Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seriously torn with the color choices, NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM
fonglik
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously torn with the color choices, NEED HELP!

I know it’s purely personal but I’m still torn between the colors I like, exterior and interior!

About the exterior I like the Quartzite Grey and Moonlight Blue. QG looks younger but it’s a tiny bit too light and at certain condition it looks a bit washed out and dull. MB looks great too but I can imagine it would be a PITY to maintain.

Interior wise the Black & Bordeaux is definitely eye catching however I’m worried about whether it will last or I will get bored of it soon. Another one is all Black leather which is the safest choice obviously.

I need suggestions, much appreciated!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:24 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

I LOVE my black/bordeaux interior and have gotten several compliments on it. Would get it again in a heartbeat.

I have QG exterior and while I like it, it's my third gray vehicle in a row and I'm getting sort of tired of looking at gray. That said, there aren't many great options available. In my opinion, if you are going to go as dark as moonlight blue, you might as well go black. Maintenance will be equally difficult and black ages better. A BMW salesperson pointed that out to me years ago when I was considering ordering a carbon black BMW 550 (really a VERY dark blue), and it has stuck with me. I think he's right. My boss also has an Infiniti Q70 in that very dark blue color and every time I see his car in black, I think that looks sharper. And I really like blue exteriors, just not ones that dark.

A friend of a friend of mine just got a Cayenne in black with the black/bordeaux interior and while I haven't seen it, I bet it looks sharp. You might consider it. I've sworn off black cars but even I might consider a black Cayenne in the future.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM
fonglik
AutoX

Originally Posted by BCA01
I LOVE my black/bordeaux interior and have gotten several compliments on it. Would get it again in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the prompt reply sir!

Apart from the fact that you might have a bit eye fatigue with the grey, do you still recommend this gen’s Cayenne with QG to me? I haven’t got any grey cars yet for the record.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:32 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fonglik

Apart from the fact that you might have a bit eye fatigue with the grey, do you still recommend this gen’s Cayenne with QG to me? I haven’t got any grey cars yet for the record.
Yep, I do like the gray! I think it is a good color. I had heard on here that it was disappointing in person but I didn't have that impression when I first saw it. It's a nice gray and I do like that it doesn't have any brown in it like Agate does.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM
fonglik
AutoX

Originally Posted by BCA01
Yep, I do like the gray! I think it is a good color. I had heard on here that it was disappointing in person but I didn't have that impression when I first saw it. It's a nice gray and I do like that it doesn't have any brown in it like Agate does.
Got it! Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

QG was my second choice but the Black/Bourdeaux interior was definitely my first choice. I've had this same combo on 2 other Porsches of mine and I never get tired of it. I actually keep coming back to it....
Old 04-25-2019, 12:52 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I felt the opposite re the Quartzite Grey. I thought it looked dull on the configurator but was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the color in person.

I am ordering the Cayenne Coupe Turbo for my wife and she was pushing for white exterior, I told her that's not happening and she could choose just about any other color. She very much disliked QG when we were building the car online, but after seeing a QG Cayenne in person at the dealer, she loves it. I can understand how many grey colors can become dull over time but feel strongly that QG is not one of those. It has character to it that allows it to behave differently in different lights which makes it a dynamic option IMO. I am pushing for chalk but she's not having that so QG is the front runner for us...doesn't hurt that it's a free color option for the Turbo.

Regarding interior, I do not like loud or mix-leather combos (red interiors are a major eye sore to me). I am going with black leather but with Red Bordeaux accents (seat belts, deviated stitching and sport chrono gauge). It gives the interior character and a sporty feel that a plain all black interior would not accomplish but doesn't overdo the red.

Of course these are all personal taste items but you asked for opinions
Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

I tried to talk my wife out of Biscay Blue, but now I really like it. It's an interesting color that looks a little dull and gray when the car is inside or on a very cloudy day but comes alive in better weather. It also hides dirt very well and would probably also hide chips and other patina over time. So something to consider as a brighter alternative to QG.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 PM
fonglik
AutoX

Wow thank you all for your valuable inputs, kudos.

