Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019-247/)
-   -   Help deciding between S and GTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1256597-help-deciding-between-s-and-gts.html)

rj2014 06-19-2021 01:58 PM

Help deciding between S and GTS

Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.

dasams 06-19-2021 02:19 PM

At that price difference, the GTS is a no brainer IMO. You'll get the adjustable air suspension that is marvelous and is not harsh when damping is on regular. You should test drive a turbo to get a feel for the air suspension. The GTS comes sport exhaust and full leather is a no cost option if you delete the Race Tex (as I've done).

icemang 06-19-2021 02:20 PM

Have you watched these? It's just their opinions but they do have opinions.

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:39 PM

Thanks for the response. Is the turbo similar in suspension setup to the GTS?

NelsonLee 06-19-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17501989)
Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.

Couple of thoughts;
If the cost difference isn’t an issue, go for the GTS. It sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into one 😅
If cost and comfort is an issue, I would stick with the S.
If left on normal setting, ride comfort is good (but obviously subjective)

that all being said, you should reach out to your local dealer to see if they can even allocate or build a GTS.

I just spoke with my SA because a friend of mine wanted to get a GTS and he said all the allocations are spoken for. And there was no news if there was a 2022 GTS yet.

drcollie 06-19-2021 02:40 PM

I have a 2021 GTS, my wife a '20 Macan S (came out of an SQ5 like you), and my BIL has a '21 Cayenne S. So, good reference points. The Macan is MUCH closer to your SQ5 btw, the Cayenne is larger and more luxurious. The GTS will always have superior resale value and is unabashedly louder and sportier than an S. It does not ride harsh, not in the least. I consider mine to be a luxury vehicle that is very fast. By BIL drove my GTS and said "these were not out when I bought mine or I'd have got one of these instead".

I was able to get a $ 14K discount on my GTS in early March, the market may have changed since then.

What you will notice primarily with the GTS. 1) It's never quiet, the exhaust RUMBLES. My wife is convinced I put an aftermarket exhaust on it 2) Gas mileage is a bit dismal. 3) Oh, that V8 !

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by icemang (Post 17502022)
Have you watched these? It's just their opinions but they do have opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGr3Pk6K_l4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYflh0Dm3nc

Love Savagegeese reviews. I did watch these video but was still left cofused as they did not address the cost issue when the S is optioned up by $35-40k. From a depreciation standpoint, a $140k GTS is going to hold up much better than a $130k S is what I feel like. But if I get something that rides really harsh, I am never going to hear the end of it from my wife :banghead:.

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by NelsonLee (Post 17502052)
Couple of thoughts;
If the cost difference isn’t an issue, go for the GTS. It sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into one 😅
If cost and comfort is an issue, I would stick with the S.
If left on normal setting, ride comfort is good (but obviously subjective)

that all being said, you should reach out to your local dealer to see if they can even allocate or build a GTS.

I just spoke with my SA because a friend of mine wanted to get a GTS and he said all the allocations are spoken for. And there was no news if there was a 2022 GTS yet.

So from what I gathered, new allocations should open up in July-August with an end of the year delivery and I am ok with that wait. My main issue is not the cost but the comfort haha!

rj2014 06-19-2021 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 17502055)
I have a 2021 GTS, my wife a '20 Macan S (came out of an SQ5 like you), and my BIL has a '21 Cayenne S. So, good reference points. The Macan is MUCH closer to your SQ5 btw, the Cayenne is larger and more luxurious. The GTS will always have superior resale value and is unabashedly louder and sportier than an S. It does not ride harsh, not in the least. I consider mine to be a luxury vehicle that is very fast. By BIL drove my GTS and said "these were not out when I bought mine or I'd have got one of these instead".

I was able to get a $ 14K discount on my GTS in early March, the market may have changed since then.

What you will notice primarily with the GTS. 1) It's never quiet, the exhaust RUMBLES. My wife is convinced I put an aftermarket exhaust on it 2) Gas mileage is a bit dismal. 3) Oh, that V8 !

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I have the air suspension on my SQ5 and although it handles corners decently, its a little too soft for me although it makes for a great highway cruiser. I felt like the air suspension was setup much better in the Cayenne S. The way I see it, we only have a few more years to enjoy the gasoline engines, so I might as well get what I want but at the same time I do need to take my wife's preferences into consideration. As they say, "happy wife, happy life". I will need to test drive a GTS but you are definitely making me feel the FOMO :D

Regarding the discount, were you able to get it on a new build or did you pick one up from the dealer lot?

CanuckGT4 06-19-2021 03:20 PM

GTS all the way. The V8 is so much better than the V6, no question about it. Plus the exhaust sound is insane in the GTS. It rides very well, you won't have any issues, Porsche performs magic with their suspension setups that Audi can't touch.
I currently have a Panamera 4S ST with the V6 engine and the throttle response in the Cayenne GTS is so much better. The V6 is very slow to respond under 4-5k. Even though it puts out similar power, the way it delivers it is simply inferior imho.

Ericson38 06-19-2021 03:41 PM

Does the rear wheel steering run on a separate 48V actuator and battery ? I did read up on how it works, No ball joints, just bushing flex in the normal swing arm bushings.

Schnave 06-19-2021 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ericson38 (Post 17502155)
Does the rear wheel steering run on a separate 48V actuator and battery ? I did read up on how it works, No ball joints, just bushing flex in the normal swing arm bushings.

Good question. Porsche states that the PDCC is 48v and has a separate 48v battery on PDCC equipped vehicles. Porsche installs the 48v battery only on PDCC equipped vehicles.

They do not specifically say how the RWS motor is powered. Dasams states that the RWS also uses 48 volts. Lending credence to his statement, I found a picture of the RWS that shows it powered by the telltale orange high voltage cables (over 30 volts).

Originally Posted by dasams (Post 17484021)
Indeed an interesting find. BTW, the rear axle steering actuators also use 48V but I have seen no info that suggests there's a 48V battery. More likely they use an inverter to convert 12V to 48V.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d7afe041d.jpeg

George from MD 06-19-2021 05:18 PM

Bethesda Porsche has a couple of GTS's in stock and they are discounting a lot more than 4%. Ask for Sam.

Fahrfun 06-19-2021 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by George from MD (Post 17502289)
Bethesda Porsche has a couple of GTS's in stock and they are discounting a lot more than 4%. Ask for Sam.

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17502085)
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I have the air suspension on my SQ5 and although it handles corners decently, its a little too soft for me although it makes for a great highway cruiser. I felt like the air suspension was setup much better in the Cayenne S. The way I see it, we only have a few more years to enjoy the gasoline engines, so I might as well get what I want but at the same time I do need to take my wife's preferences into consideration. As they say, "happy wife, happy life". I will need to test drive a GTS but you are definitely making me feel the FOMO :D

Regarding the discount, were you able to get it on a new build or did you pick one up from the dealer lot?

To the OP, my best advice is to try your best and find a gts to test ride with your wife. It seems to be the only unknown preventing you from being 100% sure. I would make a trip to the other poster’s reference location quoted above, if it’s the only option for a hands on experience. Although not at all comparable at all (intended double emphasis here), one of my colleagues recently bought a Macan gts for his wife because he wanted the engine for the two times a year she was going to let his hands on it. She would have been happy with the S. A week later he called me to say they drove up the central coast and after the trip the wife told him she no longer wants to go on road trips with it due to the ride. So now it’s her 90k grocery getter. Seriously, unless you have so much wealth that you just don’t care, I would make a couples trip if necessary, even to a Porsche day at one of their centers, before settling on a long term acquisition of that dollar value. The only caveat here is due to exceptional current circumstances, if you were to get one right now from a lot and not like it a week later, it might be a small hit to return it for exchange. But that all depends how low you get in and who you deal with. Just IMHO. I’m hoping she’ll fall in love with it too though!

dasams 06-19-2021 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17502051)
Thanks for the response. Is the turbo similar in suspension setup to the GTS?

The GTS sits 10 mm lower than Turbos or S's or Base models with air suspension. I don't how they they are set up as the valving could be different. If you can find a demo with air suspension, it's worth a drive regardless of whether it is a Turbo, S or Base.

I had air suspension in my 2006 CS and liked it a lot.

Laki021 06-19-2021 06:51 PM

Hello folks,

There’s another possibility, get a GTS without PDCC and RWS. It will cost you almost the same as Cayenne S but you will undoubtedly get a better car (lower and stiffer, better handling).

You should try cars with and without those systems and decide. Many people do not like RWS due to the unnatural feeling of rear end sliding away while cornering. I have it on my current car and tested in on Cayenne GTS, don’t want it. The benefits are minimal, reducing turning radius from 12 to 11.5 meters, that’s hardly even noticeable. Personally I find all those stories about increased maneuverability while parking a total BS, marketing and simply people justifying their decision.
Interesting, BMW does not offer RWS with any of their M models, they claim (rightfully) that it adds weight and compromises driving feeling.

PDCC, take a look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-opinion.html

Again a very questionable choice for a GTS. I was thinking to order it, but even my SA advised me against.

Finally, I would expect that those two systems add about 200lbs of extra weight (just PDCC adds two actuators, 48V battery, control unit), not sure you really want that extra weight, you will even hurt your car’s straight line performance.

PorscheACC 06-19-2021 07:43 PM

Hello folks,

I have a 2019 Cayenne S with air, RAS, etc.

The Cayenne S V6 is a great vehicke and has a great engine, It even get upto 25/26 mpg on long trips here in Texas.

But if you really want a good torque experience, fast engine response, and better overall driving experience, you should go with the GTS, if the cost difference is minimal... Around $10k to 15K loaded..

My $0.02...

pbon 06-19-2021 10:32 PM

I really like our 21 S. I don’t think the GTS has much on it in terms of acceleration. I thought the GTS rode fine (even with 21” wheels) and that the S also with 21 did not ride any better. 20” wheels instead of 21s would improve the ride (we went with 20” wheels
on our S). We did not get the GTS mainly because my wife complained about the truck like sound of the V8. I was fine with it, but the car was for her.

rj2014 06-20-2021 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Laki021 (Post 17502449)
There’s another possibility, get a GTS without PDCC and RWS. It will cost you almost the same as Cayenne S but you will undoubtedly get a better car (lower and stiffer, better handling).

