Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

6th Gear Shudder/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021 | 12:13 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

What were the changes to the brake system? Have had NONE of these issues on 20 Cayenne - currently at 12k miles. My build was late 19 with a European delivery 12/19.
Old 03-02-2021 | 06:39 PM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

Hello, I have this exact issue on my wife's Cayenne. It has been at my local dealership for over a month now. They have replaced the transfer case and the driveshaft, and the problem is still there. I am waiting to hear what Porsche NA recommends they do next. I would suspect try a transmission change and see if that helps. It would really be a shame if it didn't fix it as this has been a really great car for trips.

Randall
The following users liked this post:
socal_soliloquy (12-13-2022)
Old 03-02-2021 | 06:55 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamtinge
please let us know how it goes next tuesday.
I went to the dealer today and they had a tech drive the car, I was present for the ride. He experienced what's going on in 6th gear 'Sport' mode and acknowledged that it can be eliminated by shifting up to 7th or down to 5th and still thought it could be a tire balance issue. I told him I didn't thank that possible since the problem doesn't occur at certain rpm's, it rears its head at about 50mph when in 6th with minor vibration and increases as you build the speed up into the mid 60's where it's much worse and then pretty much disappears at 68 when 7th gear kicks in. Tire balance is not the problem imho...but - the service mgr insisted that we must take the necessary early steps before replacing parts, and suggested I file a complaint with PNA. That was a waste of time...the the gal I spoke to told me they only deal with problems of a year or less old and I should continue working with the dealer (I did get a case # though). So I will get the wheels balanced and can almost guarantee this will not fix the problem. I believe Porsche knows there's a problem which explains why the 2021 transfer case has been changed from the 19 model I, and some other suckers currently own. I have noticed the same shudder in two loaners I've had but to a lesser degree that may go unnoticed by some that just don't pay as close attention or are oblivious to such things. One other bit of info: Made a 10 hour round trip over the weekend and had some newly paved areas of interstate to play around with the gears and I did notice that while in manual mode in 6th, I could run the car up to 80-85 and still experience the vibe, shifting up to 7th and 8th didn't smooth it out as much as at slower speeds (8th still had a noticeable vibe). The road was like glass with "Slippery When Wet Signs" present, just perfect conditions to test. When the car was put into neutral, the vibe went away and that for me eliminates any tire balance issue. I'm not happy with Porsche, and I would not sell this car to an individual to unload it (wouldn't sleep at night), so I'm stuck having to work with the dealer with a heavily depreciated car that's 2 1/2 years old with 38k on the OD. I'll report what happens after the next dealer visit.
The following users liked this post:
socal_soliloquy (12-13-2022)
Old 03-02-2021 | 11:08 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by tmuchacho
I went to the dealer today and they had a tech drive the car, I was present for the ride. He experienced what's going on in 6th gear 'Sport' mode and acknowledged that it can be eliminated by shifting up to 7th or down to 5th and still thought it could be a tire balance issue. I told him I didn't thank that possible since the problem doesn't occur at certain rpm's, it rears its head at about 50mph when in 6th with minor vibration and increases as you build the speed up into the mid 60's where it's much worse and then pretty much disappears at 68 when 7th gear kicks in. Tire balance is not the problem imho...but - the service mgr insisted that we must take the necessary early steps before replacing parts, and suggested I file a complaint with PNA. That was a waste of time...the the gal I spoke to told me they only deal with problems of a year or less old and I should continue working with the dealer (I did get a case # though). So I will get the wheels balanced and can almost guarantee this will not fix the problem. I believe Porsche knows there's a problem which explains why the 2021 transfer case has been changed from the 19 model I, and some other suckers currently own. I have noticed the same shudder in two loaners I've had but to a lesser degree that may go unnoticed by some that just don't pay as close attention or are oblivious to such things. One other bit of info: Made a 10 hour round trip over the weekend and had some newly paved areas of interstate to play around with the gears and I did notice that while in manual mode in 6th, I could run the car up to 80-85 and still experience the vibe, shifting up to 7th and 8th didn't smooth it out as much as at slower speeds (8th still had a noticeable vibe). The road was like glass with "Slippery When Wet Signs" present, just perfect conditions to test. When the car was put into neutral, the vibe went away and that for me eliminates any tire balance issue. I'm not happy with Porsche, and I would not sell this car to an individual to unload it (wouldn't sleep at night), so I'm stuck having to work with the dealer with a heavily depreciated car that's 2 1/2 years old with 38k on the OD. I'll report what happens after the next dealer visit.
I appreciate your frustration but getting mad at the dealer and threatening to escalate to PCNA won’t help, as you found out. The first hurdle is getting the tech to acknowledge there is a shudder in 6th. He has done that and suggested a wheel balance. So why not drive their loaner while they balance the wheels and then go for a drive with the tech again. When it doesn’t fix the problem they’ll take the next steps.

I don’t think it helps you to say there are many vehicles with this problem and that Porsche must know about it. That likely to lead to Porsche saying it is “characteristic of the vehicle and as such is “normal”. That is what has happened with the brake “grunching”noises some owners are experiencing. Porsche just says it’s normal.

I think it’s hard to find a car that doesn’t have some annoying characteristics. As the years go by and improvements are made and something annoying is replaced with something else. Hope they can get this one sorted out for you.

