Sponsored By:

14 Way Comfort vs 18 Way Sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:56 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default 14 Way Comfort vs 18 Way Sport seats

Sorry if this has been done, I tried the search function and didn't see anything that seemed to match. I am considering the 18 way seats, would get the 14 way seats as a default with the club leather. Has anyone had time with both types of seats to compare them? I prefer the looks of the 18 way, and am used to BMW M Sport seats, but worried about 2 things, the fixed headrest (did not like this on my Audi S6) and the rear seat room for a harness booster car seat. Any help or advice is appreciated
Old 02-09-2020, 06:54 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

My wife has the Panamera, and I got plenty of time in her 18-way seats, and they are nice. However. It is absolutely unacceptable to have such a great seat with a FIXED headrest to where it provides NO option to move it forward, or backwards. After a long drive, I found the seat, or headrest in this case, unsupportive and poorly thought-out.

So. When I placed my order for a custom Cayenne Twin Turbo (In pics below), the 18-way are included as you may know, I punted, and instead selected the 14-way seats with the adjustable headrest. And let me tell you, I would have paid extra to have the seats in my CTT over the 18-way my wife has. And yes, I took a hit of some $1,500 for the downgrade (not taking the Upgrade), but they are Better seats. Period. I LOVE the adjustable headrests, and use them often on long and even short drives depending upon how reclined I am driving. I am stunned the Sport Seat, 18-way, are fixed. Makes absolutely no sense.

Up at the dealer last week to have my car software updated and rug repaired, I asked about this very topic, and they said; "More and more people are selecting the 14-way seats for the adjustable headrest, as the seats are just as comfortable to most drivers." In fact, I think, even removing the adjustable headrest, the 14 way are more comfortable.

Loving the 14-way, and so is my wife. No regrets. Buy that which is most comfortable to you, not what is included or is cheaper.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 02-09-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:15 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

While certainly not scientific, as I can't put this on my CNC and find zero, you can see from this rudimentary demonstration there is material movement in the headrest, and I LOVE it; UP, DOWN, IN and OUT.

Headrest in "Normal Position". Note: "Base" from which the headrest protrudes from.

Headrest in "Full-Extension" (Caveman, or osteoporosis position) demonstrates how both the "Base" and the Headrest move forward simultaneously.

In "Normal Position", it measures 6 inches. However, when the Headrest is extended to its maximum distance, the ruler ("Base") moves almost an inch forward with the Headrest.

As pointed out in pic 1 and 2, the "Base" extrudes as does the Headrest providing, in my estimation, more than 2 total inches of movement, front to back.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 02-09-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Einstein at work.
The following users liked this post:
TXSchnee (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 07:19 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Every time I order a Porsche, this question has always been an issue. Previously, I've gone with the 14 way and been very happy with it -- no doubt the 14 way is very good. The issue that I've heard in the past with the 18 way is that it's more difficult to get in and out of the vehicle versus the 14 way. But I've heard the 18 way has been redesigned in the Cayenne, with the side bolsters being less pronounced. I've got a Turbo on order (production this week), and went for the 18 way for several reasons. I've never adjusted the headrests in the past, so that's not an issue to me. The seats with the fixed headrest looks very cool with the Turbo imprint. And now that I think about it, my 14 way seats in my 991.2 Turbo has fixed headrests. With 18 way -- with 4 more adjustments than the 14 way, my take is that it would work just fine for me. Keep in mind that the 18 way is the default in the Turbo, extra cost in the base and S. I test drove the 18 way in a Turbo and it seemed fine to me. Basically, since I don't have the Turbo yet, my opinions are just my thought process in going with the 18 way -- because it's "free," looks cool, and I've found no need to mess with adjustable headrests. BTW, I went with the club leather Truffle -- really excited about it. Good luck on your decision.

BTW, my Porsche Ambassador (sales guy) advised me to go with the 18 way, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I would agree in that the 18-way look better, IMO. I have driven my wife's car, with the 18 way etc for 500 miles on a trip--my neck hurt from not being able to move the headrest. Once you have the headrests, and they are moveable, it's tough to go back. Further, I did "hear" the bolster is not as high in the CTT, but when I got in and out of the two different seats, I NOTICED the height, and didn't care for the extra grab on my thigh or ***. That said, being higher up, you will certainly feel the additional bolster height, and eventually I felt it would show more wear. I stand by my original comments though: "Buy what is most comfortable to you". And that, my man, will make you happy.

BTW: I have had the CTT for six months now, and I would buy the 14-way again. I plan on getting a 992 at some point to complement the CTT, and I will have no option then.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 PM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I hated the ugly boxes on the back of the 14 way seats. And they push your head forward unnaturally.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:16 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

It is "adjustable"; either forward or back. Sports Seat is NOT adjustable; forward only.

Further; the 14-way is the MOST elected seat option of all seats. It really is personal taste.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:33 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

SilverSteel and I are pretty much Brothers from Another Mother. But I and my wife disagree with him 100 percent on this issue.

We went back and forth before locking our CTT with the 18-way Sport Seats, sight unseen. Our SA and his female manager both told us, “We don’t recommend them.” She was particularly adamant. She said it was tough as a woman in skirts and tight jeans to navigate the high bolsters in the 958. But we preferred the look of them so much over the weird forward-leaning detached headrest that we took a chance, after reading that Porsche had listened to complaints from Fat American customers and loosened the bolster design.

Fast forward 13 months after delivery.

