Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking about a 2019+ Base/S... Differences? Must-have Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:55 PM
What911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about a 2019+ Base/S... Differences? Must-have Options?

Some background, I currently have a Tesla Model 3 and a Gen2 R8. The Model 3 is used by the S/O for her daily commute/runaround, and I generally WFH and expect to go to the office once or so a week post-pandemic (don’t really want to show up in an R8). I got the R8 mid-last year and both of us have been working from home so we didn’t need another car. When the S/O needs to go back to regular commuting, I’m thinking of getting an SUV for my daily use, longer road trips (we’ve done some over the past year using both the R8 and the Tesla and both have their obvious shortcomings), Home Depot/IKEA runs, parking at the airport when I travel for work, occasionally ferrying my parents around (both retired, live overseas and visit 1-2 months a year) etc. No kids, no pets. Budget is around $60K-$70K, so on the shortlist are 2017+ Macan GTS, 2019+ Macan S/GTS, 2019+ Cayenne base/S. 2017+ Macan GTS obviously have higher mileage and the older design/infotainment, but I do like the higher levels of equipment (air suspension, sports chrono etc). 2019+ Macan S are less well-equipped and 2020+ Macan GTS are slightly out of budget, so the 9Y0 base/S are currently on the top of my list (digital dash display/center console design, newer infotainment, better rear legroom, larger trunk). Also considered leasing an X5 (can’t ignore BMW’s aggressive leases), but ultimately convinced myself that I don’t mind paying a bit more for a Porsche. Did anyone come from a Macan/X5? Would appreciate your thoughts.

I tried looking at the differences between the base Cayenne and the S and couldn’t find any apart from the engine, so am leaning towards the base. Please correct me if I’m mistaken. I don’t need a fast SUV, ultimately it’s a question of value if the S upgrades are worth the price delta. Went to the local dealership yesterday to look at their inventory (none) and asked about discounts on new builds (none), so I’m looking at CPOs that fit in the budget. Don’t mind looking at out-of-state cars either as long as I can get someone to check for visual red-flags or get a PPI.

Looking at the online configurator, the non-negotiable options IMO are the premium package plus, steering wheel heating, and 21”+ wheels for the body-colored extensions. For y’all current 9Y0 base/S owners, what other options do you consider to be must-have?

I’m in no rush to buy, but will jump on the right car with the right color/options. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome, TIA!

Last edited by What911; 04-04-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:04 PM
Gaucho
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the numbers on base, S and hybrid. If you do not need the HP necessarily but have been driving E cars in the past, the hybrid is the best option - you get the mix of all. The base in very nice but in my opinion a bit under power. The S is a significant price increase over the base with the same options. The hybrid, when you throw in the Fed rebate, is just a couple of thousand dollars above the base with all the benefits of the S and then some. Just my $0.02.
The following users liked this post:
What911 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 09:24 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

I think you're thinking correctly OP. If you're happy with the base engine's power and you'd be spec'ing the same options, why spend more?
The following 2 users liked this post by icemang:
Tedster (04-07-2021), What911 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 04:18 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally agree with non-negotiable options except the wheels. I'm not a big wheel guy though (pun intended). I'd add adaptive cruise control. I use it in traffic all the time.
Other things to consider: roof rails (can't add later), tow hitch (harder to add later), and thermal / noise glass. It makes life more comfortable.

I had a Base for 6 months and now own an S - both are great. Handling is awesome in all the Cayenne's and better than the X5 by far. I've had a Macan too but the space is simply too small for a family. For you and yours it might be perfect. A macan still has more space than either of your cars. Same options are necessary though.

For CPO, look at the used porsche locator. It's super helpful to find and locate the right package and with the peace of mind of the CPO and low miles, you don't have to worry about the car. You can always get things fixed under warranty.
What911 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 AM
MitchFindlay
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless your visiting family members are real short, they probably won't fit very well in the back seat of a Macan. I test drove a Macan and Cayenne. Loved the Macan until I looked in the back seat and realized there was no room for an adult back there. Hence, I ordered a Cayenne. Finally ordered the "S" model just to get something peppier than the base, which drove just like my older X5.
The following 2 users liked this post by MitchFindlay:
Rich_Jenkins (04-07-2021), What911 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:23 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I second Gaucho's remark that the Cayenne E-Hybrid sounds the best for you. It has more power than the S, is cheaper to buy, has more stuff standard than the S, and it gives you that option to just drive around locally, doing errands, etc., in slow driving in all-electric (E-Power) mode without the ICE coming on at all... Saves a lot of trips to gas stations, too.
What911 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:50 PM
What911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gaucho
Do the numbers on base, S and hybrid. If you do not need the HP necessarily but have been driving E cars in the past, the hybrid is the best option - you get the mix of all. The base in very nice but in my opinion a bit under power. The S is a significant price increase over the base with the same options. The hybrid, when you throw in the Fed rebate, is just a couple of thousand dollars above the base with all the benefits of the S and then some. Just my $0.02.
I think you can only get the Fed rebate on new cars? I’m less inclined to spend on new builds when discounts are not there, so most likely going the CPO route. I tried looking at CPO E-Hybrids and their values seem to still be in low-to-mid 80s with original MSRP of over $90K-$95K generally before the Fed rebate, which is a tad over what I want to spend on a utility vehicle.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 AM
What911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PDX991
Totally agree with non-negotiable options except the wheels. I'm not a big wheel guy though (pun intended). I'd add adaptive cruise control. I use it in traffic all the time.
Other things to consider: roof rails (can't add later), tow hitch (harder to add later), and thermal / noise glass. It makes life more comfortable.