You should try cars with and without those systems and decide. Many people do not like RWS due to the unnatural feeling of rear end sliding away while cornering. I have it on my current car and tested in on Cayenne GTS, don’t want it. The benefits are minimal, reducing turning radius from 12 to 11.5 meters, that’s hardly even noticeable. Personally I find all those stories about increased maneuverability while parking a total BS, marketing and simply people justifying their decision.
Interesting, BMW does not offer RWS with any of their M models, they claim (rightfully) that it adds weight and compromises driving feeling.

PDCC, take a look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-opinion.html

Again a very questionable choice for a GTS. I was thinking to order it, but even my SA advised me against.

Finally, I would expect that those two systems add about 200lbs of extra weight (just PDCC adds two actuators, 48V battery, control unit), not sure you really want that extra weight, you will even hurt your car’s straight line performance.

Point noted. I did drive the CS with PDCC and RWS and it felt very well balanced around the corners. I thought the base I drove without PDCC and RWS was a bit floaty. I will try to get my hands on a GTS with and without PDCC and compare to the S. Appreciate the advice.

rj2014 06-20-2021 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrfun (Post 17502354)
To the OP, my best advice is to try your best and find a gts to test ride with your wife. It seems to be the only unknown preventing you from being 100% sure. I would make a trip to the other poster’s reference location quoted above, if it’s the only option for a hands on experience. Although not at all comparable at all (intended double emphasis here), one of my colleagues recently bought a Macan gts for his wife because he wanted the engine for the two times a year she was going to let his hands on it. She would have been happy with the S. A week later he called me to say they drove up the central coast and after the trip the wife told him she no longer wants to go on road trips with it due to the ride. So now it’s her 90k grocery getter. Seriously, unless you have so much wealth that you just don’t care, I would make a couples trip if necessary, even to a Porsche day at one of their centers, before settling on a long term acquisition of that dollar value. The only caveat here is due to exceptional current circumstances, if you were to get one right now from a lot and not like it a week later, it might be a small hit to return it for exchange. But that all depends how low you get in and who you deal with. Just IMHO. I’m hoping she’ll fall in love with it too though!

Yep, going to take this advice and probably plan a day trip to the closest location from us that has a GTS. My main worry with the Cayenne GTS is if it's ride quality is even half as bad as the Macan GTS, I will not hear the end of it from my wife haha! Based on the responses from others with a GTS, I am hoping that the ride quality in comfort is atleast decent.

rj2014 06-20-2021 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by George from MD (Post 17502289)

Thank you! I don't see any GTS stock on their website but will reach out to Sam.

kayjh 06-20-2021 12:48 PM

You are expressing two concerns: (1) Ride quality/handling and (2) value proposition. I test drove several Cayenne variants in a months long search to the right vehicle for me. Here is what I found:

A Cayenne S optioned lightly provides a very nice driver, that is quiet and relatively fuel efficient. I optioned an S to around $118,000 (CAD) and got the following: Spyder RS wheels, air suspension, premium package plus, lane change assist, surround view, trailer tow package, sport chromo, white paint. I didn't get, full leather, sport exhaust, sport design package. If I had wanted those options, the suv would have been within around $8,000 of a GTS so the GTS would have been the better value proposition. But, of course, value isn't the only consideration.

A GTS adds sport exhaust as standard, Spyder RS (black), lowered suspension, full leather, sport design package. the GTS rides about 10 - 15% firmer than an S. In comfort mode, the S has more than a hint of "float" when you hit abrupt rises in the road or drive over a "lifting" railroad crossing. The GTS has almost no float in "comfort mode". The S removes almost all of it when you switch to sport mode. The GTS seems to have quicker steering and turn in. It is definitely set up different in the front end and you notice it on the highway in a cross wind where it gets pushed around more than an S. Its not a problem, but it is noticeable. The GTS is an easier step in than an S because it is lower - something I appreciate. Overall, in base form the GTS is a better handling suv. The GTS comes closer when optioned with PDCC.

If you don't care for the exhaust rumble at start off from a stop sign or lower speeds, the GTS is not for you. It is like a friend that never goes away, exceptionalities when at stead cruise. All Cayenne models (except GTS) have a distinct drone at highway speeds (60 - 70 mph). The base and eHybrid are the loudest (non PSE) at highway speeds, the PSE reduces that sound a bit, but it is always there. I find it tiring to listen to. The GTS exhaust is silent and cruise (any speed). At city speeds, the engine loafs along at 1,100 rpm in comfort mode and you don't hear anything.

While I may get criticized for writing this, my impression of the VW V6 engines in the Cayenne is that they are not very refined. The base engine while producing plenty of power once you are moving is laggy off the line. The S engine is a great performer but I found it was a bit buzzy at idle in the winter. I drove one in early May when it was warmer out and it was less buzzy and after 45 minutes of driving it was smooth at idle. Engine mounts?

The GTS is an extremely smooth engine and with PSE is not too loud and there is no drone. It feels heavier handling than the S though - maybe its the extra weight of the V8 or maybe its just in my head. It is otherwise a brilliant suv, save for the unwanted exhaust noise (most people buying a Porsche GTS model value the rumble though).

So the choice between the two really comes down to what you preference is. I find the GTS ride to be fine. It is a bit firmer than the S but not so much that your wife would notice. It is firmer than a BMW X5 which is tuned more for comfort. What would be interesting would be to hear your wife's comments on ride between the SQ5 (a Macan sized vehicle) and the Cayenne S you drove. Did she find the ride firmer or softer? I found the Cayenne S to have an overall better ride than the Macan GTS. Its a bigger, heavier vehicle.

As to value; I don't think any of these vehicles will have much value after 8 years and I'll go against the grain in saying the GTS will have a higher value than the S because of the V8. It may be the exact opposite due to the shift to electric cars and the amount of gas the V8 burns.

My advise? Drive a GTS with your wife in the car, back to back with an S on the same roads. After that I think you'll know which is best for you. Adding $30,000 - $40,000 worth of options to an S won't turn it into a GTS. As to PDCC, RWS etc. I drove an S with PDCC and think it is a brilliant option. If I was doing a custom order, I would have included it.

So my bottom line advice? No one can really tell you what is best for your taste. I think you have to drive both and see which you prefer. Am I happy with my GTS choice? Mostly.

What would make it better for me? A quieter exhaust, PDCC and better fuel economy. Do I miss anything? Yes - being able to mash the bas pedal down 75% of the way. Why don't I? Because there is always a car in front of me and when there isn't after about 3 seconds, I'm at triple digits (120 km/h - 70 mph) and I have to release or face a ticket. Some automotive journalists have opined that in the 911 lineup, the best model is the base Carerra. Why? because it is fun to use the cars engine, something that is harder to do with the S and other more powerful models. I find the same with the GTS.

Good luck!

rj2014 06-21-2021 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17503355)
You are expressing two concerns: (1) Ride quality/handling and (2) value proposition. I test drove several Cayenne variants in a months long search to the right vehicle for me. Here is what I found:

A Cayenne S optioned lightly provides a very nice driver, that is quiet and relatively fuel efficient. I optioned an S to around $118,000 (CAD) and got the following: Spyder RS wheels, air suspension, premium package plus, lane change assist, surround view, trailer tow package, sport chromo, white paint. I didn't get, full leather, sport exhaust, sport design package. If I had wanted those options, the suv would have been within around $8,000 of a GTS so the GTS would have been the better value proposition. But, of course, value isn't the only consideration.

A GTS adds sport exhaust as standard, Spyder RS (black), lowered suspension, full leather, sport design package. the GTS rides about 10 - 15% firmer than an S. In comfort mode, the S has more than a hint of "float" when you hit abrupt rises in the road or drive over a "lifting" railroad crossing. The GTS has almost no float in "comfort mode". The S removes almost all of it when you switch to sport mode. The GTS seems to have quicker steering and turn in. It is definitely set up different in the front end and you notice it on the highway in a cross wind where it gets pushed around more than an S. Its not a problem, but it is noticeable. The GTS is an easier step in than an S because it is lower - something I appreciate. Overall, in base form the GTS is a better handling suv. The GTS comes closer when optioned with PDCC.

If you don't care for the exhaust rumble at start off from a stop sign or lower speeds, the GTS is not for you. It is like a friend that never goes away, exceptionalities when at stead cruise. All Cayenne models (except GTS) have a distinct drone at highway speeds (60 - 70 mph). The base and eHybrid are the loudest (non PSE) at highway speeds, the PSE reduces that sound a bit, but it is always there. I find it tiring to listen to. The GTS exhaust is silent and cruise (any speed). At city speeds, the engine loafs along at 1,100 rpm in comfort mode and you don't hear anything.

While I may get criticized for writing this, my impression of the VW V6 engines in the Cayenne is that they are not very refined. The base engine while producing plenty of power once you are moving is laggy off the line. The S engine is a great performer but I found it was a bit buzzy at idle in the winter. I drove one in early May when it was warmer out and it was less buzzy and after 45 minutes of driving it was smooth at idle. Engine mounts?

The GTS is an extremely smooth engine and with PSE is not too loud and there is no drone. It feels heavier handling than the S though - maybe its the extra weight of the V8 or maybe its just in my head. It is otherwise a brilliant suv, save for the unwanted exhaust noise (most people buying a Porsche GTS model value the rumble though).

So the choice between the two really comes down to what you preference is. I find the GTS ride to be fine. It is a bit firmer than the S but not so much that your wife would notice. It is firmer than a BMW X5 which is tuned more for comfort. What would be interesting would be to hear your wife's comments on ride between the SQ5 (a Macan sized vehicle) and the Cayenne S you drove. Did she find the ride firmer or softer? I found the Cayenne S to have an overall better ride than the Macan GTS. Its a bigger, heavier vehicle.

As to value; I don't think any of these vehicles will have much value after 8 years and I'll go against the grain in saying the GTS will have a higher value than the S because of the V8. It may be the exact opposite due to the shift to electric cars and the amount of gas the V8 burns.

My advise? Drive a GTS with your wife in the car, back to back with an S on the same roads. After that I think you'll know which is best for you. Adding $30,000 - $40,000 worth of options to an S won't turn it into a GTS. As to PDCC, RWS etc. I drove an S with PDCC and think it is a brilliant option. If I was doing a custom order, I would have included it.

