Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to disable Auto-Unlocking of doors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 05:14 PM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How to disable Auto-Unlocking of doors?

Just picked up a 2022 Cayenne Turbo and have a problem with the doors automatically unlocking when vehicle is placed in park. I can think MANY situations where that is not a good idea. One night I pulled over to take a phone call and a drunk guy hopped in the back, he thought I was his uber driver. This is was in my Audi, but my new Cayenne appears to work the same way. On my previous Cayenne there were settings for auto-lock and auto-unlock but on this 2022 model there is only auto-lock.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:02 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

There has to be a way to change that brother
Old 04-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I didn’t realize this — thanks for pointing that out. You prompted me to conduct a test drive on the locking system. Here are my results:

My Cayenne behaves as yours when “Lock doors while driving” is selected. Even if just the driver’s door is selected in the Door Unlocking menu (when using the key fob), ALL doors unlock when transmission is placed in Park. I tried manually locking prior to, and after the auto-lock engaged. Both methods failed to prevent the unlock in Park.

I found a work around if security is more important than convenience. Disable the “Lock doors while driving” in the PCM and manually lock all the doors by pressing the lock button on the drivers door.

Now here’s where your troubles are rewarded: When you select Park, all doors will stay locked. When you’ve determined the area is safe, simply pull the interior door handle to simultaneously unlock and open the driver’s door. Note that this will also unlock ALL other doors, regardless of which doors are selected in the Door Unlocking menu.

Technology is sometimes one step forward and three steps back.

PCM 6.0: Settings | Car | Vehicle locking system. Un-check “Lock doors while driving”. (I hope this is accurate. I used the PCM 6 simulator.)

PCM 5: SET | Vehicle Settings | Locking. Uncheck “Lock while driving”.

Last edited by Schnave; 04-11-2022 at 11:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
911NV (04-12-2022), Heegoogoo1 (04-13-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 05:49 PM
911NV
Advanced

Thank you very much for illustrating that. I will use this option to not lock the doors while driving until I can find a better option. Unfortunately that means I have to remember to lock it manually every time (which is not a huge problem for me), but it makes me uncomfortable that my wife or daughter could forget.

For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of locking the doors while the car is moving and unlocking when its stopped (obviously nobody is going to hop in the backseat while its moving).

And yes I do prioritize safety over convenience, it would be more convenient to not have to wear a seat belt, but I do.

The fact that the vehicle unlocks all doors when the drivers door is opened is big safety concern, especially around gas stations (LA has some pretty seedy areas that unfortunately I have to travel through). I'll try locking the car with the key fob when I get out to fill up but I wonder if a backseat passenger (child) would set the motion alarm off. I'll have to try it. I really wish the vehicle would just lock automatically and then just leave the unlocking to me.

Thanks again! sorry for the rant.. its just amazes me that $175k car is so lazy with its safety

Old 04-12-2022, 06:58 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911NV
I'll try locking the car with the key fob when I get out to fill up but I wonder if a backseat passenger (child) would set the motion alarm off. I'll have to try it.
Technology strikes again! Yes, you can disable the interior monitoring but Comfort Access will allow a thief to unlock the door since you are standing nearby with the key fob. You can disable Comfort Access in the PCM, or temporarily disable using the Rube Goldberg method:

Lock the doors and disable interior monitoring:
Press lock button on key fob twice within 2 seconds.
The emergency flasher emits one long flash.
The doors are locked but can be opened from the inside by pulling the door opener.
Inform any persons remaining in the vehicle that the alarm system will be triggered if the door is opened from the inside.

Then temporarily disable Comfort Access:
Press the key fob lock and unlock buttons at the same time and hold down until the light indicator on the key fob lights up continuously.
Deactivation is confirmed when the light on the key fob lights up continuously.
The Comfort Access functions are reactivated automatically when you press the buttons on the key fob.

Simple, right? Gotta love technology! 🤪

Last edited by Schnave; 04-12-2022 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911NV (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:18 PM
trigs175
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of locking the doors while the car is moving and unlocking when its stopped (obviously nobody is going to hop in the backseat while its moving).
The doors do not unlock when the car is stopped. They don't unlock unless you unlock them or put the transmission in park, something you would not do at a red light, stop sign, or stopped traffic.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:47 PM
911NV
Advanced

Originally Posted by trigs175
The doors do not unlock when the car is stopped. They don't unlock unless you unlock them or put the transmission in park, something you would not do at a red light, stop sign, or stopped traffic.
By stopped I mean gas stations, parking garages, toll booths, fast food drive-throughs, occasional checkpoints, pretty much most public places. Stops signs and red lights are not a concern. Stopped traffic is in issue when its so long you need to place the vehicle in park (ie 10+ minutes) which happens.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

If you have ACC, you might try it out in traffic jams. I heard they have a few in LA. 😀 It’s not just for cruising down the highway — It works in stop and go traffic too. I keep my foot close to the brake, but it really works! It keeps your set distance and brings your Cayenne to a stop without touching the brake pedal. If you’re only stopped for a few seconds, it will automatically accelerate to follow the vehicle in front of you. Brilliant!