I had a Base for 6 months and now own an S - both are great. Handling is awesome in all the Cayenne's and better than the X5 by far. I've had a Macan too but the space is simply too small for a family. For you and yours it might be perfect. A macan still has more space than either of your cars. Same options are necessary though.

For CPO, look at the used porsche locator. It's super helpful to find and locate the right package and with the peace of mind of the CPO and low miles, you don't have to worry about the car. You can always get things fixed under warranty.
I do like big wheels, to a certain extent (e.g. I wouldn’t put 24” on a Cayenne). Roof rails and tow hitch are pretty common on the base cars. I did some research on the roof rails and when I found out that they couldn’t be added later on as you mentioned, I added that to my list. I do prefer the cleaner look without the tow hitch (I read that every car comes standard with preparation to tow so it can be added later). ACC and the Thermal/Noise Glass are harder to find on base cars, though.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:52 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, it's not like the car is noisy or hot without that glass. I decided to spend my money on other stuff.

Last edited by icemang; 04-06-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:33 AM
zio
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

My must haves on my Cayenne S were 21” spyder wheels and adaptive cruise control. Easy to find by just looking at the pics. The base felt underpowered, a lot like my wife’s old X5 3.0. Beyond those options, it was all about color combo. I was able to source a used S out of state for $10k less than I would have paid in Nor Cal.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:05 AM
MitchFindlay
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree the S offers more power than our 6 cylinder X-5 too. Just ordered new with 21" wheels, PASM, rear wheel steering and insulated glass.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:00 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by What911
Don’t mind looking at out-of-state cars either as long as I can get someone to check for visual red-flags or get a PPI. . .
I’m in no rush to buy, but will jump on the right car with the right color/options. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome, TIA!
Great strategy, especially when looking for specific color / option combinations. I’ve purchased four vehicles out of state and found the exact color / options I desired. Why limit yourself to local vehicles when you can search the entire nation?

A reputable seller will be happy to drive the vehicle to a mechanic of your choice for a PPI. Prices for PPI’s ranged from $200 at an indy to $225-$285 at Porsche dealerships. In my case, the PPI proved valuable and eliminated an otherwise beautiful Cayenne Turbo for mechanical issues. Note that a PPI doesn’t specifically cover cosmetic issues, especially at Porsche dealerships. An indy will likely cover cosmetics in more detail. However, a good seller will be happy to FaceTime and move the camera around the vehicle in accordance with your directions; zooming in on any cosmetic issues for a close inspection.

Another advantage, depending on your state’s DMV is the sales tax reciprocity. My state, Virginia, has a sales tax rate of 4.15%. Virginia exempts this tax if you show proof of paying sales tax in another state. I purchased a Cayenne in Alabama and paid the 2% Alabama tax. I saved 2.15% in taxes. 👍🏼 This more than offset the cost of airline ticket, hotels, and fuel costs to drive it home.

Conversely, if the state in which you purchase your vehicle has a tax rate higher than your state, claim the out-of-state buyer’s exemption and pay (in my case) 4.15% tax to Virginia.

What911 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 PM
What911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
Great strategy, especially when looking for specific color / option combinations. I’ve purchased four vehicles out of state and found the exact color / options I desired. Why limit yourself to local vehicles when you can search the entire nation?

A reputable seller will be happy to drive the vehicle to a mechanic of your choice for a PPI. Prices for PPI’s ranged from $200 at an indy to $225-$285 at Porsche dealerships. In my case, the PPI proved valuable and eliminated an otherwise beautiful Cayenne Turbo for mechanical issues. Note that a PPI doesn’t specifically cover cosmetic issues, especially at Porsche dealerships. An indy will likely cover cosmetics in more detail. However, a good seller will be happy to FaceTime and move the camera around the vehicle in accordance with your directions; zooming in on any cosmetic issues for a close inspection.

Another advantage, depending on your state’s DMV is the sales tax reciprocity. My state, Virginia, has a sales tax rate of 4.15%. Virginia exempts this tax if you show proof of paying sales tax in another state. I purchased a Cayenne in Alabama and paid the 2% Alabama tax. I saved 2.15% in taxes. 👍🏼 This more than offset the cost of airline ticket, hotels, and fuel costs to drive it home.

Conversely, if the state in which you purchase your vehicle has a tax rate higher than your state, claim the out-of-state buyer’s exemption and pay (in my case) 4.15% tax to Virginia.
Agreed. My R8 was purchased out-of-state and I had an Indy PPI done before picking it up in person. I've heard that some dealerships don't do PPI anymore due to liability concerns. Good to know about the sales tax reciprocity. I just checked and it doesn't apply to the state I live in.

I actually closed a deal on a CPO 2020 with <7K miles (ex-loaner) with the dealer where I previously purchased my 911 (it was my local dealer back then, but I have moved states since). It has Premium Plus, Steering Wheel Heating and 21" RS Spyders, so basically everything I wanted, in my first choice color combo, just missing roof rails but I can live without. Had one of my buddies (who has a 993 and 964) FaceTime me on exterior/interior condition and did a quick drive to make sure there're no rattles etc. I'm located in a smaller market and my local dealer just brought in a base via a trade-in a couple days ago. It's a 2020 and has a $3K higher MSRP (mostly gloss black trim $), 25K miles, they'll CPO it so similarly equipped, and they're listing it for a couple grand more than what I paid for mine. Crazy what supply and demand can do in a larger vs. smaller market...
I'm having it shipped enclosed, so now just patiently waiting on the transporter to pick it up!

Last edited by What911; 04-07-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:12 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Well done; smart to have your friend inspect the Cayenne for you! Enjoy your Cayenne - it’s worth the wait. 😃
What911 (04-07-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Congrats!

Now need pictures.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 2019+ Base/S... Differences? Must-have Options?