Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

9Y0 Cayenne Turbo 40,000 mile service $5000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 12:15 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 23109vc
I saw a video on youtube of what is involved for just an oil change and thought ‘ NO THANK YOU. When I was in college and had no money, and spare time - wrenching on the car was fun. At 50, I don’t enjoy it and would rather someone else to do it and do it right. Look at this if you think you want to DIY…

https://youtu.be/v6iev6EvFXI
I am in my 60's, and performing the oil change using a vacuum oil extractor. It's a breeze and very easy to work from the top engine area.

And sure, each person is free to have their own preference on what/how to do it for a multitude of reasons.

My Porsche dealer was asking $1100.00+, for a SIMPLE oil change and mostly visual inspection, which is not right. Luckily for me, I can do the basic service myself and just use the dealer for real issues, if ever needed. But, I feel sorry for those people being forced to pay $1,100+ for such a basic labor, willingly or not.

There is so much you can overprice/hype plain type services with marketing bling. I will not waste my money on 3rd party owned greedy servicing dealers.

Talk to a friend some time ago. His son's school have a vehicle training shop, and they work on Porsche, BMW, and any brand vehicle.. just as training.. They do oil changes, brakes, etc.. I think they just take a donation or nothing, but you need to bring the parts..

What is worse with many dealers, they just ignore your problems/complains, deny the problem even exists, say they never heard about any similar issue when it is a well known issue, string you you with fixes not related to the root problem, makes you wait for weeks, after days/weeks will give you back your vehicle stating that they could not reproduce the problem, and when it comes to very simple maintenance, then they over charge you with ultra-prime prices.

Porsche company loses countless amount of vehicle sales, because here in America, regional dealers are own many times by the same people/ring and monopolistically overcharge customers even on basic services, which scares wealthy potential customers that become aware of the secondary dealer costs from other owners.

The latter is why money savvy people has flocked to Lexus, Infinity, Tesla, etc. where those brands growth have become hugely successful, and will continue to grow in success in the future.

The days were Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, etc.. had the most powerful engines/technologies are over.. Even newly player Tesla vehicles are below 3 seconds 0-60 mph, so the writing is on the wall and vehicle makers will need to make quick changes to their dealer strategy/partnership to avoid further deadly spiraling.

Sure, there are people who blings their money all over (and if they don't use chauffeurs) and pay overprice prices for everything, but those people don't contribute to vehicle companies growth, are a miniscule/niche minority, and/or will not make the company be financially viable these days. Even more, when there isn't much performance/engine/technology difference beetween brands these days any more.

People decide and willingly pay high dollars for high-end vehicles. The secondary hidden service and repair dealer costs are normally hidden within lots of bling marketing..

Oil change is an easy 45 minutes after you have done it a couple of times, most of the time becomes spent waiting for the oil vacuum extractor to finish extracting the oil while I take a brake.

Of course, it is always your personal choice..

Gather in advance all the basic tools that you need to get to make your life easy..

You'll need a service reset tool, or you can go to a mechanic shop for a small fee or a friend owning a reset tool to have it reset.

Here is a good end-to-end clip on how to do an oil service on a 2019 Cayenne S twin turbo. Engine air filter change becomes free, since you have to eadily remove it anyway, and it's a no brainer.

The following 3 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
C5 Pete (09-13-2023), chassis (07-27-2023), mdrobc1213 (10-14-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:21 PM
Oldboy52
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 19 Cayenne S 4 Year Service Performed

I know this isn’t a turbo, but I just had my 4 year/40k service on my 19 S at my local Porsche dealer and I think there may be an interest in what was done for the service and outcomes for issues I asked to be addressed.

I’m not sure what’s different between and S and a turbo (other than quantity of spark plugs) and why this would bump turbo service cost to $5k.

Cost was $2793 which matched a quote I got a couple of months ago. The following services were performed.

