Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne E-Hybrid Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 03:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,635 Likes on 1,778 Posts

complain to your dealer - or fiddle with the settings each time you plug in your 7.2 kW Cayenne

but in the mean time - this will "fix" the problem for $349

https://www.mustartpower.com/product...update-version

it won't overheat
it will always work
and you won't have to reset it for maximum charge rate each time you plug in your EV or Hybrid.
and it's smaller/lighter than the Porsche Product
and it doesn't have WiFi so there is no OTA update overnight that will nerf/neuter it.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-24-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

you can also disable "automatic" updates in the configuration panel of the PMCC - this will hopefully avoid the default 20 amp setting if you so desire…once the update is applied I know of no Porsche supported method to revert to a previous version of the PMCC software.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:53 PM
JArnald
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
one can never say never

but there is ZERO possibility these issue are related

the external charger - called EVSE - is really just a fancy extension cord - well Porsche did not design their EVSE to properly handle a full 40 amp charging load so they are now "down rating" their fancy extension cord from a 40 amp extension cord to a 20 amp extension cord - there is no way these two issues are related.
Thank-you daveo4porsche.

I also got the message "Smart charging not currently available".

So I called PCNA and asked if this was temporary. Response that this has been done across the board. Safety.

Version 3014 for now.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I sent this to my service manager this morning…

[Service Manager Name],

As you may or may not know Porsche has a new version of PMCC software that was pushed OTA last night. Version 3014 (vs. Previous version 2934). This new software contains the updated reduction in charging amps with the EVSE now defaulting to 20 amps instead of the max rated 40 amps. This is unsurprising and given the known issues with the PMCC I sure this is the best Porsche can do under the circumstances to mitigate issues that I know about and issues that I do not know about.

However I feel there has been a loss here - in that, in solving this problem Porsche has overnight doubled the charge time for every Taycan owner in North America with no notice/education - and for Hybrid owners w/7.2 kW charger they have increase charging time by 60% - this is not an inconsequential change to charging durations for the entire fleet of Porsche Hybrids/EV’s.

I have successfully overridden the 20 amp default charge rate but apparently this setting is not saved and when the PMCC is idle (unplugged from vehicle or powered down via the power button) it reverts back to the 20 amp setting. To describe this as awkward and a terrible user experience is an understatement.

I’m sure Porsche has their reasons for this change and the data supports this type of decision based on what Porsche knows that I do not know. But I would like you to share with Porsche North America and Germany my disappointment regarding this sweeping change in charging time duration with no notice and/or limited education about what Porsche customers can do to restore optimal charging duration times. Not all customers are as well informed/educated as I am and I’m sure there will be some confusion and un-necessary warranty investigations when people notice their vehicles are taking 60% to 100% longer to charge than they did prior to this update.

Please express my disappointment to Porsche North America, but I look forward to any long term response that restores the fully documented and specified charging rate of 9.6 kW that was listed as the technical specifications of the vehicle and charger when it was purchased.

NOTE: it’s well understood the standard North American Taycan’s maximum charge rate is 48 amps (11-12 kW) which is the same as Europe and other regions. The Porsche USA website continues to this day to mis-represent the Taycan’s maximum L2 charge rate as 9.6 kW…which has now be reduced by default software setting in the PMCC to 4.8 kW

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter - no response is required - this is simply feedback for Porsche corp. and an offer to engage with them should they want a customer perspective.

Take care and thank you!
Old 09-24-2022, 06:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JArnald
Thank-you daveo4porsche.

I also got the message "Smart charging not currently available".

So I called PCNA and asked if this was temporary. Response that this has been done across the board. Safety.

Version 3014 for now.
ummm follow up question Mr. Porsche (not @JArnald ) given Porsche's admission that their EVSE has safety issues running at a full 7.2 or 9.6 kW (32 and 40 amps respectively) what is Porsche's official recommendation for an EVSE vendor that can run safely at a full 7.2/9.6 kW? Matching my vehicle's documented technical specifications for maximum charge rate?

