Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Battery + Central Computer Control Unit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 11:31 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Hey @Schnave …have you had a chance to hook up the tracker? Just looking for more input on it. Also any thoughts as to how Porsche would respond to this installed if there is a battery issue down the road? It shouldn’t be an issue but one never knows until it happens. Thanks RD.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:41 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I sure did! I’ve been evaluating it for a couple weeks now. I have installation pictures and screenshots of the app. Will post complete review in the next few days. So far, so good. Honestly though, the review from @Jeff Budge was spot-on.

Plus, I just got a new toy; the new XP-20-HD battery booster. Just arrived yesterday and will provide a unboxing and complete review for that in the next week or so. Looking forward to testing this beast! I’m shopping Class A RV’s and will need a big booster for the 7.3L Godzilla engine.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-23-2023 at 12:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
LDT (02-23-2023), pinion (02-23-2023), rdboxster (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:26 PM
INS4NE_B9
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed the battery tracker on mine and it has worked flawlessly. Gives me incredible peace of mind, which is worth way more than the $35 I spent on it.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (02-24-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:25 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

I installed mine yesterday and agree 100% with @INS4NE_B9 that it provides incredible peace of mind. I don't drive my GTS very often so it sits on my CTEK maintainer pretty much full time. Now I no longer need to do that. Here's my voltage and I just disconnected my CTEK.

Edit: When I took this picture, my iPhone was not connected to the Battery Tracker. This screenshot was taken at 12:19 but the app shows the voltage from 10:18 which may have been the time of my previous reading. At 12:19, I did not check the connection status in the upper left corner which would have shown that I was not connected. As a new user, however, I find this app misleading as my takeaway was that the battery was at the same 13.53 V as earlier in the day. And the app even says that ✅ Battery OK when it was not even connected. IMO, anytime you are using this app and it is not connected, that info should be displayed front and center. Please see the second screenshot below.

Here's the full screenshot and please see the red icon in the upper left indicating that my iPhone was not connected to the Battery Tracker.

Last edited by dasams; 02-25-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:45 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

About five hrs after the post above, I went down to the garage to check my voltage and the system was completely dead. Virtually zero voltage across the battery. So I removed the battery tracker and hooked up my trusty Antigravity Micro-Start, hit the boost button, and my GTS started right up.

Sounds like the low voltage protection circuit was triggered but why? I know that in hooking up the battery tracker I momentarily disconnected the neg terminal. Would that do it?

I'm currently showing 13.14V by touching the battery tracker leads to the terminals and 13.2V by doing the same with my old multimeter. So I feel that the battery is healthy and am a bit nervous about reconnecting the battery tracker. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2023, 08:31 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
About five hrs after the post above, I went down to the garage to check my voltage and the system was completely dead. Virtually zero voltage across the battery. So I removed the battery tracker and hooked up my trusty Antigravity Micro-Start, hit the boost button, and my GTS started right up.

Sounds like the low voltage protection circuit was triggered but why? I know that in hooking up the battery tracker I momentarily disconnected the neg terminal. Would that do it?

I'm currently showing 13.14V by touching the battery tracker leads to the terminals and 13.2V by doing the same with my old multimeter. So I feel that the battery is healthy and am a bit nervous about reconnecting the battery tracker. Thoughts?
Admittedly I’m an old (school) guy. My basic belief is that if all these gadgets were necessary for the safe and normal operation of my Cayenne, it would have been equipped as such from the factory.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:50 PM
Sunsation
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery Gateway— software updated…

Went out to start my 2019 CS earlier this week—after disconnecting the Ctek charger from the cigarette lighter port; no power, no start. This has happened several times before; once after driving 150 miles on an interstate at 80-90 mph and then setting for 2 days!

Reset the battery gateway with my trusty Antigravity booster and drove straight to the dealer for the software update. We’ll see what happens.. The good news is that after 4 years, the dealer rated the Lithium battery at 93% of full power. Live long, expensive battery!!!
Old 02-26-2023, 02:10 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams

Hi Dasams,

I am not sure of your particular issue with your Battery going dead, I"ve never heard of this scenario with the battery tracker, might be due to the Neg Battery Terminal disconnection, but let me explain a few facts about the Battery Tracker below so you can understand what it does. As a Side note you can connect the Battery Tracker without disconnecting the Terminals... I just loosen a terminal bolt on the Terminal and slide the fork-terminal of the Battery Tracker behind the bolt then tighten again... But what I can say is that the Battery Tracker cannot cause any short-circuit, or excessive drain, or mess with your battery system. It is such a low draw that it is inoccuous to your vehicle.

