Help deciding between S and GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 12:46 AM
Kashimoto
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rj2014
Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.
I think you will get more enjoyment out of the gts and is an easier sell when you decide to move on. Good luck either way!
The following users liked this post:
rj2014 (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

So I never did get a chance to drive a GTS but based on everyone's comments and what my local dealer has suggested about ride quality, I am just going to go with the GTS. Now the only issue is waiting 6+ months on a new build unless I can magically find a GTS that is close enough to what we are looking for in options.

Appreciate everyone's help here and your comments have been very helpful in making a decision.
I believe it's easier to obtain an allocation for a Cayenne GTS over a Coupe GTS, which one are you considering? And no, you cannot remove the CF roof from the Lt wt package. IMO, the CF roof is awesome and adds to the edge of the car and it's pure GTS nature. Don't forget, the GTS line is Porsche's M, AMG, etc. line. It's 100% dedicated to performance and the driver, where as Turbos and the likes, more cater toward those favoring luxury. Perfect example is the Lt Wt sport package. It actually eliminates the rear middle seat and most importantly, it eliminates most of the leather in the seats for the lighter cloth houndstooth! IMO, the houndstooth interior is stunning and further set's her apart from the rest.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:16 PM
rj2014
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I believe it's easier to obtain an allocation for a Cayenne GTS over a Coupe GTS, which one are you considering? And no, you cannot remove the CF roof from the Lt wt package. IMO, the CF roof is awesome and adds to the edge of the car and it's pure GTS nature. Don't forget, the GTS line is Porsche's M, AMG, etc. line. It's 100% dedicated to performance and the driver, where as Turbos and the likes, more cater toward those favoring luxury. Perfect example is the Lt Wt sport package. It actually eliminates the rear middle seat and most importantly, it eliminates most of the leather in the seats for the lighter cloth houndstooth! IMO, the houndstooth interior is stunning and further set's her apart from the rest.

We got a chance to sit in the houndstooth seats the other day and they were stunning. But we are going with the regular GTS as we need the extra space. Paying the deposit next week and we are looking at a Q1 2022 delivery. Hope you are enjoying your new car

Here is the build we are considering
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY9GII0

I am on the fence regarding PDCC mainly due to longer term reliability. I want to keep this car for 8-10 years and its probably going to be my first and last V8 SUV before these engines are discontinued by 2030.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:05 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

We got a chance to sit in the houndstooth seats the other day and they were stunning. But we are going with the regular GTS as we need the extra space. Paying the deposit next week and we are looking at a Q1 2022 delivery. Hope you are enjoying your new car

Here is the build we are considering
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNY9GII0

I am on the fence regarding PDCC mainly due to longer term reliability. I want to keep this car for 8-10 years and its probably going to be my first and last V8 SUV before these engines are discontinued by 2030.
I am ecstatic over my GTS coupe, it's way beyond my expectations! I hear you on the extra space, but since this is my DD and Wifey has a '21 X5 M50i, I don't need it (nor the middle rear seat I lost w/ the lt wt package). Again, being that I came out of an '18 M5, I didn't want to be disappointed, so I loaded her to the gills w/ all the performance goodies. Therefore, on top of the lt wt sport package, I took the PDCC and rear wheel steering. It truly drives on rails and body roll is non existent, to the tune of shaming my M5 when I even had the M in all sport plus. I had her in the city today, aka Manhattan, and she soaked all up w/ authority! Nice build and what are you coming out of??

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 07-12-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 AM
rj2014
Racer

I am ecstatic over my GTS coupe, it's way beyond my expectations! I hear you on the extra space, but since this is my DD and Wifey has a '21 X5 M50i, I don't need it (nor the middle rear seat I lost w/ the lt wt package). Again, being that I came out of an '18 M5, I didn't want to be disappointed, so I loaded her to the gills w/ all the performance goodies. Therefore, on top of the lt wt sport package, I took the PDCC and rear wheel steering. It truly drives on rails and body roll is non existent, to the tune of shaming my M5 when I even had the M in all sport plus. I had her in the city today, aka Manhattan, and she soaked all up w/ authority! Nice build and what are you coming out of??

