Official : Accessport Tuning for Porsche 9Y0 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 12:06 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

I wanted to post some more details about the release that should show off how awesome the V8 cars are. Our gains were tremendous and it absolutely wakes up the beast. The Turbo made insane power for a street car (no surprise) but the GTS is keeping up well! Here's some charts and the link to our blog post!

https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-cayenne-tuning/

The Cayenne GTS comes with a bonus map, OEM+, which offers performance similar to the stock Turbo. It's a fun way to see the difference in stock-to-stock. For anyone curious about why the two cars don't make the same power when tuned, the GTS uses a new calibration strategy from Porsche which doesn't carry over tables from the Turbo exactly. We're searching for any way to bridge the gap a bit better but from driving both, I honestly can't tell the difference!

Finally, here's some tags for those who said they were waiting:
@dre13 @INS4NE_B9 @granjour @zukbang @swoobie @tneocli

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following users liked this post:
pinion (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:03 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Heads up - I just talked to Cobb and was advised that a charger is necessary with this tune as the download takes approx 60 mins, during which time the car is cycling through various battery intensive functions.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:13 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by swoobie
Heads up - I just talked to Cobb and was advised that a charger is necessary with this tune as the download takes approx 60 mins, during which time the car is cycling through various battery intensive functions.
The install time is about 21 minutes in my experience. We still recommend a 10-20 amp charger as it's a battery intensive process as you said. However, it's a pretty fast flash and map changes take about 2 minutes in total.

- Andrew
Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
The install time is about 21 minutes in my experience. We still recommend a 10-20 amp charger as it's a battery intensive process as you said. However, it's a pretty fast flash and map changes take about 2 minutes in total.

- Andrew
Ahh. Zach has had different experience. Good to know that it may not take as long as projected, an hour seemed like a long time!
Old 02-24-2023, 10:09 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning

- Andrew
Will any good charger work or does this special battery require a unique charger?
Old 02-24-2023, 10:21 AM
INS4NE_B9
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
Will any good charger work or does this special battery require a unique charger?
You'll need a charger that works for lithium batteries. NOCO Genius or CTEK Lithium.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:45 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Both NOCO Genius 5 and CTEK chargers will keep your battery charged just fine as long as the vehicle is turned off.

If you turn the “key” one click (engine off) to mess with the PCM, listen to the radio, or program the ECU, neither charger will prevent a battery discharge. They only provide 4 or 5 amps of power — not enough to run the systems with the engine off.

When Porsche technicians are troubleshooting your vehicle in the shop, they connect an auxiliary power supply capable of providing at least 90 amps of power similar to this $1,700 charger:
https://www.deutronic.com/produkte/d...-computer-1ac/

But that’s an awfully expensive charger / power supply for a DIY shade-tree mechanic. I found some other economical options that should provide the Cobb-recommended 20 amp power supply.

Here’s a 20 amp charger, suitable for Lithium batteries, for just $63 on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Also available with 35 amps for $116:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Schnave; 02-24-2023 at 11:49 AM.
m5biemer (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 11:53 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Both NOCO Genius 5 and CTEK chargers will keep your battery charged just fine as long as the vehicle is turned off.

If you turn the “key” one click (engine off) to mess with the PCM, listen to the radio, or program the ECU, neither charger will prevent a battery discharge. They only provide 4 or 5 amps of power — not enough to run the systems with the engine off.

When Porsche technicians are troubleshooting your vehicle in the shop, they connect an auxiliary power supply capable of providing at least 90 amps of power similar to this $1,700 charger:
https://www.deutronic.com/produkte/d...-computer-1ac/

But that’s an awfully expensive charger / power supply for a DIY shade-tree mechanic. I found some other economical options that should provide the Cobb-recommended 20 amp power supply.

Here’s a 20 amp charger, suitable for Lithium batteries, for just $63 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Mai..._df_B09XV4NJV7

Also available with 35 amps for $116:
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Mai..._t3_B09XV4NJV7

Thanks Schnave. I just ordered the 20amp one. I needed to get an updated charger anyhow so have extra motivation now.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:58 AM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

The problem with most battery chargers is they are too smart by half for programming… ideally they would output a stable (selectable) voltage with 0-100amp based on the load of the electrical systems.