- The battery tracker actually will not drain down your vehicle's battery whatsoever, this because it is a exceptionally low draw device being only a 1 MILLIAMP draw on your battery to keep it going. A 1 milliamp draw is basically insignificant and has no effect on your battery capacity or its use.I actually have them on my dirtbikes which have our 3.3Ah Batteries in them and they can sit attached to those tiny batteies for a few months without draining them down. But a Cayennes Battery is a 90Ah Battery so it 30 times the size of the Dirtbike Batteries...So just wanted to make sure you understand it can't drain your battery, or do anything funky to the Cars system.

- BUT.... The Battery Tracker CAN drain your phone Battery faster than normal IF you leave your Battery Track App "ON" all the time on your Phone. This is because the Battery Tracker is a Bluetooth device, so if you have your App on, your Phone going to constantly be "searching" for the Bluetooth Devices that transmit data to it like the Battery Tracker does. So it keeps searching and using the phones energy more. So best to turn the app off when you don't need it on.

During its standby use, like when just sitting there tracking data without the car started, it only samples once ever 2 minutes for it historical graphing over 30 days. But if you have it using the App actively and getting the real time voltage of the battery it can use about 3 milliamps... but again this is such a small draw that it would be considered insignificant. I used the real-time voltage reading quite a bit when I'm just testing the voltage drop as I turn on systems in the car, like the radio, or lighting, just to get data during my testing of our products... but again there is no concern it is putting any draw or load on the battery that would create any scenario for draining a Vehicle Battery.

Last, if you do feel uncomfortable using it, please don't hesitate sending it back where ever you got it. We don't want anyone to feel like it did something to thier vehicle. I just wanted to write and say, it really can't do anything because its honestly a very basic product. Hope the explaination helps. Any other questions let me know.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:54 AM
mclaren911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Fix

Originally Posted by aman408
Hi guys

I am having a nightmare with my Cayenne at the moment!
Hello Aman408 and others,

I had a similar issue a month ago and I was able to fix the battery myself and with the help of a shop in Long Island. This was after the dealer could not fix it and offered to put me on the "Battery wait list". A the time there was a wait for the battery and I was not allowed to order that part number. Once I was able to take the top of the battery off I could charge it with a ctek charger ( bypassing the electronic relay lock out feature) . Then send the battery cpu out to be reset. I found a Porsche battery fix on eBay and tracked the username to Tony. He owns Premier Autocare (https://premier-autocare-and-performance.business.site/) in Long Island NY. I overnighted my unit and he was able to send it out the same day he received it. Tony has done a few of these Porsche batteries and he saved me from buying a battery that was out of warranty. The Cayenne has been great ever since. In the future I will be buying an antigravity battery once the bypass module for the linbus is available. I have a friend working on this who has built them for other brands that implemented these batteries over a decade ago. Feel free to ask any questions I will be happy to share what I know.

Schnave (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Sorry for the delay; here’s that consolidated review of AntiGravity BTR-1 Battery Monitor I promised.

Here’s AntiGravity’s site:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/

Tip:
The Antigravity site (as of today) wants $21 to ship a $36, 3 ounce box. UNSAT. AntiGravity acknowledged earlier in this thread that this is a shipping software glitch. They are working to sort it out.
Until they work it out, order on Amazon. Same price and free shipping for Prime members. 👍🏼
Amazon Amazon

The module is nice and compact — key fob shown for scale in photo, below. I almost missed the included Velcro pieces. Look for them between the front and back cardboard package liners. I thought they were anti-theft devices and almost threw them away.

The manual included with my package was different from the one published online. I scanned it and attached the PDF, below:

Owner’s manual from Anti-Gravity site:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/dow...ser-Manual.pdf

Installation was easy, especially the negative terminal. The positive terminal requires an alternate attaching point. The only way to attach it to the recessed positive terminal is with the connector handle sticking straight up, preventing the battery’s protective cover from attaching correctly.

Note the connector in the pic, below. It is a spade type connector mounted in the center of a very sturdy plastic handle. The center mount prevents flush mounting the connector without bending the spade. Doing so bends the handle upward, limiting the options on the other connectors.