So my bottom line advice? No one can really tell you what is best for your taste. I think you have to drive both and see which you prefer. Am I happy with my GTS choice? Mostly.

What would make it better for me? A quieter exhaust, PDCC and better fuel economy. Do I miss anything? Yes - being able to mash the bas pedal down 75% of the way. Why don't I? Because there is always a car in front of me and when there isn't after about 3 seconds, I'm at triple digits (120 km/h - 70 mph) and I have to release or face a ticket. Some automotive journalists have opined that in the 911 lineup, the best model is the base Carerra. Why? because it is fun to use the cars engine, something that is harder to do with the S and other more powerful models. I find the same with the GTS.

Good luck!

Thank you for the thorough comparison. I would imagine the S to feel lighter due to less weight on the front axle. The biggest difference I noticed between the Audi and Porsche was the steering and how everything just seemed to be better put together. I hate Audi's steering and Porsche's seemed like levels above which sold me on the Cayenne. Problem is that the Cayenne S I optioned came to $128k as the wife wants the assistance package and full leather interior. The GTS came upto $136k but I would imagine the 4-5% discount on S would make it relatively more cheaper than the GTS.

My wife found the S to be a tad bit more firmer than the SQ5 but the steering was much better than the Audi. We have air suspension on the SQ5 and also used to own an AMG which had a very firm ride. She drives the SQ5 in comfort mode where it feels very floaty. She also found the ride to be more planted in the CS but I am not sure how much of that is due the presence of PDCC on the CS we drove. Regarding the V8, I do appreciate the rumble and better low end torque and would love to have it. We are planning to go on a day trip to a near by city that has both GTS and S in stock. Problem is, none of the dealerships here in Texas have a GTS currently so we will have to fly somewhere.

Finally, since you also drove the Macan GTS, would you mind comparing the drive between Cayenne GTS and Macan GTS please? Is the ride in Cayenne GTS less harsh than the Macan?

icemang 06-21-2021 12:36 AM

The Porsche inventory tool is kind of a pain since you can't search for the submodel, only the model, but if you're willing to do some scrolling and refreshing you can see what's where: https://www.porsche.com/usa/inventorysearch/

kayjh 06-21-2021 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17504316)
Finally, since you also drove the Macan GTS, would you mind comparing the drive between Cayenne GTS and Macan GTS please? Is the ride in Cayenne GTS less harsh than the Macan?

I last drove a Macan GTS in summer 2020 and found it to have a very good ride. In both Macan and Cayenne, the air suspension makes for a compliant ride and great handling. The Cayenne offers a more solid and insulated feel than the Macan, but the Macan is a much sportier drive I really liked the PDK. I don’t think either vehicle has a harsh ride but Cayenne has been reviewed as having a firmer ride than other vehicles in its class (Audi, BMW), so it is a personal choice you have to make.

Fahrfun 06-21-2021 02:42 AM

My wife found the S to be a tad bit more firmer than the SQ5 but the steering was much better than the Audi. We have air suspension on the SQ5 and also used to own an AMG which had a very firm ride. She drives the SQ5 in comfort mode where it feels very floaty. She also found the ride to be more planted in the CS but I am not sure how much of that is due the presence of PDCC on the CS we drove. Regarding the V8, I do appreciate the rumble and better low end torque and would love to have it. We are planning to go on a day trip to a near by city that has both GTS and S in stock. Problem is, none of the dealerships here in Texas have a GTS currently so we will have to fly somewhere.

Glad you are planning on testing out both back to back. It’s the only way to truly find out what works for you and your spouse personally. I like how Porsche tuned their electric steering on their midsize SUV. Very reminiscent of hydraulic sensory perfection of bygone days. It’s the only vehicle in its class that brings a smile to my face when I drive. That, combined with excellent automatic gearshift timings, sets them apart from the rest, including their domestic competitors. I may amend that statement if and when I ever get behind the wheel of a Ferrari suv.

I just wanted to pass on a tip for when you go on that testing day. When you drive the S with air, try a short stretch with manually lowered suspension level while keeping the rest in normal. Some make it an individual setting. It lowers the center of mass closer to the GTS for slightly more responsiveness (ie car like feel) while maintaining ride comfort. It will never be a gts though obviously.

The most comfortable ride configuration I can say I’ve experienced in the Cayenne was the most basic 19” wheels i.e. tallest sidewalls on a base model with air suspension and nothing else. That drive was followed by one with steel suspension and 21” wheels, again nothing else. The surprise was that the ride in the latter was not dramatically harsher as I would have expected. The ride was certainly louder from tire noise and a bit jittery, but nothing harsh. In other words, not a world of difference in ride sacrifice. Porsche really nails it with their suspensions, unless your objective is a Lincoln level of plushness. And not AMG degrees of pain either.

Last, I would encourage you to try other configured chassis if available on the dealer lot especially PDCC vs non, and RWS vs non. I’m one the few (but not the only one) who felt undue business from the constantly active PDCC (or in my case hyperactive) to the point of getting lightly car sick on irregular road surfaces which seem to be everywhere now. Only two other vehicles did that to me... our late GLS which we couldn’t wait to “torpedo” fast enough, and a recent test drive of an X7 m50i with never settling active dampers. Anyway, most important of all, have fun!

kayjh 06-21-2021 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrfun (Post 17504474)
I’m one the few (but not the only one) who felt undue business from the constantly active PDCC (or in my case hyperactive) to the point of getting lightly car sick on irregular road surfaces which seem to be everywhere now.

I'll go the other way on PDCC. One of my over the weekend test drives was in a Cayenne S with air and PDCC. I noticed that not only did the suv corner much flatter but that side to side motion which normally causes "head toss" was much reduced. Whether this was due to the air suspension or the PDCC, I don't know. But, I felt the Cayenne S with air suspension and PDCC handled very close to the GTS. As to getting sick on irregular surfaces, that feeling was present in a Cayenne eHybrid on steel springs. It went back after a test drive as a solid "no" for me. In any event, these are expensive vehicles and I agree that the OP should try before he buys, even if he has to travel to do so.

Fahrfun 06-21-2021 12:17 PM

I’ll take the same advice and give PDCC another go before the final decision. Maybe that particular test drive was a fluke for other unknown reasons to me at the time.

joinauto 06-22-2021 01:14 AM

I was in the same shoe few months back. First test drove Cayenne S (no air) and felt it was too floaty and ride was harsh with 21wheel. Then test drove Cayenne S with air and PDCC, it was much improved but didn't like the slow response of the engine and drone engine noise. Then I test drove a GTS without PDCC. For driving experience, Cayenne S with PDCC was no comparison to GTS to me, and the GTS was quite comfortable. So I went to GTS route and optioned it with PDCC and RWS for their advertised driving experience (note that GTS tested by car journalists were optioned with PDCC and RWS).

Laki021 06-22-2021 06:44 AM

So you would say that GTS without PDCC handles and drives better than Cayenne S with PDCC and PASM?

If I understand correctly, you liked the drive of the GTS without PDCC and RWS, but added them to your config hoping that it will make the ride even better (based on the advertisements)?

douriel 06-22-2021 09:25 AM

Having driven both the S and GTS, the GTS is a totally different experience. Way more fun and engaging. Many may disagree, but it is 98% of what my Turbo is once you add PDCC and RWS.

kayjh 06-22-2021 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by douriel (Post 17506898)
Having driven both the S and GTS, the GTS is a totally different experience. Way more fun and engaging. Many may disagree, but it is 98% of what my Turbo is once you add PDCC and RWS.

Porsche has tuned the suspension on the GTS differently than the S to give it sharper handling and a slightly firmer ride. I didn’t drive a Turbo but my SA told me that the Turbo model is more luxury than sport in the ride and handling department. It is softer and quieter than the GTS and doesn’t come standard with PSE. The GTS also has weight added to the steering that is not present on the S or Turbo. In short, the GTS is the sportiest driving/handling.

While I did drive an S with PDCC and a GTS without PDCC, I didn’t drive them back to back so I can’t say if a GTS handles better than an S with PDCC but. I do think it steers “quicker” and is a bit more nimble. My impression of the S with PDCC was one of amazement at how flat the S cornered. With all of these variants, you get to build how much sharpness in the handling you want. In the end, I thought the GTS handled so well that when presented with a unit on my dealers lot without PDCC, I wasn’t concerned about missing that option. If I was doing a factory order I would add the PDCC. Not sure about the RWS as I haven’t driven one with that option.

Importantly for the OP, PDCC doesn’t make the ride harsher or softer and in any event I didn’t find the ride harsh in any of the variants but the steel sprung versions do ride firmer. I wouldn’t buy a Cayenne without air suspension. The rest of the suspension options just make a great driver - better, but not necessary to enjoy the suv.

XLR82XS 06-22-2021 10:05 AM

I own a GTS w/o PDCC and the handling is fantastic. So well that I don't mind not having PDCC. Just a few days drove on some backroad twisties and I was impressed how it does what it does with all that weight. Definitely improved road holding compared to Turbo. 453hp is plenty to have lots of fun in this thing.

joinauto 06-22-2021 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Laki021 (Post 17506751)
So you would say that GTS without PDCC handles and drives better than Cayenne S with PDCC and PASM?

If I understand correctly, you liked the drive of the GTS without PDCC and RWS, but added them to your config hoping that it will make the ride even better (based on the advertisements)?

GTS is just a different driving experience from Cayenne S (w or w/o PDCC). If you like more sporty driving, you will like GTS. With GTS, you want to drive faster, but I wouldn't say so for Cayenne S.

arunym 06-28-2021 10:42 AM

Thank you for the thorough comparison. I would imagine the S to feel lighter due to less weight on the front axle. The biggest difference I noticed between the Audi and Porsche was the steering and how everything just seemed to be better put together. I hate Audi's steering and Porsche's seemed like levels above which sold me on the Cayenne. Problem is that the Cayenne S I optioned came to $128k as the wife wants the assistance package and full leather interior. The GTS came upto $136k but I would imagine the 4-5% discount on S would make it relatively more cheaper than the GTS.

I negotiated a GTS coupe with several dealers and got up to 6% off MSRP on a custom build. The reactions were all over the place, some dealers said they wanted more than MSPR, some just basically hung up the phone, but the majority were willing to deal with an average of about 2% off. I did not go for the 6% because that dealer had no allocations and wanted a high deposit ($14k), and also passed on another one with 5% off because no allocation, so i landed with a dealer that had an allocation for May build (on a boat now for delivery in 2 weeks!!) and offered 4% off with $5k deposit. You can get a discount, just cast a wide net. Happy to share my strategy, just let me know.