Coming out of an Audi SQ5. I am probably going to end up ordering the PDCC because like I said, this is going to be with us for a long time and I don't want to have any regrets. Nice to know that it soaked up bumps well. We are moving to the DC area soon and I heard there are a few bad roads there as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by rj2014:
arunym (07-13-2021), SARGEPUG (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 03:46 PM
arunym
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, nice description. Mine is still at the port! AHHH! need it now.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by arunym
Man, nice description. Mine is still at the port! AHHH! need it now.
lol, what's your build?
Old 07-15-2021, 03:57 PM
arunym
Intermediate

lol, what's your build?
Finally hit the dealer, whew! Here is the build. Will def share pics after the weekend when i get to drive it a bit

CanuckGT4 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Finally hit the dealer, whew! Here is the build. Will def share pics after the weekend when i get to drive it a bit
Congrats and you will love it!! Do post!
arunym (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 05:13 PM
Kashimoto
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

love the chalk gts with your spec! Congrats
Old 07-15-2021, 06:58 PM
arunym
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kashimoto
love the chalk gts with your spec! Congrats
Thank you! here is pic 1:

The following 7 users liked this post by arunym:
CanuckGT4 (07-15-2021), daveo4porsche (07-19-2021), DevLep (07-16-2021), Kashimoto (07-16-2021), Laki021 (07-15-2021), rj2014 (07-15-2021), SARGEPUG (07-20-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2021, 08:25 PM
MitchFindlay
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking car. My lowly "S" model arrives next week. Did your GTS arrive without the chip that controls the steering column adjust? Mine will come without that chip. That will be installed at an undetermined future date.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:37 PM
arunym
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MitchFindlay
Great looking car. My lowly "S" model arrives next week. Did your GTS arrive without the chip that controls the steering column adjust? Mine will come without that chip. That will be installed at an undetermined future date.
Your S is just as awesome, im sure youre super excited for it! and yup, no steering column adjustment either. All good, we'll get it retrofitted.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:18 AM
rj2014
Racer

Op here. Finally got to drive a GTS and my god has it been a blast! S and GTS seem pretty much on-par with respect to power but where they differed IMO is the low end grunt and exhaust note. The twin turbo V6 on the S is almost hesitant at lower RPMs while the V8 in GTS was always ready to go. This, IMO, will make a big difference in daily driving. Suspension and handling are much more dialed in on the GTS but the ride was still pretty good in comfort mode. The V8 rumble and exhaust note on the GTS is intoxicating. My wife, who doesn't really care much for driving dynamics is completely sold on the Cayenne steering feel. In comparison, our Audi steering feels very numb and lazy (which it is). Needless to say, I paid the deposit on a custom GTS build. Only downside now is the 6mo wait to get the car.

The GTS we drove did not come with PDCC but it seemed to handle great with very little body roll even in comfort. I really wonder how much better it will be with the PDCC. Although, we do go on long road trips often to the mountains where it might show its true worth on the twisty roads.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:36 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 504 Posts

Op here. Finally got to drive a GTS and my god has it been a blast! S and GTS seem pretty much on-par with respect to power but where they differed IMO is the low end grunt and exhaust note. The twin turbo V6 on the S is almost hesitant at lower RPMs while the V8 in GTS was always ready to go. This, IMO, will make a big difference in daily driving. Suspension and handling are much more dialed in on the GTS but the ride was still pretty good in comfort mode. The V8 rumble and exhaust note on the GTS is intoxicating. My wife, who doesn't really care much for driving dynamics is completely sold on the Cayenne steering feel. In comparison, our Audi steering feels very numb and lazy (which it is). Needless to say, I paid the deposit on a custom GTS build. Only downside now is the 6mo wait to get the car.

The GTS we drove did not come with PDCC but it seemed to handle great with very little body roll even in comfort. I really wonder how much better it will be with the PDCC. Although, we do go on long road trips often to the mountains where it might show its true worth on the twisty roads.
Glad you enjoyed the test drive and you'll have one ordered soon. If it was me, I'd add the PDCC as long as you like the feel of it. Some recent articles say that PDCC (on some vehicles) feels a bit un natural so you might want to try before you buy. I didn't notice anything on the S I test drove last winter. As good as the GTS is, it is still a heavy vehicle and systems like PDCC and RWS are designed to make it handle like it is lighter. I think you might find PDCC more useful in city driving than you think. Rounding 90 degree corners tends to roll vehicles a fair bit and the Cayenne is no exception, although I find my GTS stays pretty flat. I didn't order my car so didn't have the opportunity to pick options. I'd have picked PDCC if I had done a factory order. I drove an S with that option and couldn't believe how flat it cornered.

Quick Reply: Help deciding between S and GTS