What EVSE do you now recommend to use instead of the Porsche one?
Old 09-25-2022, 08:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

here is summary of the facts so far for PMCC update software version 3014
  • Porsche pushed OTA update for the PMCC version 3014 in the past couple of days
  • this version sets your PMCC's default charge rate to 20 amps - this will charge any EV/Hybrid slower than the original 40 amp specification (or 24 amp spec if you're using a NEMA xx-30 supply cable)
  • this makes the default charge rate 4.8 kW - NOT 9.6 kW
  • this setting can be temporarily overridden via the LCD setting pages on the PMCC's LCD screen - but this setting will be "lost" if the PMCC is powered down or unplugged
    • the PMCC's webportal also can set this value higher - but again it's only temporary
  • in my case logging in with the "home" user name password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not"retain" the setting across reboots - I tested this with my unit software version 3014 - using chrome on MacOS
  • in my case logging in with the "customer service" user name and password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not retain the settings across a reboot - I tested this with my unit software version 3014
  • connecting to the unit's webportal is tricky for the average user - since default browser security settings these days tend to refuse to connect to websites with self signed SSL certficates…this is a hurdle for the average user - but problem doesn't matter because the webportal override is temporary just like the LCD screen settings.
  • after the OTA update is initially installed the LCD screen charger rate setting screen is Locked and no adjustment can be made - it's been reported that simply rebooting the PMCC restores the ability to temporarily adjust charge rate - but still the adjustment is lost each time the PMCC powers back on and the 20 amp default is restored.
  • this update appears to only affect North American units - European PMCC's still appear to be the excellent product years of data and positive customer experience have indicated and no change in charging behavior in these units is apparent or reported at this time - this so far only appears to affect North American units
  • Release notes have not yet been provided - but may be posted when the update image is posted on Porsche's PMCC downloads site - thanks to @AndiL for this suggestion
  • I have not yet discovered a method to adjust the charge rate overrides the default 20 amp value across a PMCC reboot or idle shut down
  • Unless you manually adjust the charging rate each time you use your PMCC it is now effectively a 4.8 kW EVSE vs. it's original 9.6 kW specifcation - and it can only temporarily be adjusted above it's new default 4.8 kW charging rate.
  • given that nature of this sort of change reasoned speculation is that Porsche has made this change for safety reasons although no specific reasons have been provided by Porsche.
  • this change ONLY affects the PMCC EVSE - it does not change your Taycan's (or Hybrid's) maximum charge rate - but you vehicle will charge slower when using a PMCC in it's default state
  • if your PMCC is not connected to WiFi you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
  • if your PMCC has auto update disabled you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
    • however even with auto updates disabled - if your PMCC is on wifi - an unmodified PMCC will "pester" you with a full screen request to apply the update "now" - you can dismiss this "pester" message, but so far I've found no way to suppress it.
  • if your PMCC has been unused and "off" the past couple of days you are unlikely to have received the update - but if you turn it on and do not want the update you'll need to be quick to disable auto-updates and disconnect from wifi when you power it up - using the settings menu on the LCD screen.
  • no word or suggestion yet from Porsche as to if this is a permanent change pending some future parts updates or if there is even any follow up expected - stay tuned
Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 PM
JArnald
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
here is summary of the facts so far for PMCC update software version 3014
  • Porsche pushed OTA update for the PMCC version 3014 in the past couple of days
  • this version sets your PMCC's default charge rate to 20 amps - this will charge any EV/Hybrid slower than the original 40 amp specification (or 24 amp spec if you're using a NEMA xx-30 supply cable)
  • this makes the default charge rate 4.8 kW - NOT 9.6 kW
  • this setting can be temporarily overridden via the LCD setting pages on the PMCC's LCD screen - but this setting will be "lost" if the PMCC is powered down or unplugged
    • the PMCC's webportal also can set this value higher - but again it's only temporary
  • in my case logging in with the "home" user name password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not"retain" the setting across reboots - I tested this with my unit software version 3014 - using chrome on MacOS
  • in my case logging in with the "customer service" user name and password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not retain the settings across a reboot - I tested this with my unit software version 3014
  • connecting to the unit's webportal is tricky for the average user - since default browser security settings these days tend to refuse to connect to websites with self signed SSL certficates…this is a hurdle for the average user - but problem doesn't matter because the webportal override is temporary just like the LCD screen settings.
  • after the OTA update is initially installed the LCD screen charger rate setting screen is Locked and no adjustment can be made - it's been reported that simply rebooting the PMCC restores the ability to temporarily adjust charge rate - but still the adjustment is lost each time the PMCC powers back on and the 20 amp default is restored.
  • this update appears to only affect North American units - European PMCC's still appear to be the excellent product years of data and positive customer experience have indicated and no change in charging behavior in these units is apparent or reported at this time - this so far only appears to affect North American units
  • Release notes have not yet been provided - but may be posted when the update image is posted on Porsche's PMCC downloads site - thanks to @AndiL for this suggestion
  • I have not yet discovered a method to adjust the charge rate overrides the default 20 amp value across a PMCC reboot or idle shut down
  • Unless you manually adjust the charging rate each time you use your PMCC it is now effectively a 4.8 kW EVSE vs. it's original 9.6 kW specifcation - and it can only temporarily be adjusted above it's new default 4.8 kW charging rate.
  • given that nature of this sort of change reasoned speculation is that Porsche has made this change for safety reasons although no specific reasons have been provided by Porsche.
  • this change ONLY affects the PMCC EVSE - it does not change your Taycan's (or Hybrid's) maximum charge rate - but you vehicle will charge slower when using a PMCC in it's default state
  • if your PMCC is not connected to WiFi you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
  • if your PMCC has auto update disabled you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
    • however even with auto updates disabled - if your PMCC is on wifi - an unmodified PMCC will "pester" you with a full screen request to apply the update "now" - you can dismiss this "pester" message, but so far I've found no way to suppress it.
  • if your PMCC has been unused and "off" the past couple of days you are unlikely to have received the update - but if you turn it on and do not want the update you'll need to be quick to disable auto-updates and disconnect from wifi when you power it up - using the settings menu on the LCD screen.
  • no word or suggestion yet from Porsche as to if this is a permanent change pending some future parts updates or if there is even any follow up expected - stay tuned
I have your model home install. 240V circuit, 50 amp breakers, 6 gauge wire from our panel to our indoor garage charging station.