Here is the build for reference (MY 21, so base price was $1200 less @ $110,500, all else same):
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNPWBB92

Mario52 06-29-2021 11:48 AM

GTS with PDCC 250%. Amazing car. I love it more then my 922 4S!

rj2014 06-29-2021 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17519497)
I negotiated a GTS coupe with several dealers and got up to 6% off MSRP on a custom build. The reactions were all over the place, some dealers said they wanted more than MSPR, some just basically hung up the phone, but the majority were willing to deal with an average of about 2% off. I did not go for the 6% because that dealer had no allocations and wanted a high deposit ($14k), and also passed on another one with 5% off because no allocation, so i landed with a dealer that had an allocation for May build (on a boat now for delivery in 2 weeks!!) and offered 4% off with $5k deposit. You can get a discount, just cast a wide net. Happy to share my strategy, just let me know.

Here is the build for reference (MY 21, so base price was $1200 less @ $110,500, all else same):
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNPWBB92

Thank you and congrats on the new GTS!
Is it alright if I reach out to you in a few weeks? Still haven't found the time to test drive a GTS yet as there is nothing available within a 200mile radius of where we live. Planning to go to a near by city that has a GTS in the coming weeks.

arunym 06-29-2021 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17521868)
Thank you and congrats on the new GTS!
Is it alright if I reach out to you in a few weeks? Still haven't found the time to test drive a GTS yet as there is nothing available within a 200mile radius of where we live. Planning to go to a near by city that has a GTS in the coming weeks.

yes for sure. 200 mile radius is reasonable, i went further, but thats because that was best deal + allocation and i dont mind a pick up + long (same day) drive home :)

s85b50 07-01-2021 08:23 AM

Get the S if fuel efficiency is a concern. We do long weekend trips 3-5 times a month so it mattered to us.
On the driving side, the 2.9S is a good bit lighter than V8 variants so you might like its responsiveness better. We also liked the revvy V6 over the torquey V8 Turbo, along with consideration towards differences in consumables/reliability as we tend to keep cars long term.
That being said, if this were to be your only “fun” car, I would get the GTS coupe, with lightweight package.

Gh0st0 07-01-2021 09:52 AM

I assume that the base will get the 2.9 in the coming years as the Macan is replacing the 3.0. So i figure it’s a matter of time

kayjh 07-01-2021 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by s85b50 (Post 17525755)
Get the S if fuel efficiency is a concern. We do long weekend trips 3-5 times a month so it mattered to us.
On the driving side, the 2.9S is a good bit lighter than V8 variants so you might like its responsiveness better. We also liked the revvy V6 over the torquey V8 Turbo, along with consideration towards differences in consumables/reliability as we tend to keep cars long term.
That being said, if this were to be your only “fun” car, I would get the GTS coupe, with lightweight package.

Average annual fuel cost difference between GTS and S is $500.00/year. As to handling responsiveness, the S does feel a bit lighter but with the suspension tuning and setup differences in the GTS, you need to add air and PDCC to an S to get it to handle closer to the GTS.

s85b50 07-01-2021 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17526012)
Average annual fuel cost difference between GTS and S is $500.00/year. As to handling responsiveness, the S does feel a bit lighter but with the suspension tuning and setup differences in the GTS, you need to add air and PDCC to an S to get it to handle closer to the GTS.

Oh, less concerned about fuel, just sheer annoyance having to frequent the gas station. I already have two cars with V8s, don’t need a 3rd one. Ours optioned at $115k along with PASM, PDCC,RAS, cohiba brown NL.

SARGEPUG 07-01-2021 08:37 PM

Simply put, if you can afford a GTS, absolute no brainer! I took delivery of mine yesterday, which was 1 of 4 allocations left in the country for MY '21. I just came out of an '18 M5, which I loved and this has already made me forget her on the same day. Sort of like you broke up w/ a nine and landed a 10! ;) I saw some concerns ride wise here and I can tell you that it rides better than my M5. I did load her up w/ PDCC, lt wt sport package, rear wheel steering, etc., but still it's an SAV and handles much better than my M5 did. Power wise compared to the M, she's down 100+ hp, but feels only slightly slower and means nothing to me. The unique thing, is that it has a turbo boost button, that instantaneously hyper spools the turbos and catapults the car on command for 20 sec and all around, the sound from the rear center pipes is outstanding! Note that the center pipes come w/ the lt st sport package / lt wt exhaust. If you need to worry about payments, mileage, etc, then you will surely be happy w/ an S and go GTS when you can do so. :)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fd20b4fc20.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c9230974ab.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c15c1ebe35.jpg

icemang 07-01-2021 10:01 PM

I dunno, I live down a lumpy dirt road, in an area where it snows quite a bit, where the roads are crappy, and my Cayenne needs to deal with that and dogs and trips to the dump and more. I said it before and I do think it has some validity - it seems there's a divide in Cayenne owners between those who think they bought the world's biggest sports car and those who think they bought the world's coolest truck. Mine's a truck. My sports car is a '96 911, it's great to drive but it spends a lot of time in the garage.

edit: I'm not saying that either viewpoint is wrong or right, just that there are different ways to look at things and that different models appeal to different people for different resons.

rj2014 07-03-2021 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17527101)
Simply put, if you can afford a GTS, absolute no brainer! I took delivery of mine yesterday, which was 1 of 4 allocations left in the country for MY '21. I just came out of an '18 M5, which I loved and this has already made me forget her on the same day. Sort of like you broke up w/ a nine and landed a 10! ;) I saw some concerns ride wise here and I can tell you that it rides better than my M5. I did load her up w/ PDCC, lt wt sport package, rear wheel steering, etc., but still it's an SAV and handles much better than my M5 did. Power wise compared to the M, she's down 100+ hp, but feels only slightly slower and means nothing to me. The unique thing, is that it has a turbo boost button, that instantaneously hyper spools the turbos and catapults the car on command for 20 sec and all around, the sound from the rear center pipes is outstanding! Note that the center pipes come w/ the lt st sport package / lt wt exhaust. If you need to worry about payments, mileage, etc, then you will surely be happy w/ an S and go GTS when you can do so. :)

Congrats on the new GTS. It looks badass! Hoping one of these days I get a chance to test drive the GTS. I am not a fan of coupe style SUVs but, imo, Cayenne Coupe is the most good looking SUV currently on the market.

arunym 07-06-2021 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17527101)

Looks amazing. Mine just landed at the Davisville port this morning with anticipated dealer arrival next week (7/15), cant wait, will def post pics! have a lot of the same options, except my color is chalk.

mattsrs 07-06-2021 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17534547)
Looks amazing. Mine just landed at the Davisville port this morning with anticipated dealer arrival next week (7/15), cant wait, will def post pics! have a lot of the same options, except my color is chalk.

Do all east coast deliveries go to Davisville port?

arunym 07-06-2021 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mattsrs (Post 17534570)

I dont think so, but maybe. I ordered an M4 a few years ago and that landed in Savannah, but dealer was out of GA. Assuming porsche would use savannah as well for SE dealers

icemang 07-06-2021 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattsrs (Post 17534570)

No they also go to Baltimore, Savannah and I think Jacksonville.

SARGEPUG 07-07-2021 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17534547)

Thanks and that's a great color as well. Good friend has a Panamera 4 in same color.

PS: yours a GTS?

arunym 07-08-2021 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17537222)
Thanks and that's a great color as well. Good friend has a Panamera 4 in same color.

PS: yours a GTS?

yes, GTS with light weight sport in black like yours. I went back and forth a ton on color and landed on chalk, its hard to get a color that doesnt look good on this car.

SARGEPUG 07-08-2021 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17538245)
yes, GTS with light weight sport in black like yours. I went back and forth a ton on color and landed on chalk, its hard to get a color that doesnt look good on this car.

Agreed!

SARGEPUG 07-08-2021 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17529401)
Congrats on the new GTS. It looks badass! Hoping one of these days I get a chance to test drive the GTS. I am not a fan of coupe style SUVs but, imo, Cayenne Coupe is the most good looking SUV currently on the market.

I don't think you will find one to test drive. Mine was ordered in March and was 1 of 4 allocations left in the states! They are almost impossible to get.
I'm not sure bout the other models, but if your concern is comfort, you will not be disappointed. The GTS comes w/ an air suspension, that is adjustable like Cheech and Chong's Chevy man. lol
I just came out of an '18 M5 and Wifey has a new '21 X5 M50i.
I find mine rides better even w/ 22s, than both of the BMW Ms in similar settings and both Ms have 20s! Here's a screen shot of the adjustability.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c4b2c27d46.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...53d4e67d4f.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cbf2162173.jpg

rj2014 07-09-2021 02:07 PM

So I never did get a chance to drive a GTS but based on everyone's comments and what my local dealer has suggested about ride quality, I am just going to go with the GTS. Now the only issue is waiting 6+ months on a new build unless I can magically find a GTS that is close enough to what we are looking for in options.

Appreciate everyone's help here and your comments have been very helpful in making a decision.

arunym 07-09-2021 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17540643)
So I never did get a chance to drive a GTS but based on everyone's comments and what my local dealer has suggested about ride quality, I am just going to go with the GTS. Now the only issue is waiting 6+ months on a new build unless I can magically find a GTS that is close enough to what we are looking for in options.

Appreciate everyone's help here and your comments have been very helpful in making a decision.

go with the GTS! Dont make location your barrier, you can either plan for roadtrip if dealer is far or they will ship...if ofcourse you find one you like.

drcollie 07-09-2021 06:17 PM

My Dealer in Bethesda MD just got in a GTS two days ago - its high spec, think he said it's $ 133K window sticker, don't know the colors. He said they will not come off MSRP on it, too hard to get them. Its not on their website, but call Christian if you want the specs. His Cell is 571-389-5892.

I LOVE my GTS, the V8 rumble every time I start it makes it special. I'd sell my 992 S before I'd give up my GTS Cayenne.

