Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023 | 03:18 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Originally Posted by kayjh
Thanks for posting but my Canadian Matrix headlights don't behave like yours. While following that car in front of you and in the right lane, my LEDs would create a dark spot behind the car ahead to avoid dazzling its rear view mirror. I didn't see that in your video. Also, when approaching from the opposite direction get into range, my lights show a dark area on the left side of the road and switch light towards the right ditch. Finally, when approaching overhead road signs, my lights drop out of high beam entirely, as they do when travelling through a street light area. I'm not sure what yours were doing (high beam? Low beam?) I'll try and record my LED PDLS+ behaviour next week when I am back in town and post here.
Actually my matrix headlights behave exactly like you described. The reason my lights don’t create “dark spot” behind the car because my headlights were aiming high. I adjusted the headlights to aim higher when I first got the car. I will also record another video with a better camera mount outside of the vehicle to get better image.
Old 07-28-2023 | 04:43 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Actually my matrix headlights behave exactly like you described. The reason my lights don’t create “dark spot” behind the car because my headlights were aiming high. I adjusted the headlights to aim higher when I first got the car. I will also record another video with a better camera mount outside of the vehicle to get better image.
It looks like only the top half of the preceding vehicle is dimmed out in your video due to your headlights being adjusted too high.

Did you happen to find out which country or region Anthony is coding to emulate? Although Canada started permitting adaptive headlights several years ago, there are some headlight settings in PIWIS specifically for "Kanada". I'm wondering if Canada market cars are getting somewhat different functionality. I'm hoping that Anthony is coding the headlights to function as in Germany which I'm speculating will give as much functionality as possible..

I guess I'll get the answers directly for Anthony in a couple of weeks but it would be nice to know in advance.
Old 07-28-2023 | 05:13 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Originally Posted by Woofman

Have you noticed the "Encounter light" feature now functioning? Per the owners manual (for Canada which should be how it works in Germany), when there is "No vehicle ahead" and there is "Oncoming traffic with detected headlights", then "The light distribution is briefly changed so that the lane being driven on is illuminated brightly".

I have not noticed yet as I only drove the car briefly after the activation.

You might not have encountered applicable situations, but have you noticed pedestrians near the roadway being illuminated by three rapid flashes of narrow beams of light? This feature may be dependent on having the optional Night View Assist feature but I don't know.

Not noticed yet. Pedestrian streets here have street lights so the automatic high beam is not activated in that scenario. Will need to look for night runners running in the dark to find out.

Someone else reported that the "Sign glare suppression" feature started functioning after Anthony did the update. Have you noticed it? Have you noticed anything else of interest?

Yes, i noticed the sign glare suppression but not showing on my video. I didn’t drive enough at night to find any other interesting things at the moment. However, watching the matrix function activating is quite interesting, it’s like the headlights got widen, like the curtains being pulled to the side at a theater.

I've been wondering if the FITCAMX dashcam I installed a few weeks ago could decently record the matrix headlight beam shaping. There are lots of videos showing Porsche matrix headlight functionality on YouTube but I still plan to do my own and post it.

I am planning to install GoPro on the front hood to see if I can capture better footage. My windshield is tinted so it’s harder to see the matrix function. All I can say is that it’s alot more prominent seeing it in person than from the video.
Answers in purple

The following users liked this post:
Woofman (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023 | 05:14 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Originally Posted by Woofman
It looks like only the top half of the preceding vehicle is dimmed out in your video due to your headlights being adjusted too high.

Did you happen to find out which country or region Anthony is coding to emulate? Although Canada started permitting adaptive headlights several years ago, there are some headlight settings in PIWIS specifically for "Kanada". I'm wondering if Canada market cars are getting somewhat different functionality. I'm hoping that Anthony is coding the headlights to function as in Germany which I'm speculating will give as much functionality as possible..

I guess I'll get the answers directly for Anthony in a couple of weeks but it would be nice to know in advance.
Correct, my headlights were aiming too high in the video.

I actually do not know which country or region Anthony is coding to. All I saw was German on PIWIS.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (07-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US