Speaking of which, have you tried the HOLD function? The ACC uses it to keep you stopped while in stop and go traffic without touching the brake. It also automatically engages any time you come to a stop on inclines greater than 5%.

You can manually engage HOLD after the vehicle is stopped (but not in Park) by giving the brake pedal an extra push. A green HOLD icon will illuminate at the bottom of your tachometer. Then just relax and take your foot off the brake; you will remain stopped until you apply throttle.

They got the technology right on this feature.

Last edited by Schnave; 04-13-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Heegoogoo1 (04-13-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 08:40 PM
911NV
Advanced

I turned 'Auto-Lock' doors off and when I left my driveway I manually locked the doors. Picked up a buddy for a short drive. Obviously had to unlock the doors to let him in but then locked them again manually after he got in. We went for a short drive and then I dropped him off at work. Driving home, get to a intersection, looked down AND ALL THE DOORS ARE UNLOCKED.

This is insane. There is nothing convenient or safe about this unlocking policy. The car has no situational awareness. STOP UNLOCKING MY DOOR

The following 2 users liked this post by 911NV:
ArcticFox (04-29-2022), Vintage72 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 09:23 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

. . .We went for a short drive and then I dropped him off at work. Driving home, get to a intersection, looked down AND ALL THE DOORS ARE UNLOCKED. . .
The doors unlocked when your friend opened the passenger door. It seems this cannot be changed, short of hacking the software.

I adopted a habit of switching to Individual Mode after starting to disable the Auto Start-Stop. It took a while, but now it’s habit. Perhaps you could develop a similar habit of locking the doors each time any door is closed. I’m trying to be helpful . . .
Old 04-15-2022, 09:58 PM
911NV
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
The doors unlocked when your friend opened the passenger door. It seems this cannot be changed, short of hacking the software.

I adopted a habit of switching to Individual Mode after starting to disable the Auto Start-Stop. It took a while, but now it’s habit. Perhaps you could develop a similar habit of locking the doors each time any door is closed. I’m trying to be helpful . . .
I very much appreciate your help and it did help me learn some things as they say ; I used your advice to disable auto-lock and I have gone from locking my doors from 4 times/day to probably 2.

I am essentially fighting this car as far as safety is concerned. I am trying to program myself into listening for that audible clunk and using that to trigger a locking response. But sometimes you are having a conversation or listening to music or just not paying attention. Really it shouldn't be that hard.

It infuriates me a bit because I have had many Cayennes to date, always a big fan of the brand and the platform itself per se. In past models there were separate settings for lock and unlock. But now we have audi software and in this day and age where carjackings are rampant, this feature doesnt exist.

Anyone with a morbid interest of carjackings can find endless material on youtube. You are automatically a target. You have a high end SUV with probably unlocked doors.

STOP UNLOCKING MY DOORS

Old 04-15-2022, 10:54 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Check out this invention. A flamethrower to scorch carjackers! 🤪 Legal in South Africa, not sure how legal it is here. But just one flame-broiled carjacker, captured on video and played on the nightly news, would would make the bad guys think twice. This guy sold a few hundred of these in South Africa.

16 foot flames! Not just for carjackers. Mount one in back to keep those pesky tailgaters at bay. Mount one up front and use it in heavy traffic. People will get out of your way!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

Last edited by Schnave; 04-15-2022 at 11:26 PM.
othertbone (04-29-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:18 PM
911NV
Advanced

Yeah not in California. Anything which makes you safer or contributes to global warming is not legal here. You're better off being a criminal.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911NV:
Schnave (04-15-2022), sidehill (04-15-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:55 PM
911NV
Advanced

Today I discovered yet another poor design with regards to unlocking of doors. My passenger got out to go inside a store, but didn't close the door fully. ALL 4 doors unlock automatically, as was previously mentioned. I figured I'd press the lock button so at least 3 of the 4 doors are locked and I can just focus my attention on the 1 door. NOPE. If any 1 door is open, all doors unlock and YOU CANNOT LOCK ANY OF THEM until all doors are closed. What what genius came up with that idea?!
Old 04-29-2022, 09:10 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Check out this invention. A flamethrower to scorch carjackers! 🤪 Legal in South Africa, not sure how legal it is here. But just one flame-broiled carjacker, captured on video and played on the nightly news, would would make the bad guys think twice. This guy sold a few hundred of these in South Africa.

16 foot flames! Not just for carjackers. Mount one in back to keep those pesky tailgaters at bay. Mount one up front and use it in heavy traffic. People will get out of your way!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

https://youtu.be/aLhWzMOccTg

​​​​​​“When you are running down the street on fire, people will get out of your way”

--Richard Pryor
Schnave (04-29-2022)

Quick Reply: How to disable Auto-Unlocking of doors?