 184mph with still some more room to go but approaching traffic said slow down.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:28 PM
MiFast
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder sometimes about dealer service and the expense. I have a 2019 Cayenne w 151K miles and have started to get some white warnings which I thought I would bring down to the dealer to get resolved. Basically while the car runs perfect they recommended I replace the transmission for $23K or I could just replace the megatronics unit but not guarantees at $9800 and that money would be lost if you had to get a transmission. Gone our the days of salvage parts since everything in most Porsches are linked to the computer and the dealer only installs factory new. Obviously makes no sense to put $23K in this car so I'll drive it till it stops driving.
I do all the fluid changes and brakes etc so it has only been to the dealer for the 10K service and one time around 70K miles for commuter brain reset. Besides this the car has given me zero issues. My previous Cayennes saw close to 300K miles each so I'm a tad disappointed. So on the up side getting a new Porsche is in the near future but a few $$$$
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: 9Y0 Cayenne Turbo 40,000 mile service $5000?