Sponsored By:

GTS Exhaust Retrofit to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 07:49 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GTS Exhaust Retrofit to Turbo

Love the way the GTS sounds, makes the Turbo sound pedestrian. Haven't located parts numbers yet. Anyone else tried this?
Old 08-19-2022, 08:06 PM
supershaft
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 166 Posts

Aren't they the same if both have PSE?
Old 08-19-2022, 09:06 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by supershaft
Porsche added some special sauce to the GTS exhaust. From the Cayenne GTS press kit, pages 8-10:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jcr...s_kit_PCNA.pdf
  • To match the new car's impressive performance, its specifically tuned Sport Exhaust Systems deliver a fittingly emotional sound.The twin-branch Sport Exhaust System has a modified, large-volume rear muffler and, compared to the Sport Exhaust System available on the other Cayenne models, the standard Sport Exhaust Systems of the GTS models have additional features that further differentiate them.
  • This includes targeted reduction of sound deadening material, mainly in the rear, to intensify the exhaust note audible from the cabin.

Last edited by Schnave; 08-19-2022 at 09:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
Rischey (07-05-2023), SilverSteel (07-03-2023)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:22 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Originally Posted by supershaft
I heard both under acceleration last week at LD and the GTS is more visceral - to me, it's more of a good thing. I bought my Turbo used and have the Sport Tailpipes rather than the full Sport Exhaust, so would make a huge difference.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:27 PM
swoobie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
Porsche added some special sauce to the GTS exhaust. From the Cayenne GTS press kit, pages 8-10:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jcr...s_kit_PCNA.pdf
  • To match the new car's impressive performance, its specifically tuned Sport Exhaust Systems deliver a fittingly emotional sound.The twin-branch Sport Exhaust System has a modified, large-volume rear muffler and, compared to the Sport Exhaust System available on the other Cayenne models, the standard Sport Exhaust Systems of the GTS models have additional features that further differentiate them.
  • This includes targeted reduction of sound deadening material, mainly in the rear, to intensify the exhaust note audible from the cabin.
Schnave - you are an amazing resource on this forum. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (07-03-2023)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:35 PM
supershaft
Pro

Huh today I learned something

I like the sound my turbo makes. It could be a bit more aggressive but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

I may spring for the akrapovic in the near future if I get bored
Old 08-19-2022, 11:31 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

You’re not alone in wanting more sound. Can you imagine watching a great action movie on a giant 4K screen with puny bookshelf speakers? You need big subwoofers to enjoy the movie. Just as good sound makes the movie, good sound makes the Cayenne.

Some folks follow the “Everything in moderation” paradigm. They are quite happy to drive Lexis RX 350’s.

But you bought a Porsche Cayenne. Nay, you bought a Porsche Cayenne TURBO with 550 horsepower. I mean, who really needs 550 horsepower? Yes, please! And where can I get an ECU tune for that?

When it comes to my cars, I subscribe to the “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing” paradigm. I suspect you may feel that way, as well. My 993 has Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats and Fister Stage 3 cans. When I slam the fun pedal above 4,000 rpm, that air cooled flat-6 wails like a shrieking Banshee. Small children run to their mothers and dogs howl in my wake. That car gives me more smiles per mile than any other I’ve owned. 😀

The Sport Exhaust (PSE) on my Cayenne Turbo may not scare children but still has a satisfying bark and burble more befitting of the Porsche badge. Way better sound than my wife’s subdued, boring standard exhaust Cayenne Turbo. Better yet, with PSE, I always have the option of turning down the volume with the flick of a switch when driving with my wife. The transition between PSE on / off takes less than one second. I’m working on a kitchen pass for a set of Fabspeed catted downpipes. Then I’ll be completely satisfied with the sound.

So I say go for the gusto and overdo it. If you really want to turn it up to 11, go for the aftermarket exhaust and don’t forget the catted downpipes!

Last edited by Schnave; 08-19-2022 at 11:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
Rischey (07-05-2023), skippy454 (08-21-2022), supershaft (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 01:30 AM
supershaft
Pro

Originally Posted by Schnave
You’re not alone in wanting more sound. Can you imagine watching a great action movie on a giant 4K screen with puny bookshelf speakers? You need big subwoofers to enjoy the movie. Just as good sound makes the movie, good sound makes the Cayenne.