Chargers on the other hand are attempting to use a voltage profile to ramp, maintain, desulfate, and similar actions. They don’t want to provide constant power for various reasons such as boiling off the cells on the old lead acid batteries.
Schnave (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:08 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by pinion
The problem with most battery chargers is they are too smart by half for programming… ideally they would output a stable (selectable) voltage with 0-100amp based on the load of the electrical systems.

Chargers on the other hand are attempting to use a voltage profile to ramp, maintain, desulfate, and similar actions. They don’t want to provide constant power for various reasons such as boiling off the cells on the old lead acid batteries.
Excellent point, pinion. I found that specialized power supplies designed for flashing and programming ADAS are expensive; about $500. Here’s a Clore Automotive PL6100 on Amazon

Amazon Amazon

One guy on a forum posted this DIY power supply for coding.
https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/...d-so-far.6805/

It is a 12 volt, 100A power supply for RV’s and campers. It has a constant output of 13.6 volts to 13.8 volts. Porsche recommends a power supply of 90A between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts during programming, so this is in the ballpark.

Available here for $190. Various other output capacities as low as 35A for $90, 65A for $150, and others.
https://radiospronto.com/product/pmax100hd-power-supply

He cut a set of 2 gauge jumper cables in half and connected the cut ends to the outputs on the power supply.

Looks like a good setup. What do you think @pinion?

Last edited by Schnave; 02-24-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:21 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

I think the RV powersupply makes a lot of sense. My familiarity with RV setups extends to some of these more basic converters. Ironically these are often pulled out and thrown away because they make poor battery chargers but for our case, stable output voltage in the range we are looking for, good fuse protection, and a decent amount of amps, it seems like a win.

My only concern would be having a large enough one with sufficient amps to not blow the fuses mid programming.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:28 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
In the "Normal" setting the throttle is very lazy with the stock tune on the base 9Y0. Simply trying to take off normally from a stop sign/light also has a delay, unless you goose it, even with auto stop off. Does this tune adjust anything with the feeling of the throttle?
You could always combine the tune with a Sprintbooster/Pedal Commander type of product. I've used those in the past with other vehicles. They just change the throttle position with an electrical override. It also allows you to "detune" the pedal sensitivity if the tune is a bit too much, which has historically been the case on cars that my wife drives regularly.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:56 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Please post here if anyone comes up with a good (and easy - no engineer here) solution...
The following 2 users liked this post by swoobie:
Oldboy52 (02-25-2023), Turrrbo (07-07-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:17 AM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

440 WHP and 460 WTQ on a stock GTS seems quite high. Those are basically the numbers that are advertised at the crank by Porsche. Are these SAE corrected numbers?
Old 02-26-2023, 07:18 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Regarding chargers, customers have used a wide variety of chargers with success. The "smart" chargers aren't our favorite due to the variable nature but they should honestly work just fine. At the very least, charging the battery fully before installation of the Accessport and leaving it on during the flash is a good call. I've even installed the Accessport several times without a charger just to test it out. For those that want a solid recommendation, here's a link to the charger our customer service team uses for installs here at the office.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/micropr...er-maintainer/

Originally Posted by Bomba
You could always combine the tune with a Sprintbooster/Pedal Commander type of product. I've used those in the past with other vehicles. They just change the throttle position with an electrical override. It also allows you to "detune" the pedal sensitivity if the tune is a bit too much, which has historically been the case on cars that my wife drives regularly.
This is usable but I can't recommend it entirely due to the combination of tuning methods (reflash and piggyback). If a different throttle feel is desired, custom tuning on the Accessport through a Protuner can always deliver the best results.

Originally Posted by matthewr87
440 WHP and 460 WTQ on a stock GTS seems quite high. Those are basically the numbers that are advertised at the crank by Porsche. Are these SAE corrected numbers?
Our figures are corrected using SAE standards and our dyno has been thoroughly calibrated and constantly checked. I've noticed a trend of some Porsche & Audi vehicles actually making pretty close to advertised power at the wheels on some of the newer vehicles. It's definitely odd considering that most cars typically make less than advertised due to the drivetrain loss. I'm not sure if this is a marketing decision on the OEM behalf or if something else is at play here. But that's why we always publish our stock numbers for comparison!

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Official : Accessport Tuning for Porsche 9Y0 Cayenne