- Duane C

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cbf5c8d278.jpg

rj2014 07-09-2021 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 17541145)
My Dealer in Bethesda MD just got in a GTS two days ago - its high spec, think he said it's $ 133K window sticker, don't know the colors. He said they will not come off MSRP on it, too hard to get them. Its not on their website, but call Christian if you want the specs. His Cell is 571-389-5892.

I LOVE my GTS, the V8 rumble every time I start it makes it special. I'd sell my 992 S before I'd give up my GTS Cayenne.

- Duane C

Thank you. I actually did reach out to someone at Porsche Bethesda but the GTS they just got has a red interior which was a no go for us. Stunning looking car btw! We will be relocating to the DC area in fall.

rj2014 07-09-2021 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17541108)
go with the GTS! Dont make location your barrier, you can either plan for roadtrip if dealer is far or they will ship...if ofcourse you find one you like.

Yeah, I am looking around the country. Btw, on your order, did you ever try to find out if you can delete the carbon fiber roof and just keep the pano roof with the lightweight sport package?

Ticket Target 07-09-2021 10:27 PM

:nono:

Archimedes 07-10-2021 12:37 AM

I’m in the same boat, looking to spec a Cayenne in the next release of allocations. Considering both S and GTS. Great info in this thread, but my head is spinning….

Kashimoto 07-10-2021 12:46 AM

Hello folks,

I think you will get more enjoyment out of the gts and is an easier sell when you decide to move on. Good luck either way!

SARGEPUG 07-10-2021 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17540643)

I believe it's easier to obtain an allocation for a Cayenne GTS over a Coupe GTS, which one are you considering? And no, you cannot remove the CF roof from the Lt wt package. IMO, the CF roof is awesome and adds to the edge of the car and it's pure GTS nature. Don't forget, the GTS line is Porsche's M, AMG, etc. line. It's 100% dedicated to performance and the driver, where as Turbos and the likes, more cater toward those favoring luxury. Perfect example is the Lt Wt sport package. It actually eliminates the rear middle seat and most importantly, it eliminates most of the leather in the seats for the lighter cloth houndstooth! IMO, the houndstooth interior is stunning and further set's her apart from the rest. ;)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...57a51b635f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...344096df59.jpg

rj2014 07-10-2021 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17542762)
I believe it's easier to obtain an allocation for a Cayenne GTS over a Coupe GTS, which one are you considering? And no, you cannot remove the CF roof from the Lt wt package. IMO, the CF roof is awesome and adds to the edge of the car and it's pure GTS nature. Don't forget, the GTS line is Porsche's M, AMG, etc. line. It's 100% dedicated to performance and the driver, where as Turbos and the likes, more cater toward those favoring luxury. Perfect example is the Lt Wt sport package. It actually eliminates the rear middle seat and most importantly, it eliminates most of the leather in the seats for the lighter cloth houndstooth! IMO, the houndstooth interior is stunning and further set's her apart from the rest. ;)

We got a chance to sit in the houndstooth seats the other day and they were stunning. But we are going with the regular GTS as we need the extra space. Paying the deposit next week and we are looking at a Q1 2022 delivery. Hope you are enjoying your new car :)

Here is the build we are considering
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY9GII0

I am on the fence regarding PDCC mainly due to longer term reliability. I want to keep this car for 8-10 years and its probably going to be my first and last V8 SUV before these engines are discontinued by 2030.

SARGEPUG 07-12-2021 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17542781)
We got a chance to sit in the houndstooth seats the other day and they were stunning. But we are going with the regular GTS as we need the extra space. Paying the deposit next week and we are looking at a Q1 2022 delivery. Hope you are enjoying your new car :)

Here is the build we are considering
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY9GII0

I am on the fence regarding PDCC mainly due to longer term reliability. I want to keep this car for 8-10 years and its probably going to be my first and last V8 SUV before these engines are discontinued by 2030.

I am ecstatic over my GTS coupe, it's way beyond my expectations! I hear you on the extra space, but since this is my DD and Wifey has a '21 X5 M50i, I don't need it (nor the middle rear seat I lost w/ the lt wt package). Again, being that I came out of an '18 M5, I didn't want to be disappointed, so I loaded her to the gills w/ all the performance goodies. Therefore, on top of the lt wt sport package, I took the PDCC and rear wheel steering. It truly drives on rails and body roll is non existent, to the tune of shaming my M5 when I even had the M in all sport plus. I had her in the city today, aka Manhattan, and she soaked all up w/ authority! Nice build and what are you coming out of??

rj2014 07-13-2021 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17546204)
I am ecstatic over my GTS coupe, it's way beyond my expectations! I hear you on the extra space, but since this is my DD and Wifey has a '21 X5 M50i, I don't need it (nor the middle rear seat I lost w/ the lt wt package). Again, being that I came out of an '18 M5, I didn't want to be disappointed, so I loaded her to the gills w/ all the performance goodies. Therefore, on top of the lt wt sport package, I took the PDCC and rear wheel steering. It truly drives on rails and body roll is non existent, to the tune of shaming my M5 when I even had the M in all sport plus. I had her in the city today, aka Manhattan, and she soaked all up w/ authority! Nice build and what are you coming out of??

Coming out of an Audi SQ5. I am probably going to end up ordering the PDCC because like I said, this is going to be with us for a long time and I don't want to have any regrets. Nice to know that it soaked up bumps well. We are moving to the DC area soon and I heard there are a few bad roads there as well.

arunym 07-13-2021 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17546204)

Man, nice description. Mine is still at the port! AHHH! need it now. :)

SARGEPUG 07-14-2021 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17547712)
Man, nice description. Mine is still at the port! AHHH! need it now. :)

lol, what's your build?

arunym 07-15-2021 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17550245)
lol, what's your build?

Finally hit the dealer, whew! Here is the build. Will def share pics after the weekend when i get to drive it a bit :)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3e7e96e1d3.jpg

SARGEPUG 07-15-2021 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17551695)
Finally hit the dealer, whew! Here is the build. Will def share pics after the weekend when i get to drive it a bit :)

Congrats and you will love it!! Do post!

Kashimoto 07-15-2021 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17551695)

love the chalk gts with your spec! Congrats

arunym 07-15-2021 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kashimoto (Post 17551857)
love the chalk gts with your spec! Congrats

Thank you! here is pic 1:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4d414c3cdc.jpg

MitchFindlay 07-15-2021 08:25 PM

Great looking car. My lowly "S" model arrives next week. Did your GTS arrive without the chip that controls the steering column adjust? Mine will come without that chip. That will be installed at an undetermined future date.

arunym 07-15-2021 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MitchFindlay (Post 17552149)
Great looking car. My lowly "S" model arrives next week. Did your GTS arrive without the chip that controls the steering column adjust? Mine will come without that chip. That will be installed at an undetermined future date.

Your S is just as awesome, im sure youre super excited for it! and yup, no steering column adjustment either. All good, we'll get it retrofitted.

rj2014 07-16-2021 11:18 AM

Op here. Finally got to drive a GTS and my god has it been a blast! S and GTS seem pretty much on-par with respect to power but where they differed IMO is the low end grunt and exhaust note. The twin turbo V6 on the S is almost hesitant at lower RPMs while the V8 in GTS was always ready to go. This, IMO, will make a big difference in daily driving. Suspension and handling are much more dialed in on the GTS but the ride was still pretty good in comfort mode. The V8 rumble and exhaust note on the GTS is intoxicating. My wife, who doesn't really care much for driving dynamics is completely sold on the Cayenne steering feel. In comparison, our Audi steering feels very numb and lazy (which it is). Needless to say, I paid the deposit on a custom GTS build. Only downside now is the 6mo wait to get the car.

The GTS we drove did not come with PDCC but it seemed to handle great with very little body roll even in comfort. I really wonder how much better it will be with the PDCC. Although, we do go on long road trips often to the mountains where it might show its true worth on the twisty roads.

kayjh 07-16-2021 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17553015)
Op here. Finally got to drive a GTS and my god has it been a blast! S and GTS seem pretty much on-par with respect to power but where they differed IMO is the low end grunt and exhaust note. The twin turbo V6 on the S is almost hesitant at lower RPMs while the V8 in GTS was always ready to go. This, IMO, will make a big difference in daily driving. Suspension and handling are much more dialed in on the GTS but the ride was still pretty good in comfort mode. The V8 rumble and exhaust note on the GTS is intoxicating. My wife, who doesn't really care much for driving dynamics is completely sold on the Cayenne steering feel. In comparison, our Audi steering feels very numb and lazy (which it is). Needless to say, I paid the deposit on a custom GTS build. Only downside now is the 6mo wait to get the car.

The GTS we drove did not come with PDCC but it seemed to handle great with very little body roll even in comfort. I really wonder how much better it will be with the PDCC. Although, we do go on long road trips often to the mountains where it might show its true worth on the twisty roads.

Glad you enjoyed the test drive and you'll have one ordered soon. If it was me, I'd add the PDCC as long as you like the feel of it. Some recent articles say that PDCC (on some vehicles) feels a bit un natural so you might want to try before you buy. I didn't notice anything on the S I test drove last winter. As good as the GTS is, it is still a heavy vehicle and systems like PDCC and RWS are designed to make it handle like it is lighter. I think you might find PDCC more useful in city driving than you think. Rounding 90 degree corners tends to roll vehicles a fair bit and the Cayenne is no exception, although I find my GTS stays pretty flat. I didn't order my car so didn't have the opportunity to pick options. I'd have picked PDCC if I had done a factory order. I drove an S with that option and couldn't believe how flat it cornered.

rj2014 07-16-2021 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17553061)
Glad you enjoyed the test drive and you'll have one ordered soon. If it was me, I'd add the PDCC as long as you like the feel of it. Some recent articles say that PDCC (on some vehicles) feels a bit un natural so you might want to try before you buy. I didn't notice anything on the S I test drove last winter. As good as the GTS is, it is still a heavy vehicle and systems like PDCC and RWS are designed to make it handle like it is lighter. I think you might find PDCC more useful in city driving than you think. Rounding 90 degree corners tends to roll vehicles a fair bit and the Cayenne is no exception, although I find my GTS stays pretty flat. I didn't order my car so didn't have the opportunity to pick options. I'd have picked PDCC if I had done a factory order. I drove an S with that option and couldn't believe how flat it cornered.