Some folks follow the “Everything in moderation” paradigm. They are quite happy to drive Lexis RX 350’s.

But you bought a Porsche Cayenne. Nay, you bought a Porsche Cayenne TURBO with 550 horsepower. I mean, who really needs 550 horsepower? Yes, please! And where can I get an ECU tune for that?

When it comes to my cars, I subscribe to the “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing” paradigm. I suspect you may feel that way, as well. My 993 has Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats and Fister Stage 3 cans. When I slam the fun pedal above 4,000 rpm, that air cooled flat-6 wails like a shrieking Banshee. Small children run to their mothers and dogs howl in my wake. That car gives me more smiles per mile than any other I’ve owned. 😀

The Sport Exhaust (PSE) on my Cayenne Turbo may not scare children but still has a satisfying bark and burble more befitting of the Porsche badge. Way better sound than my wife’s subdued, boring standard exhaust Cayenne Turbo. Better yet, with PSE, I always have the option of turning down the volume with the flick of a switch when driving with my wife. The transition between PSE on / off takes less than one second. I’m working on a kitchen pass for a set of Fabspeed catted downpipes. Then I’ll be completely satisfied with the sound.

So I say go for the gusto and overdo it. If you really want to turn it up to 11, go for the aftermarket exhaust and don’t forget the catted downpipes!
You got me figured out! I always overdo my cars. My 992 was obnoxiously loud at cold start but sounded fantastic with akrapovic. I also change my cars out more often than my underwear. However, the Cayenne Turbo has a special place in my heart so I fully intend to keep it but just like with some of my ex girlfriends it's hard to commit so early in the relationship.

So far I've done a racechip tune, cete lowering module, and ordered some VR forged D04s. I have an akrapovic sitting in my cart taunting me but I'm trying to get past the mental hurdle of spending so much money so soon, again. haha

Last edited by supershaft; 08-20-2022 at 01:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by supershaft:
Hedges82 (12-31-2022), Schnave (08-20-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 04:35 PM
ltbong
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swoobie
Love the way the GTS sounds, makes the Turbo sound pedestrian. Haven't located parts numbers yet. Anyone else tried this?
Did you ever do this retrofit? I have a Turbo as well and was looking into doing the PSE retrofit until I saw this thread.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:30 PM
AdamKTexas
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone dug into this deeper? Part numbers needed for retrofit? This could potentially be a cheaper solution then 7-10k exhaust systems available for the Cayenne Turbo.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

Looking through byerporsche.com parts catalog, looks like 2022 GTS exhaust has the same part number (9Y0253125A and $1715) as 2022 Turbo with sport exhaust. I know it sounds different in person as GTS simply sounds more aggressive than Turbo but slower .

It also confuses me that PSE system has different part number (9Y0-044-222 and $3230 including exhaust tips). I wonder what the extra costs are besides exhaust tips.

Last edited by Silververtu; 07-03-2023 at 03:09 PM.
AdamKTexas (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 06:34 PM
AdamKTexas
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Looking through byerporsche.com parts catalog, looks like 2022 GTS exhaust has the same part number (9Y0253125A and $1715) as 2022 Turbo with sport exhaust. I know it sounds different in person as GTS simply sounds more aggressive than Turbo but slower .

It also confuses me that PSE system has different part number (9Y0-044-222 and $3230 including exhaust tips). I wonder what the extra costs are besides exhaust tips.
Awesome research and thank you, this is my first Porsche so still getting used to all the parts websites.

So the question remains: How is the GTS exhaust louder than the turbo?
Old 07-03-2023, 10:48 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamKTexas
Awesome research and thank you, this is my first Porsche so still getting used to all the parts websites.

So the question remains: How is the GTS exhaust louder than the turbo?
From post #3 in this thread: According to Porsche’s GTS press kit, the GTS has a modified, large volume rear muffler. Additionally, Porsche removed sound deadening material in the rear of the GTS to intensify the audible sound in the cabin.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:57 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

It is pretty mean sounding for a lawnmower.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:05 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

I wonder replacing the front session mufflers next to the transmission (#4 on photo) will help open up the sound. There are quite a few afternarket that makes straight pipe to replace the front session mufflers for X5M and it helps opening up the exhaust volume without changing the tone too much.

AdamKTexas (07-06-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS Exhaust Retrofit to Turbo