· Courtesy inspection and on-board diagnostic check: Functional inspection of wipers, horn, battery, lights, radiators, brakes, axle shafts, drive shaft, fluid levels, tire pressure & TPMS system check, body drains, parking brake, heating/ac system, seat belts and drive belt

· Oil/filter change,

· Cabin filter change,

· Engine air filter change,

· Spark plugs change,

· Transfer case fluid and temperature sensor change,

· Brake fluid change

· New wipers, and

· Complementary wash and internal vacuum.

They also did a free pickup and delivery – 30 miles each way because a loaner was unavailable.

I also asked that following issues be addressed and here are their actions:

· Front passenger door rear vertical molding is loose: dealer replaced at no charge.

· PCM randomly becomes unresponsive to operator inputs while underway. My operational work around: stop the vehicle, turn the vehicle off, open and close driver door and restart the vehicle (what a pain). Dealer response: inspected PCM with PIWIS tester and found no faults, dealer reset PCM (losing all my configuration settings as a part of this process – took quite some time on my part to reprogram everything the way I had it). Dealer explanation: “Per owners manual if too much personal data such as text messages and emojis get saved to PCM it can effect pcm performance and the PCM reboots in order to correct itself. Vehicle performs the same as other similar vehicles” My reaction: BS. Ironically, it happened again the 2nd time I drove my vehicle after I got it back. Clearly a software problem. I’m trying to identify the specific sequence of events that causes this.

· Homelink repeatedly fails to operate garage doors after about two weeks of being programmed. Has happened repeatedly since vehicle purchased in Jan 2023. Dealer response: Used PIWIS tester and checked for faults and found none. Dealer explanation: “Per owners manual if the garage door has a rolling code system it needs to be programmed correctly with the home link system in order for the rolling code to transfer to home link. Vehicle performs the same as other vehicles” My reaction: Their response implies the vehicle Homelink system was erroneously programmed. How can this be since I used the vehicles build in programming tool and successfully programmed the system. It works every day for ~2 weeks, then stops working. I see this as a serious defect and will continue to pursue. As an aside, my 14 Cayman operates the same garage doors via Homelink and has never needed reprogramming.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 04:38 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oldboy52
I know this isn’t a turbo, but I just had my 4 year/40k service on my 19 S at my local Porsche dealer and I think there may be an interest in what was done for the service and outcomes for issues I asked to be addressed.

I’m not sure what’s different between and S and a turbo (other than quantity of spark plugs) and why this would bump turbo service cost to $5k.

Cost was $2793 which matched a quote I got a couple of months ago. The following services were performed.

· Courtesy inspection and on-board diagnostic check: Functional inspection of wipers, horn, battery, lights, radiators, brakes, axle shafts, drive shaft, fluid levels, tire pressure & TPMS system check, body drains, parking brake, heating/ac system, seat belts and drive belt

· Oil/filter change,

· Cabin filter change,

· Spark plugs change,

· Brake fluid change

· New wipers, and

They also did a free pickup and delivery – 30 miles each way because a loaner was unavailable.

· Front passenger door rear vertical molding is loose: dealer replaced at no charge.

· PCM randomly becomes unresponsive to operator inputs while underway. My operational work around: stop the vehicle, turn the vehicle off, open and close driver door and restart the vehicle (what a pain). Dealer response: inspected PCM with PIWIS tester and found no faults, dealer reset PCM (losing all my configuration settings as a part of this process – took quite some time on my part to reprogram everything the way I had it). Dealer explanation: “Per owners manual if too much personal data such as text messages and emojis get saved to PCM it can effect pcm performance and the PCM reboots in order to correct itself. Vehicle performs the same as other similar vehicles” My reaction: BS. Ironically, it happened again the 2nd time I drove my vehicle after I got it back. Clearly a software problem. I’m trying to identify the specific sequence of events that causes this.

