Sponsored By:

Newbie to the brand

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Newbie to the brand

Greetings everyone, my very first post and glad to meet you all.
hoping to buy the new cayenne 9ya sometimes in the next few months and am doing quite a lot of reading and researching into potential issues that I need to be aware of.
love the car, have test driven them a lot but a bit concerned about the reliability. Been really let down by a BMW X5, currently thriving a toyota hoping to get back into a German car. Hoping to get your thoughts
1) are there any known reliability issues in the cayenne 9ya?
2) I have test driven two demonstrators with sunroof and they rattle and make lots of noise, are rattles and squeaks common ?
(I spent almost 3 years diagnosing and fixing several rattles on my x5 since new , that was an e70)
3) are there any other quality control issues that I need to be aware of? (Heard the rear wipe , b Pilar trims falling off)
4) how reliable is the air suspension? This is a must have option for me

apologies if these have been answered elsewhere , thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

If you're concerned about reliability and squeaks and rattles stick with your Toyota.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Typical of forums you'll read lots of comments, and complaints about rattles, noises, and failures rise to the top fast. There have been some for sure but the car has been rated very highly for a good reason; those issues are not extremely common. I have a base unit so that limits the things that can go wrong, for sure. I have had a sunroof in every vehicle I've owned for as long as I can remember (except my convertible ) and chose to pass on that this time because I rarely used them, so I don't have rattle chances there either. My last vehicles have mainly been Lexus, BTW. My only complaints with my Cayenne are relatively quite minor.

I've driven an SUV for many years as my primary vehicle. Each has been great for utility but an under-powered boat that didn't list "fun" as a reason for them. I find my Cayenne delightful to drive while still being of great utility. Mine is very quiet with no rattles at all. It has never been to service for any issues, except for the 10K miles maintenance. My annoyances are the "crunching" brakes, extreme brake dust, "sport mode" downshifting, and auto start/stop. But those aren't significant enough for me to be sorry for my purchase.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:35 PM
twitch54
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Grey, I also am getting ready to possibly buy a Cayenne by years end when I'll be retiring. I would likely buy used, low mileage, CPO.

Got a chance to check out a new Cayenne coupe this past weekend @ coffee & cars, very nice
Old 07-09-2020, 06:13 PM
atrac7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
Greetings everyone, my very first post and glad to meet you all.
hoping to buy the new cayenne 9ya sometimes in the next few months and am doing quite a lot of reading and researching into potential issues that I need to be aware of.
love the car, have test driven them a lot but a bit concerned about the reliability. Been really let down by a BMW X5, currently thriving a toyota hoping to get back into a German car. Hoping to get your thoughts
1) are there any known reliability issues in the cayenne 9ya?
2) I have test driven two demonstrators with sunroof and they rattle and make lots of noise, are rattles and squeaks common ?
(I spent almost 3 years diagnosing and fixing several rattles on my x5 since new , that was an e70)
3) are there any other quality control issues that I need to be aware of? (Heard the rear wipe , b Pilar trims falling off)
4) how reliable is the air suspension? This is a must have option for me

apologies if these have been answered elsewhere , thanks in advance

I was in the same boat before I pulled the trigger on my Cayenne. Used to be a Lexus owner for awhile, as well as Acura, so reliability was something I was used to. IN terms of rattles, I think every or most cars will accrue that over time. So I would bucket that in another category than reliability.

Ultimately for me...if you want piece of mind when going German...you buy the warranty package.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr_Marty
If you're concerned about reliability and squeaks and rattles stick with your Toyota.
all comments are valuable and welcome. Thanks Marty
Old 07-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

You right,I’m not expecting the new cayenne to be absolutely perfect but wondering what the user experience is from owners. This will help set my expectations
thanks all for your respinses , all positive and critisms are all welcome. Still keen to hear if any of the early adopters can share their experience concerned with potential issues
how reliable are the air springs ? Any transmission or engine issues ? Suspension issues ?
Also can anyone confirm if the seats on the base cayenne is real leather ? Some misleading information from various sources saying it’s not full leather
Old 07-10-2020, 01:20 PM
twitch54
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atrac7

Ultimately for me...if you want piece of mind when going German...you buy the warranty package.
are they even made in Germany ??
Old 07-10-2020, 02:05 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You right,I’m not expecting the new cayenne to be absolutely perfect but wondering what the user experience is from owners. This will help set my expectations
thanks all for your respinses , all positive and critisms are all welcome. Still keen to hear if any of the early adopters can share their experience concerned with potential issues
how reliable are the air springs ? Any transmission or engine issues ? Suspension issues ?
Also can anyone confirm if the seats on the base cayenne is real leather ? Some misleading information from various sources saying it’s not full leather
The seat center (where you sit) is real leather on the standard interior, everything else is leatherette. That said, you can upgrade to full leather if you choose to.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:12 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm on my 2nd Cayenne with the air suspension. The first was a 2013 Diesel that I put 100,000 miles on with zero issues. Even the alignment was spot on the whole time. My 2020 Cayenne Turbo Coupe has just over 2000 miles and it has been great.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by twitch54
are they even made in Germany ??
car assembled in Slovakia, the base 3.0l engine is from Belgium, various suspension components China and other countries.
I’m certain the badge is from Germany 😐
Old 07-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
I'm on my 2nd Cayenne with the air suspension. The first was a 2013 Diesel that I put 100,000 miles on with zero issues. Even the alignment was spot on the whole time. My 2020 Cayenne Turbo Coupe has just over 2000 miles and it has been great.
thanks appreciate your feedback, please keep us posted if you experience any other issues , I’m taking my time doing my findings on this
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 PM
twitch54
Intermediate

car assembled in Slovakia,
that explains the rattles .........

is the same platform Audi (Q7 ?) made there as well ?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, the Touareg, Q7, Q8 and I believe Bentayga. Edit: For the Bentayga, apparently the bodywork and some other things are done in Bratislava, then shipped to Crewe for final assembly.

Last edited by TXSchnee; 07-10-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Bentayga , urus , q7 and the toureg share the same mlb evo platform with slight variation. Touareg , q7 and the cayennes are assembled in the same Bratislava plant. The base cayenne has the audi engine “EA839” all three vehicles share the same suspension (with Minor tweaks) and many other common components.
could you provide some details on the rattles ? Whereabouts are they coming from and which year is your cayenne ?

Quick Reply: Newbie to the brand