Sponsored By:

6th Gear Shudder/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 02:16 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 6th Gear Shudder/Vibration

Curious if anyone is experiencing this...2019 Base Cayenne that is vibrating similar to when a front wheel is out of balance, it's mild but noticeable (not like running over those textured strips on the sides of the road), but very noticeable on the wheel and even dashboard. Happens ONLY in six gear whether in 'individual', 'sport', or manual shifting. When you bump up to 7th gear, it smooths right out...drop down to fifth, same thing. Especially noticeable in 'sport' mode since the tranny tends to hang in 6th gear when traveling 40-60 mph until one reaches highway speeds. Plan on bringing it in next week and thought it wise to check if anyone has same issue or may have an idea what's going on (perhaps a software problem in the tranny)?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

If you were to drive in 5th from 40-60, does it happen? if so its a tire balancing issue.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 PM
Vishal S
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most probably balancing issue, unless you hear any kind of clunking or jarring noise with it.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:24 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Thanks for replies, the reason I don't think its a balance issue is due to it happening only in six gear, at a variety of speeds. I can be driving at 55, roughly 2000 rpm I think, and an upshift or downshift will stop it immediately regardless if I remain at that steady speed or speed up or slow down..doesn't seem to be related to speed or rpm. Feels similar to torque converter shudder or the vibration one gets when there's a tranny problem (no clunking or unusual noise). I'll report back after car is in the shop, 24K on the OD.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:57 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Does it do it under acceleration and coasting? Get into 6th gear, manual mode, take your foot off the accelerator, leaving it in 6th. What happens?

AC on or off?

Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have felt the same sensation in my Cayenne S also! Feels like a shuddering or vibration not the tires out of balance. Maybe its when the car coasts and is disengages the gears from the
transmission i don't know but have felt the same sensation too! curious what dealer has to say about it! Keep us posted! Thanks..
Old 02-16-2020, 09:28 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Does it do it under acceleration and coasting? Get into 6th gear, manual mode, take your foot off the accelerator, leaving it in 6th. What happens?

AC on or off?
Silver, when I get off the throttle and glide, the same vibration remains as the car slows...also tried throwing into neutral from six and vibe stops immediately. And as I mentioned, 5th or 7th smooths everything right out. Tested it in "Auto" mode with AC on, I'll have to try with no AC. I don't believe wheel balance has anything to do with it. I didn't mention that the vibration is quite noticeable in the seat as well (6th gear for massage maybe).
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Defective transmission. Don't let the dealer try to tell you "it's normal".
Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I would suggest that your problem is in the gearing, possibly a race with chatter marks, or a defective bearing. Your car must go in to be fully and properly diagnosed before the problem becomes serious or causes a complete transmission failure. Do not waste time. Get it in asap. I hope you prove me wrong.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:09 PM
trucker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the same thing but at higher speeds on the highway. I complained to the dealer and they misunderstood me and started to look for rattles inside the vehicle instead of looking for this light vibration that I feel like if the rear tires were out of balance.
They even said that once they removed couple crates I had in the trunk the rattle stopped, of course this wasn't the problem but I need to go back there after my next road trip.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Originally Posted by dspvend
I have felt the same sensation in my Cayenne S also! Feels like a shuddering or vibration not the tires out of balance. Maybe its when the car coasts and is disengages the gears from the
transmission i don't know but have felt the same sensation too! curious what dealer has to say about it! Keep us posted! Thanks..
So a Porsche Tech drove the Cayenne today on smooth pavement and experienced the shudder/vibe in 6th gear will driving is 'sport' mode, and agreed it seems like a transmission problem. I have to make an appointment for them to run a bunch of electronic tests which they will then send results off to Atlanta for review. He did say that Porsche is unlikely to approve a transmission replacement without hard evidence and back up diagnostics. The problem is now showing up in 3rd gear as well when driving 25-30 mph, not as annoying since that combination doesn't happen often. The shudder is also getting more noticeable in the seat than when it first started happening...wasn't expecting this sort of an issue at such low mileage from Porsche. Interesting, during the drive he mentioned some owners that traded their previous version Cayenne for the current aren't happy with their new purchase given the brake and powertrain problems.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:02 PM
flynpch
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar issue with the car I just purchased. I don’t know if it is gear specific but it is a light rumble. I do not think it is wheel balance.
The following users liked this post:
MnRiverman (02-07-2023)
Old 03-05-2020, 11:46 AM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Originally Posted by dspvend
My Cayenne was at the dealer this week for computer diagnostic evaluation relating to the 6th gear shudder/vibe. The Cayenne base loaner (made in May 19) I was given had the same symptoms as my car but it wasn't as evident in the drivers seat as mine. When I picked my car up, the tech reported he and the shop foreman had both driven my car and another Cayenne base loaner and they exhibited the same condition, they will be sending the data from their laptop to Atlanta to review. The tech hinted there may be a "campaign" (his term) regarding this issue coming down the pike since I was not the only owner that had complained of the issue. My car was an early build, June of 2018, and I didn't notice the problem early on. When I started using sport mode more often it became very noticeable since the car hangs in six gear for a long time before hitting 7th. At this point I'm driving in normal mode for the most part since the car spends very little time in 6th gear then, using sport only when quick acceleration is called for. Truth be told, very disappointed to be experiencing this from such an expensive vehicle. Leaving aside the 6th gear problem, the overall experience while driving in sport mode is unacceptable with the abrupt down shifts when coming to a stop. Hoping an update comes sometimes soon.
chassis (07-18-2023)
Old 07-13-2020, 04:37 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Please keep us posted, potential new buyer here, keen to know what action Porsche will be taking to resolve and if it’s a widespread issue
The following 2 users liked this post by Greyphantom:
chassis (07-18-2023), MnRiverman (02-07-2023)
Old 09-03-2020, 03:24 AM
AirShox EU
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this topic? Probably you already know the campaign number?
chassis (07-18-2023)

Quick Reply: 6th Gear Shudder/Vibration