Sponsored By:

2022 Cayenne Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 07:53 AM
kash1786
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy LiPO4

I give up with Lithium battery's. Sent the car to have tints fitted and black out the chrome, and lo and behold the Lithium battery dropped voltage, and is now in safe mode. Cayenne (2019) only starts with a jump start, but when started has the red electrical fault error, and switching it off kills everything. Battery seems to be stuck in 'safe mode'. Tried connecting the NOCO charger up, and its not detecting any voltage so not charging. There HAS to be a way of getting the AGM in!

Tried waking the battery up by connecting to a healthy 12v battery, but no luck !
Old 03-07-2023, 08:26 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,135 Likes on 1,463 Posts

a regular charger or a 12v battery won’t work, you need a booster with a surge feature to wake up the battery. One like this, and press the red exclamation point to bring the battery out of sleep mode.

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by drcollie; 03-07-2023 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kash1786 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 08:54 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

If you can’t get the BMS to reconnect with a booster, there may be another possibility: the BMS may have permanently disconnected the battery.

We’re all familiar with the battery going to sleep when the voltage drops below 10V or 15% State of Charge (SoC). Boosting or jumping the battery will reset the BMS and allow charging again.

But the battery can also go to sleep permanently (sleep with the fishes) if the voltage drops below 6.5V or exceeds 18V. The logic: The cells have been damaged by the extreme voltage and may cause a hazardous malfunction if used again.

Porsche says the battery also disconnects when the battery is overheated or is short circuited. Any chance the shop dropped a wrench across a hot terminal?

Another possibility: The BMS circuitry has malfunctioned. Luckily, it is replaceable. Another member had his replaced and restored the battery to normal operation. Important: prior to replacing the BMS, check the internal battery voltage is between 6.5V and 18V. If outside those limits, your battery is fried.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Schnave; 03-07-2023 at 09:02 AM.
kash1786 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:36 AM
kash1786
AutoX

Very useful, thank you @drcollie and @Schnave , I've ordered a Li specific charger off Amazon today that has a 'wake up' option, hoping that would work. Bit concerned that the jump start didn't prompt the battery to wake up and start charging from the alternator. Don't have much hope!

No shorting of the battery from what I was told, they said they jumped it from the terminals under the bonnet. Very annoying, as I just got the car back on the road after a major repair on the front (proud to say I did myself- minus the spraying )

Before..

And after!
Old 03-07-2023, 11:21 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

If you turn the ignition to the first position while doing maintenance or just playing with the PCM, the battery will quicker drain and go into low voltage protection mode. Ask me how I know. It's an easy fix to use the surge feature of a booster to reset the system. Please post here if that is successful.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Do the hybrids have the LiPO4 12v battery as well?
Old 03-07-2023, 12:18 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Prior to jump starting the engine again, verify the BMS has reconnected the battery. From your description, it sounds like the BMS has NOT reconnected.

Huh? Then why did it run after I jumped it? Because you don’t need a battery to run a car once it’s started. That’s right — no battery needed. The vehicle runs off the alternator.

Don’t believe me? Check out this fascinating video (well, fascinating for a geek). He disconnects the battery and the engine runs just fine.

However, running a modern vehicle without a battery can damage the delicate electrical systems. In the video, he puts a voltmeter on the alternator output. The voltage goes crazy, ranging from 9V-15V. Can’t be good for the electronics.

So here’s how to check it. Give the battery a good boost at 13V - 14V for a couple minutes. That should wake up the battery. Remove the booster and check the voltage. If it still reads zero, don’t start the engine. You could cause serious damage to your electrical system.

I suspect that’s why you have the RED Electrical Fault message.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-07-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:07 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had 3 LG Chem 12V main batteries go bad on me from Porsche, in 15 months, 2 of them went bad in 4.5 months. After I sent an e-mail to Porsche USA CEO, VP of customer Experience and got the " executive customer escalations " person on the phone she didn't admit it but said " yeah we are having a lot of discussions around those batteries and in the Taycon batteries are having issues as well "

clearly LG Chem batteries are junk

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 03-08-2023 at 11:52 AM.
kash1786 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:37 PM
Surferbum
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
I've had 3 LG Chem 12V main batteries go bad on me from Porsche, in 15 months, 2 of them went bad in 4.5 months. After I sent an e-mail to Porsche USA CEO, VP of customer Experience and got the " executive customer escalations " person on the phone she didn't admit it but said " yeah we are having a lot of discussions around those batteries and in the Taycon batteries are having issues as well "

clearly LG Chem batteries are junk
Can you give me the contact information for VP of customer experience? My battery failed and car is 2 months out of warranty so Porsche is reducing to help.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:09 PM
kash1786
AutoX

Originally Posted by Surferbum
Can you give me the contact information for VP of customer experience? My battery failed and car is 2 months out of warranty so Porsche is reducing to help.
Interesting to see that this is common! I've asked Porsche to check and order a new battery, which is obviously not it stock. I've put an AGM battery in for now (error code on dash). Tried using the neg battery cable from a panamera with IBS to see if it would work, unfortunately it doesn't. I noticed the LIN plug on my car has a single wire, and the picture recently with factory fitted AGM has 2 wires. So it doesn't work as a plug and play .

​​​​​​
Old 04-04-2023, 12:02 AM
don_musico
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just after replacing the LG battery in the service in my Cayenne GTS 2021 year in the Polish Porsche salon. The battery ran out while cleaning the car, due to an urgent trip I put in an AGM battery, which of course Porsche didn't like. They ordered the battery saying they would run the warranty procedure so it won't cost me anything. The battery was supposed to arrive in 4 days. It arrived after exactly 14 days, after many arguments and arguments with Porsche.
Finally, they said that because of me inserting a regular battery, they are unable to create documentation for the guarantor and I have to pay for the battery and, of course, replacement and its coding for the car. Final cost $2,331.27
Old 04-16-2023, 06:08 PM
JasonZY
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I just found this post discussing how to re-code the BMS to wake up the battery, anyone tried if this works?: How to Disable Porsche Cayenne Battery Protection Mode?: 車OBDIIツール (seesaa.net)
josephcc (09-07-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 05:58 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Do the hybrids have the LiPO4 12v battery as well?
Yep my 2023 cayenne e-hybrid came with LiFePO4 battery
Old 01-12-2024, 11:54 PM
unvjustintime
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kash1786
Interesting to see that this is common! I've asked Porsche to check and order a new battery, which is obviously not it stock. I've put an AGM battery in for now (error code on dash). Tried using the neg battery cable from a panamera with IBS to see if it would work, unfortunately it doesn't. I noticed the LIN plug on my car has a single wire, and the picture recently with factory fitted AGM has 2 wires. So it doesn't work as a plug and play .

​​​​​​

did this get resolved? It appears 992 has one wire external BMS sensor for agm battery but cayenne has two wire. Was your issue with what vehicle and was anything resolved?
Old 01-13-2024, 10:32 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by kash1786
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by unvjustintime
did this get resolved? It appears 992 has one wire external BMS sensor for agm battery but cayenne has two wire. Was your issue with what vehicle and was anything resolved?
These comments are worth investigating. To convert a .1 with LiFePO4 battery to AGM, it could be required to install a late .1 or .2 negative cable AND LIN harness. Need to dig up information on the design of the late .1 and .2 LIN harness.

Quick Reply: 2022 Cayenne Battery