Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

All-New 2020 GLS Looks Great But Is It Really a CY Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default All-New 2020 GLS Looks Great But Is It Really a CY Alternative?

Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Not in my opinion. There is no substitute for a Porsche. Period!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:42 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes for me. Need 3rd row! Love the GLS. Drives smaller than the Q7’s and larger in size. Suppose to be a Maybach version finally large high end luxury suv.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:08 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow. Looks sharp.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Not really the same category. It's larger than the Cayenne and puts luxury at the forefront, not performance. It won't have the Cayenne's off-road chops, either.

It's a looker, though. And when the full-on non-poseur AMG version is released, it'll probably give the Cayenne Turbo a run for its money in a straight line.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

GLE is more of the cayennes competitor
Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I have had three AMG's, and they were beasts. They are different cars; they feel and respond differently. Porsche is the purest of sports cars, followed by BMW, then Mercedes, and in that order according to their handling; tightness, responsiveness and speed. I love them all, but the Porsche is just different. It is in a different class. All wonderful cars with different personalities.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 PM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I have had three AMG's, and they were beasts. They are different cars; they feel and respond differently. Porsche is the purest of sports cars, followed by BMW, then Mercedes, and in that order according to their handling; tightness, responsiveness and speed. I love them all, but the Porsche is just different. It is in a different class. All wonderful cars with different personalities.
i had a Macan GTS and driven the GLC63 and I was shocked how good the GLC was. I’d bet it would give a good run for its money. The new GLE was super nice but that has optional 3rd row thus more of a Q7’s rival than the cayenne. I was really excited about the cayenne and was just disappointed with the drive experience compared to my Macan and sport turismo. Hated the panny and cayenne slow trans. I need to test drive a cayenne with air and real axle steer to fully evaluate my decision. Maybe wait for the GTS and give it another shot.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 AM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For this kind of money I want to see a visually attractive dash, with nice bezels and design. Like a watch, but smart. Not a rectangular ipad that looks stuck on the dash. Its not even integrated. Really not what I want to look at.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't think they are really competitors. Might sound crazy, but the Cayenne is our "small" car. We have a family of 5, so need the 3 row SUV. The Cayenne fits all 3 kids for short drives (up to an hour or so if necessary), but no way in he*l are we going on a road trip in it with the 3 kids.

We also have an Infiniti 3 row crossover now and as the kids are getting bigger, it's getting traded in next year for something bigger. And something more reliable as we have about a year left on the warranty (it's spent about 5-6 weeks in the dealership in the last 3 months on separate occasions). Likely will end up with an Escalade or something on the larger side that will be used to haul to sports, trips, etc. GLS might be a good option to look at as well. Originally was going to go with the Infiniti QX80, but at this point I'm done w/ Infiniti unless their quality goes another direction.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd say that regardless of how these vehicles are labeled (i.e 'full size' or 'mid size' SUV) they are not comps at all. The GLS is a lot bigger, a true three row luxo-barge, in the BMW X7 scale. The Cayenne's comps are the GLE and X5.

I agree with @SilverSteel in terms of how I'd characterize each brand's offerings.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts

If Porsche comes out with a 7 seater my life will be complete lol....Otherwise this might have to do. Although the new X7 is nice.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I can't argue with your Macan comment--loved that car, but I'm 6'3 and need a back seat, or I would have bought it. Have you driven the Turbo Cayenne?

Originally Posted by gtr
i had a Macan GTS and driven the GLC63 and I was shocked how good the GLC was. I’d bet it would give a good run for its money. The new GLE was super nice but that has optional 3rd row thus more of a Q7’s rival than the cayenne. I was really excited about the cayenne and was just disappointed with the drive experience compared to my Macan and sport turismo. Hated the panny and cayenne slow trans. I need to test drive a cayenne with air and real axle steer to fully evaluate my decision. Maybe wait for the GTS and give it another shot.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Panzerwagen
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 AM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I can't argue with your Macan comment--loved that car, but I'm 6'3 and need a back seat, or I would have bought it. Have you driven the Turbo Cayenne?
I would have kept the Macan if it had rear leg space. The Q5 had decent rear seat space but not the Macan. Porsche did a wonderful job making it annoy people so they move up to the Cayenne. I have not driven the Cayenne Turbo yet. The problem with the Cayenne Turbo would be the Panamera GTS. The Panamera just feel like a higher quality car with less NVH. The big problem with the Panamera is that it sits too low and 911 like. Wish Porsche understand that if I want sit like a 911 I'll just dive a 911. It should sit higher with ease to get in and out and a spare tire for daily. The look alike Benz GT4 is even less practical with head bumping A pillars. So difficult to find the ultimate daily with kids.

If Porsche make a 3rd row option, PDK and drives like a Macan I'll be sold. I'm considering GLS after checking out the new GLE. Wish they kept the radio dial but that is gone.

Quick Reply: All-New 2020 GLS Looks Great But Is It Really a CY Alternative?