As I have been utilizing 40 amp and the unit actually shows 31.3, it fluctuates very little, I have noticed the cord to be warm.

I recently read that maybe the PMCC is a 10 gauge wire but how about Porsche upgrading my 25 foot cable to 6 gauge with my 14-50 plug.

It only stands to reason that if you go with a base assumption of a professionally installed 50 amp proper service utilizing a 6 gauge wire for input, that the downstream systems all fully support that infrastructure, full stop. Is this not common sense?

Guys from Porsche, please send me a 6 gauge wire to compliment my input source and I'll be a happy camper! I paid you $1,400 CAD for a 7.2 KW on board charger and I have become accustomed to charging our hybrid nightly and on a positive note it's never more than 2+ hours. Thank-you.

Let's be solutioned oriented. I absolutely love our 2022 Cayenne e-Hybrid. You are all working towards making more EV's in your product line, the Macan seems to be next up. Not really sure what my Boxster GTS on-order will be, ICE, or EV. I'm OK either way, but let's agree to getting this charging thing sorted. Pronto.
The following 2 users liked this post by JArnald:
daveo4porsche (09-25-2022), Onesunnybeach (01-15-2024)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JArnald
I have your model home install. 240V circuit, 50 amp breakers, 6 gauge wire from our panel to our indoor garage charging station.

As I have been utilizing 40 amp and the unit actually shows 31.3, it fluctuates very little, I have noticed the cord to be warm.

I recently read that maybe the PMCC is a 10 gauge wire but how about Porsche upgrading my 25 foot cable to 6 gauge with my 14-50 plug.

It only stands to reason that if you go with a base assumption of a professionally installed 50 amp proper service utilizing a 6 gauge wire for input, that the downstream systems all fully support that infrastructure, full stop. Is this not common sense?

Guys from Porsche, please send me a 6 gauge wire to compliment my input source and I'll be a happy camper! I paid you $1,400 CAD for a 7.2 KW on board charger and I have become accustomed to charging our hybrid nightly and on a positive note it's never more than 2+ hours. Thank-you.

Let's be solutioned oriented. I absolutely love our 2022 Cayenne e-Hybrid. You are all working towards making more EV's in your product line, the Macan seems to be next up. Not really sure what my Boxster GTS on-order will be, ICE, or EV. I'm OK either way, but let's agree to getting this charging thing sorted. Pronto.
31 amps is normal for a Cayenne and fits with it's 7.2 kW charge rate

the 10 gauge wire is not in the cable from the PMCC to the vehicle - this cable is fine/safe and appropriate gauge wire

the overheating problem is related to the NEMA 14-50/6-50 power supply cable (15" or less) and this cable is 10 gauge wire which is electrically safe for 40 amp loads, but can get uncomfortably warm during extended use with 40 amp EV's like the Taycan…

the PMCC so far does not have any known issues supporting a 3.6 or 7.2 kW Cayenne/Panamera eHybrid since they only pull 32 amps or less while charging and not the full 40 amps where the thermal issues can occur due to the higher loads.

