Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019 | 10:56 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

So the only thing we can do right now is to adjust the headlights higher w that hex screw? And the matrix can't be coded "on" via some aftermarket solution?
Old 12-22-2019 | 02:29 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
I have been testing the auto high beams in low speed limit areas (such as in a subdivision and the Cayenne has been inconsistent. Sometimes it turns off high beams below 25 mph and sometimes not. There are times when I need high beams on in slow driving situations.
Our CTT doesn't auto-enable high beams until about 40 mph. Seems like I read this as designed behavior in the manual. We live in a semi-rural area, and thus activate high beams manually at slow speeds.
Old 12-22-2019 | 04:21 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
So the only thing we can do right now is to adjust the headlights higher w that hex screw? And the matrix can't be coded "on" via some aftermarket solution?
Correct.
Old 12-22-2019 | 04:37 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Our CTT doesn't auto-enable high beams until about 40 mph. Seems like I read this as designed behavior in the manual. We live in a semi-rural area, and thus activate high beams manually at slow speeds.
I perused through the manual and it stated a range between 25mph to 40mph for the auto high/low to activate so your statement is correct. This explains the inconsistency. A wide range so it seems.
So DOT has had this on its books to approve for over a year now. I know the wheels turn slow with our federal govt. but geez this sure is taking a long time. My dealer said they have the program for activating when they receive the approval so we'll just have to be patient but I feel cheated for spending extra for the PDLS+.
Old 12-27-2019 | 10:43 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I agree...we got ripped-off on the PDLS+. What a gyp!
Old 01-12-2020 | 11:37 AM
scb
Advanced

My dealer said Toyota’s matrix/adaptive lighting has recently been approved by DOT and Porsche’s and Audi’s should be soon. FWIW I opted for the Matrix lights on my new build not only because of their potential activation but because they look better. Plus when I did the math on adding Premium Package Plus vs Premium Package it just made sense to go with the Plus package.
Old 01-12-2020 | 02:23 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by scb
My dealer said Toyota’s matrix/adaptive lighting has recently been approved by DOT and Porsche’s and Audi’s should be soon. FWIW I opted for the Matrix lights on my new build not only because of their potential activation but because they look better. Plus when I did the math on adding Premium Package Plus vs Premium Package it just made sense to go with the Plus package.
FWIW, I cannot find any coverage of the US approval any manufacturer's adaptive headlight system through a search on Google. If and when it happens I'd assume there would be many articles about it.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (04-05-2021)
Old 01-12-2020 | 02:40 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Originally Posted by beefchopper
FWIW, I cannot find any coverage of the US approval any manufacturer's adaptive headlight system through a search on Google. If and when it happens I'd assume there would be many articles about it.

Insert NHSTA in place of DOT in your google search and you'll see a crowd of articles and posts about pending LED matrix light approvals. I think NHSTA (National Highway Safety Traffic Administration) has the football, not DOT.
Old 01-12-2020 | 02:48 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by 03clyde
Insert NHSTA in place of DOT in your google search and you'll see a crowd of articles and posts about pending LED matrix light approvals. I think NHSTA (National Highway Safety Traffic Administration) has the football, not DOT.
Great!
Old 01-12-2020 | 02:57 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by 03clyde
I did as you suggested and all the articles I found about the approval were dated October 2018 and said the NHSTA planned to allow them but I can't find anything saying they are now allowed. Do you have a link about the recent Toyota approval?
Old 01-12-2020 | 08:36 PM
scb
Advanced

I haven't found anything on approval for Toyota's adaptive headlights either. I did find the NHSTA site on this particular rule making, and the status is "final rule". You can sign up for email alerts so you will know when the final rule is actually published. Hoping that this will happen soon!
Old 01-13-2020 | 12:41 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Originally Posted by scb
I haven't found anything on approval for Toyota's adaptive headlights either. I did find the NHSTA site on this particular rule making, and the status is "final rule". You can sign up for email alerts so you will know when the final rule is actually published. Hoping that this will happen soon!
Me too. I can't imagine what they're waiting for. They have been used quite successfully in other countries for quite some time now.
Old 01-13-2020 | 03:38 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beefchopper
Me too. I can't imagine what they're waiting for.
Having worked in government for nearly 20 years, I can tell you exactly what they're waiting for: nothing at all. It just is. Porsche adheres to the same general philosophy. You'll get what you get when we decide to give it to you.
The following users liked this post:
fuenfer (02-03-2024)
Old 01-13-2020 | 05:06 PM
scb
Advanced

Here's the rulemaking link: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=NHTSA-2018-0090
The following 3 users liked this post by scb:
03clyde (01-13-2020), John__C (12-07-2020), poolie (04-05-2021)
Old 01-13-2020 | 07:10 PM
03clyde
Instructor

Originally Posted by scb

Thanks for the link, some of the comments are a hoot.

Quick Reply: Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US