Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bought a new 2021 Autel MaxiCOM MK906BT Diagnostic Scanner from Amazon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 02:44 AM
8378hjlafdljfads
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the T-Design module installed on my Turbo with Sports Chrono. It is the best mod I've done to the car. Seamless. Easy to install. No warranty issues.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:09 AM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As I mentioned, for me, individual is great for what I want activated (other than the spoiler which I just can’t set to work on individual for some reason) as norm, sport and sport-plus, offer the right balance in their modes.
Its annoying that the spoiler button is shown Schnave when individual drive mode is selected for setting up yet it won’t accept my command? Could it be that individual only accepts a max of two instructions i.e. engine and spoiler or stop-start and exhaust? Sport engine switches on exhaust but I don’t want sport else I would select sport on the mode switch
Old 02-15-2022, 11:35 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Addbuyer
As I mentioned, for me, individual is great for what I want activated (other than the spoiler which I just can’t set to work on individual for some reason) as norm, sport and sport-plus, offer the right balance in their modes.
Its annoying that the spoiler button is shown Schnave when individual drive mode is selected for setting up yet it won’t accept my command? Could it be that individual only accepts a max of two instructions i.e. engine and spoiler or stop-start and exhaust? Sport engine switches on exhaust but I don’t want sport else I would select sport on the mode switch
Hello Addbuyer. I didn’t set my spoiler in Individual mode. I use AS/S OFF and PSE ON for Individual. That was a random screenshot of the Drive Setting page I used to highlight the Save icon. But you’ve got me wondering if the spoiler is configurable.

Good enough reason for a test drive tomorrow! I’ll perform a test and report results. Stand by . . .
The following users liked this post:
Addbuyer (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:51 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

There is a thread in coding the E3 Cayenne with some good info in it for those who have at least the Autel MS906BT or Launch X431 V level of tool or those companies’ fancier versions or the PIWIS 3. I am not a geek so I have to follow what others do. I did just code in the boost display at the bottom of the cluster that displays the column of 4 engine operating parameters so I can now see the boost psi. I did also see a coding option that looked like it was for the spoiler, which I don’t have on my Cayenne S. I was looking for the seatbelt warning but could not find it unfortunately. I saw an option only for the rear seatbelts.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:55 AM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

I see some comments in their docs that this device doesn’t work for Porsche vehicles after 2019… seems a shame as getting rid of that *** behavior would be worth the price by itself.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:13 PM
pbon
Racer

Originally Posted by pinion
I see some comments in their docs that this device doesn’t work for Porsche vehicles after 2019… seems a shame as getting rid of that *** behavior would be worth the price by itself.
My Cayenne S is a 2021. My Autel MS906BT is a 2021 version but all updates have been run in 2022. Where these tools get you is the update cost. I bought mine for $1100 with 2 years of updates included. After that updates are about $500 per year. I don’t know what functionality you lose if you don’t update but I do notice that when I do coding it asks to make sure I am connected to the network. MYbe some features are cloud based. Don’t know.
pinion (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:03 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

My worry based on their description was that Porsche may have modified/locked down some of the coding abilities in the newer 2019+ Cayennes in some way… and the descriptions of these devices seem to be written with a lot of wiggle room for features that might only work on a few cars. I would be interested in seeing one of these ran against a new 2022 to see what is still possible.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM
pbon
Racer

I have a 2021 not a 2022 so I don’t know. I have read about car makers moving to subscription based options in the future (some maybe doing this already). When that happens, I assume the car makers will take steps to make sure an owner can’t simply code the option and bypass the annual fees.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Addbuyer
Hey Addbuyer — I just completed a test drive. I tested the maximum number of settings selectable and if the spoiler can be selected for Individual mode.
  • I could save all selectable parameters to Individual Mode. In my case, AS/S, PSE, Spoiler, Chassis Height and Chassis Mode. There appears to be no maximum limit to selectable items.
  • When changing back to Normal Mode, all parameters reverted to Default Normal setting EXCEPT the spoiler. It remained extended, both while driving and while stopped. This diminishes the usefulness of saving spoiler to Individual mode.
  • This is consistent with spoiler behavior during Sport+ mode. It automatically extends at speed yet requires manual retraction once stopped.
See screen grabs below.

INDIVIDUAL MODE:

Same screen after selecting Normal (O) mode. Note the spoiler remains extended:

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Schnave; 02-16-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:24 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

I do not recommend AUTEL systems any more because of their deceptive advertising, where they don't mention that key features of their devices (Coding, ECU, etc) will stop working without an active subscription.

AUTEL
WILL DISABLE KEY Coding, ECU, etc. FEATURES WITHOUT AN ACTIVE $~700.00 YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION.!!

Below is AUTEL's response on the MK906BT, and where I am not able to use key features any more because it requires an online connection that can happen only with a valid subscription.

"We are really sorry that is Autel's marketing strategy, for all the Autel diagnostic tablets, there are annual fee. Only advanced functions such as ECU Coding/ Programming functions will be limited if not renewed because to code/ program a new ECU, that requires access to Autel online server, if the one doesn't renew the software, he can't access to Autel server data to process the coding or programming. The subscription fee is charged by Autel. "
Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM
Addbuyer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow after a years use you end up with a $1300 paper weight
PorscheACC (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 03:34 PM
pbon
Racer

Autel and Launch both charge annual subscription fees for their higher level scan tools. Launch might be a little less but both are hundreds of dollars depending on the tool. Not sure what tool that does this is free — maybe PIWIS 3 but it is expensive to buy. Perhaps there are copies of the PIWIS 3 software you can get for free or near free online and copies of the cable you can get fairly cheap. I know that is the case for BMW’s counterpart.

Maybe best to borrow a tool or pay a coder if use is very limited. I was aware of the subscription costs since it is in all the advertising I have seen. But they don’t tell you clearly what features you will
lose if you do not subscribe.

The world is going to cloud computing. You are renting your software more and more.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:10 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by pbon
Autel and Launch both charge annual subscription fees for their higher level scan tools. Launch might be a little less but both are hundreds of dollars depending on the tool. Not sure what tool that does this is free — maybe PIWIS 3 but it is expensive to buy. Perhaps there are copies of the PIWIS 3 software you can get for free or near free online and copies of the cable you can get fairly cheap. I know that is the case for BMW’s counterpart.

Maybe best to borrow a tool or pay a coder if use is very limited. I was aware of the subscription costs since it is in all the advertising I have seen. But they don’t tell you clearly what features you will
lose if you do not subscribe.

The world is going to cloud computing. You are renting your software more and more.
If you see AUTEL responding on their sales sites to what happens when your subscription expires, they state that everything will work fine without only software updates.

For Cloud software , you don't pay ~$700.00 each year for a device that costs just $1000. You don't buy the entire device every year..

If AUTEL does not state that all the device online features, and not only software updates, will be disabled, that is deceptive advertising..

They string you for a year with misleading statements, and then your AUTEL device key online futures get bricked/disabled, so now you are forced to pay ~$700.00 or your $1000 device will become a cheap $100 device..

Quick Reply: Bought a new 2021 Autel MaxiCOM MK906BT Diagnostic Scanner from Amazon.