Sponsored By:

GTS vs, S

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 06:58 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts
Default GTS vs, S

I need some opinions and advice. My current Cayenne is a '19 Base with 10K miles and I'm going to trade it on either a '21 GTS or '21 S both would be ordered. The MSRPs would be $119,000 vs $104,000. Both Carrera White with Chalk/Blue interior.
Really having a tough time deciding what to do here. I'm guessing but not sure that the GTS will feel sig. stronger than the S but I'm not certain of that and would look for opinions, I like powerful vehicles and have about 400+ drag strip passes under my belt but am not looking for a strip car here.
In a nutshell, is the GTS worth 15 grand more with the options being cheaper on the GTS?
Thanks for any suggestions or insights here.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:03 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

GTS worth $15K more? Definitely. Your difference is going to be way bigger than $15K though. I'm guessing probably more to the tune of $50K (I'm ballpark guessing they'll give you $70K for your S). And that's not including taxes that you have to pay. At that amount I wouldn't feel trading into a GTS is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Marker1 (08-03-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
In a nutshell, is the GTS worth 15 grand more?
2.9 V6 vs 4.0 V8, YES!! Worth every penny.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:39 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
GTS worth $15K more? Definitely. Your difference is going to be way bigger than $15K though. I'm guessing probably more to the tune of $50K (I'm ballpark guessing they'll give you $70K for your S). And that's not including taxes that you have to pay. At that amount I wouldn't feel trading into a GTS is worth it.
15k is difference between msrps of the two models he's looking at, not difference between trade in and price of new.

If the GTS was just a tuned up 2.9 then I would say it's not worth it. Since it comes with a detuned Turbo model engine and it's the same engine in the RSQ8 then I would say it's more than worth it! You also get better suspension tuning and transmission tuning. It will be a blast!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:21 AM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
15k is difference between msrps of the two models he's looking at, not difference between trade in and price of new.

If the GTS was just a tuned up 2.9 then I would say it's not worth it. Since it comes with a detuned Turbo model engine and it's the same engine in the RSQ8 then I would say it's more than worth it! You also get better suspension tuning and transmission tuning. It will be a blast!
That really puts it in a meaningful perspective. I wasn't aware of the fact that it was the same engine setup as the RSQ8 which is priced a good bit above the GTS. Better engine, suspension, and transmission tuning is all worth alot.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:03 AM
smporsche
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GTS all the way. And just look at the thing in coupe form!

Old 07-13-2020, 11:06 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by smporsche

Beautiful!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by smporsche

Oh yeah, Coupe for sure. I would not order that "light weight package" as I don't care for the more central exiting exhaust and it really doesn't save any sig amount of weight.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I would say GTS too. They are just more sought after in the long run too. Also, always special features like riding lower etc.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go GTS all the way, because of the engine plus the cosmetic enhancements. I haven’t studied the new GTS enough to know what comes standard that you’d add to the S. Usually there are a few or more things. If so, that price gap closes some and the GTS will always be worth more when it’s time to sell or trade it.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
That really puts it in a meaningful perspective. I wasn't aware of the fact that it was the same engine setup as the RSQ8 which is priced a good bit above the GTS. Better engine, suspension, and transmission tuning is all worth alot.
Funny thing. RSQ8 is nearly identical in price and loaded up the GTS costs more. I don't know how a RSQ8 handles but after seeing it time a damn good time on the Nurburgring I would assume pretty well.

GTS sounds better though which is interesting.
Booth9999 (11-22-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

In my opinion the GTS trim is the sweet spot in any of the Porsche models. It combines the popular S trim options with many of the performance enhancements of the turbo trim usually including brakes. If one was to spec out an S with the standard GTS options the price gap is much closer. You get the sportier looks, leather trim everywhere, better handling suspension, more HP (in this case a better engine) and an exhaust sound that lets everyone know you have a GTS. The down side is the ride will be more “athletic” which some will say it’s too harsh. The ride is something you may want to get a better understanding of. When the time comes to trade my 2016 GTS it will be for another GTS.
JCWLS3 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
In my opinion the GTS trim is the sweet spot in any of the Porsche models. It combines the popular S trim options with many of the performance enhancements of the turbo trim usually including brakes. If one was to spec out an S with the standard GTS options the price gap is much closer. You get the sportier looks, leather trim everywhere, better handling suspension, more HP (in this case a better engine) and an exhaust sound that lets everyone know you have a GTS. The down side is the ride will be more “athletic” which some will say it’s too harsh. The ride is something you may want to get a better understanding of. When the time comes to trade my 2016 GTS it will be for another GTS.
Very well put, depending on your priorities. Change your first sentence to, "In my opinion the GTS trim is the sweet spot in any of the Porsche models for the true driving enthusiast" and you've got me.

I agree 100 percent with everything else you wrote. Now, go buy that 9Y0 GTS and let's have a stock drag-race for bragging rights. You'll own the better-looking, better-sounding losing car.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:36 PM
ssiminou
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

Is the discount being offered to you on both trims the same? If they're offering a much more substantial discount on the S, as much as I love the GTS, it may be the way to go. I helped a few people who had to decide between taking 10% off a '21 Turbo Order or 5% off a GTS. I recommended Turbo as the MSRPs were similar and I believe Turbo resale will be slightly higher, though not by much. Might as well get more power while you're at it.

And if you're considering a S, I'd also take a look at an E-Hybrid. Performance is comparable, and there's a $6712 credit to help if you want to option more performance orientated things.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:18 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Very well put, depending on your priorities. Change your first sentence to, "In my opinion the GTS trim is the sweet spot in any of the Porsche models for the true driving enthusiast" and you've got me.

I agree 100 percent with everything else you wrote. Now, go buy that 9Y0 GTS and let's have a stock drag-race for bragging rights. You'll own the better-looking, better-sounding losing car.
The turbo is a great vehicle. I drove many before deciding on a GTS. At my age I just don’t need the power of the Turbo. It’s now not so much about how fast you get there but more about how you get there. It’s great to have choices with a platform as good as the Cayenne has been.

Quick Reply: GTS vs, S