2020 Cayenne S Dash Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 AM
Saiho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Cayenne S Dash Cam Install

Hi,

I'm planning on getting the 2 channel Blackvue dashcam and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything before I begin installing it so I can minimize the chance of breaking something. I have tried searching on google and youtube for videos of installation on the new Cayennes but came up short.

1. Does anyone know if the A-pillar can simply be gently pried off with a plastic trim tool or there's a screw that needs to be dealt with under the airbag logo?
2. Can all of the front/back doors' and rear tailgate's weather stripping be easily pulled off like other cars or are there additional steps I need to take? Are they glued on?
3. Can the wire be easily slipped behind the B-pillar with a plastic trim tool without taking the B-pillar off?
4. Are there any hidden screws on the rear tailgate's upper trim or can it just be pulled off with tool?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-18-2019, 03:05 AM
tnq
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Saiho
Hi,

I'm planning on getting the 2 channel Blackvue dashcam and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything before I begin installing it so I can minimize the chance of breaking something. I have tried searching on google and youtube for videos of installation on the new Cayennes but came up short.

1. Does anyone know if the A-pillar can simply be gently pried off with a plastic trim tool or there's a screw that needs to be dealt with under the airbag logo?
Check out this post for the a-pillar trim. same clip mechanism. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...e-rhd-2950468/
Pls note reinstalling the a-pillar trim was a real PITA.

2. Can all of the front/back doors' and rear tailgate's weather stripping be easily pulled off like other cars or are there additional steps I need to take? Are they glued on?
Yes but there is no need to pull it. You need to pull the lift gate wire harness seals and fish the dash cam coax cable through it.
3. Can the wire be easily slipped behind the B-pillar with a plastic trim tool without taking the B-pillar off?
I ran it down the a pillar and then along the bottom of the floor to the rear of the vehicle. found it to be too much of a pain to run above between the headliner. it's just too tight.
4. Are there any hidden screws on the rear tailgate's upper trim or can it just be pulled off with tool?
No screws. just a bunch of metal clips. Pry tool at the right locations will do the trick.

Proceed with caution. I ended up deforming a few clips and panels and had to make a few trips to the dealer for replacement parts. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:23 AM
Saiho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tnq
Proceed with caution. I ended up deforming a few clips and panels and had to make a few trips to the dealer for replacement parts. Good luck.
Thank-you for the help! I will probably run it along the floor too if that's the case.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:51 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

In most installs the wire is simply "jammed in" behind the A and B Pillars. I would not try to remove these.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:59 PM
tnq
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

Originally Posted by garfunkle
In most installs the wire is simply "jammed in" behind the A and B Pillars. I would not try to remove these.
IMO the dashcam wires should be secured by the wire harness holders in the a-pillar that porsche uses for cable management and safety. You wouldn't want the wires shooting at your passengers face if the airbags deploy during an accident.

On another note, for extra security against abrasive wear/shorting overtime I'd recommend wrapping the dashcam wires with tesa wire loom tape.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-22-2020, 02:52 AM
brisk
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I can't for the life of me see that clip to remove.
Trying to install a 2-ch dashcam and I can't stuff both wires in the weather strip.

Any suggestions on how to remove the a-pillar? Just afraid I might break something...

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:00 PM
jishtu
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

I have some info about A pillar mechanisms for new Cayenne (92A ) Some older forums address that the "airbag'' logos need to be pryed open and there are hidden screws. Caution- that is the case for older cayenne. In newer models this airbag logo is simply welded and is of now use to remove the a pillar trim. Please see this video:
For newer models its a bit complex and the whole trim needs to be carefully pryed open and then the locks needs to be twisted as shown in the video. This will save anyone from accidentally trying to pry open the airbag logo as shown in multiple older threads elsewhere on internet.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:46 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

On my X5, BMW added a software update and now it automatically saves 30-60 seconds clips prior and after an accident from all four surrounds cameras. There's also a shortcut button to use if you want to manually save the 60 seconds prior to an event. It is such a nice feature that acts better than a dashcam. I wish Porsche thinks about adding a similar feature which will be much more neat

Quick Reply: 2020 Cayenne S Dash Cam Install