Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 01:11 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinit
In the "Normal" setting the throttle is very lazy with the stock tune on the base 9Y0. Simply trying to take off normally from a stop sign/light also has a delay, unless you goose it, even with auto stop off. Does this tune adjust anything with the feeling of the throttle?
We try to keep the throttle mapping in the same overall shape as stock but with changes to the actual torque targets. This means changes are almost uniform across the whole power band without causing it to completely change pedal feel. Low end picks up better as a result and it doesn't feel so lazy but it does still allow for easy parking lot cruising.

- Andrew

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 01-13-2023, 02:42 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
We try to keep the throttle mapping in the same overall shape as stock but with changes to the actual torque targets. This means changes are almost uniform across the whole power band without causing it to completely change pedal feel. Low end picks up better as a result and it doesn't feel so lazy but it does still allow for easy parking lot cruising.

- Andrew
This is good to know. Based on what I've read, it looks like you've done a pretty thorough job of designing this tune and device. Your pricing is quite a bit more expensive than the competition but I know you also provide more via the device. Have you ever compared your tune with the competition, like APR? I'm not trying to get you to bash anyone but would appreciate any insight as to how you'd compare and contrast yours.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:12 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is good to know. Based on what I've read, it looks like you've done a pretty thorough job of designing this tune and device. Your pricing is quite a bit more expensive than the competition but I know you also provide more via the device. Have you ever compared your tune with the competition, like APR? I'm not trying to get you to bash anyone but would appreciate any insight as to how you'd compare and contrast yours.
It's difficult to do a direct comparison as competitors use different flash methods and we can't directly compare calibration values. With that said, we have worked with customers who have used competitor flashes and the feedback was very positive! I have personally driven such a car with a competitor flash and will say that it felt very similar but there were some things on our software that I personally preferred. I do think the majority of tuning on these engines is fairly straightforward so the main difference would be the approach various companies take to the process. I can't speak to our competition but I'm very confident in our package based on our methodology which includes being thoroughly tested with thousands of miles driven by over a dozen people here. It's purely anecdotal but I trusted it enough to recommend my mom purchase on of our Cayennes with the tune once the dev work is complete! The two biggest things which I would say set us apart from competitors is our awesome customer service team who can help with anything and the value of the Accessport as an independent unit. The handheld itself allows you to tune/retune at your leisure, return the vehicle to stock, and be transferred to another car once uninstalled. We have many customers who will purchase a single Accessport and either transfer it to a new car when they trade up or sell it and recoup some of the cost.

- Andrew
The following users liked this post:
ougrad1 (03-04-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
The handheld itself allows you to tune/retune at your leisure, return the vehicle to stock, and be transferred to another car once uninstalled. We have many customers who will purchase a single Accessport and either transfer it to a new car when they trade up or sell it and recoup some of the cost.

- Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. Your point above is especially interesting as I consider the possibility of a newer model. I assume you aren't changing the actual software but updating table and scalers values when it is flashed. When returned to stock, is it flashed with the version of the tune that is on my PCM now or one that you have already saved on the Accessport? In other words, is the current flashed data saved before it is overwritten with the new tune? Is there an additional charge to move this from one year model to another?
Old 01-13-2023, 06:36 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Andrew. Your point above is especially interesting as I consider the possibility of a newer model. I assume you aren't changing the actual software but updating table and scalers values when it is flashed. When returned to stock, is it flashed with the version of the tune that is on my PCM now or one that you have already saved on the Accessport? In other words, is the current flashed data saved before it is overwritten with the new tune? Is there an additional charge to move this from one year model to another?
We actually can change the software on the Accessport in order to change it to work with another car but I'll elaborate on that in a moment. Different Porsche vehicles use different control strategies and often different ECUs entirely. The entire reflash tuning strategy involves changing just the values in the ECUs tables along with some added code which allows the Accessport to read data live and make quick changes. Since we use the factory tables, our software is different for each car model. For instance, a 991.2 GT3 won't have any control tables related to turbochargers but a 9Y0 Cayenne certainly will along with different tables to coincide with changes in how Porsche controls fuel, camshaft timing, ignition timing, etc. Even just generational updates can have large changes such as the 997.1 Turbo to the 997.2 Turbo. The Accessport and all of our software has to adapt to the software on the car which is why we have different part numbers for different cars. But the beautiful thing is that if you ever change cars like that, say from your Cayenne to a 991.2 GT3, we can change the software on the Accessport to be compatible. All you have to do is email us and the team can handle the process for you. We can even change from a Porsche Accessport to anything we support like a Nissan GT-R. Pricing on this process is pretty straightforward. It's $150 USD plus any price difference between models (if reprogramming to a more expensive Accessport part number). For example, reprogramming an Accessport for a Cayenne ($1425) to a Macan (also $1425) would just be $150 + tax since there's no price difference. But going from the Cayenne to a 991.2 C2S ($1825) would be $150 + $400 + tax since it's more expensive. It's good to note this isn't always necessary; each Accessport part number supports a variety of models typically and all model years associated. So a AP3-POR-016 will work with all 9Y0 Cayennes (Base and S) (for now...) and if you upgrade from a 2019 Base Cayenne to a 2021 Cayenne S, no reprogramming is needed. Just uninstall the Accessport from the Base and it's ready to go on the S!

