Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
The conventional brakes squeak (more than squeal) WITHOUT application of the brakes, but only at low speeds (i.e., when driving slowly through any alley). The sound is rotational - squeak, squeak, squeak - and not a constant squeal.
Yes, that’s a great explanation of the actual sound that we are experiencing from the PSCB but not the conventional cast iron rotors.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An update on the PSCB squeal. 10 days out from having the fourth visit to the dealer and the squeal / squeak is getting louder by the day. It's at a level when picking up my daughter from school yesterday, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked over to check on the car to see what was going on. I was on the phone with PCNA rep who has handled my case since january. She is a very pleasant woman and has a difficult job of course. She informed me that I need to take the car back to the dealer to have their expert technician from another dealership visit and make sure that the work was properly done! (the work was done at one of the "premier" dealerships). She also made it sound like this is the first such case she has heard of which I find not believable.

Unfortunately, I have reached the end of my road with this and will be taking a different approach. I really hope others find a resolution, but don't wait for Porsche to make it easy for you..
Old 06-13-2019, 09:10 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
Unfortunately, I have reached the end of my road with this and will be taking a different approach. I really hope others find a resolution, but don't wait for Porsche to make it easy for you..
Hideous. I wish you the best of luck on getting the resolution you deserve.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An update on the PSCB squeal. 10 days out from having the fourth visit to the dealer and the squeal / squeak is getting louder by the day. It's at a level when picking up my daughter from school yesterday, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked over to check on the car to see what was going on. I was on the phone with PCNA rep who has handled my case since january. She is a very pleasant woman and has a difficult job of course. She informed me that I need to take the car back to the dealer to have their expert technician from another dealership visit and make sure that the work was properly done! (the work was done at one of the "premier" dealerships). She also made it sound like this is the first such case she has heard of which I find not believable.

Feel for ya...I recently canceled the order on our 20 Cayenne with conventional brakes. The GSM we purchased from said brake squeal is normal on all Porsche's (which I personally know is not the case after owning many over the years). The main service writer at our local dealership said some squeal and some don't and even under similar driving styles, he also said bedding the brakes does NOT cure the issue long term. MB went through this years ago and finally determined their rotors were slightly out of spec and just enough to set up a vibration, hence the squeal, After months of the same kinds of excuses that all hp brakes squeal, it's normal etc etc etc MB issued a TSB with new part #'s and the squeal was permanently remedied. I have owned far more than my fair share of P cars and not one ever had a brake squeal. But I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $100k on an SUV and gamble if we get stuck with one that sounds like a school bus Porsche won't correct it.

Last edited by 500RJC; 06-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I too found PCNA full of BS - making it sound as if this is the very first time they are hearing about it. It's a hassle but those of us impacted should be calling PCNA repeatedly to make "noise" (like their lousy brakes) and asking our dealer's Service Managers (not just SAs) to follow-up with Porsche's regional technical reps. Eventually PCNA may act....

In the meantime, going back to dealership on this issue - I don't expect anything substantive but it will help document the issue ....I am thinking of other options with PCNA as well.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:40 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the CTT being in the shop since Monday, I finally received an update from my SA.
The service manager had to get ahold of the regional rep to see what the next step is after the pad replacement did not fix the issue. I am now being told that it could be caused by air being in the brake lines and that they need to bleed the brakes. I'm still calling B.S.!

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a design problem with the calipers and not something that can be fixed without replacing them with a new design.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:11 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonRite
I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a design problem with the calipers and not something that can be fixed without replacing them with a new design.
PSCB squeal is such a strange thing. The calipers look to be very similar if not identical in many was to those on our PCCB-equipped Turbo. Yet we are still silent, and I have seen no reports of PCCB noise here.

I tend to think the squeal is related to improper pad retraction — otherwise, why would the noise be present during low-speed driving without braking? The $64K question is, what’s the difference between that function for PSCB versus PCCB?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 PM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2020 is locking this week and this thread is making me nervous. If my car has 1 bit of brake squeal when it arrives I'm not writing the check. I dont mind an occasional squeal when on the brakes, that I understand, but brake squeal while off the brakes is totally unacceptable. This is my 6th cayenne (turbo).
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911NV
My 2020 is locking this week and this thread is making me nervous. If my car has 1 bit of brake squeal when it arrives I'm not writing the check. I dont mind an occasional squeal when on the brakes, that I understand, but brake squeal while off the brakes is totally unacceptable. This is my 6th cayenne (turbo).
The brake noise starts after ~2500 miles ...works fine when new for the first couple of thousand miles and then deteriorates over time
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo power
The brake noise starts after ~2500 miles ...works fine when new for the first couple of thousand miles and then deteriorates over time
Does anybody know if this squeal is covered under warranty?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

FWIW, I have no sound whatsoever from my Panamera with PSCBs, now nearly 5000 miles.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 911NV
The problem is you’re not gonna notice it when you take it for a drive around the block with no miles on it. The PSCB squeak starts to occur over time. Mine didn’t start as soon as I drove off the lot.
On a better note, I have 4300 miles and my PSCB squeak is now gone !!!!!!!!! So there may be hope for some of you that are still experiencing it. However I must say that my squeal was kind of intermittent and wasn’t there all the time. Slowly over time it became more intermittent and is now finally gone
Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
The problem is you’re not gonna notice it when you take it for a drive around the block with no miles on it. The PSCB squeak starts to occur over time. Mine didn’t start as soon as I drove off the lot.
On a better note, I have 4300 miles and my PSCB squeak is now gone !!!!!!!!! So there may be hope for some of you that are still experiencing it. However I must say that my squeal was kind of intermittent and wasn’t there all the time. Slowly over time it became more intermittent and is now finally gone
This is good to hear - keeping fingers crossed as I went to my dealership and was advised that Porsche is aware of this issue but no fix yet. So I am stuck with the noise but it is getting somewhat intermittent...

Also someone above mentioned a Panamera with PSCBs-- I think these brakes are only offered on the Cayenne currently.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here’s a thought. The only issues I’ve heard have been in USA and one car in UK.
Could this be related to the horrendous state of the roads? Certainly in North America tires and wheels take a hell of a knock around on the potholes, cracks and raised and pitted tarmac. Also a lot of loose gravel from road service attempts flying about.
Reminds me of a story when Siemens won a contract for new trains for the London underground and literally had to import entire sections of actual track to Germany to calibrate the trains...
Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt the roads have anything to do with the squealing of either the PSCB or standard brakes.

As of now it appears there is no verified fix for either of these brakes....

Porsche, if you haven't realized it by now, most customers do not want, nor will tolerate brake squeal...

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?