Sponsored By:

Help me decide..Turbo model

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 05:44 AM
Turrrbo
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
On a turbo…PDCC and RAS is a given in my opinion. Don’t have to drive it to the edge to appreciate the improvement they provide. The vehicle is so stable and remains flat which improves the ride quality in everyday driving.
I agree, these two options are essential
The following 3 users liked this post by Turrrbo:
blackpearl2015 (05-21-2023), justabout (05-12-2023), Searcher356 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 07:33 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A.
The following users liked this post:
blackpearl2015 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:05 AM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Turrrbo
If you drive aggressively or if your daily drives include highway exits or mountain roads, you should never skip PDCC. I have a turbo with same specs as the first option and PDCC is the feature I like the most. It is VERY noticable

I personally won’t buy another Cayenne that doesn’t have PDCC since i always hated SUV’s body roll and thats what kept me away from them for years

The rule I follow in such hesitation moments is: Mechanic specs and driving dynamics first, then everything else comes second (exception if I dont like the car ext/int color)
The rule that you follow is what I was thinking as well. My current Turbo has more finishing touches than mechanic specs. Both of these reasons is why I was leaning towards the first option that has more mechanic specs. Both cars are nice.
Turrrbo (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:06 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 214 Posts

If you drive aggressively or if your daily drives include highway exits or mountain roads, you should never skip PDCC. I have a turbo with same specs as the first option and PDCC is the feature I like the most. It is VERY noticable

I personally won’t buy another Cayenne that doesn’t have PDCC since i always hated SUV’s body roll and thats what kept me away from them for years

The rule I follow in such hesitation moments is: Mechanic specs and driving dynamics first, then everything else comes second (exception if I dont like the car ext/int color)
So is PDCC always active or can you turn it off?
Old 05-12-2023, 10:08 AM
Turrrbo
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
So is PDCC always active or can you turn it off?
its always active and can’t be turned off. There is no need to turn it off since it doesn’t have disadvantages.

i forgot to mention that PDCC have another feature that people rarely talk about but its mentioned in Porsche videos about Cayenne PDCC, which is further body vibration reduction
blackpearl2015 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 11:30 AM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

its always active and can’t be turned off. There is no need to turn it off since it doesn’t have disadvantages.

i forgot to mention that PDCC have another feature that people rarely talk about but its mentioned in Porsche videos about Cayenne PDCC, which is further body vibration reduction
Good info…thank you
Old 05-12-2023, 10:42 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Question - does PDCC impact the steering at all? I don’t like loose steering which is why I don’t like the X5’s anymore. Just curious if this has any impact on the steering.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:27 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by blackpearl2015
Question - does PDCC impact the steering at all? I don’t like loose steering which is why I don’t like the X5’s anymore. Just curious if this has any impact on the steering.
PDCC doesn’t make the steering feel loose, numb, disconnected, etc. In my experience owning Porsches with and without, I would say PDCC has two main benefits:

The benefit of stiffer sway bars which has a dramatic reduction on body lean in the corners. It works in a 911 and it works in the Cayenne. I can feel this at low and high speed cornering. In my opinion, it doesn’t make the car more capable of high speed cornering, but it changes the way you experience the corner. Some people love this and some people prefer a more natural feel.

It also makes the car more comfortable / compliant in normal day to day driving. It has the feel of fully disconnected sway bars.

The main drawbacks are initial cost to purchase, potential cost to maintain and the flat feeling in a corner which some don’t like.

Personally I love it and I especially love it in a SUV. It is one of those Porsche tricks that makes a big vehicle feel like a much smaller sports car.

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 05-13-2023 at 12:28 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
blackpearl2015 (05-13-2023), pinion (05-13-2023), Searcher356 (05-13-2023), thxbuff2001 (05-14-2023), Turrrbo (05-15-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 02:22 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
PDCC doesn’t make the steering feel loose, numb, disconnected, etc. In my experience owning Porsches with and without, I would say PDCC has two main benefits:

The benefit of stiffer sway bars which has a dramatic reduction on body lean in the corners. It works in a 911 and it works in the Cayenne. I can feel this at low and high speed cornering. In my opinion, it doesn’t make the car more capable of high speed cornering, but it changes the way you experience the corner. Some people love this and some people prefer a more natural feel.

It also makes the car more comfortable / compliant in normal day to day driving. It has the feel of fully disconnected sway bars.

The main drawbacks are initial cost to purchase, potential cost to maintain and the flat feeling in a corner which some don’t like.

Personally I love it and I especially love it in a SUV. It is one of those Porsche tricks that makes a big vehicle feel like a much smaller sports car.
Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Jeff Jones (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:15 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I love electronic sway bars. It was standard on a RR sport SC.
I would never matter on a race track, but in the highway and just banking or turning, your mind will compensate to the opposite and you will realize the body roll is almost none. It is quite amazing the first time you experience it.
My wife loves it.

if I can order RWS and PDCC as option I will try to order it on any cars.
HUD is useless to me.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 05-14-2023 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:22 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones

Agree with how it makes the ride more comfortable. The other day driving normal rural highways in farm country I turned on the PDCC monitor. I was surprised at the number of times PDCC triggered responding to curves, turning and road defects. This was just during normal driving and not pushing it. The side to side motions are all but gone. Without comparing to an equal setup without PDCC it’s hard to compare but the monitor is saying it’s very active.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

My one experience with active sways was in my 2011 5 series. I hated them. Made it feel loose and disconnected when driving straight ahead. I have yet to drive any Porsche with them. Hope they are better.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:04 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Personally I love it and I especially love it in a SUV. It is one of those Porsche tricks that makes a big vehicle feel like a much smaller sports car.[/QUOTE]

Its an added cost. Its a luxury that if you have experienced it, you will hope it is on all SUVs.
I hope in the future it will be standard on all SUV.
I experienced it first on my 2005 RR Sport SC but my 17 RR it is absent.
I ordered it on my GTS and 24 Base Cayenne.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 05-14-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:44 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

Thanks for sharing. Looks like RAS, PTV+ and PDCC are all standard on the Turbo GT which in some respect tells me something.
Jeff Jones (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 02:49 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My one experience with active sways was in my 2011 5 series. I hated them. Made it feel loose and disconnected when driving straight ahead. I have yet to drive any Porsche with them. Hope they are better.
We had a 2013 X5 5.0i with the M driving package. Probably the best feeling X5 we ever owned. Steering was nice and tight and it cornered great. I am not a big fan of the newer X5’s as I do think they feel loose and disconnected and this includes the current X5 M50i which my wife drives and loves. We have a 2022 X5 M50i and it feels way too loose. I have not liked the direction BMW went with their newer X5’s which is way I have been driving the Cayenne. The X5M doesn’t feel that way though.

Quick Reply: Help me decide..Turbo model