Sponsored By:

GTS build critique please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 12:08 AM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GTS build critique please!

After debating between a CPO 2019 Cayenne Turbo and in-stock GTS models, I decided to go for a custom build GTS. I've had a few used Porsches (base Cayman, GT4 and a 911T), but this is my first new Porsche, never mind a custom build, so looking for some insight from current Cayenne owners.

I didn't really care about the extra power from the Turbo and liked the "character" of the GTS - I think I'll enjoy hearing the exhaust note in the extra time it takes getting up to speed on the highway or powering out of corners! My dealer has an allocation for a May build - which locks on Tuesday, so I quickly put the build together this weekend: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM14KFH5

The dealer (the largest in Ontario I think) only had a couple with RAS and none with PDCC or PCCBs, which is what really pushed me to a custom order. The performance options are the most important to me as this will be my only car for awhile with the arrival of my third kid, so the GTS will need to be a dad-mobile and my sportscar for awhile (at least until I can swing that elusive GT3 Touring allocation and spec a rear seat LOL!).

The aspect of the build I debated the most is GTS interior package vs. Black/Bordeaux Red leather. I like the GTS package with red stitching and accents, but it costs almost $3k more than the full leather Black/Bordeaux Red option, so I decided to go with the full leather option. I also opted to add the Bordeaux red sport chrono and tach. Not 100% convinced on this yet, but looked at some pictures of the black/Bordeaux and it seems pretty nice. With the silver exterior, I think it looks pretty sharp, plus I don't have to worry about cleaning up spills from the kids on the Sport-Tex (alcantara), which would be more difficult than leather.

Thanks All!
Old 04-19-2021, 01:08 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

At a $150k CAD build, it is awesome. I have a GTS that stickered at $129k and am very happy. I don’t have pdcc or pccb so that’s $14k difference. But I did order the Perf Package and the Assistance package and am happy with both. You will be very happy with your GTS. GL 👍
Old 04-19-2021, 11:57 AM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

i hate red interiors, other than that looks fine to me.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Living in Canada, you might consider the heated windshield. It is a fairly inexpensive option and Canada seems like a place where it might be useful. Same with rear seat heaters. Those 3 kids would eventually appreciate having those and they aren't expensive.

I also like the ACC, heads up display, and surround view for parking. Those are all a little more expensive and not everyone cares for them. While I included all three, I will assume you thought through each and decided against them.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,453 Likes on 1,554 Posts

I have grey in my Cayenne GTS but Bordeaux / Black in my 992S, both are great - you won't regret the red interior.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
At a $150k CAD build, it is awesome. I have a GTS that stickered at $129k and am very happy. I don’t have pdcc or pccb so that’s $14k difference. But I did order the Perf Package and the Assistance package and am happy with both. You will be very happy with your GTS. GL 👍
Thanks! The Panamera ST is too small for three in the back (no legroom for middle seat), so this is as close as I'll get to a hot wagon from Porsche LOL!

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
i hate red interiors, other than that looks fine to me.
Yeah, I understand - definitely the most red that I would want. Ideal would have been red inserts in the seat centres or all black with red stitching, but those cost $3k or more. I was originally planning on the GTS packaged with red stitching, but wasn't keen on the Alcantara and it costs $3k more than the full leather, so I see it as a good compromise (understanding that a red interior is not for everyone).

Originally Posted by John__C
Living in Canada, you might consider the heated windshield. It is a fairly inexpensive option and Canada seems like a place where it might be useful. Same with rear seat heaters. Those 3 kids would eventually appreciate having those and they aren't expensive.

I also like the ACC, heads up display, and surround view for parking. Those are all a little more expensive and not everyone cares for them. While I included all three, I will assume you thought through each and decided against them.
Good call on the heated windshield. I park inside most of the time, so likely not something I would use a huge amount, but you're right that its a relatively cheap option in the Porsche world. I'll think about that one. For the rear seat heating, the kids will all be in boosters for awhile yet, so that's why I passed on that option.

For the ACC, HUD and surround view I was tempted, but the cost of all those was a pricey and pushed me over my budget - basically I chose to pick performance options over tech options. Hopefully that choice won't bite me when I go to sell or trade it in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have grey in my Cayenne GTS but Bordeaux / Black in my 992S, both are great - you won't regret the red interior.
Thanks! I like that the Bordeaux is a darker red than some of the other red leather interiors of the past from Porsche.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:37 PM
John__C
Instructor

Originally Posted by MFT
For the ACC, HUD and surround view I was tempted, but the cost of all those was a pricey and pushed me over my budget - basically I chose to pick performance options over tech options. Hopefully that choice won't bite me when I go to sell or trade it in a couple of years.
While I really like and appreciate PDCC and RAS, the $10K PCCB wasn't worth it to me. Driving here in NA (where we don't get a chance to really push it like you can in Germany), I find the base GTS breaks are good enough for the way I drive and so I chose the Assist Package instead. You might intend to push yours hard enough to need the upgraded breaks. And there is a certain prestige factor in having the big yellow calipers. But the assist package will certainly have a far larger impact on my actually day-to-day driving experience so I went that direction instead.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:04 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Here is my updated build, which i just finalized today. Love the GTS interior and I love alcantara so I couldn't resist.
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PMRC2FG2
Old 04-20-2021, 12:04 AM
John__C
Instructor

Nice looking build Canuck. Two thumbs up.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:31 AM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John__C
Nice looking build Canuck. Two thumbs up.
Thanks bud!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:48 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Heck no! Bordeaux in '21 GTS and incoming Taycan. It's incredible....
Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 PM
JPando21
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GTS coupe build is PMAR6LN7

Quick Reply: GTS build critique please!