but Porsche has nerf'ed the North American PMCC fleet to 20 amps (4.8 kW) becuase of potential issues - as to exactly why they are not saying.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-25-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:27 PM
BlackRider
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Porsche sent me a letter finally explaining what was wrong with my charger for my 2022 Cayenne E-hybrid

Mystery Solved
Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackRider
Porsche sent me a letter finally explaining what was wrong with my charger for my 2022 Cayenne E-hybrid

Mystery Solved
this both a recall and OTA update - the OTA update "forces" a default of 20 amps (4.8 kW) unless you adjust the PMCC settings prior to each use.

if you want an easy/simple EVSE that can charge your Cayenne at it's full rate of 7.2 kW or Taycan at it's full rate of 9.6 kW you now must consider purchasing an alternative EVSE from someone other than Porsche.

this change will not affect 3.6 kW Cayenne's - since 20 amp is 4.8 kW more than 3.6 kW

but charge time using Porsche's new defaults will increase total charge time for a 7.2 kW Cayenne by 60% - 2 hour charge becomes 3 hours and 12 minutes
and increase charge time for a Taycan by 100% - a 4 hour charge now becomes 8 hours (or 19 hours for a full 0-100% charge)
Old 10-03-2022, 08:49 PM
AlHB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I measured the temperature of the older style Porsche Mobile Charger that I received with my 2019 Cayenne eHybrid. The highest temperature was directly below the NEMA 6-50 plug it was only 107°F. At the vehicle, below the plastic handle, the cable was slightly warm to the touch 85 to 90°F. These readings were taken when the car battery was charging from about 80% full, which is probably the highest load on the PMC.
I intend to decline the "upgrade."
Old 10-08-2022, 05:27 PM
mb280sl
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Message About Need to Remove Charging Cable (That is Not Attached)

My 2019 E-Hybrid is now at the dealer for the third time with the same problem. After a full battery charge has been depleted and I'm running on the IC engine, if I turn off and try to restart, I get a message that I "need to remove the charging cable to start the car." The charging cable is not even attached! The dealer seems stumped by this. I have been able to eventually get it started with multiple turns of the key and pushing of the buttons on the charger port of the car, but it took 10 minutes of doing this yesterday before the vehicle was able to start. Has anyone experienced this? Is it a problem with the vehicle onboard charger? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2022, 06:21 PM
normp
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mb280sl
My 2019 E-Hybrid is now at the dealer for the third time with the same problem. After a full battery charge has been depleted and I'm running on the IC engine, if I turn off and try to restart, I get a message that I "need to remove the charging cable to start the car." The charging cable is not even attached! The dealer seems stumped by this. I have been able to eventually get it started with multiple turns of the key and pushing of the buttons on the charger port of the car, but it took 10 minutes of doing this yesterday before the vehicle was able to start. Has anyone experienced this? Is it a problem with the vehicle onboard charger? Thanks for the help!
It’s been awhile but I had this happen a couple of times, if I remember correctly both times I was still running on the battery. There must be a contact in charging connection that tells the vehicle that the charging cable is connected and prevents it from starting and driving off while connected. I always got out, opened the charging door, swore at it, closed the charging door and it started up. The contact is not in the charging door, I just checked and you can move with the door open.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:53 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mb280sl
This is a mechanical problem, nothing to do with software and I have had this happen. Per lead tech at dealer, there is a pin that gets pushed in when the charger is connected, and it sometimes gets stuck in, instead of returning to it's normal position. When that happens your Cayenne thinks the charger is still connected and will not start properly. The pin can be manually reset and it should solve the issue. Service manager said they had it happen to one other E Hybrid, so not a common problem, but it is an easy 20 minute fix.
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (01-15-2024)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:10 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 134 Posts

What pisses off more about this situation is that Iwall mounted the Porsche charger and bought their Charger connect box ( or whatever that big glass box called) for around $800 to make it look nicer. Now if this charger turn out to be useless for my 7.2 kw Cayenne and I have to get a new non-Porsche charger, I basically wasted that $800. Has anyone had any luck getting a new charger from Porsche or some type of compensation if you have a 7.2kw charger on your Cayenne?

Quick Reply: Cayenne E-Hybrid Charger