Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne 3.0T JB4 - Wow, Mind blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 03:28 PM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok so I was finally able to go for a test drive after setting to Map 3. There is definitely an improvement in response and power for sure. Nothing dramatic but enough to say that a difference can be felt. One negative aspect that I noted was while in sport plus mode and during acceleration with part to light throttle there is an abrupt jolt felt at times during an automatic upshift from 1-2 and from.2-3..Did you feel that with yours?
Old 09-08-2024, 06:58 PM
fifthBro
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upshifts on mine are fine (tried it today), l I experienced jumpy 1/2 and 2/3 shifts on other cars with JB4 (i.e. AMG etc). Perhaps the electric motor in mine smooths the power curve.

I always assumed that the downside of tuning boxes is that tranny still thinks it’s dealing with lower hp/tq so may shifts late and sometimes slip the clutch. But I guess it’s not as simple with modern transmissions and ZF has adaptive capabilities so maybe you need to give it some time.

JB4 also tries to prevent overboosts during shifts it in its firmware, on some platforms users are adjusting “auto shift boost redux“ setting that controls the boost curve during shifts.

Do you experunce this only on map3 only and if so, is there diffence after cold start (jb4 should be idle) and when the car warms up (jb4 should start increasing the boost target).

I am not an expert, but in any case I would not expect it to happen at lower throttle/pedal values, as JB4 should be disabled . Just to double check if you have ODB connected and the latest firmware on JB4?

And once again, worth capturing the log and asking BMS to review.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:27 PM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove the car a bit more this weekend and the shifting has now "improved" from a jolt to more of a shudder.

The car has a total of 620 miles on the odometer with the JB$ and intake installed at around 560 miles.

Perhaps it just needs to "learn" and adapt.

I do NOT have the OBD connected at this time but do plan to soon.

Also plan on running maps 4/5 when I connect the 2 other sensors.

How does the E85 mix work?

Do you run a full tank of E85 or partial?
Old 09-09-2024, 04:13 PM
fifthBro
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E30M3
I drove the car a bit more this weekend and the shifting has now "improved" from a jolt to more of a shudder.

The car has a total of 620 miles on the odometer with the JB$ and intake installed at around 560 miles.

Perhaps it just needs to "learn" and adapt.

I do NOT have the OBD connected at this time but do plan to soon.

Also plan on running maps 4/5 when I connect the 2 other sensors.

How does the E85 mix work?

Do you run a full tank of E85 or partial?
Sorry, didn’t’ realize that you didn’t have ODB connected, that should definitely help.

Also BMS advised me that connecting BCM and Fuel should give much smoother power delivery on map1-3 (even if officially you only need them for E-mix/map4-5).

Apparently it’s also not recommended to run JB4 with BCM and Fuel connected but without ODB on anything higher than map0.

I run map4 on EU 99 octane and after a lot of testing it was fine (had to adjust FF Wastegate adaptation setting from 60 to 100).

I haven’t run any ethanol mixes so can’t help. But I seem to remember that on other AUDI/VW cars in this engine group BMS recommends mix of 5 gal to a full tank of fuel with map 4 and 5. Worth triple checking with them.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 3.0T JB4 - Wow, Mind blown