Aside from PCCB and Club Leather, they’re our single favorite option. They’re form-fitting without being uncomfortable. My wife has a terrible commute into Dallas that sometimes takes upward of TWO HOURS. She arrives comfortable and as ready to work as anybody can be in that situation. They’re enormously well-designed. As a bonus, they look incredible, making the 14-way jobs look like a cheap afterthought. Had a buddy of mine, an assistant police chief at a local agency who bought his wife an SQ5, in for a ride a few weeks ago. He, like most everybody else, raved about the look and feel of the seats. He sat in the back at one point and kept going on about the coolness of the one-piece shell design.

SS’s comments are valid and real. I just disagree with them. He’s a big guy, so the headrest issue could be a issue. I am 6’ and 175 pounds. My wife is 5’4” with child-bearing hips. They work for us. (And the hips work for me.)

My advice is to get what you want, period.

Edit: Pics below are for informational purposes only. You may hate ‘em. You may love ‘em. You may be ambivalent toward ‘em. But there they are.

Last edited by JCWLS3; 02-09-2020 at 11:04 PM.
TXSchnee (02-10-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Gravistar
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by Gravistar; 02-24-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to say...
TXSchnee (02-13-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Get the 18-ways if you don't want minivan-looking seats in your Porsche.
philg3 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravistar
In many seat positions the 18-ways squeak, just like my old 911 18-ways...
Great post and very helpful from a guy who's had both seats. I can't disagree with any of it, except for the statement above. As in, our 18-way seats do not squeak in any position. Never have. Quiet and solidly built, just like the rest of the car. So either you've got defective seats, or something else is going on. Maybe the leather choice?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravistar
I’ve recently had both types in two new Cayenne coupe e-hybrids.

The 14-way were lovely and comfortable, sturdy, easy to get in and out of and felt naturally the right seat for this car. The headrests adjustment was very nice although it never feels right to me to actually rest properly on them as your head jigs about on even the most smooth of road surface. I did notice the lack of cornering support in the twisties and the wife would especially move about and feel uncomfortable about my driving so I would slow down and be more sedate....but overall the comfy choice.

The 18-ways were spec’ed in our second one because they looked more ‘porsche’...no small thing when you’re paying this much. They are also very comfortable, slightly stiffer and more supportive, not just the bolsters etc, but the back too...the design is less squishy on the spine and helps a lot on long trips. The seat booster is definitely there when you get in and out but after a few days you adjust your technique and I don’t notice it now. The headrest is not adjustable but is just at the right position when you tilt your head back slightly, without forcing contact. The 14-ways seems great when you first get in and adjust them to the back of your head but I soon moved them back.

So sounds like I’m an 18-way fanboy....but here’s the rub. In many seat positions the 18-ways squeak, just like my old 911 18-ways. The 14’s don’t. It maybe the clamshell design with leather or whatever but they definitely squeak with either my wife and I in the driving or passenger seat. We’ve adjusted the seats and finally found combinations that minimises it and with music on who cares but it’s there.

Conclusion is I’d be torn which ones to order for Cayenne 3. The 18 ways are far more usable for ‘Porsche’ driving with no more complaints from the wife about my cornering, look better/cooler and put less stress on your body on a long drive, but the 14-ways are hands down better built and the choice if you’re pushing retirement...but would you have bought a Porsche? So the 18-ways have it but only just.

Also, forgot to mention the under thigh seat extending piece on the 18-ways is awesome, highly recommend for long or short legs alike 😇
Thank you for this! Pretty sure I am going to amend my order for the 18 Way seats, as they seem to be closest to what I am used to coming from BMW and I do prefer the look of them. My main concern is fitting my 4 year olds booster seat in the back, but I should be able to find a different one (booster seat) if need be.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 AM
Gravistar
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by Gravistar; 02-24-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:23 AM
integrale
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

At the risk of showing my age- I always thought that head "rests" were really meant to be restraints, to protect from snapping backwards in heavy rear impact, so I didn't have any expectation that they would be a comfy place to lean on (especially if on sports seats theoretically designed to accommodate a helmet)...but now I study the comfort seat rest photos above, they do seem to be tailored for comfort. However, maybe my spine profile is unusual (and I wouldn't rule that out ), because I can't imagine wanting to rest my head when I'm driving, unless it was up a very steep long hill. Anyway, I have the comfort seats so will experiment...and it does like they could at least make the front passenger more comfy.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:29 AM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone comment on the OP’s other question about any issues with a booster or baby seat in the back with the 18-ways? The sport seat option also adds more bolster to the rear seats and I want to make sure between that and the rear shell of the front seat that we’re not giving up any room back there for our 2 little boys. My wife’s hybrid order locks in a couple weeks and 14 vs 18 is where we’re stuck. It’s clear most cars are ordered with 14’s and we’ve had an impossible time finding 18’s for my wife to sit in. How close are Panamera GTS sport seats to the Cayenne’s 18-way? She’s 5’8 and 110 lbs so I think the 18’s would actually hug her better but she’s concerned about getting in/out with the higher bolster as her only other experience are the more aggressive buckets in my GT3’s which she hates lol. I’m pushing for 18’s as they look way cooler and we’ve never adjusted a headrest...like ever. The only other downside to the sport seat is you can’t add a tablet mount for the kids since there’s nothing to attach the bracket to without having an actual headrest.

Quick Reply: 14 Way Comfort vs 18 Way Sport seats