Sponsored By:

debadging a new Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 11:30 AM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default debadging a new Cayenne

So my incoming 2023 Platinum Ed. was not a custom order - lucky enough to find one in stock and a dealer that would sell it to me. I prefer model designation delete because I hate cleaning around emblems. Chromite Black Metallic exterior, how much of a risk am I taking if I carefully de badge myself as in how soft and delicate is the paint? I never had a problem with swirls from washing on my Quartzite 2019, so maybe I'm being paranoid? Not a novice, have done plenty of cars, just not a Porsche. Maybe I'm way over thinking this? Have tools to get it done (I use a fine guage polymer suture, heat gun on low and 3M automotive adhesive remover). Should I leave well enough alone, or go for it? Would love to hear from anyone who has done this.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 11:53 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

During negotiations I specify removal of any / all dealer stickers, emblems, and license plate holders. That is, unless they are willing to pay me for the advertising. 😎 On one particular delivery, they forgot to remove a dealer medallion glued to the paint. After I pointed it out to the salesman, he shrugged and said no problem. He had it removed and paint buffed in 30 minutes flat. Easy day.

And now to my point — consider asking dealership to debadge your Cayenne during dealer prep. Probably a no-cost, non-issue for them. No muss, no fuss!

Last edited by Schnave; 12-25-2022 at 12:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (12-25-2022), pinion (12-25-2022), wageslave (05-17-2023)
Old 12-25-2022, 12:20 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
During negotiations I specify removal of any / all dealer stickers, emblems, and license plate holders. That is, unless they are willing to pay me for the advertising. 😎 On one particular delivery, they forgot to remove a dealer medallion glued to the paint. After I pointed it out to the salesman, he shrugged and said no problem. He had it removed and paint buffed in 30 minutes flat. Easy day.

And now to my point — consider asking dealership to debadge your Cayenne during dealer prep. Probably a no-cost, non-issue for them. No muss, no fuss!
Good idea, I'm gonna do that...I got a little paranoid about the front license plate. I mentioned to the sales mgr that I knew his state was a two-plate state (mine isn't ) and wanted to make sure holes didn't get drilled and he said something like, "yes, it's a two-plate state, but nobody with a Porsche puts them on and we never drill them".
Old 12-25-2022, 01:10 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by LoopGaroo
Good idea, I'm gonna do that...I got a little paranoid about the front license plate. I mentioned to the sales mgr that I knew his state was a two-plate state (mine isn't ) and wanted to make sure holes didn't get drilled and he said something like, "yes, it's a two-plate state, but nobody with a Porsche puts them on and we never drill them".
I debadged mine. No problem. Fishing line and a little Goo Gone. P21s Carnauba wax to finish.

Last edited by LDT; 12-25-2022 at 01:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LDT:
chassis (12-25-2022), justabout (12-25-2022), srf409 (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 01:45 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave

I had a dealer put their sticker on my new Range Rover even after asking 3 times to not do it. He said no worries and a lot kid took it off with a screwdriver leaving a nice area without paint. I'll never ask them to do it again.
Old 12-25-2022, 02:25 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I had a dealer put their sticker on my new Range Rover even after asking 3 times to not do it. He said no worries and a lot kid took it off with a screwdriver leaving a nice area without paint. I'll never ask them to do it again.
Good point! I guess I got lucky, although I didn’t wire the money until I inspected the work.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
My dealer put a sticker on my RAM, I took it off myself as soon as I got home. Never thought about asking them to do it. Not worth it.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:23 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

My isn't debadged but I had the model designation painted in the exterior color so it has a similar effect.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:27 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
My isn't debadged but I had the model designation painted in the exterior color so it has a similar effect.
This is a good option but sometimes I feel like, it looks like someone just took the spray gun and went right over the lettering like a bad repair job lol.
wageslave (05-18-2023)
Old 12-25-2022, 04:28 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna do it myself - I've done it enough times to know that no one else that does it will take as much care as i do. This dealer puts license plate holder on, easy enough to unscrew and trash. Who knows, I might even like the way the "platinum" effect looks, though I know I'll hate cleaning around it.
LDT (12-25-2022)
Old 12-25-2022, 04:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I'm gonna do it myself - I've done it enough times to know that no one else that does it will take as much care as i do. This dealer puts license plate holder on, easy enough to unscrew and trash. Who knows, I might even like the way the "platinum" effect looks, though I know I'll hate cleaning around it.
I really like the platinum badging. Saw it the other day on a black Cayenne in the showroom.

As for cleaning around it? Piece of cake. Just get a small soft bristled brush like this one:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...d61cc740&_ss=r

or a mini woolie like this:

https://ammonyc.com/collections/tool...mo-mini-woolie

No issues. Takes about 60 extra seconds.
Old 12-25-2022, 08:40 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I really like the platinum badging. Saw it the other day on a black Cayenne in the showroom.

As for cleaning around it? Piece of cake. Just get a small soft bristled brush like this one:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...d61cc740&_ss=r

or a mini woolie like this:

https://ammonyc.com/collections/tool...mo-mini-woolie

No issues. Takes about 60 extra seconds.
I'm an OG guy as well, have both those products - use the brush for the OG tire dressing. I have have a brush that has even softer bristles that I think I got from Rag Company. Still hate cleaing around badges, lol. Always seems as if I miss something and have to go back. But, I'm resloved to give it a try!
Needsdecaf (12-25-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 04:42 PM
imagiag
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

just a note on Chromite Black Metallic - I've 2023 platinum in this colour, and it seems extremely soft, picking scratches like crazy. I had to take it to detailing shop for scratch fix after only a month of driving it - the detailer mentioned it's surprisingly soft coating, even by Porsche standards. So I'd be very careful when removing the letters with intent of not putting them back in same place.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:18 PM
LoopGaroo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imagiag
just a note on Chromite Black Metallic - I've 2023 platinum in this colour, and it seems extremely soft, picking scratches like crazy. I had to take it to detailing shop for scratch fix after only a month of driving it - the detailer mentioned it's surprisingly soft coating, even by Porsche standards. So I'd be very careful when removing the letters with intent of not putting them back in same place.
Thank you, that's the type of info I was looking for. What are your thoughts on the color otherwise?
Old 12-26-2022, 05:31 PM
imagiag
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you, that's the type of info I was looking for. What are your thoughts on the color otherwise?
we like the colour, our previous car was black metallic, so it was a natural choice. Little disappointed with the fragility though, as one of the reasons we went for it was that sales rep mentioned it has extra layer of clear coat (compared to base black) - so was hoping to be able to skip PPF.

Quick Reply: debadging a new Cayenne