Sponsored By:

Thermal Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thermal Glass

Any real life issues with cell phone reception? I know Porsche suggestes the cell phone cradle/booster (still time to add to our order) but we have theramal glass in our S classs and cell phone reception nor sun pass is an issue.

I'd rather not add the phone crade if I dont really have to, as it takes up quite a bit of space in the small console compartment.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:33 PM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I searched this on the panamera forums and several posts said "we don't notice a cell phone signal reduction". I didn't find one that said the signal was reduced. I did see many posts that said they loved it. I'm leaving this in our build (and not buying the huge cradle that doesn't even support inductive charging!).
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 PM
moulari
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We have thermal glass and see no reduction in cell signal.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen no problems so far with cellphone reception with the thermal glass. The Smartphone Compartment does take up a lot of room. The problem I am having is with SunPass. I have yet to get it to work. I placed the SunPass as indicated in the manual but no dice. My SA looked closely at the area around the mirror to see where the SunPass should be placed. And, indeed on close examination there was a patch of glass on both sides of the mirror that was lighter in color with some cross hatch marks. Also in the area on the passenger side was an upside down "L" mark which the SA positioned the top left edge of the square SunPass. I hope that works. The only other solution is to place the SunPass inside the Panoramic roof which is not thermal glass. Apparently that is what they are doing for Panameras.
Any insights from others on toll device issue is much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Does your cell phone work inside your home, apartment or other buildings? Now consider the volume and density of materials there vs an extra couple millimeters of glass. Not hard to figure out.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Ok, so I emailed my dealer and asked if I should add it and he didnt reply buy sent a revised order with it included...I took this as his wway of saying to add it. I also spoke to a top rep at another dealership who's very knowledgable and spent 20+ years selling p cars and also instructs racing them, he tells me the signal is reduced and to absolutely get the craddle.

After dong some research it's the metal oxide that makes up the reflective element in the glass that causes the issue, not the glass itself. It's the same reason why some office buildings with reflective glass may have very poor cell reception.

The fact our S class has no issues and some here don't either makes me wonder.

I truly dont like the idea of the giant cradle either and would rather use the $560 for rear side motorized window blinds or something else.

What should i do?

Only have a few days left to change order.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's take the claim at face value and say the metal oxide coating in the glass somehow blocks a substantial portion of the cell phone signal.

First, does no one at Porsche own cell phones? Wouldn't they have tested this and think it's a bad idea?

Second, is the entire upper portion of your car, including the roof and pillars, also coated with this cell phone blocking substance?

Logic would tell us that the claims, if true, would have negligible actual impact unless you're so far remote that you're barely clinging to signal from a single tower. And even then, despite bluetooth, you'll also choose to position your phone in such a way as to have the coated glass blocking the signal.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but it's your money.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carsly
Let's take the claim at face value and say the metal oxide coating in the glass somehow blocks a substantial portion of the cell phone signal.

First, does no one at Porsche own cell phones? Wouldn't they have tested this and think it's a bad idea?

Second, is the entire upper portion of your car, including the roof and pillars, also coated with this cell phone blocking substance?

Logic would tell us that the claims, if true, would have negligible actual impact unless you're so far remote that you're barely clinging to signal from a single tower. And even then, despite bluetooth, you'll also choose to position your phone in such a way as to have the coated glass blocking the signal.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but it's your money.
As mentioned, when I asked/emailed for my rep's opinion about adding it, he added it to my order today without confirming w/me (just thought it was his way of saying he felt it should be added.)

As I also mentioned it's never been an issue with our S class cars.

Weird Porsche makes note of it though, or perhaps it's to sell the cradle option.

I will email delaer in the morning and have it removed.

FYI if you're in an office building with poor cell service it may be instinctive to move closer to a window but that may make things worse if its a newer building with low e glass.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:18 AM
moulari
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Would it help if I take a pic of my phone in the car and out of the car?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 AM
porscherex
Pro

The Smartphone Compartment is designed to boost the signal. My SA, who has been selling P cars for a long time and who is a national top producer, said that he has not received complaints about problems with reception with the thermal glass. But here in central Florida reception is very good so even if the thermal glass reduced reception somewhat it would go unnoticed. I got the Smartphone Compartment because I travel to places with very poor AT&T reception like the NC mountains. It will help my reception in marginal areas. I would not have gotten the Smartphone Compartment otherwise.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I have seen no problems so far with cellphone reception with the thermal glass. The Smartphone Compartment does take up a lot of room. The problem I am having is with SunPass. I have yet to get it to work. I placed the SunPass as indicated in the manual but no dice. My SA looked closely at the area around the mirror to see where the SunPass should be placed. And, indeed on close examination there was a patch of glass on both sides of the mirror that was lighter in color with some cross hatch marks. Also in the area on the passenger side was an upside down "L" mark which the SA positioned the top left edge of the square SunPass. I hope that works. The only other solution is to place the SunPass inside the Panoramic roof which is not thermal glass. Apparently that is what they are doing for Panameras.
Where did you hear/read this? Just curious as I have yet to install my EZPass in my new Panamera...
Old 03-08-2019, 12:31 PM
500RJC
Instructor

- -
Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by moulari
Would it help if I take a pic of my phone in the car and out of the car?
To show how much space the cradle takes up? If so sure. Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 12:38 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by porscherex
But you have the cradle, so are you saying you saw no issues before activating it? Thanks
Old 03-08-2019, 10:42 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Where did you hear/read this? Just curious as I have yet to install my EZPass in my new Panamera...
My SA told me. Apparently it can be placed anywhere inside the panoramic roof just don't obstruct the view. Seems to be a routine placement. In Florida there are toll sensors overhead and toll sensors at car level. Panoramic placement would be fine for the overhead sensors. He had not heard anything negative with car level sensors either.

Quick Reply: Thermal Glass