As for the stock mapping, it differs across Porsche models. On some of them, we essentially clone the ECU during the installation process and then use that exact file to restore it on the car during uninstallation. However, on most of the newer Porsche ECU's, we use a ROM file that we've retrieved directly from Porsche. This allows a bit higher quality control compared to the other method. In the past on other platforms, say Subaru, customers would install an Accessport on a car which already had a slightly modified "stock-ish" tune designed to look incredibly close to stock but was ever so slightly different and the Accessport couldn't detect the difference. When uninstalling, we don't want to put the car back to a potentially unknown tune so we use a ROM file we've already verified to be truly stock. The factory ROM files are constantly scanned and compared to the data read from the ECU during installation to ensure integrity.

- Andrew
Old 01-14-2023, 04:11 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

This sucks it's not for the 958 this looks great and I'm happy for Cobb and Porsche to be cool and get on board with this and stop holding out. It's like, you aren't cool if you don't work with at least 1 tuner or something.. I can't wait to see what people can tune for. I hope someone pushes the envelope so we can live vicariously through them. I'd give anything to be that guinea pig, if you will. i sometimes dream how fun it would be if I had enough money that I could properly build and trick out my 958 in the most classy, stock-ish look. I think it'd be so fun to smoke most sports cars in Mexico and maybe some SRT Jeeps? ;}

I want to see some upgraded turbo packages, support for E85. That'd be fun.

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 01-14-2023 at 04:27 AM.
Oldboy52 (01-15-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 12:53 PM
dre13
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@COBB Tuning just checking in on the GTS / Turbo tune timing. how things looking? know it's a still a bit early as you said "early 2023" which can be anytime in the first 4-5 months...but figured i'd ask on behalf of all of us who are very excited to see the release.

pinion (02-16-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 01:02 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dre13
@COBB Tuning just checking in on the GTS / Turbo tune timing. how things looking? know it's a still a bit early as you said "early 2023" which can be anytime in the first 4-5 months...but figured i'd ask on behalf of all of us who are very excited to see the release.
Very VERY soon ;-)

For sure you'll be very interested to visit our booth at the upcoming PCA Werks Reunion Amelia Island on March 3rd.

Thanks!

~Jared
swoobie (02-21-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 01:11 PM
dre13
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@COBB Tuning
Old 02-17-2023, 05:12 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts

I browsed through this thread rather quickly, so apologies if this was already mentioned... but no compatibility for the 3.0L E-Hybrid models ? If not, any plans? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2023, 12:56 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mprog
I browsed through this thread rather quickly, so apologies if this was already mentioned... but no compatibility for the 3.0L E-Hybrid models ? If not, any plans? Thanks!
No concrete plans at the moment. But it is something we're really interested in. Hybrid motors are a new venture for us, moreso than the expansion into our first v8 applications with the GTS and Turbo. So we really want to get into the hybrids, but it'll take time to experiment and get it right!

- Andrew
mprog (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:59 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 105 Posts

Awesome to hear.
the hybrid is quick when the batteries are full, and this would make the car really killer.

I’ll be waiting 😀
Old 02-22-2023, 01:31 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bump! 4.0T powered GTS and Turbo model Cayennes are now supported by the Accessport, OTS Maps, and Accesstuner Pro custom tuning software. Power gains have been added to the original post in this thread and an also be found on the COBB Blog.

pinion (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 02:22 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 118 Posts

@COBB Tuning I see the 2023s are not included… is this from lack of testing or is there some other known technical reason why the 2023s wouldn’t be supported? Otherwise this is all looks very encouraging.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:04 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pinion
@COBB Tuning I see the 2023s are not included… is this from lack of testing or is there some other known technical reason why the 2023s wouldn’t be supported? Otherwise this is all looks very encouraging.
We've already seen a few 2023 models which have new ROMs. The only impediment to supporting these is adding them into sofrware/making the necessary maps. This is all in progress and should be ready within the next few weeks!

- Andrew
pinion (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Official : Accessport Tuning for Porsche 9Y0 Cayenne