Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne GTS MY22 Australia Recall! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 02:44 AM
ppsa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmax
got the same official letter too, eta 2nd quarter, however it also stated both valve spring and exhaust valves need to be replaced. Whats involved in exhaust valves replacement on Porsche engine ? Is that a big issue?
regardless big or small we all have to face it and accept that waiting for the one we have ordered is the best option rather than getting a lower spec dealer demo/stock alternatives. I was thinking of to change to a Macan GTS but I would really missing the V8 sound.

The real problem is nobody knows when are we able to get the parts and how long its going to take to repair it after that.

For members who are reside in Australia and also in the same situation as to mine, Do you know if our cars has compliance plate already or not yet?

Many thanks
Old 02-10-2022, 04:23 AM
speedmax
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ppsa
regardless big or small we all have to face it and accept that waiting for the one we have ordered is the best option rather than getting a lower spec dealer demo/stock alternatives. I was thinking of to change to a Macan GTS but I would really missing the V8 sound.

The real problem is nobody knows when are we able to get the parts and how long its going to take to repair it after that.

For members who are reside in Australia and also in the same situation as to mine, Do you know if our cars has compliance plate already or not yet?

Many thanks
For me it all depends on how much compensation and how long the warranty they could extend. And how much changes the new midlife update Cayenne GTS would be, last year it was updated in April. Just done some research and looks like if spring is replaced on its own, they could getaway without taking the whole engine apart, by pressurizing the engine and use a jig to remove and replace the Valve spring, but with the exhaust valve, there's no way to do it unless the engine is opened up, which brings out another can of worms. If it takes too long and unsatisfied conditions, I might rather reject this car and order a new one in April and buy a second hand Cayenne or Macan or even AMG GLC63 and sell it next year. With the current second hand market situation, if lucky maybe not much loss as well.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:05 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

got the same official letter too, eta 2nd quarter, however it also stated both valve spring and exhaust valves need to be replaced. Whats involved in exhaust valves replacement on Porsche engine ? Is that a big issue?
You need to read up (google is your best friend) on DOHC (Dual overhead cam) engines. These exhaust valves arent the ones that sit on the muffler by the trunk, they are the ones that sit on the cylinder head that allow exhaust stroke to push combustion gases out of the engine. The exhaust valves are even more challenging to replace than the springs as they will require the top of the engine to be disassembled. V shape engine consist of 3 main components. The bottom end that contains the cylinders, then two top ends, left/right, where the cams and 4 valves per cylinder sit. The only way to remove the 2 exhaust valves per cylinder (thats 8 per side, 16 total) is to remove the top of the block completely and slide the valves out.

I would not touch a car that has had its exhaust valves replaced without a 10 year/100,000 mile extended warranty. Its impossible for nothing to go wrong due to this work. Its a matter of when.

There is a certain level of skill required when it comes to assembling engines. The skill is gained after years of working on assembling them. No matter how good a mechanic is, he can never have the experience of an engine builder who builds a dozen engines per week. From the way you use assembly lube and what amount to use where to how to tighten the studs and what sealant to apply and how much, every little detail matters. Engine builders go through rigorous training. Its like being a chef after attending a cooking school vs working at a restaurant to help the chef and attempting to cook a meal yourself. You miss one crucial step and you'll be dealing with a leaking cylinder head and the problem is that these issues will show up at 30,000, 40,000, 50,000 miles later. An engine that is built properly vs one that was put together in a service department wont immediately run different. You'll have more oil consumption that will creep up with time and will wary with climate, you'll have cylinder wall scoring that you wont know until its too late, you'll have rattles coming from the turbo waste gates because they weren't put back together. You'll hear noises but you wont know where they are coming from and no one will be able to assess it properly.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 02-10-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:11 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 735 Likes on 508 Posts

Whats involved in exhaust valves replacement on Porsche engine ? Is that a big issue?
Valve springs could be replaced with the cylinder heads in place. Exhaust valves mean the cylinder heads will need to come off.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:57 PM
ppsa
Track Day

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You need to read up (google is your best friend) on DOHC (Dual overhead cam) engines. These exhaust valves arent the ones that sit on the muffler by the trunk, they are the ones that sit on the cylinder head that allow exhaust stroke to push combustion gases out of the engine. The exhaust valves are even more challenging to replace than the springs as they will require the top of the engine to be disassembled. V shape engine consist of 3 main components. The bottom end that contains the cylinders, then two top ends, left/right, where the cams and 4 valves per cylinder sit. The only way to remove the 2 exhaust valves per cylinder (thats 8 per side, 16 total) is to remove the top of the block completely and slide the valves out.

I would not touch a car that has had its exhaust valves replaced without a 10 year/100,000 mile extended warranty. Its impossible for nothing to go wrong due to this work. Its a matter of when.