· Homelink repeatedly fails to operate garage doors after about two weeks of being programmed. Has happened repeatedly since vehicle purchased in Jan 2023. Dealer response: Used PIWIS tester and checked for faults and found none. Dealer explanation: “Per owners manual if the garage door has a rolling code system it needs to be programmed correctly with the home link system in order for the rolling code to transfer to home link. Vehicle performs the same as other vehicles” My reaction: Their response implies the vehicle Homelink system was erroneously programmed. How can this be since I used the vehicles build in programming tool and successfully programmed the system. It works every day for ~2 weeks, then stops working. I see this as a serious defect and will continue to pursue. As an aside, my 14 Cayman operates the same garage doors via Homelink and has never needed reprogramming.
If they come to pick up your car from your house again, make them program your remote control to see if they are full of it.

Once it's programmed and works, it should continue to work unless there is a problem with the hardware or the software..

Porsche needs to rearrange its partnership with greedy, mediocre service, and overcharging American vehicle dealers or Porsche is going to continue to fail to compete with practically maintainace-free EV's..

Higher power, larger, and longer milage EVs are on their way..

My neighbor has a Tesla and has solar panels, and pays no electricity for charging it, and has practically no maintenance costs.. No engine spark plugs, no engine air filter, no oil changes, no steering fluids, no radiator fluid, etc..

Many high end American vehicle dealers have gotten used to treat their customers as profitable big ego cash cows. They have been blocking Tesla from opening dealers here in Texas because it will doom their fast cash cow bussiness, but these dealers are dooming Porsche and other high end vehicles maker's sales by providing poor/overpriced service, and people are now having great other choices.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:33 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Your 2019 Porsche Cayenne S is a 6 Cylinder, as opposed to the Turbo having 8 Cylinders--the engine is larger and takes up more room under the hood. Two more plugs and a lot harder to work on, I've worked on both and struggle with changing the plugs on mine (CTT).

But, not a bad deal for all of those services, which I think I'll complete for less than $400. I have overhauled engines in my past life, but am white collar and don't wrench much anymore, but am finding it satisfying, as opposed to my job where I don't see the results of my work, money just moves around, not very mentally satisfying, to be honest.

I just did my wife's Panamera, 6 cylinder like your car, took me about two hours. I took my time and enjoyed it, except the damn heat that crept in.

The dealers are over-charging for a lot of these services, and you just have to decide if you want to pay for them. Hell, it took me fifteen minutes to do the pollen filter, ten to do the engine filter, a couple hours for the oil change, which I can now do in under 1hr. Knowing the car intimately gives me a lot of satisfaction, but I get it. If you can continue to get great deals on service, wonderful. I just get tired of playing one dealer against another or an independent.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 07-29-2023 at 11:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SilverSteel:
chassis (07-29-2023), Oldboy52 (07-30-2023), toma nova (09-14-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 11:41 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

· Oil/filter change,

· Cabin filter change,

· Spark plugs change,

· Brake fluid change

· New wipers, and

Impressive list of work done. The price is expensive but not unreasonable. Not too much higher than an MB dealer would charge for the same services. Quite a bit higher than what a BMW dealer would charge.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:52 AM
Oldboy52
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Your 2019 Porsche Cayenne S is a 6 Cylinder, as opposed to the Turbo having 8 Cylinders--the engine is larger and takes up more room under the hood. Two more plugs and a lot harder to work on, I've worked on both and struggle with changing the plugs on mine (CTT).

But, not a bad deal for all of those services, which I think I'll complete for less than $400. I have overhauled engines in my past life, but am white collar and don't wrench much anymore, but am finding it satisfying, as opposed to my job where I don't see the results of my work, money just moves around, not very mentally satisfying, to be honest.

I just did my wife's Panamera, 6 cylinder like your car, took me about two hours. I took my time and enjoyed it, except the damn heat that crept in.

The dealers are over-charging for a lot of these services, and you just have to decide if you want to pay for them. Hell, it took me fifteen minutes to do the pollen filter, ten to do the engine filter, a couple hours for the oil change, which I can now do in under 1hr. Knowing the car intimately gives me a lot of satisfaction, but I get it. If you can continue to get great deals on service, wonderful. I just get tired of playing one dealer against another or an independent.
Good to know on V8 cramped quarters. Agreed on dealers over charging, but I always have the dealer do all scheduled maintenance while the vehicle is still under warranty. After the warranty expires in two years, I'll do almost all the maintenance. I then have the dealer or trusted independent do the maintenance items I don't want to or can't do. A brake fluid flush comes to mind - I hate brake fluid.
SilverSteel (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 05:38 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I totally agree, let the dealer do the work until the warranty expired. I subscribe to that as well.

