Sponsored By:

Winter Tire Options for 22"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
JohnP_117
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Tire Options for 22"

So, I might have gotten a little overzealous when I ordered my Cayenne Turbo with the 22" 911 Turbo Design wheels because I didn't realize there wasn't a snow tire available - at least for the rears. Pirelli's site does show a 315/30R22 Winter Scorpion, but my understanding is that they don't necessarily manufacture it (based on low demand).

I know there have been a couple other threads touching on this issue, but I have a few specific questions:

- Are there truly NO options for a 22" snow tire available on the market?
- I see plenty of options for purchasing used Porsche wheels, but have concerns about making sure they fit. I'm not versed enough to know for sure what will work. How small of a diameter will still fit around the PSCB's? Do offsets have to match exactly or is there a range that will work?
- Has anybody purchased aftermarket wheels they can vouch for?
- Opinions on running a staggered vs. square setup?

I'm not looking to break the bank on a winter setup, but definitely want the option to run snow tires for performance and safety reasons.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

20 is minimum for those brakes. I would just get an original take off 20 set from a 2019 Porsche Cayenne. Then you have more choices of winter tires.

Members have been swapping wheels for a very long time. Personally I have had separate winter sets for all of my 7 Cayennes over the years.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:46 PM
niedae
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

@JohnP_117 - What did you end up doing? Two years later, it looks like you can get the winter scorpion in a size that fits the Cayenne (285/35 and 315/30).
Anyway, curious to know if you went with another set of wheels and tires, or just tires, or just drove in the snow on summer tires.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:59 PM
JohnP_117
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by niedae
@JohnP_117 - What did you end up doing? Two years later, it looks like you can get the winter scorpion in a size that fits the Cayenne (285/35 and 315/30).
Anyway, curious to know if you went with another set of wheels and tires, or just tires, or just drove in the snow on summer tires.
We ended up just sticking it out on the summer tires. I did see that tirerack.com eventually received some stock of the correct winter tires, but didn't want to go through the hassle of changing at that point. We have a Panamera with winters that I was able to use on days that really warranted winter tires, but the Cayenne on summers held up pretty well for the majority of days where the roads were clear.
The following users liked this post:
niedae (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:40 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Just bought and received a set of pirelli scorpions for my wife's Q7. 285/35/22.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:31 PM
niedae
Intermediate

@CanuckGT4 - will you use the pirellis all season, or is this a set for the winter? Is this the ice/snow scorpions. (so regular R-speed rating)? I just got a CPO cayenne turbo 2019 with 22" tires and did not think through the snow tire part very well.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:39 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

we have winter tires and summer tires, no all-seasons.
while all-seasons are convenient from a user perspective, they door a poor job for both snow and summer seasons.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:41 PM
niedae
Intermediate

So, dumb question - do you have two sets of tires - both rims and tires or do you do mount tires and use one set of rims changing them per the seasons. Not sure remounting tires repeatedly is a ok to do or not.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:15 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Best to buy another set of rims. Mounting and dismounting ultra low profile tires on expensive rims any more than necessary is an unnecessary risk. And go down to 20s for better snow performance. Yes, handling will be worse and ride comfort will be better. If the goal is to go in the snow safely, narrower tires with bigger sidewalls are better.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:45 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by niedae
So, dumb question - do you have two sets of tires - both rims and tires or do you do mount tires and use one set of rims changing them per the seasons. Not sure remounting tires repeatedly is a ok to do or not.
On my vehicle i have dedicated summer and winter sets because i'm particular about my wheels.
My wife doesn't really care so we just swap rubber each season.
I did the math once and it comes out pretty even at the end however when you own a whole other set of wheels, you are stuck with them and selling them is a pia.
Also, mounting and removing 22" wheel set twice a year isn't as easy as it was in my 20s and 30s.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Options for 22"