Instrument cluster too bright at night

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Instrument cluster too bright at night

Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I took a long trip today in her 2020 Cayenne S. I drove the last shift as the sun was setting going to darkness and found the instrument cluster (especially the tachometer) and the PCM screen way too bright. We stopped at a rest area and adjusted the cluster and PCM screen both to -5, but it was still too bright for me. The tach did not seem to dim at all. Anyone else have this issue?

I have had a Cayman S and GT4 in the past and currently have a Macan S and a 991.2 911. All of these cars allow the instruments to be dimmed sufficiently for me.
The following users liked this post:
DKSki (12-13-2022)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:28 AM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, that became in issue with the 2019 model and there has been a lot written about it here.

The 2018 had a little **** to adjust the panel brightness. That **** disappeared on the 2019s, and now we’re stuck with the PCM limitations. It is frustrating.

Another ridiculous change from the 18 to 19 was making the headlights default to Auto, and can’t be overridden. If you’re driving somewhere at night where you’re asked to dim your headlights, you just have to say “I can’t. It’s a Porsche.”
Old 09-06-2020, 12:07 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by bretster
Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I took a long trip today in her 2020 Cayenne S. I drove the last shift as the sun was setting going to darkness and found the instrument cluster (especially the tachometer) and the PCM screen way too bright. We stopped at a rest area and adjusted the cluster and PCM screen both to -5, but it was still too bright for me. The tach did not seem to dim at all. Anyone else have this issue?
There is a separate thread about the tach/cluster/PCM dimming issue. I believe you have to dim the interior lights to lower the brightness of the tach. It's weirdthat the tach doesn't dim with the rest of the cluster, but that may be the result of Porsche having implemented the tach physically while the rest of the cluster is virtual. Whatever the reason why the tach and cluster dim separately, it didn't have to work this way but there it is.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:12 PM
bretster
Instructor

Sorry, flipped through recent threads and did not see it.

Search is my friend...
Search is my friend...

Old 09-06-2020, 04:33 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bretster
Sorry, flipped through recent threads and did not see it.

Search is my friend...
Search is my friend...
Happens to all of us. If you can’t find it, let me know and I’ll take a look - all I have to do is look at my own posts to find that thread.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:03 PM
bretster
Instructor

Here is the link to the other thread detailing how to dim all of the different instruments:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...rightness.html

Old 11-26-2020, 06:20 PM
whynot?
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bretster - did that work for you? I tried and still couldn't get the level of brightness to change much (if at all). I've followed the instructions posted here and, of course the owner's manual. REALLY frustrating - shouldn't be this difficult for such a routine function.........
The following users liked this post:
DKSki (12-13-2022)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:32 PM
8378hjlafdljfads
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem and the solution is indeed on this forum. the solution is here! It CAN be done!

Originally Posted by KT88 [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
So, Vehicle Settings > Light and visibility > Interior lighting > Brightness gets you to a dial to globally reduce or increase the interior lighting (not ambient lighting) which in this case includes: the tach, the PCM screen and all back-lit items like the door panel memory, the console as well as the two displays on either side of the tach.

The PCM screen then can be set independently to be "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Also, the two screens to either side of the Tach can also be independently "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Sorry I did not record the offset instructions, but they are easy to find ... I can follow up if any questions on those.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:47 AM
whynot?
Cruisin'

Thanks - I will try it today. By the way, what is "offset?"
Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 PM
whynot?
Cruisin'

Well, I did the steps you described, got to the same "global dial" I've been to before, adjusted it all the way down to "0%" and could maybe tell a little difference. I also adjusted the dial settings all the way up (100%) and down several times to determine if I could see the brightness changing - not much change if any.

It's disappointing to think this is Porsche's idea of adjusting the brightness of the dash lights. My Q5 has a better system - a convenient **** (that can be recessed) and lights that actually do dim adequately AND at half the cost.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:48 PM
eduq
AutoX

And yes you can switch off the auto headlights choosing the daylights buttom (buttom right next to the 'auto').
Have done this while visiting a movie drive-inn;
Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 PM
whynot?
Cruisin'

It worked - the dash lights dimmed enough EXCEPT for the tach. I read elsewhere on this site that setting is supposedly tied to the interior lights adjustment?!

And, what about offset - it sounds like a way of setting different levels of brightness for different gauges?

Any feedback is appreciated - thanks
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whynot?
It worked - the dash lights dimmed enough EXCEPT for the tach. I read elsewhere on this site that setting is supposedly tied to the interior lights adjustment?!

And, what about offset - it sounds like a way of setting different levels of brightness for different gauges?

Any feedback is appreciated - thanks
The tach lighting is tied to the interior ambient lighting. Yesterday I reduced that ambient lighting to the lowest possible level. And the tach was still brighter than the surrounding instrument cluster.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:41 PM
whynot?
Cruisin'

What - the ambient lighting! Ambient light is a cool feature that shouldn't be tied to (of all things) the tach. What in the world is that correlation......

But, thanks for the feedback, I'll resume the lighting quiz tomorrow and report back.

Old 11-30-2020, 02:04 AM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eduq
And yes you can switch off the auto headlights choosing the daylights buttom (buttom right next to the 'auto').
Have done this while visiting a movie drive-inn;
Was your car moving when you dimmed he headlights? I can override the auto by doing that when stopped, but that’s too late for the intended courtesy. The manual says you have to be essentially stopped to disengage auto.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster too bright at night