Sponsored By:

Engine control fault, driving permitted, visit workshop

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 06:40 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Engine control fault, driving permitted, visit workshop

This message appeared twice on my '19 Cayenne. Both times the vehicle had been driven for a while (once about 100 miles), turned off, and then started again a few minutes later. Both times the message disappeared as soon as I turned it off again and restarted. I have a buddy with a '21 and he was told by his dealer that if isn't uncommon for the PCM to not communicate properly through the CAN bus and when that handshake doesn't happen right you get some error message. My friend wasn't familiar with what message that might be. My service rep was clueless and wanted me to bring it in to be checked out. Of course, my warranty just expired and the first occurrence of the error happened a week before. I did read my OBDC codes and none appear. Not wanting to throw needless money at this if others have heard of this issue.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2023, 11:13 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Just bringing this to the top in case someone else has seen this. I had it happen again and can safely say that it only seems to appear after the car has been driven for a while, turned off, then started back up soon after. Each time it has sat no more than 15 minutes before restarting. Reminds me of a device when it has some residual current still in it before it fully discharges and is then started back up and it has some corruption in the memory. However, as before, all I need to do is to turn it off and restart immediately and the message does not reappear.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:06 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
Just bringing this to the top in case someone else has seen this. I had it happen again and can safely say that it only seems to appear after the car has been driven for a while, turned off, then started back up soon after. Each time it has sat no more than 15 minutes before restarting. Reminds me of a device when it has some residual current still in it before it fully discharges and is then started back up and it has some corruption in the memory. However, as before, all I need to do is to turn it off and restart immediately and the message does not reappear.
Did you read codes with an OBD device that can display stored codes, and not only active codes?
Old 01-23-2023, 05:13 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by chassis
Did you read codes with an OBD device that can display stored codes, and not only active codes?
Mine doesn't show stored codes, only current DTCs, and none showed there. I'm bringing it in Thursday and they'll read my codes. If nothing is stored that they can find then there won't be anything actionable. Hopefully its just an odd anomaly, but it seems odd that no one else seems to have experienced this.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:41 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 147 Posts

I got it the other day, somewhat similar circumstances except it had sat longer, more like 30-35 minutes. Same message. I was starting to back up, then there was a car crossing behind me and the car opposite me began back up too, so there was suddenly a lot going on.I thought I caused it by shifting to forward before coming to a complete stop in reverse, and maybe that's what happened, it's hard to say. I turned the car off and on and it went away and hasn't recurred
Old 01-23-2023, 07:00 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by icemang
I got it the other day, somewhat similar circumstances except it had sat longer, more like 30-35 minutes. Same message. I was starting to back up, then there was a car crossing behind me and the car opposite me began back up too, so there was suddenly a lot going on.I thought I caused it by shifting to forward before coming to a complete stop in reverse, and maybe that's what happened, it's hard to say. I turned the car off and on and it went away and hasn't recurred
Thanks for the comments. In my case, each time when the message appeared it was instantly there when I started. The 2nd time I drove it for about 10 minutes before I restarted and it hadn't cleared on its own by then. 3 times in 30 days is a bit concerning, but now I know the pattern so I'll try to recreate it intentionally before I bring it in.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

I brought it into the dealer this morning to see if they could pull any saved codes. Given that I haven't been able recreate the issue at will, I knew that if they couldn't find codes then it was waste of time for me to drop it off. Well, the most amazing thing happened. It had sat for about 15 minutes and they started it up to take into the shop to read codes and the error appeared! That is the opposite of how these things generally work. So I left it and took a loaner home and now the waiting game begins. My SA told me that there is a recall on my '19 for the gateway module and that could be the issue. Time will tell.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:20 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

You should buy a raffle ticket, right now.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ticket Target:
ArcticFox (01-26-2023), Needsdecaf (01-26-2023), OncPorsche (01-26-2023), Pushinit (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 02:30 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

They have a diagnosis. P22270 - DME Control Unit. They are telling me that there is an oily substance on the pressure compensation element that is silicon based and that has ruined it. They say that typically is caused by the engine being cleaned with some cleaning agent containing silicon. This something I've never done or paid someone else to do for me. However, the dealer is saying that Porsche doesn't cover that replacement because they have determined that it is user error, not their problem. Of course, I have no idea how that could have happened and have opened a case with PCNA. $2200 + labor for a new DME.

This is my first Porsche but it might become my last.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:22 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

They have a diagnosis. P22270 - DME Control Unit. They are telling me that there is an oily substance on the pressure compensation element that is silicon based and that has ruined it. They say that typically is caused by the engine being cleaned with some cleaning agent containing silicon. This something I've never done or paid someone else to do for me. However, the dealer is saying that Porsche doesn't cover that replacement because they have determined that it is user error, not their problem. Of course, I have no idea how that could have happened and have opened a case with PCNA. $2200 + labor for a new DME.

This is my first Porsche but it might become my last.
Have you owned it from new?
Old 01-26-2023, 03:26 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

No. It was about 8 months old when I got it, but 3+ years its been mine. Seems odd that if something was used that long ago, it would show up today.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:15 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

No. It was about 8 months old when I got it, but 3+ years its been mine. Seems odd that if something was used that long ago, it would show up today.
I agree. I wonder if there is an independent facility that can tell you what is on the DME? Maybe the dealer got it wrong? I think it's your only option at this point in what is a "he says she says" situation.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:23 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

I wish the dealer had it wrong. P222700 is documented in a Porsche factory document as a failed pressure compensation element. I believe it measures BP. According to that document, the only reason it could happen is contamination by silicon spray. They sent me a video showing them running their finger across the DME and having an oily residue. Two obvious facts are that 1. there is no warning on the DME to avoid silicon products, and 2. There are no warnings or mentions in any owners manual saying it. Who would have thought that there are tiny vent holes that will allow fluids in, and silicon is the only substance that can harm it?

I've filed a case with PCNA to take care of me. I am hopeful that because my warranty just ran out they will take care of me. If they take the position it was my fault and refuse then I have some big decisions.

Last edited by Pushinit; 01-27-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:06 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Have you considered having the ECU repaired? “Mechanics” nowadays just plug the car into a computer and the computer tells them which major sub-assembly to replace. Fast, easy, and profitable.

The ECU is just a printed circuit board. The barometric sensor can be replaced with a new one.

https://www.bosch-repair-service.com...-control-unit/

Case in point: I had a bad motor in a Lexus door lock assembly. Instead of fixing it, my Lexus dealer wanted to replace the entire $600 door lock assembly and charge me $1,000. I disassembled it myself and replaced the bad $5 motor. Total cost: $20 and a few bloody knuckles.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:17 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
Have you considered having the ECU repaired? “Mechanics” nowadays just plug the car into a computer and the computer tells them which major sub-assembly to replace. Fast, easy, and profitable.

The ECU is just a printed circuit board. The barometric sensor can be replaced with a new one.

https://www.bosch-repair-service.com...-control-unit/

Case in point: I had a bad motor in a Lexus door lock assembly. Instead of fixing it, my Lexus dealer wanted to replace the entire $600 door lock assembly and charge me $1,000. I disassembled it myself and replaced the bad $5 motor. Total cost: $20 and a few bloody knuckles.
Wow...I didn't know that was an option. Thanks Schnave! I'm very handy as well and am willing to give it a try. I don't have my serial number available to enter it to check the price. Wonder what they charge and how long it takes if I just do a swap? Of course, I need to see what Porsche has to say first. My fingers are crossed that they'll take care of me.

Quick Reply: Engine control fault, driving permitted, visit workshop