Sponsored By:

Full Leather Interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 10:28 PM
valexena
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Leather Interior

We bought Cayenne 2020 in June with Full Leather Interior Package. Car has only 600 miles and on both driver and passenger seats leather terribly stretched.
I am attaching image. We did not have Porsche before, but all our previous cars had leather and after 10 years using leather was not stretched.
I am wondering is it defect on our particular car or the other Cayennes have this issue.
Hope that someone would respond on this message because we are very upset & don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 387 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the Bordeaux red full leather interior and nothing like that on my seats after a year and 11,500 miles. It looks to me as if something in the back pockets of the person sitting in that seat putting pressure? I am sure with just 600 miles your dealer would handle under warranty. They can easily order a new seat cover and replace.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:28 AM
hdawg
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by valexena
We bought Cayenne 2020 in June with Full Leather Interior Package. Car has only 600 miles and on both driver and passenger seats leather terribly stretched.
I am attaching image. We did not have Porsche before, but all our previous cars had leather and after 10 years using leather was not stretched.
I am wondering is it defect on our particular car or the other Cayennes have this issue.
Hope that someone would respond on this message because we are very upset & don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance!
i have exactly the same issue . Porsche say this is normal and a characteristic of leather seats . My local dealership sent me pictures of another brand new car in the showroom which had exactly the same .
Thay said my local dealership did say they would document my complaint and send it to head office in stuttgart but given covid this was all put on hold until november.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

Seems like way more stretch than should be expected. I don’t have full leather On my 2019 e-hybrid, but I have the premium plus package with the 14-way seats and here’s what mine look like after 13k miles.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:19 PM
valexena
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Leather Interior Package

Originally Posted by meyecul
I have the Bordeaux red full leather interior and nothing like that on my seats after a year and 11,500 miles. It looks to me as if something in the back pockets of the person sitting in that seat putting pressure? I am sure with just 600 miles your dealer would handle under warranty. They can easily order a new seat cover and replace.
Thank you for respond.
I don't have any back pockets, so this is not an issue.
We took the car to dealer and manager said that it is normal though obvious it is not.
As a result, we don't know what to do.
Thank you again, it helps, because now I am sure this is not normal for new car.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:32 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 387 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by valexena
Thank you for respond.
I don't have any back pockets, so this is not an issue.
We took the car to dealer and manager said that it is normal though obvious it is not.
As a result, we don't know what to do.
Thank you again, it helps, because now I am sure this is not normal for new car.
Something you can try. Lightly damp in a clean soft cloth and blot it onto the seat where the dimples are nothing overly wet just enough to give it a light dampness. Then take a hairdryer and use the heat from the dryer to go over the dimples until dry. Or if you’re in a hot climate dampen that seat and put the car out in the direct hot sun (so sun is hitting seat) and let it dry naturally. Often this will tighten up stretched leather.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

That does not look right. I have a 2020 Hybrid with 18way seats with full leather and nothing like that. I would continue to argue with the dealer that this is not normal. Apply the squeaky wheel tactic.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:30 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have full leather, 1 year old and 13k miles and my seats look like new and color is chalk, of course you will get the same answer " normal " when they don't want to replace the part lol, that looks bad for only 600 miles, do you have pictures of the seat when you bought the car? never had that issue before and I owned 2- 958 and 2-9yo, go and tell them to let you see new and used cars, that way you will have a better idea, or ask them if they have a local shop for upholstery, my local dealer one time recommended one for a RRS I was having similar issues, but I ended up buying the cushion and the new leather from eBay, but yours Is a brand new car not even to consider that.
The following users liked this post:
Bobego (10-13-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:44 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

Agreed. Does not look normal. I would bring her in for a warranty appointment.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Frankly this is a border-line issue. The change on the leather in this case is a bit on the high side but not entirely abnormal. Audi had a much worse case in many of the natural leather Audi TTs and I am not aware they ever accepted to replace (maybe few exceptions).
The other issue here is the hassle of replacement and it might still look different because of the variations in the leather dying process, which might not be entirely consistent from batch to batch. Leatherette is a lot more consistent and resists sagging a lot more vs full natural leather.
I just took a look at mine (cayenne Turbo full leather 18 way) and there is some change in the same area albeit to a less extent. But still the natural leather will always exhibit somewhat different physical properties from one batch to the other.
In my Audi TT, I learned to live with it and enjoyed the rest of what the car had to offer. The next Audi I specced Alcantara which solved the issue.

Last edited by Hmet; 08-31-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:10 PM
Squeaky65
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this a lease or a purchase? If it’s a lease, I could see Porsche not replacing it; it’s their car, you’re just renting it.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky65
Is this a lease or a purchase? If it’s a lease, I could see Porsche not replacing it; it’s their car, you’re just renting it.
um, what? It doesn't matter whether its a purchase or lease and that does not play into their warranty decisions.

OP, keep escalating the matter until you get a resolution. That is excessive. Make enough noise and you'll get it replaced.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Agreed, this is not normal by any stretch (pun intended) of the imagination. Sorry Hmet but you're wrong on all counts. Lease versus buy make no difference here. Also do not worry about color changes, all vehicle mfrs that use leather have very strict quality and color requirements between leather sources. Get the seat cover replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Hmet (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Natural leather is softer and is more prone to deformation. I suspect the non sagging seat example shown above is not natural leather.
OP i hope you find a solution that satisfies you, please let us know how this pans out with the dealer.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Hmet
Instructor

I am attaching here the image that I just took for the driver seat (some sagging) and the passenger seat (hardly any). The car has 10 K miles on it, but I mostly drive alone back and forth to work.
I still think the sagging is on the high side, and attaching those images as a reference that might help you convince the dealer of your case.

Quick Reply: Full Leather Interior