Sponsored By:

Adjusting Instrument Cluster Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 PM
haneyrm
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting Instrument Cluster Brightness

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but how do I adjust the brightness of the center part of the instrument cluster? Would like to adjust the tach brightness down a little. Used to be a little dial that you turned. Can't find it on the 2019.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,382 Likes on 840 Posts

Did you read the owner's manual?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by haneyrm
I'm sure I'm missing something simple but how do I adjust the brightness of the center part of the instrument cluster? Would like to adjust the tach brightness down a little. Used to be a little dial that you turned. Can't find it on the 2019.

Thanks.
There is another thread about this. The answer is: the brightness of the tach illumination is not tied in with the brightness of the rest of the cluster. I believe the tach’s illumination is tied to the brightness of the interior lights. The brightness of the rest of the cluster, however, is controlled from a PCM screen. Now, you might think “what genius Porsche engineer came up with such a nutty scheme?” I can’t answer that one.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 AM
haneyrm
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of things associated with this vehicle that seem to be an evolutionary step backwards. It’s a shame. I traded my 2016 Macan S hoping to further elevate the experience and it’s been disappointing so far.
The following users liked this post:
HT#70 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
There is another thread about this. The answer is: the brightness of the tach illumination is not tied in with the brightness of the rest of the cluster. I believe the tach’s illumination is tied to the brightness of the interior lights. The brightness of the rest of the cluster, however, is controlled from a PCM screen. Now, you might think “what genius Porsche engineer came up with such a nutty scheme?” I can’t answer that one.
I tried changing the interior lights brightness but it did not change the tach brightness.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:31 PM
BIG8
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I tried changing the interior lights brightness but it did not change the tach brightness.
Same here. No discernible difference at all.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:43 PM
sidehill
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

How much $$ did Porsche save by eliminating that little brightness ****?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIG8
Same here. No discernible difference at all.
Try it in a darkened garage. The dimming effect is subtle - on my car, I can dim the tach but not by much. See below post from that other thread I mentioned who can dim the tach on his car in the same odd way.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 PM
BIG8
Advanced

Originally Posted by LSR
Try it in a darkened garage. The dimming effect is subtle - on my car, I can dim the tach but not by much. See below post from that other thread I mentioned who can dim the tach on his car in the same odd way.
Will give the darkened garage a try. If that’s what it takes to detect the tach dimming then maybe the geniuses at Porsche need to re-think this adjustment. The Cayenne is such a terrific SUV....too bad it is hampered by so many user-unfriendly quirks that make the Cayenne experience frustrating.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM
KT88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So, Vehicle Settings > Light and visibility > Interior lighting > Brightness gets you to a dial to globally reduce or increase the interior lighting (not ambient lighting) which in this case includes: the tach, the PCM screen and all back-lit items like the door panel memory, the console as well as the two displays on either side of the tach.

The PCM screen then can be set independently to be "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Also, the two screens to either side of the Tach can also be independently "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Sorry I did not record the offset instructions, but they are easy to find ... I can follow up if any questions on those.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 PM
BIG8
Advanced

Originally Posted by KT88
So, Vehicle Settings > Light and visibility > Interior lighting > Brightness gets you to a dial to globally reduce or increase the interior lighting (not ambient lighting) which in this case includes: the tach, the PCM screen and all back-lit items like the door panel memory, the console as well as the two displays on either side of the tach.

The PCM screen then can be set independently to be "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Also, the two screens to either side of the Tach can also be independently "offset" from the global adjustment above.

Sorry I did not record the offset instructions, but they are easy to find ... I can follow up if any questions on those.
Thanks for passing this along. To clarify, first go to SET, then VEHICLE SETTINGS. Anyway, it works as you described. Still, a rather cryptic approach to what should be a simple adjustment.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 AM
KT88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG8
Thanks for passing this along. To clarify, first go to SET, then VEHICLE SETTINGS. Anyway, it works as you described. Still, a rather cryptic approach to what should be a simple adjustment.
the Set higher level menu item is actually very important as Car would be where one would logically try first, but at any rate thank you!

And, yes, ridiculous amount of time finding this adjustment after fooling with the offset dials first and getting really frustrated.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Roberto Herrera
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan Instrument Cluster Brightness adjustment

Originally Posted by haneyrm

Thanks.
The brightness can be adjusted while you push the **** on the left side of the instrument cluster.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:20 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roberto Herrera
The brightness can be adjusted while you push the **** on the left side of the instrument cluster.
Are you talking about a Macan? There is no such **** in the 2019+ Cayenne.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KT88

Thanks KT88!! I was looking for this information.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Instrument Cluster Brightness