Here’s the easy solution: Attach the spade to the fusible link as shown below. (I tried them all.) You’ll still have to bend the handle up but the battery cover has sufficient space to accommodate it. Note the plastic tabs on either side of each nut. These prevent sliding the wide spade connector under a slightly loosened nut. I had to completely remove the nut to get the spade on the terminal. Be very careful to support the battery cable so it does not disconnect (causing who knows what type of reset requirements).

The cable to the nut circled in red was especially troublesome to maintain a connection when loosening the nut. I retightened it after just a few turns.

When attaching spades, plan ahead and place the battery monitor box in or near the final position. This will avoid unnecessarily twisting the wiring. I placed mine sideways between the battery and compartment wall. It does not rattle and seems to have good Bluetooth range. I think placing on the top of the battery would be a tight fit and may expose it to crushing if a passenger stepped on the panel directly above the mounting location.

The iOS app provides great insight to your battery’s health. The Bluetooth range is about 30 feet and I can check my voltage from a couple rooms inside my house near the garage. Very handy! Lots of screenshots in other’s posts.

But here’s a few that I found interesting and provided insight into how the charging system works.

Firstly: I suspect he battery should be charged fully before the monitor gives an accurate charge percentage. Note the 86% charge level (engine off) before charging and only 79% after stabilizing after a full charge. (Last picture)

Note how the alternator was not charging the battery. Voltage was only 12.91V with engine running right after I disconnected the CTEK. I suspect the ECU prefers the battery charge to be less than 100% to prolong the life of the battery.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Battery Tracker Manual.pdf (1.27 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by Schnave; 02-27-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:20 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 118 Posts

Looks like an excellent tool for keeping an eye on things.

If you are curious about this rabbit hole and knowing this device is a useful tool isnt enough, read on…

Voltage based monitors are useful and simple/cheap devices… but they are not very effective for measuring SoC (state of charge). Lithium batteries make this more difficult by supporting very high voltage through most of their state of charge. Also loads will pull the voltage down temporarily….

For SoC monitoring to happen accurately you want a shunt and the ability to measure in/out amperage. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb for some background.

You can see a shunt inside the factor battery as the small box on the negative terminal trace. This is what the battery uses to track its state. The best part is that same device lets the battery can bus connection tell the system exactly how much voltage it wants. This lets it do things like support vehicle loads without discharging (important when you can’t charge your Lithium battery below freezing.)
Old 04-20-2023, 03:52 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Just installed the tracker. Thanks everyone for the input on it. Looks like there should be good info. Vehicle has sat for over a week, battery at 70%. I tend to let the cayenne sit a lot during the summer months so it will be nice to track the battery.

I was able to close the cover for the positive side by moving the spade close to the other red wire.

Last edited by rdboxster; 04-20-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:04 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I picked up my '19 Cayenne yesterday from dealer and paid $3,200 for new lithium battery.
I obviously complained and was told to contact Porsche NA which I did. Now i'm waiting for their decision. I had the yellow battery warning light appear last year and the issue was fixed with a software update. This time they tell me it's the battery......seems it's not communicating properly with ECU. Unfortunately now i'm out of warranty.
I don't see the battery listed anywhere under the emissions warranty so that wont help me either.
Hopefully Porsche NA steps up and does the right thing!
Old 06-17-2023, 03:32 PM
mclaren911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche NA

Hello George,

Sorry to hear about your battery issue. I have fixed a few of these systems now and Porsche is aware of the problems stemming form the LG chem batteries and the surrounding systems. I have not an issue regarding the electronics on the car side but I have had issues with the battery ecu/circuits inside the battery itself. My advice is to be civil and clear about your issues. Many customers have had them and they want to keep customers happy. I did not think the batteries were 3200 btw the last one I bought for a client was a little over 2k. If you want to save some money google "9Y0915107 EM40 P019482" and you will great refurbed cayenne batteries for only 900. (should last 7 years or more) I wish you luck with Porsche NA decision but I can tell you that every respectful case I have seen and been part of ( 12 now) has all been handled correctly and at the dealers expense (passed onto Porsche NA)
The following 3 users liked this post by mclaren911:
chassis (06-17-2023), LDT (06-17-2023), Schnave (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:39 PM
George718
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the advice......I plan on being as civil as possible. The truth of the matter is that I love the car and would hate for this situation be the reason I look elsewhere when it's time to replace her.
BTW the breakdoown was $2,350 for the battery, $250 shipping, $382 labor, $257 tax

chassis (06-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Battery + Central Computer Control Unit Issue