I will give the QG a second look, maybe in a sunny day for a better judgement. Interior wise I’m thinking either the black&bordeaux or full black with the aluminum decor panels (don’t know its exact name I just translate it from Chinese lol), plus I’m getting the Burmester so basically silver bits all over the whole black interior should be quite cool, I guess.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered my Cayenne S with the Quartz Grey and the Black/Bourdeaux interior. Loved the combo at the dealer and it wasn't even a second thought about ordering this combination!! It's elegant and classy but at the same time different and special in my opinion! Wife just asked please don't get those porches crests on the headrests she thought it was a little to much so I agreed! Gotta make the wife happy to if she gives you the thumbs up on a Porsche period! Good luck its a meal deal combo that you CAN'T go wrong with!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:02 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Tough to argue a subjective thing such as color choice -- this color looks better, that one ages better, whatever. What I would tell you is to go with your gut. What color sets you on fire a little when you look at it? That's what my wife ended up doing. (Adminittedly, the Cayenne color palette sort of sucks, so your fire may be more of a tiny little kindled flame.) When I stepped back and stopped trying to rationalize color to her re: maintenance and upkeep, she leaped on Moonlight Blue. I won't comment on how great (or not great) the color itself is, because that's a silly thing to do.

But, you make a good point about maintenance. I have a metallic black Chevy SS, and we may as well have another metallic black car with the MB Cayenne. It's a bear to keep clean and swirl-free -- no different than the black. But like any dark color, the richness and depth show through when clean in a way that you don't get with lighter colors.

All that being said, MB is a unique color that you don't see very often. Blacks and grays and silvers and whites are everywhere. Our SA, in fact, specifically told us (tongue-in-cheek), "Six out of 10 Cayennes we sell are black. Three more are white or silver or gray. Get the blue, dude. I'm tired of the same old thing." So if you value being different, it's a decent choice.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM
808MGuy
Track Day

My wife was all about QG until she saw it in person. She also said it looked too light and didn't have the same effect as a darker gray like the volcano on the Macan. Changed her mind last minute and went with Moonlight blue instead. While the Moonlight blue in pictures looks almost black, in sunlight it does have a bit of sparkle to it that you don't see in pictures. We are always about black interiors because we have 2 dogs.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 AM
newbie2p
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to the Porsche brand. Purchased a metallic black with Bordeaux/black interior and Burmester. Was concerned that Bordeaux interior would be too over the top and I would tire of it. But omg! I am in love! The black is a PITY to maintain but it looks absolutely amazing.

I also have a Mercedes CLA45 amg in silver with black leather with red seat belts and red stitching. It too is very sporty but I must say the Bordeaux is over the top gorgeous!

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 AM
fonglik
AutoX

Again thank you guys to chip in, much much appreciated! What a friendly and informative forum.

After visiting the dealer again today with my wife and we come up with something like this (code below).

We both like the Black/Bordeaux interior at first glance but considering we’ve got two young kids (1 and 6yo) and it might ages quick we kinda decide to go with the conservative full black with all the silver accents.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PK1N4GB4

Old 04-26-2019, 07:47 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 782 Posts

I was going to get QG. But then went in to the dealer and was drawn to a Cayenne on the floor. Didn't know what it was. It was Moonlight. Then went to the auto show and saw another one. Also Moonlight and just thought it sets the car off nicely. I went with Moonlight, still waiting for the car.

Moonlight is different and has some class to it while still packing some punch. I imagine it'll be harder to keep clean which is why I'm debating coating it.

As for interior. I wanted lighter. I like my wife's car with light greyish interior, brighter and more airy. Didn't want to pay for it on the Cayenne and went with beige interior or whatever Porsche calls it.

Quick Reply: Seriously torn with the color choices, NEED HELP!