Old 03-08-2021 | 01:08 PM
Porscheshudder
1st Gear

Default 3rd & 6th Gear shudder

I have a Cayenne base 2019 22,000 miles
Is there a final determination on this? I have it at 3rd and 6th Gears and most recently at highway speeds. It would be nice to know so I can give a heads up to my Porsche Dealer.
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:43 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

id love to be proven wrong, but i doubt Porsche will do anything about this. They will just say this is just one of the characteristics
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:47 PM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

On my car, Porsche NA is sending one of their techs to look at my wife's car. They have tried so many things and are looking at every part that has been superseded by a new part in the drivetrain to replace. The transmission seems to be the change of last resort, which to my mind, seems like the most obvious problem part since it happens in a specific gear. The most important part is that they recognized the problem and they have to have a solution for it before they give it back to me. I will keep updating until the car is returned to me.

Randall
Old 03-09-2021 | 02:11 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by asenna8
On my car, Porsche NA is sending one of their techs to look at my wife's car. They have tried so many things and are looking at every part that has been superseded by a new part in the drivetrain to replace. The transmission seems to be the change of last resort, which to my mind, seems like the most obvious problem part since it happens in a specific gear. The most important part is that they recognized the problem and they have to have a solution for it before they give it back to me. I will keep updating until the car is returned to me.

Randall
Please do let us know how it goes. After 1.5 yr with the brake issue (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ly-normal.html), i have given up on this brand. I also have a 2019 with the same 6th gear vibration problem, but didn't even bother bring it in after realizing this is a common problem.
Old 03-15-2021 | 06:17 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porscheshudder
I have a Cayenne base 2019 22,000 miles
Is there a final determination on this? I have it at 3rd and 6th Gears and most recently at highway speeds. It would be nice to know so I can give a heads up to my Porsche Dealer.
Original poster here, I had the required wheel balancing done today at the dealer, an exercise I knew that had nothing to do with the vibration and shudder. Tech drove a 2020 model loaner and said it basically does the same thing in 6th as my 2019 and is operating as normal. Not sure what I'm going to do next, I don't think they will put a new tranny in there. Wanted to drive this car for 3 or 4 more years but I don't think I'll put up with it. The Macan loaner is in so many ways a better vehicle, smooth idle, better handling, love the PDK, but - the seat doesn't go back far enough for my 34" inseam. After an hour and a half in it I really wanted to extend my legs out but couldn't, perfect for women and shorter individuals.
Old 03-16-2021 | 10:57 AM
jamtinge
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmuchacho
Original poster here, I had the required wheel balancing done today at the dealer, an exercise I knew that had nothing to do with the vibration and shudder. Tech drove a 2020 model loaner and said it basically does the same thing in 6th as my 2019 and is operating as normal. Not sure what I'm going to do next, I don't think they will put a new tranny in there. Wanted to drive this car for 3 or 4 more years but I don't think I'll put up with it. The Macan loaner is in so many ways a better vehicle, smooth idle, better handling, love the PDK, but - the seat doesn't go back far enough for my 34" inseam. After an hour and a half in it I really wanted to extend my legs out but couldn't, perfect for women and shorter individuals.
not surprised here. in fact i saw it coming. thats how Porsche has been handling the complaints about the brake issues. My 2019 vibrates like i am in a massage chair btw 90~100 km/h (50~60 mph), but i am not even gonna bother bring it in.
Old 03-16-2021 | 11:35 AM
Ray831
Racer

Were you actually with the tech when he drove the 2020? He is wrong. My 2020 Cayenne Hybrid does not shudder in any gear much less 6th. In fact I usually cannot tell what gear it is in. Bring it in to get fixed again and invoke the lemon law. You may need to get a lawyer to write a letter to Porsche telling them that you will be invoking the lemon law but they will then respond. Don't let them bully you. I know that this is a PITA but you will need to do this otherwise you will always have the car. I am very disappointed that Porsche is treating you like this. Too bad they don't monitor this forum. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2021 | 12:01 PM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

I got my wife's Cayenne back after almost 10 weeks at the dealership. In that time they replaced the transfer case and the drive shaft among other assorted small parts that could help dampen the vibration. Overall, the car is much better than when I took it in. According to the service manager, there was a Cayenne in Canada that had the same issue that a transmission replacement was authorized and the change did not correct the vibration. At this point, it is good enough that I am not going to complain further. I have never felt that the Cayenne drivetrain was a smooth as my Panamera with the same engine. Also of note, it seems the vibration is worse with the car in Sport mode. It is definitely a vibration harmonic among multiple components that seems to be amplified while the car is in 6th gear and in sport mode.

I was promised a call from Porsche USA and some possible compensation for the car being in the shop for as long as it was, but we will see.

Randall
Old 04-12-2021 | 03:45 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Glad it was resolved. Does the Cayenne have a groaning sound at full steering lock at low speed? This was the case for the prior platform Touareg (same platform as 92A Cayenne), with a Torsen differential in the drivetrain.
Old 11-03-2022 | 11:28 AM
Alex.kuchko
Advanced

I want to resurrect this topic
Im 2019 Base owner
Also have such problem at 6th gear especially about 80-90 kmh
Visit dealer today, check for leaks and problems with engine and tranny mounts
They are looking good
Going to swap all wheels just to check the variant with tyres
If not I don't have an idea what to do with it
Old 11-04-2022 | 09:32 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alex.kuchko
I want to resurrect this topic
Im 2019 Base owner
Also have such problem at 6th gear especially about 80-90 kmh
Visit dealer today, check for leaks and problems with engine and tranny mounts
They are looking good
Going to swap all wheels just to check the variant with tyres
If not I don't have an idea what to do with it
The vibration in 6th gear seems, unfortunately, normal for at least a base Cayenne. I had it in my 2019 base, and the same thing manifests in my 2022. It’s a waste of time complaining about it to Porsche. It’s a design defect and that’s just the way it is.

Quick Reply: 6th Gear Shudder/Vibration