'21 Turbo has arrived :) Replacing '19 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 11:09 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

EDIT: Sorry daveo4porsche, I was composing reply while you posted. 😃

Originally Posted by Cay911
"last new Cayennes with the power steering wheel adjustment ****" I've owned 3 Cayennes including my current 2020 Turbo and I have no clue what a "power steering wheel adjustment ****" is???????
I think he’s referencing the chip shortage and the fact that Cayennes are being delivered without the Steering Column Control Module. His is one of the last ones manufactured before Porsche ran out of modules.

Read all about it in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-shortage.html

Last edited by Schnave; 08-01-2021 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:42 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Whoa, that's quite a jump from a base to a Turbo! Gorgeous rig - drive it in the best of health!.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:50 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Thanks guys - been busy since taking delivery a week or so ago

The Turbo is amazing as expected, it's everything I wanted and fully addressed my issues with the base. This is the ultimate daily for me, drove 4 hours from Fresno into LA traffic with no ACC and glad to report made it back just fine

The power delivery is interesting, it actually feels a bit less snappy than the base V6 turbo when that turbo kicks on. You feel like you progressively build momentum and fast in the V8 TT, vs the off/on switch for the V6

Suspension with the 21s, AS and PASM is head and shoulders above the 21s on base suspension. Night and day. It's the biggest difference between the two Cayennes for me. The base suspension would jolt the cabin, you'd feel a lot more of the road. Turbo's setup glides over most things, even in sport mode for the chassis

Best part for me is to have the wood steering wheel, and full leather. Those really class up the joint, and personally I missed the feel of wood or CF on the steering wheel since everyone seems to be going leather only these days

Last edited by sampelligrino; 08-06-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:14 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Thanks guys - been busy since taking delivery a week or so ago

The Turbo is amazing as expected, it's everything I wanted and fully addressed my issues with the base. This is the ultimate daily for me, drove 4 hours from Fresno into LA traffic with no ACC and glad to report made it back just fine

The power delivery is interesting, it actually feels a bit less snappy than the base V6 turbo when that turbo kicks on. You feel like you progressively build momentum and fast in the V8 TT, vs the off/on switch for the V6

Suspension with the 21s, AS and PASM is head and shoulders above the 21s on base suspension. Night and day. It's the biggest difference between the two Cayennes for me. The base suspension would jolt the cabin, you'd feel a lot more of the road. Turbo's setup glides over most things, even in sport mode for the chassis

Best part for me is to have the wood steering wheel, and full leather. Those really class up the joint, and personally I missed the feel of wood or CF on the steering wheel since everyone seems to be going leather only these days
I find the base Cayenne V6 very laggy off the line and I avoided that model. I thought the S was much more responsive and likes to rev more than the V8. My GTS has a very small amount of lag in comfort mode, especially if you don't come to a full stop, in which case it starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st. The V8 relies on the low end torque to move the vehicle, mostly at low revs. The V6 moves you by revving higher. Putting the V8 models in Sport mode removes the mildly laggy behaviour and is a more engaging drive.

I find the V8 in the GTS has more power than I need and it doesn't really deliver it in the way I'm used to, say as compared to a BMW inline 6, which also likes to rev and is silky smooth. But it is a monster of an engine and you don't realize how quick the GTS or Turbo is until you look at the traffic in the rear view mirror fading away in the distance.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:32 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I find the base Cayenne V6 very laggy off the line and I avoided that model. I thought the S was much more responsive and likes to rev more than the V8. My GTS has a very small amount of lag in comfort mode, especially if you don't come to a full stop, in which case it starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st. The V8 relies on the low end torque to move the vehicle, mostly at low revs. The V6 moves you by revving higher. Putting the V8 models in Sport mode removes the mildly laggy behaviour and is a more engaging drive.

I find the V8 in the GTS has more power than I need and it doesn't really deliver it in the way I'm used to, say as compared to a BMW inline 6, which also likes to rev and is silky smooth. But it is a monster of an engine and you don't realize how quick the GTS or Turbo is until you look at the traffic in the rear view mirror fading away in the distance.
In a weird way I just grew accustom to the off/on nature of the base V6 where you're getting nothing...nothing...then a pretty fast shove with higher revs

I agree, your experience mirrors mine. The V8 TT will build momentum fast, and at lower revs like you said, so it's a more calm relaxed event because by the time anything gets exciting you're close to the speed limit. I'm perfectly fine with that Sport mode mapping definitely makes the driving experience more engaging. I'll have to remember to switch her into that from time to time, and remember this is a very capable grocery getter!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:22 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
.. and remember this is a very capable grocery getter!
I find if I step on the gas pedal for more than a few seconds, I blast right past the grocery store.

Quick Reply: '21 Turbo has arrived :) Replacing '19 base