Interesting point about city driving. I did drive an S with PDCC and it handled amazingly well. GTS seemed to handle well even without the PDCC but I am going to probably option it anyway as we do tend to go up the mountains a lot.

arunym 07-16-2021 12:29 PM

Awesome! Will PDCC make the car subjectively better? yes. Did i get it? no. Its just personal preference and where you want to spend the dollars on options. Theres no right answer. I optioned my car a good amount, but at the end of the day, if i took the base with zero options, i doubt i would be any less happy over the subsequent years driving the car. BTW, we have a Q7, and i LOVE it, but yes, totally numb and lazy lol.

rj2014 07-16-2021 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17553173)
Awesome! Will PDCC make the car subjectively better? yes. Did i get it? no. Its just personal preference and where you want to spend the dollars on options. Theres no right answer. I optioned my car a good amount, but at the end of the day, if i took the base with zero options, i doubt i would be any less happy over the subsequent years driving the car. BTW, we have a Q7, and i LOVE it, but yes, totally numb and lazy lol.

The Q7 does make for a good road trip car though. Hope you are enjoying your new GTS!

Archimedes 07-16-2021 02:03 PM

When you say 'still pretty good' in comfort mode, can you expand on that a bit. I'm on the fence about S vs. GTS. Probably prefer the GTS and will definitely do PDCC on either one, but I want to be able to make it very comfortable when desired.

Also, can someone confirm that the air suspension in the GTS allows you to raise it up? Every GTS I've ever seen was in the lowest setting.

rj2014 07-16-2021 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17553404)
When you say 'still pretty good' in comfort mode, can you expand on that a bit. I'm on the fence about S vs. GTS. Probably prefer the GTS and will definitely do PDCC on either one, but I want to be able to make it very comfortable when desired.

Also, can someone confirm that the air suspension in the GTS allows you to raise it up? Every GTS I've ever seen was in the lowest setting.

I drove the GTS on rough city roads and on highway, both in comfort mode. On rough roads, the car did soak up most of the bumps but you can still feel a bit of bumps compared to S but nothing too bad. GTS sits 10mm lower than the S so there is less space for the suspension to move. For highway cruising, it was very comfortable and on long road trips, it wont matter if you are in a GTS or S. We were mainly worried that the GTS ride will be compromised like the X5M or equivalent AMG models but it was not. Please keep in mind that this is all very subjective and the best way to decide would be to try it yourself.

On a side note, if you find yourself adding all the performance options, then you more than likely enjoy driving and the GTS would be a better fit IMO as the price difference will be minimal.

arunym 07-16-2021 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17553679)
I drove the GTS on rough city roads and on highway, both in comfort mode. On rough roads, the car did soak up most of the bumps but you can still feel a bit of bumps compared to S but nothing too bad. GTS sits 10mm lower than the S so there is less space for the suspension to move. For highway cruising, it was very comfortable and on long road trips, it wont matter if you are in a GTS or S. We were mainly worried that the GTS ride will be compromised like the X5M or equivalent AMG models but it was not. Please keep in mind that this is all very subjective and the best way to decide would be to try it yourself.

On a side note, if you find yourself adding all the performance options, then you more than likely enjoy driving and the GTS would be a better fit IMO as the price difference will be minimal.

This is good info. I think the decision may be easier to make than you think. Assuming you are ok with the dollars either way, do you want a more comfortable car that is less sporty, or do you want a sportier car that is less comfortable? I chose the latter, but i was dead sure thats what i wanted. Dont get me wrong, you still get plenty of comfort in the GTS, but if comfort is your higher priority, definitely go with the S.

Archimedes 07-16-2021 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17553679)

I'm replacing a '19 M5 as my daily driver, and that thing just made power effortlessly, so I do fear the V6 in the S will be a let down, or at least an adjustment. The GTS appeals to me in that regard, as does a reasonably sporty ride. I'm fine with some firmness, but I don't want harsh or jittery and I want something that can be comfy on relatively smooth roads. While I'd love the grunt of the V8, I really don't want a shouty exhaust all the time, and I am concerned that some say it's loud even with the exhaust off.

rj2014 07-16-2021 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17554104)
I'm replacing a '19 M5 as my daily driver, and that thing just made power effortlessly, so I do fear the V6 in the S will be a let down, or at least an adjustment. The GTS appeals to me in that regard, as does a reasonably sporty ride. I'm fine with some firmness, but I don't want harsh or jittery and I want something that can be comfy on relatively smooth roads. While I'd love the grunt of the V8, I really don't want a shouty exhaust all the time, and I am concerned that some say it's loud even with the exhaust off.

The ride was not jittery or harsh at all. I tracked the M5 last week and also rode it on the highway. In comfort mode, the GTS is a better ride than the M5. Regarding the exhaust, I did not drive the car long enough to know but the car was very quiet at highway speeds.

sampelligrino 07-16-2021 08:16 PM

If you can make the cost delta work, GTS no question

Archimedes 07-16-2021 09:45 PM

Moneys not the issue. I could buy whatever I want. I just want to make sure I get the right vehicle for me. Unfortunately there are no GTS’s available for test drive in the area.

icemang 07-19-2021 10:06 AM

While performance features drive cost, cost is not the only -or perhaps even the main- reason there are different models. There are different models because there are different use cases for the vehicle. If you need your SUV to recreate the driving experience of an M5 it can be done, approximately. I personally don't understand why that would be a goal, but knock yourself out. I wanted a great SUV and in my opinion my S is one. But this is essentially the confirmation bias thread and I'm as guilty as everyone else on that.

kayjh 07-19-2021 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17553404)

The GTS is definitely firmer than the S in comfort mode. if you are most concerned with ride quality and don't mind a bit of float in the comfort mode the S with 20" wheels and air suspension would be a good choice. The GTS with 21" wheels (standard) is firmer, I think the dealer said about 15%.

Here is the thing. Nothing is perfect. The GTS is very responsive from the steering and suspension setup making it more fun to drive, but you pay for it a little bit on rougher roads. We have a lot of those where I live and sometimes it bothers me. But I test drove an S with air on the same roads and it didn't seem much different.

I drove a BMW X5 on the same roads and it was more comfortable, but was a boring drive. In the end, I opted for the GTS. It's a bit firmer than what I would choose, but for me the handling makes up for it. So, it just comes down to what you value the most? Smooth ride? Get an X5 or Audi or Range Rover Sport. Want an suv with the best handling and a thrilling drive? Get the GTS.

Finally, comfort (like exhaust sound) is a personal thing. You can get advice on forums but in the end, what is best for you is only known after you spend some time in the seats of all the models. I did that for my recent purchase and am happy. The 2017 911 C4 I bought after a 20 minute test drive 6 months before I ordered a car didn't work out so well. I sold it at a loss a month after I bought it. There wasn't one person on this forum (911) that advised against getting PSE. Everyone said it was a "must have". But for me, I couldn't tolerate the drone so my next 911 will be without PSE, despite advice on the forums.

Get what makes you happy, not what makes us happy.

Schnave 07-19-2021 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17558522)
. . . Get what makes you happy, not what makes us happy.

Excellent point, kayjh! 👍🏼

SARGEPUG 07-19-2021 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17554104)

Ha! I am returning my '18 this week, for which my GTS has replaced as my DD. In your head, you are contemplating, should I go from a 600hp M5 sedan to an under 500hp crossover GTS?
I have a GTS coupe, so can't speak for the Cayenne GTS, but she honestly runs circles around the M5 in every way. Note that I took the Lt Wt sports package, PDCC and rear wheel steering.

pbon 07-19-2021 09:28 PM

I have an 18 M5 and 21 Cayenne S. The M5 is way faster and handles better, but has no personality. I actually like the sound and feel of the little 2.9L TT motor more — it has a little personality. I would have bought the Cayenne Turbo but the SUV is for my wife. We test drove a GTS as a compromise but she thought it sounded like a truck. I am not ready to go to an SUV as my primary driver. Maybe if I also had a 911 Turbo to satisfy my speed need.

s85b50 07-19-2021 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17554344)
Moneys not the issue. I could buy whatever I want. I just want to make sure I get the right vehicle for me. Unfortunately there are no GTS’s available for test drive in the area.

If this is the case and you don't ever plan to get a V8 Panamera, I would say go for a Cayenne Turbo. GTS may give you a sporty ride but at the price of comfort, less power and ultimately turbo experience which generally has firm handling and also corners VERY flat with PDCC. Turbo will let you know why the model is considered flagship for so many years.
I have a variety of Pcars in my garage - 970.2 4.8
PTT, 9Y0 2.9CS , 958 C3.0D, 993 and 951T - Having been fortunate enough to experience all the modern variants of non-flat sixes I think the later version of dry sump V8 is a gem. If you don't have it then suggest you get one.

Ticket Target 07-19-2021 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 17554344)

I'm in San Jose (mostly). If you want to drive a turbo coupe with all the sport options, we could talk.

arunym 07-22-2021 04:22 PM

So i drove this about 871 miles down the East coast and it was a blast. some things about it and the experience:

1) Stability and control: I was blowing by 53' trailers and felt zero wind turbulence, which is a first for me out of any car i have ever had, including a 2015 M4. Basically, this car hugs the road, tight and gives you tons of confidence.
2) Youve heard this in reviews, but never once did it feel under powered. Thats fact #1. I was thinking about how this would be different than the turbo, i cant imagine needing any more straight line power unless im tracking it regularly...maybe. But then you may compromise on steering.
3) RAS! i did lots of uturns on the road and this thing can turn on a dime (well, figuratively). I dont know what it would be like without RAS, but for practicality and safety, i am super happy about this option
4) The steering column adjustment was a non-issue. Took about 15 minutes, i did it once and then drove it 870 miles, no issue. They'll retro fit that chip, but i doubt i will adjust again. Maybe, but a centimeter here or there.
5) The seats are very comfortable, and were the entire way. My 75 year old dad came along for the ride, didnt complain once about the seats, actually commented on their comfort. Love the hounds tooth fabric, needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.
6) The exterior color is just outstanding with the black contrasts. I am SUPER happy i got chalk. I stand by a comment i made earlier that you cant get a bad color in this car, but i do think some will stand out more than others. Depends on what youre looking for.
7) The car is heavy and you can feel the weight around corners. I did not get PDCC, but wondering now if i should have. Im trying to figure out the physics here; the car would have counter weights and be held more flat but my body would still be impacted by the same G-force because i dont have a counter weight (one day i will for my love handles). I could imagine the seats would grip me more with PDCC, but IDK. Anyway, if youre in doubt about this option, definitely drive a car with and without it, i did not.
8) Radio channel controls. Porsche messed up on this one. My hot key is channel up, but i have to dink with that screen to adjust channels up and down and it did not feel safe. WTF
9) love the feel of the alctantara steering wheel. I do generally like a girthier steering wheel (personal preference but BMW and Audi has done this right), but all in all happy with the wheel
10) I dont know if i look at this car as a daily driver yet. Its a bit of a production when you drive it, i mean, its a GTS...its super duper loud at start up, stiff ass steering lbeit it direct, heavy, low MPG, has ginormous wheels that are easily curbed (if you suck at driving like me) etc. Maybe because its the coupe, and i feel that the regular one would be more daily driver-ish since i test drove that one, IDK. Either way, im not daily driving it based on my work situation. That doesnt mean i dont have the urge to get in it hourly.
11) I figured out what that middle non-seat holder thing is for in the back bench! (see 3rd pic)