Yeah, I'm not going to do the brake fluid, likely. It's expensive and messy. The extractor can do it, but even then, a lot goes to waste.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverSteel:
chassis (07-31-2023), Oldboy52 (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 09:17 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mglane83
Just had my 40k recently which revealed, upon the routine inspection, that my ‘19 S needed needed new brakes. This added roughly another $3k. Sounds like some of those estimates might be including brake replacement cost and some are just quoted as brake inspection.
I don't drive slow, and my 2019 Cayenne S brakes haven't been changed yet at 81,000 miles.

I am sure they it will need soon, but no sensor warning yet, and the brake pads still have some life left.

Did you ask how many mm of brake pad do you have left? They should have told you, and should be written in your order for each wheel..
chassis (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:27 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I totally agree, let the dealer do the work until the warranty expired. I subscribe to that as well.

Yeah, I'm not going to do the brake fluid, likely. It's expensive and messy. The extractor can do it, but even then, a lot goes to waste.
I like changing the brake fluid. After many times doing this job with an MB and BMW, the Porsche is easy, and uses the identical procedure as the other German brands. I use 1 liter of fluid on the Cayenne and a Motive power bleeder. It's enough fluid and the bleeder is a great tool.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:04 PM
Oldboy52
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
I don't drive slow, and my 2019 Cayenne S brakes haven't been changed yet at 81,000 miles.

I am sure they it will need soon, but no sensor warning yet, and the brake pads still have some life left.

Did you ask how many mm of brake pad do you have left? They should have told you, and should be written in your order for each wheel..
I'm not who this is intended for but, my data is 28k miles, 7mm front, 8 mm rear. Not sure how many mm thick a new pad is...
chassis (07-31-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 06:01 PM
westwinter
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding some data points. Just had my 2020 S in for a major service at 32,000 miles. The service included oil and engine filter change, brake fluid change, and transfer gear fluid change. I was billed $220 for a temperature sensor 992-907-527-A. When asked about it, apparently its part of the transfer gear oil service. The service bill came to $1450.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:18 PM
RG928
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Can anyone confirm that sensor replacement is part of the transfer case service? I just had this done and no sensor replacement. Also found a trans line leak from cooler so had to replace some fluid all covered under extended warranty. Did I just pay for the same service twice? Thanks
chassis (09-12-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:27 PM
runfish
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RG928
Can anyone confirm that sensor replacement is part of the transfer case service? I just had this done and no sensor replacement. Also found a trans line leak from cooler so had to replace some fluid all covered under extended warranty. Did I just pay for the same service twice? Thanks
How much did you pay for the transfer case fluid change?
Old 08-29-2023, 10:36 PM
Oldboy52
Instructor

Originally Posted by RG928
I had my 4yr service performed at my local Porsche dealer mid July. The transfer case service was performed which included a fluid change, a new drain plug, and a temperature sensor replacement (sensor was just under $200). Labor for this part of the 4 year service was not broken out.

Here is a link to a more detailed explanation of the 4 year service done on my vehicle
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18933444

Last edited by Oldboy52; 08-29-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added ref to complete 4 year service
chassis (08-29-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 10:31 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

I had my 4yr service performed at my local Porsche dealer mid July. The transfer case service was performed which included a fluid change, a new drain plug, and a temperature sensor replacement (sensor was just under $200). Labor for this part of the 4 year service was not broken out.

Here is a link to a more detailed explanation of the 4 year service done on my vehicle
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18933444
@Oldboy52 would you be willing to post a copy of your service invoice, with your personal information removed? This will help others to know exactly what is done by the dealer, including part numbers for fluids and drain plugs. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 9Y0 Cayenne Turbo 40,000 mile service $5000?