Sponsored By:

Cayenne E-Hybrid Charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 08:19 AM
BlackRider
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cayenne E-Hybrid Charger

I went to the Porsche dealership today because my check engine light was on in my new 2022 Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid (Code P0306) - Cylinder 6 misfire detected.
They swapped five and six out and everything seems to be working fine.
However when I was there they said there is a Factory Campaign open on my Porsche Mobile Charger. I have to bring my car in for a full day when they can get me a loaner (4 weeks). Does anyone know what the issues is with the charger?

Thanks,
Old 08-26-2022, 09:36 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRider
Does anyone know what the issues is with the charger?
According to the NHTSA this affects the 2021 Turbo SE and the 2021-2022 e-Hybrids with the 7.2 kW On-board Charger.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/P...Communications

Here’s the technical background:
The on board charger mistakes disturbances in the electrical infrastructure (power grid) and/or charging hardware (that sketchy charging station at Walmart) as an internal fault. The OBC then needlessly shuts itself down and leaves you with an uncharged battery. “Customers affected by this are encouraged to evaluate and modify their charging habits (for example, use a different electrical receptacle, a different circuit, or different charging hardware).
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15465-0001.pdf

Here’s the fix:
Information: Various symptoms during or after charging the high-voltage battery, e.g.:
  • Charging of the high-voltage battery not possible or charging process is aborted
  • Check Engine light in the instrument cluster after charging or charging attempt active
  • Fault memory entry ’U112100 – Data bus – missing message (D1211D)’ stored in the fault memory of the high-voltage charger (OBC) control unit
Action Required: In the event of a customer complaint, re-program the high-voltage charger (OBC) control unit using the PIWIS.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15460-0001.pdf

Last edited by Schnave; 08-26-2022 at 09:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
BlackRider (08-26-2022), Mulacttocs (08-28-2022), poolie (08-28-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 12:44 PM
BlackRider
Instructor

Thank you for the information.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:30 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,274 Posts

. . . they said there is a Factory Campaign open on my Porsche Mobile Charger.
Just to clarify, there is a big difference between the wall “charger” and the on-board charger. The wall charger is merely an AC power supply with a compatible connector to your Cayenne. Fancy ones may include Wi-Fi connectivity to set timers and monitor the current consumed by your Cayenne.

The TSB applies to the vehicle’s on board charger. It converts the 110 or 220 AC voltage from the wall charger to usable DC voltage that actually charges the battery. It is located behind the charging port as illustrated below:

Last edited by Schnave; 08-26-2022 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
Needsdecaf (08-29-2022), poolie (08-28-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 01:36 PM
BlackRider
Instructor

I appreciate the information. All I know is that I have to take my car in and they want me to bring in my portable "wall" charger. Maybe they want to do something with my onboard 7.2Kw charger and my portable wall charger.

I will update when I go back. Thanks for all the information.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (08-26-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 06:41 AM
Mulacttocs
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting.... I had my 2022 eHybrid die in the drive overnight while on charge a few months ago. Car went into full UVP mode and had to get a jump start to get it going. I did contact my dealership but never really got an explanation, certainly the battery condition, charging etc was all showing as fine. Hasn't happened again but now I don't leave the car charging overnight which at least limits the risk of issues with the mains.

No word of a factory campaign here though.

Calum
Old 08-28-2022, 09:48 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulacttocs
Interesting.... I had my 2022 eHybrid die in the drive overnight while on charge a few months ago. Car went into full UVP mode and had to get a jump start to get it going. I did contact my dealership but never really got an explanation, certainly the battery condition, charging etc was all showing as fine. Hasn't happened again but now I don't leave the car charging overnight which at least limits the risk of issues with the mains.

No word of a factory campaign here though.

Calum
When did you take delivery? I ordered in June last year and took delivery Oct lsat year for our 22 Hybrid Coupe. Since then we've had issues with the 12V battery dying multiple times the first few months after we got it, then it stopped till recently. Happened last week, but hasn't happened since then.

I'm also waiting on our second key fob and when my SA placed the order for it, she mentioned that there are a few factory campaigns that need to be addressed as well. One specifically is for re-coding the passenger door control unit.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...10768-0001.pdf
According to the document:
The control unit is held in standby mode due to an internal fault in the door control unit on the passenger's side (front door). As a result there will be an increased closed-circuit current load and the 12 V vehicle electrical system battery will become discharged while the vehicle is parked up.

I am suspecting this is what is caused the 12V battery to discharge and go into UVP. This might also be the reason why our alarm goes off randomly often. Have you experienced your alarm going off randomly?