All in all I absolutely LOVE this car and am super happy with the decision and wanted to just share my thoughts candidly, hopefully they are helpful! Happy to answer any more questions.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a8246ccdbc.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5599cc78eb.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d774ed2a83.jpg

rj2014 07-22-2021 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by arunym (Post 17564576)
So i drove this about 871 miles down the East coast and it was a blast. some things about it and the experience:

1) Stability and control: I was blowing by 53' trailers and felt zero wind turbulence, which is a first for me out of any car i have ever had, including a 2015 M4. Basically, this car hugs the road, tight and gives you tons of confidence.
2) Youve heard this in reviews, but never once did it feel under powered. Thats fact #1. I was thinking about how this would be different than the turbo, i cant imagine needing any more straight line power unless im tracking it regularly...maybe. But then you may compromise on steering.
3) RAS! i did lots of uturns on the road and this thing can turn on a dime (well, figuratively). I dont know what it would be like without RAS, but for practicality and safety, i am super happy about this option
4) The steering column adjustment was a non-issue. Took about 15 minutes, i did it once and then drove it 870 miles, no issue. They'll retro fit that chip, but i doubt i will adjust again. Maybe, but a centimeter here or there.
5) The seats are very comfortable, and were the entire way. My 75 year old dad came along for the ride, didnt complain once about the seats, actually commented on their comfort. Love the hounds tooth fabric, needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.
6) The exterior color is just outstanding with the black contrasts. I am SUPER happy i got chalk. I stand by a comment i made earlier that you cant get a bad color in this car, but i do think some will stand out more than others. Depends on what youre looking for.
7) The car is heavy and you can feel the weight around corners. I did not get PDCC, but wondering now if i should have. Im trying to figure out the physics here; the car would have counter weights and be held more flat but my body would still be impacted by the same G-force because i dont have a counter weight (one day i will for my love handles). I could imagine the seats would grip me more with PDCC, but IDK. Anyway, if youre in doubt about this option, definitely drive a car with and without it, i did not.
8) Radio channel controls. Porsche messed up on this one. My hot key is channel up, but i have to dink with that screen to adjust channels up and down and it did not feel safe. WTF
9) love the feel of the alctantara steering wheel. I do generally like a girthier steering wheel (personal preference but BMW and Audi has done this right), but all in all happy with the wheel
10) I dont know if i look at this car as a daily driver yet. Its a bit of a production when you drive it, i mean, its a GTS...its super duper loud at start up, stiff ass steering lbeit it direct, heavy, low MPG, has ginormous wheels that are easily curbed (if you suck at driving like me) etc. Maybe because its the coupe, and i feel that the regular one would be more daily driver-ish since i test drove that one, IDK. Either way, im not daily driving it based on my work situation. That doesnt mean i dont have the urge to get in it hourly.
11) I figured out what that middle non-seat holder thing is for in the back bench! (see 3rd pic)

All in all I absolutely LOVE this car and am super happy with the decision and wanted to just share my thoughts candidly, hopefully they are helpful! Happy to answer any more questions.

Gorgeous car and it does look stunning in Chalk. Glad you are enjoying it!
We are leaning towards Chalk on our GTS order too with the high gloss black package but it will be the non coupe GTS.

kayjh 07-22-2021 04:35 PM

Congrats on the new car. I think it is the perfect daily driver. It's as sporty as an suv gets but it carries 5 and all of your stuff. It is a bit loud on startup but that goes away in about 20 seconds and then it is whisper quiet cruising until you step hard on the gas. I'm not sure what you mean by "counter weights" in the PDCC system. It doesn't use any, it stiffens the anti roll bars using a 48V electric motor. While my GTS SUV handles extremely well without it, if I were to order a car and select options, it would be on the list. Expensive to repair if it fails? Which option or feature (air suspension, differential, turbochargers etc.) isn't? Why pick on PDCC? :)

Enjoy your GTS, it is a great choice.

SARGEPUG 07-22-2021 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by pbon (Post 17559155)
I have an 18 M5 and 21 Cayenne S. The M5 is way faster and handles better, but has no personality. I actually like the sound and feel of the little 2.9L TT motor more — it has a little personality. I would have bought the Cayenne Turbo but the SUV is for my wife. We test drove a GTS as a compromise but she thought it sounded like a truck. I am not ready to go to an SUV as my primary driver. Maybe if I also had a 911 Turbo to satisfy my speed need.

Well said and Imagine if you had a GTS, w/ all the performance options that Porsche offers as I do (less the CF brakes). It makes the M5 feel adolescent and disconnected w/ the road.

daveo4porsche 07-22-2021 11:56 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a8246ccdbc.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5599cc78eb.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d774ed2a83.jpg

Its really really hard to go wrong with a Cayenne - wife I just completed 2 day Napa trip (400'ish miles round trip) in our 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - what a car!! Way way way too much power - it's so awesome: PDCC, RWS, Sports Exhaust and the extra oomph of the EV motor make this an all around GEM of an SUV - and so so so comfy for the longer stretches - ACC for SF Bay Area traffic and plenty of oomph for when you get away from the Traffic - I'm thinking pretty much anything other than the base is hard to beat: Cayenne eHybrid, Cayenne S, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - if you options the performance/handling bits it's really really hard to imagine a better SUV you can actually purchase.

14-way seats w/Massage is super duper according to the wife.

SARGEPUG 07-23-2021 02:29 PM

Again, she's a beauty and only other color for me, besides my Black GTS. You got the banana idea from a you tube review, right? I recall seeing it, one of many. :)

arunym 07-23-2021 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 17566337)
Again, she's a beauty and only other color for me, besides my Black GTS. You got the banana idea from a you tube review, right? I recall seeing it, one of many. :)

lol no, but I am now going to look for that video

rj2014 07-30-2021 06:24 PM

Change in plans. We ended up needing a new car lot sooner than we initially expected. Din't find a GTS with the options we want but found a very well optioned Cayenne S with the performance package and the exact color combo we wanted so ended up pulling the trigger on it. After the discount on S, our custom build was going to cost an additional $20k + 6 months wait so just decided to go with this car for now and build a GTS in 1-2 years. Car is on route to Texas and should be here within the next few days. Attaching some pics from the dealer below:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9f094179f4.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...599799ccf5.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bae9dca2f8.jpg

shaginwagon 07-30-2021 08:31 PM

That is a nice find with the performance package, a hard to find option. Your are going to love the truffle/cohiba brown leather. I was in the same boat, I wanted a GTS but could not find one optioned like I wanted in white, and was getting estimates of 6 -9 month wait, so I pulled the trigger on an S with truffle/cohiba and really like it.

rj2014 07-30-2021 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwagon (Post 17579805)
That is a nice find with the performance package, a hard to find option. Your are going to love the truffle/cohiba brown leather. I was in the same boat, I wanted a GTS but could not find one optioned like I wanted in white, and was getting estimates of 6 -9 month wait, so I pulled the trigger on an S with truffle/cohiba and really like it.

Thank you. There was only one available in the country and this one has massage seats as a nice bonus too. Dealer said they usually dont order cars this way but wanted to see how it would sell if they jack it up with options. I paid the deposit on it the day the car arrived at their dealership so I am guessing they will order well optioned cars in the future. Glad you are liking the truffle brown interior. We sat in one few months ago and were very impressed by it.

pbon 07-31-2021 09:01 AM

I really like the S. We have had ours for 12k miles. The engine feels athletic—I like the sound with the standard exhaust and the way it revs and shifts. We have sport chrono but not the performance package. I just put a JB4 on ours to bring the straightline performance into or beyond GTS levels and close to base turbo level.

rj2014 07-31-2021 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by pbon (Post 17580290)
I really like the S. We had had ours for 12k miles. The engine feels athletic—I like the sound with the standard exhaust and the way it revs and shifts. We have sport chrono but not the performance package. I just put a JB4 on ours to bring the straightline performance into or beyond GTS levels and close to base turbo level.

Does JB4 affect your warranty?

pbon 07-31-2021 06:46 PM

Only if you get caught.

rj2014 08-03-2021 08:54 PM

We got our Cayenne S on Sunday evening and already put in about 250 miles on it. I plan on driving a lot over the next couple of weeks to get over with the break-in. Some initial thoughts below:

- The car is amazing. Its got air suspension and rear axle steering along with the sport exhaust. The way this thing handles is incredible. The GTS is obviously going to be more sportier and has a bit more firmer suspension but that does not mean the S is a couch.
- Chassis and suspension tuning on the CS are really really solid. I cannot believe they got an SUV to handle like this. The car feels athletic and you do not get the feeling that you are in a big SUV.
- The car is very quiet and comfortable in comfort mode and feels like a brilliant long distance car. It does not have the noise insulated glass option and I do not want the cabin to be any quieter than this.
- There is some float noticeable in comfort mode but it mostly goes away in sport mode and completely goes away in sport+ mode.
- 21 inch wheels just suit this car better IMO. The ride is very comfortable even with the 21s and the bigger wheels complete the look of the car.
- The V6 twin turbo engine is really good and the sport exhaust sounds amazing. However, you really have to rev it over 4000 rpm in order to get this engine to sing. The car is still under break-in and I am not planning on driving it hard until the first 1000-1500 miles are in. However, I did let it rev to 6-7k rpms a couple of times on some twisty roads and it sounded glorious. I am hoping the exhaust opens up more as I put more miles on it.
- 8 speed transmission is really quick to respond. I have been having a great time using the paddle shifters and the shifts are very quick.
- Low end power is missing but once you get past it, you never feel the lack of power. Highway passing has been effortless.
- Steering is next level in the Porsche. I am so glad I don't have to deal with the Audi steering anymore. I had a love hate relationship with my old car due to this as it was other wise a really good car.
- Club leather is amazing! It just feels leagues above any other car interior I have sat in. We do have two large dogs and they sit in the back seats so we are worried about protecting the leather but I ordered the weather tech seat covers and they should be here soon.
- Massage seats are really nice. Its a must have option if you are getting the 14 way seats. On that note, 14 way seats are some of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.
- Bose audio system is decent and is sufficient enough unless you are an audiophile.