There is a certain level of skill required when it comes to assembling engines. The skill is gained after years of working on assembling them. No matter how good a mechanic is, he can never have the experience of an engine builder who builds a dozen engines per week. From the way you use assembly lube and what amount to use where to how to tighten the studs and what sealant to apply and how much, every little detail matters. Engine builders go through rigorous training. Its like being a chef after attending a cooking school vs working at a restaurant to help the chef and attempting to cook a meal yourself. You miss one crucial step and you'll be dealing with a leaking cylinder head and the problem is that these issues will show up at 30,000, 40,000, 50,000 miles later. An engine that is built properly vs one that was put together in a service department wont immediately run different. You'll have more oil consumption that will creep up with time and will wary with climate, you'll have cylinder wall scoring that you wont know until its too late, you'll have rattles coming from the turbo waste gates because they weren't put back together. You'll hear noises but you wont know where they are coming from and no one will be able to assess it properly.
So sounds like you are going to reject this car and get an refund on your deposit?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:10 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

So sounds like you are going to reject this car and get an refund on your deposit?
So far fingers crossed. If my car is impacted, I'll press them for a 10 year/100,000 mile engine warranty.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:23 PM
ppsa
Track Day

So far fingers crossed. If my car is impacted, I'll press them for a 10 year/100,000 mile engine warranty.
Fair enough. I guess i will do the same. Thanks
Old 02-10-2022, 10:48 PM
speedmax
Track Day

Thank you 3-Pedals for the detailed explanation yes went on google and YouTube and now understood much more on what's involved. Such a pity this amazing car got this issue, and honestly speaking I'm actually very satisfied with my dealer so far and they've kept me in the loop without hiding much information. So yes, I will press them/Porsche Australia for at least 10 years/100k engine warranty in addition as well.

Hope Porsche Australia is reading this forum too, I think what they should do is instead of leaving it to each dealer to perform this task, they should have a centralised location to perform such job, maybe more feasible one central workshop per state, do the repair by the same team with professional engine assembly members from Porsche Germany to assist them, rather than leaving it to each dealer's repair shop to deal with it. Knowledge and skill gained on the earlier jobs can passed down on the rest. And if can't be done nationwide in one location, this same team should travel to each state and do it. It would be much efficient and effective to perform such complicated task.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:37 PM
ppsa
Track Day

Any updates?
Old 03-18-2022, 09:05 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 Panamera Turbo S with Valve Spring Recall

Some more info to add to the valve spring recall...
Acquired the car in December 2021 from the showroom floor but was told there was a stop sale by Porsche and it could not be delivered. I was told it should be remedied in January.
Vehicle: 2022 Panamera Turbo S
Built: 9/21

The recall was placed on CARFAX 11/29/2021, Program #WMP6 Replace Valve Springs. The description says, "On the affected vehicles, the valve springs may have been manufactured out of specification. To help prevent potential valve spring breakage, the intake and exhaust valve springs must be replaced."

The car was first placed for sale October 12, 2021, probably as an incoming vehicle; showing again for sale November 20, which was probably when the dealer had the car ready to go. The car could have been delivered prior to the recall and stop sale, but that did not occur. The dealer indicated there was a Cayenne that had been delivered prior to the recall.

I was first told Porsche Corporate had not fully decided what the fix would be, that is, inspect, repair/replace, or release the car. Mid-February I was told the decision was made to replace the valve springs. A few weeks ago I was told the remediation would be completed by the end of March; however, there has been no movement and March is half-over.

Information has been difficult to obtain from PCNA. The dealer is doing what they can to extract the info from PCNA.

The VIN shows no recalls, but that is probably because the car has not been released and is on a stop sale. Had it been delivered, I would assume the recall would show up.
I was originally told the recall affected certain VINs of the Turbo S V8s in the Panamera and Cayenne.

Ironically, I cancelled an order with another dealer placed last September because we couldn't get an allocation, so I opted to cancel that order and take the one I found at the dealer, which happened to be local.
These are the facts as I know them; any more facts floating around out there?
Old 03-19-2022, 04:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Very sorry to hear this.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:12 PM
thebestoil
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's another recall on the car issued 10/12/21, Program #WMG1 Retrofitting SmartPhone Compartment with wireless charging. This is apparently due to the semiconductor shortage, but not holding back the delivery (only the valve spring issue). No timeline for this retrofit.

Last info is the dealership was waiting on a "special tool." I cannot determine if the other parts are available. I'm going to dig down with the service guys. I need to determine how invasive this repair is.

There has been some high level comments about compensation, but have no idea how comprehensive or generous that will be.

Wanted to share some facts in case there are others in the same predicament. I think there are only a handful of Turbo S Panameras around the country, some showing "incoming" vs. some on hand, but no mention online about any recall issues or stop sale. Perhaps some Cayennes, My car had been shown online but no indication of a stop sale. I was told I could have the car but they couldn't deliver it...I said," Whaaaat?"
Old 03-27-2022, 04:25 AM
speedmax
Track Day

Any updates?
No updates, no response from dealer too. I'm now worried the car may be left exposed under the sun for too long.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:16 PM
joinauto
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

No updates from my dealer either. Will move on to other options.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:36 AM
ppsa
Track Day

we should make a list to see who's car has been affected and waiting for a solution.

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS MY22 Australia Recall! What to do?