Schnave (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 01:48 PM
Mulacttocs
Intermediate

Hi Lphiesmacks10,

my car was delivered end Nov last year and it came with both key fobs so no issue there.

Although I said no word of a factory campaign i was referring to this latest one mentioned above re the charger. Car has been back for a couple of campaign things including with respect to the electric steering adjustment which hasn't been and won't be delivered : (

Sorry to hear about your battery issues thankfully (fingers crossed) my problem so far has been a one off. That said I did rush over to Amazon at the time to get one of the CTEK 12v lithium battery chargers, just in case.

Calum
Old 08-29-2022, 12:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

The "wall charger" is actually not a charger. It's properly called an EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. It's basically a "smart" extension cord which allows the vehicle to monitor voltage, allow current to flow, etc.

The actual charger is on board the car.
daveo4porsche (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 12:15 PM
BlackRider
Instructor

So there is no confusion this is the charger they want me to bring back to Porsche.

Mobile Charger
Old 08-29-2022, 12:18 PM
Mulacttocs
Intermediate

Hi Blackrider,

post an update and let us know how you get on at the dealership

Thanks,

Calum
Old 08-29-2022, 04:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So there is no confusion this is the charger they want me to bring back to Porsche.

Mobile Charger
Understood. Sorry to be pedantic. Porsche themselves call that the "Mobile Charger Connect". As @Schnave pointed out in the pictures above, the charger lives on the vehicle. The PMCC is just a fancy extension cord.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but want you to understand that if they say "we need to replace the charger" or if they are reprogramming the charger firmware as per the bulletin he posted, they are talking about hardware that's inside your car, not the cord that came with it (or you bought separately).

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 08-29-2022 at 04:27 PM.
daveo4porsche (08-29-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 12:30 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I had my '22 e-hybrid in for what I think is this problem. They wanted my charger and told me they wouldn't do any work unless they could reproduce the problem in their shop. Needless to say in the 2 times they charged the car it didn't throw the code, so they said it must be something with my infrastructure. They wouldn't tell me what the code is exactly, but I'm sure that it's this problem. They also wanted me to bring in my "charger" (cabling), but of course it tested out as being just fine. I think I'll print off the PDF documents for next time it goes in for maintenance and leave it on the dashboard.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:28 PM
BlackRider
Instructor

I have a 2022 Cayenne E-Hybrid. I finally got the information on the MOBILE CHARGE (See above) campaign. The service advisor was very vague on what was done. All she said is that they "put a sticker on it" and gave me an updated manual (more like a 4 page addemdum). I do not see an external sticker so I am not sure what was done or where this sticker was placed. Below is a screen shot of the work that was done. Maybe someone here can help me dicpher what the hell was done. I did overhear that it was the same campaign that the Taycan was undergoing.

What was actually wrong. Were there major issues?

I was looking around the internet for code WMP2 and found this:
05/16/202: Unspecified WMP2 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - REWORKING CHARGING ELECTRONICS (PORSCHE MOBILE)

After more research I found out what was going on: The campagin lowers the amperage. The dealership updated the software which would lower the charging amperage because customers had complained about overheating. The new "lower" amperage is a "default" setting that is easily overridden with software settings. Porsche is not hardcoding or limiting their Porsche Mobile Charger but rather making the initial default setting less demanding which slows the charge rate. In all cases you can still set it to the full 40 amps of charging capacity.

Last edited by BlackRider; 09-22-2022 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackRider:
MKC91 (03-01-2023), Mulacttocs (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 06:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a 2022 Cayenne E-Hybrid. I finally got the information on the MOBILE CHARGE (See above) campaign. The service advisor was very vague on what was done. All she said is that they "put a sticker on it" and gave me an updated manual (more like a 4 page addemdum). I do not see an external sticker so I am not sure what was done or where this sticker was placed. Below is a screen shot of the work that was done. Maybe someone here can help me dicpher what the hell was done. I did overhear that it was the same campaign that the Taycan was undergoing.

What was actually wrong. Were there major issues?

I was looking around the internet for code WMP2 and found this:
05/16/202: Unspecified WMP2 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - REWORKING CHARGING ELECTRONICS (PORSCHE MOBILE)

After more research I found out what was going on: The campagin lowers the amperage. The dealership updated the software which would lower the charging amperage because customers had complained about overheating. The new "lower" amperage is a "default" setting that is easily overridden with software settings. Porsche is not hardcoding or limiting their Porsche Mobile Charger but rather making the initial default setting less demanding which slows the charge rate. In all cases you can still set it to the full 40 amps of charging capacity.
This is such a cop out "repair". Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Cayenne E-Hybrid Charger