Things I wish this car had:
- V8 engine and better low end power.
- Better low end exhaust note ( It is possible that the exhaust opens up more as I put more miles on this)

I am going to post an updated review after I have a few thousand miles on the car but so far, we are very happy with the purchase.

MitchFindlay 08-03-2021 10:28 PM

We took receipt of our "S" model last Tuesday, and had a nice drive Sunday. We too have 250 miles on it. We were told NOT to exceed 4K RPM's for the first 2000 miles of break-in. I exceeded it a couple times too. Hard not to get this up to speed. We too traded in an Audi (A6) and am most impressed with the car, Even the Wife, who is not a car fan, likes the feel and ride of the Porsche. That is a ultimate compliment as she wanted us to get a MB SUV. We did order the insulated glass, but the exhaust noise is just right and not obtrusive. Doubt The Wife would like anything louder.

We originally order Club Leather, but changed and got 21" Platinum colored rims instead. I never got to feel the Club, so am a bit jealous. Did add some Max Pruder 3D floor mats and a Weathertech cargo liner. Adding a wireless charging station next. Lovely car and we both are lucky to own one.

rj2014 08-04-2021 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by MitchFindlay (Post 17587061)
We took receipt of our "S" model last Tuesday, and had a nice drive Sunday. We too have 250 miles on it. We were told NOT to exceed 4K RPM's for the first 2000 miles of break-in. I exceeded it a couple times too. Hard not to get this up to speed. We too traded in an Audi (A6) and am most impressed with the car, Even the Wife, who is not a car fan, likes the feel and ride of the Porsche. That is a ultimate compliment as she wanted us to get a MB SUV. We did order the insulated glass, but the exhaust noise is just right and not obtrusive. Doubt The Wife would like anything louder.

We originally order Club Leather, but changed and got 21" Platinum colored rims instead. I never got to feel the Club, so am a bit jealous. Did add some Max Pruder 3D floor mats and a Weathertech cargo liner. Adding a wireless charging station next. Lovely car and we both are lucky to own one.

Congrats on your new CS. We are indeed incredibly lucky to own one. Even my wife, who is not a car person loves the way the Porsche drives. Her initial choice was a MB SUV too but we quickly wrote that off after a couple of test drives. We have the optional sport exhaust and can always turn it off if the wife finds it too loud.

Those platinum wheels are very nice looking. We have the 21" cayenne exclusive design wheels in high gloss black. We initially wanted to order the black interior as part of our custom order but were also strongly inclined towards the club leather. Only hesitation against the club leather was due to long term maintenance as we have two dogs.The one we found on the dealer lot had the club leather so we just got it that way. Regarding the 4k rpm limit for the first 2k miles, there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Porsche gives those instructions specifically to the US customers but for a lot of European customers, the manual simply says to take it easy for the first 3k kms or so and makes no mention of RPM limit. Regardless, I am going to just take it easy atleast until the first 1.5k miles and then slowly increase the intensity. It is indeed very hard to not rev an engine that loves to rev high.

s85b50 08-04-2021 08:53 AM

You won't miss a V8 when you shift at 6500rpm full throttle in sport or sport plus mode and the exhaust pops some of the loudest bangs heard from V6s.
Do you shift manually?

Originally Posted by MitchFindlay (Post 17587061)

MitchFindlay 08-04-2021 09:06 AM

No, I have never touched the manual shifters. Why should I use them and SHOULD I use them during the break=in period? We have two road trips planned this month and next, so we will quickly exceed the miles of break-in.

s85b50 08-04-2021 11:26 AM

It is added fun if you used to drive manual transmission, gives better sense of connection. ZF8, unlike PDK, is not the best in terms of response but better than nothing.

As for whether you should use them when breaking in, Porsche recommends driving at various loads (no heavy throttle application) and rpms not exceeding around 5000 rpm, and it is easiest to do this with manual shifts.

Originally Posted by MitchFindlay (Post 17587551)
No, I have never touched the manual shifters. Why should I use them and SHOULD I use them during the break=in period? We have two road trips planned this month and next, so we will quickly exceed the miles of break-in.

kayjh 08-04-2021 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by s85b50 (Post 17587805)
Porsche recommends driving at various loads (no heavy throttle application) and rpms not exceeding around 5000 rpm, and it is easiest to do this with manual shifts.

I didn't read any of that in my Cayenne manual. Mine says to keep the engine speed below 4,000RPM for the first 2,000KMs. Nothing about various loads, varying engine speeds, etc. But, it couldn't hurt.

rj2014 08-04-2021 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by s85b50 (Post 17587805)
It is added fun if you used to drive manual transmission, gives better sense of connection. ZF8, unlike PDK, is not the best in terms of response but better than nothing.

As for whether you should use them when breaking in, Porsche recommends driving at various loads (no heavy throttle application) and rpms not exceeding around 5000 rpm, and it is easiest to do this with manual shifts.

PDK is definitely better but ZF8 in the Cayenne is very responsive. It has come a long way from the old days.

s85b50 08-04-2021 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17587816)
I didn't read any of that in my Cayenne manual. Mine says to keep the engine speed below 4,000RPM for the first 2,000KMs. Nothing about various loads, varying engine speeds, etc. But, it couldn't hurt.

There is less and less explanation from each generation's manual because people generally like things simple, but Porsche used to teach users not to shift before 3000 rpm to avoid engine lugging, something they no longer bother to explain. 4000 rpm for this engine must be where the load increases exponentially, keeping the engine under a certain load will ensure the block does not see unnecessary metal fatigue.

Like all metals, varying loads and engine rpm result in the engine block to go through plastic deformations and wears relevant to loads (or simply put, break-in). How this wear happens determines the long term health of an engine block, as all metals eventually fatigue. Imagine a steel alloy block with a deep crack in the middle vs a block that is evenly worn out throughout a layer of the span. When a load is applied at the midpoint, the latter would likely show higher compressive strength, all other things kept equal. A well-worn engine would be analogous to an evenly worn block.

Technically speaking, if an engine only sees low load, low rpm situations, it would take a long time to build proper clearances adequate for hard driving to which many Pcar drivers aspire. With various rpms under a certain load , it will ensure the block achieves necessary clearances in a given interval (1200miles).

s85b50 08-04-2021 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17587852)
PDK is definitely better but ZF8 in the Cayenne is very responsive. It has come a long way from the old days.

Not for me, it struggles with multiple downshifts when hard braking. Upshifts also have a slight dip in torque because it cannot handle full throttle power shifts, neither of which is an issue with PDK/DCT. It is acceptable for an SUV, but I would never pretend this is a sports car with authentic responses.

kayjh 08-04-2021 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by s85b50 (Post 17587870)
There is less and less explanation from each generation's manual because people generally like things simple, but Porsche used to teach users not to shift before 3000 rpm to avoid engine lugging, something they no longer bother to explain. 4000 rpm for this engine must be where the load increases exponentially, keeping the engine under a certain load will ensure the block does not see unnecessary metal fatigue.

Like all metals, varying loads and engine rpm result in the engine block to go through plastic deformations and wears relevant to loads (or simply put, break-in). How this wear happens determines the long term health of an engine block, as all metals eventually fatigue. Imagine a steel alloy block with a deep crack in the middle vs a block that is evenly worn out throughout a layer of the span. When a load is applied at the midpoint, the latter would likely show higher compressive strength, all other things kept equal. A well-worn engine would be analogous to an evenly worn block.

Technically speaking, if an engine only sees low load, low rpm situations, it would take a long time to build proper clearances adequate for hard driving to which many Pcar drivers aspire. With various rpms under a certain load , it will ensure the block achieves necessary clearances in a given interval (1200miles).

Unless one is a Porsche engineer, who really knows what goes on during the break in process?

But I did read an interesting interview of a Porsche engineer on break in, responding to the question of why owners have to break in new cars when it is well known that the factory tests the vehicle engines at full rpm on the test stand before installing them? The answer has to do with temperature. The engineer explained that the parts need time to wear in with each other and that limiting excessive heat during that period allows for a proper wearing in of the parts.

So why doesn't a high speed engine test run damage the engine at the factory? The engineer says it is because during the brief run ups during testing, they don't allow the engine to get to those higher temperatures that would cause the parts to not wear in properly.

There was nothing from the engineer on the topic of varying engine speeds and loads. I can assume that keeping the engine speed below 4,000 rpm while towing a 5,000 boat up a hill would result in increased heat on components (driveline and engine) that would interfere with a proper low temperature wearing in. But there is nothing in the manual on the topic.

Schnave 08-04-2021 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 17587984)
But I did read an interesting interview of a Porsche engineer on break in . . .

I saw that article too and found it very informative. Thanks for sharing it. A little further down in the article the engineer does mention the need to vary engine speed. Here’s an excerpt:
​​​​​​​When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat and not always in a uniform way. We also constantly vary the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low RPM’s”.

“Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason why Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period; therefore the engine doesn’t get use to one operating temperature range”.
Here’s a link to the full article:

https://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

kayjh 08-04-2021 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Schnave (Post 17588060)
I saw that article too and found it very informative. Thanks for sharing it. A little further down in the article the engineer does mention the need to vary engine speed. Here’s an excerpt:
When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat and not always in a uniform way. We also constantly vary the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low RPM’s”.

“Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason why Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period; therefore the engine doesn’t get use to one operating temperature range”.
Here’s a link to the full article:

https://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

Thanks for that clarification. Maybe Porsche should add a bit more detail in the owner's manual.