Sponsored By:

'21 Turbo has arrived :) Replacing '19 base

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts
Default '21 Turbo has arrived :) Replacing '19 base

Pretty excited for this one. I've had my '19 base since November 2019, and aside from 3 key gripes I love the current gen Cayenne as my do-it-all daily. Spacious, reliable (started after 4 months away), 0 issues, and love the looks inside and out as subtle but luxurious and embedded with Porsche DNA

My 3 key gripes I've posted about before with the base:

1) The turbo V6 is not responsive enough, with a lot of lag when you ask for real power to overtake or accelerate quickly. Once you have the turbo kicking in, it's perfectly fast as a daily around town or road trip car

2) I don't have a lot of confidence in the base brakes when you have a sudden need to decelerate at speed, like cars in front of you waiting to brake until the last minute on a redlight. They are fine, but I feel like I really have to press/shove on the brake pedal to get her to slow down quickly like I want her to when speed is >40 mph. Also, there is a well reported issue on the base brakes graunching and making noises at low speeds when applying light pressure to the brake pedal and coming to a stop, although I feel like this issue has dissipated for me as the car got more mileage (11k now)

3) The standard suspension is too stiff for a luxury SUV like this, or should I say non-performance SUV like this. I don't have PASM or air suspension on this one, and IMO you feel it. On smooth surfaces it's fine, but on bumps and crap roads I wasn't thrilled with the ride quality. Having the 21 Spyder wheels likely didn't help in that regard

So to remedy those 3 gripes, I took my dealers lone Turbo allocation back in February, specced this one as a replacement to my '19 base, and kinda forgot about it. Somewhere between then and now I thought I wanted a Taycan Cross Turismo instead, and switched to that allocation briefly, but realized I'm too lazy and not interested enough in EVs yet to put up with any growing pains, for the charging situations, and for any sort of potential range anxiety. Also wanted more interior/cargo space especially as this is my only car other than my weekend toy to haul things or when driving with friends and family

Went for more of a luxury, low key spec, trying to keep the build light. Picking her up in 2 days and driving her from Fresno to LA

PS My dealer told me I must have one of the last new Cayennes with the power steering wheel adjustment **** Maybe I can get PCNA to send me some sort of certificate or plaque

Old 07-27-2021, 12:44 AM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Looks great! First impressions?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:17 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Looks fantastic! Curious how the ride is different on new one with air suspension? I have one on order with 21 spyder wheels and air suspension and was wondering if I should do 20 wheels for more comfort. Do you find the 21s on the new one comfy with air on bumpy roads?
Old 07-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Fattony001
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice truck. The Turbo is awesome! You’ll love it.
I was wondering. Why soo many new orders do not take ACC option?
What your thought on that?
i mean. Its a 200k truck (in canada) with no intelligent cruise control.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

yeah I’m confused by that also - I hope to never own another car with out ACC or equivalent - it seems a great feature to me and I love it - it’s actually ridiculous that it’s even an option IMHO.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:29 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by armanslr
Looks great! First impressions?
Originally Posted by mattsrs
Looks fantastic! Curious how the ride is different on new one with air suspension? I have one on order with 21 spyder wheels and air suspension and was wondering if I should do 20 wheels for more comfort. Do you find the 21s on the new one comfy with air on bumpy roads?
Will report back in a couple days, but between 21s and standard suspension and 21s with PASM and air suspension I would have to guess that it will be much better. Very subjective but I really like how the 21s fill out the wheel arches and look, having them on both Cayennes now

Originally Posted by Fattony001
Very nice truck. The Turbo is awesome! You’ll love it.
I was wondering. Why soo many new orders do not take ACC option?
What your thought on that?
i mean. Its a 200k truck (in canada) with no intelligent cruise control.
Thanks man appreciate it. No ACC for me because 1) if I'm not mistaken it adds the bulbous head to the front grill which I don't like, Ferrari has started to do this too and also not a fan of that implementation. 2) I rarely even use the standard cruise control, there's usually never enough open road in LA to even activate it. On a road trip I'll use the cruise control and that's enough for me, I don't know if I trust Porsche's systems enough to let the car do the driving
Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

ACC works great in stop and go traffic which is my main use case for it - it just creeps along with traffic and I don’t have to worry about the car in front of me as much
The following users liked this post:
Fattony001 (08-02-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:38 PM
rj2014
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
ACC works great in stop and go traffic which is my main use case for it - it just creeps along with traffic and I don’t have to worry about the car in front of me as much
Ditto! The biggest ACC use case for me is during stop and go traffic. Saves you a ton of stress. It is also a very very useful feature during road trips.
Fattony001 (08-02-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:40 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Makes sense, my cousin's Tesla Model 3 autopilot is nice for LA when we're driving around. But I just don't trust Porsche or LA drivers enough to not be driving the car myself with my foot on the pedals and hand on the wheel. It's not the car in front of me that worries me. It's the LA driver to the left or right of me in an adjacent lane that decides at the last second they want to cut me off and force themselves into my lane, whether there is space or not. And that happens daily more times than I can count!

In any case too late now
Old 07-27-2021, 02:01 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like a nice basic build! I’d love to have one of those.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice car. Some may post that you should have added this or that, or must have this or that. It’s your baby. Don’t let that stuff get to you. Its a GREAT car.
enjoy it thoroughly!!!
Old 07-30-2021, 09:25 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Will report back in a couple days, but between 21s and standard suspension and 21s with PASM and air suspension I would have to guess that it will be much better. Very subjective but I really like how the 21s fill out the wheel arches and look, having them on both Cayennes now

Thanks man appreciate it. No ACC for me because 1) if I'm not mistaken it adds the bulbous head to the front grill which I don't like, Ferrari has started to do this too and also not a fan of that implementation. 2) I rarely even use the standard cruise control, there's usually never enough open road in LA to even activate it. On a road trip I'll use the cruise control and that's enough for me, I don't know if I trust Porsche's systems enough to let the car do the driving
Been few days, how comfortable are the 21s+ air suspension?
Old 07-31-2021, 11:52 AM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
Been few days, how comfortable are the 21s+ air suspension?
I've got 21s and AS on my '20 Turbo and it is quite comfortable. Even when you put the suspension in Sport Plus, I find the car quite soft and compliant over bad roads. Leave it in comfort and imho, it's a luxury truck. I would get 21s or 22s and not look back!
mattsrs (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

"last new Cayennes with the power steering wheel adjustment ****" I've owned 3 Cayennes including my current 2020 Turbo and I have no clue what a "power steering wheel adjustment ****" is???????
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

this the electronic movement adjustemnt - up/down & in/out - due to the chip shortage Porsche is shipping/delivering vehicles with the control-chip/harness ‘absent’ - so the steering column can only be physically adjusted by the dealer - dealership/service will install the chip/harness control mechanism at some point the the future when parts availability returns - until the chip/harness is installed the steering column (up/down, in/out) is “fixed” with no easy adjustment.

Quick Reply: '21 Turbo has arrived :) Replacing '19 base