2024 reviews are out. Configurator out

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 12:48 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 757 Posts
Default 2024 reviews are out. Configurator out

With the ban lifted in the 18th, many more to come. I find the changes disappointing considering the expected price hike.

Expect the configurator to be out in the German site, typically no later than the following day in the US.

https://www.porsche.com/germany/mode...odels/cayenne/

Last edited by John Mclane; 04-19-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:15 AM
jumpingmatt
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m disappointed tbh. Was hoping for a reason to upgrade my 2020 turbo coupe (eventually when the turbo or turbo s hybrid would come out), as I don’t really want to keep it all the way through until the next gen/electric in 2026 or later. But the updates all really seem incongruous or overly busy or both. Glad there’s some interesting colors now at least, but that’s not enough for me.

I might find myself venturing out and getting another brand for a few years before missing the Porsche handling and coming back.
The following users liked this post:
BostonBC (04-24-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 03:11 AM
Clafoutis
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 04-18-2023, 03:33 AM
Elucidus
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, here's the first hint as to how they got more battery capacity in the hybrid - the trunk floor is higher still than it was in the previous iteration. Anyone have info on whether the fuel tank capacity was reduced as well?

Old 04-18-2023, 03:53 AM
Beemo
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Too much VW/Audi influence on that design
Perhaps it’ll take some getting used to
I first hated the new Range Rover but in the flesh it looks stunning
Old 04-18-2023, 07:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Elucidus
Well, here's the first hint as to how they got more battery capacity in the hybrid - the trunk floor is higher still than it was in the previous iteration. Anyone have info on whether the fuel tank capacity was reduced as well?

This is a huge deal, IMO. The trunk depth in the current hybrid is already limited.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:59 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beemo
Too much VW/Audi influence on that design
Perhaps it’ll take some getting used to
I first hated the new Range Rover but in the flesh it looks stunning
Don't really see that. To me it's a lot of Taycan influence. Which is now present here and soon to be in the Macan EV
Rischey (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 08:40 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 571 Posts

The S coupe looks the best here.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:59 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

AT the price range and equipment, a Cayenne base should easily tag 100k if you go for air suspension and full leather. That's a decently equipped X5 M60 with a hefty V8. A lightly optioned S might be a more interesting proposition in this comparison.
I find the hard plastics on this Cayenne (992 as well) out of place on a car at this price range. I think the X5 is far better finished. The driving is where the beemer sins terribly, heavy steering in lieu of responsive rack. Depreciation is another issue, but considering the price gap, it may not be the case when comparing the two.
BTW, US and DE sites are updated, no configurator yet
BostonBC (04-24-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:24 AM
hitmonlee
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I find the hard plastics on this Cayenne (992 as well) out of place on a car at this price range.
Are you sure that's not just Porsche in general?

In all seriousness I'd happily pay the premium to get the Porsche driving experience.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:32 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hitmonlee
Are you sure that's not just Porsche in general?

In all seriousness I'd happily pay the premium to get the Porsche driving experience.
The Panamera is a little better. The 991 was not as bad, so the 718, albeit older, is decently finished. The 992 plastics are terrible, specially considering how expensive it can get. Macan I tried as loaners, can't say it was an enjoyable experience.
The X5 drives heavy and numb, why I bought a Cayenne (3rd one) base instead of a 50M. Turned out, the steel suspension on the Cayenne base is less than stellar.
By July, discounts will be rampant. Unless the local GM finds me a deal, I would not be ordering a cayenne.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
AT the price range and equipment, a Cayenne base should easily tag 100k if you go for air suspension and full leather. That's a decently equipped X5 M60 with a hefty V8. A lightly optioned S might be a more interesting proposition in this comparison.
I find the hard plastics on this Cayenne (992 as well) out of place on a car at this price range. I think the X5 is far better finished. The driving is where the beemer sins terribly, heavy steering in lieu of responsive rack. Depreciation is another issue, but considering the price gap, it may not be the case when comparing the two.
BTW, US and DE sites are updated, no configurator yet
You will never, ever, be able to rationally justify the price of a V6, V6 Hybrid or S Cayenne vs. BMW or Mercedes. And yet we still buy them.

But no, the pricing is not competitive, and it's not getting any better. My '23 was easly $30k more than a loaded BMW X5 45i hybrid. That's like 40% more than the price of the BMW. And I STILL didn't have all the features that BMW had, like HUD and Air Suspension. And I got a Platinum, which was cheaper than a DIY build!

madness. And yet...we keep buying.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:27 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, if bmw got a grip and improved their steering system, I would go for one. Beemers are heavy instead of responsive, mercs are dead on center (by design according to their research). If one foregoes of any fun in driving, go for a Tesla X, prices dropped again recently and I would not be surprised if it keeps on going down. It's a quick senseless transportation device.

Mclaren may be making a suv. That's probably going to be great to drive to and fro the dealer.

Pricing still to come. I think the S with minimal equipment for those who hit the highways more often or a moderately equipped base. I've done both and there's pros and cons. The current base engine is much smoother than the Audi 2.9 on the S, one of the major reasons we went with the base this time. The prior 3.6L TT was much better. The V8 is tempting, depending on the price. I think I would go with more equipment on a base model again.

Our current car we managed to get 7% off one month before COVID. I think by July around 4% might be feasible. Maybe later in the year with lots filling again, we'll be back at 7, also reflecting in the used market for those who trade in.

Porsche is not going to build those only on demand. Neither the 911. They will ramp production as they are most profitable above 80% capacity. Dealers still try to sell this concept of no cars available which is not actual.

Last edited by John Mclane; 04-18-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:49 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

This bolsters my plan to sell my 2020 E-Hybrid Cayenne and hunker down in a 2023 Macan GTS currently on order until the electric version is out for a few years, so say 2026-27. I don’t find the parts bin interior of the new version motivating as compared to the prior version.
MovingChicane (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:59 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

It's growing on me. The interior looks so much cleaner than my 2021 GTS model. Adding some silver to the air vent surrounds improves the look. I'd like a GTS / Hybrid version but that won't happen so I'll wait to see what the driving reviews are like for the new Hybrid. I like my GTS but with gas climbing to $1.87CAD/L this summer ($5.00 USD/gallon), I think the V8 I currently drive will be the last. I'd love a GTS that gets some battery help though.

Last edited by kayjh; 04-18-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 reviews are out. Configurator out