Motortrend 2019 Cayenne First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:33 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Motortrend 2019 Cayenne First Drive

Just read it. A few interesting quotes:

1) Porsche claims that the third-gen Cayenne should weigh 4,377 pounds. We weighed one and it clocked in at 4,676, just about 300 lbs more than Porsche claims.
2) Standard steel springs and dampers had a sweeter ride, even liked the handling better over the damp, twisting, climbing, plunging, and redwood-lined roads of Napa, Sonoma...
3) Found the air suspension to be a bit vague in Comfort and a bit artificial feeling in aggressive modes
4) Compared to the standard brakes, the PSCBs feel three times as effective
5) Porsche may have just nailed its target audience by building a nice-looking, comfy-riding, practical, spacious SUV with a seriously desirable badge

Given the larger size of the PSCBs, they for sure added to the overall weight increase but not 300 lbs worth. The air suspension may have added some weight as well.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche claimed weight is without options, Pano roof alone is +160lbs
I guess Porsche made a huge mistake configuring AS as standard in the alpha dog Turbo model 😏

Last edited by Galion; 03-03-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
Just read it. A few interesting quotes:

1) Porsche claims that the third-gen Cayenne should weigh 4,377 pounds. We weighed one and it clocked in at 4,676, just about 300 lbs more than Porsche claims.
2) Standard steel springs and dampers had a sweeter ride, even liked the handling better over the damp, twisting, climbing, plunging, and redwood-lined roads of Napa, Sonoma...
3) Found the air suspension to be a bit vague in Comfort and a bit artificial feeling in aggressive modes
4) Compared to the standard brakes, the PSCBs feel three times as effective
5) Porsche may have just nailed its target audience by building a nice-looking, comfy-riding, practical, spacious SUV with a seriously desirable badge

Given the larger size of the PSCBs, they for sure added to the overall weight increase but not 300 lbs worth. The air suspension may have added some weight as well.
also from same article :
"Porsche states that it decided to go with a "real" automatic because it's better for towing. I'll call BS on that; the new Cayenne uses the eight-speed auto because all the other SUVs built on MLB Evo use the ZF eight-speed. In other words, there's no dual-clutch transmission that would fit. Case closed. A "hang-on transfer case" shuttles power to the front axle, but don't let that nomenclature lead you to expect low-range gearing."
Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by london123
also from same article :
"Porsche states that it decided to go with a "real" automatic because it's better for towing. I'll call BS on that; the new Cayenne uses the eight-speed auto because all the other SUVs built on MLB Evo use the ZF eight-speed. In other words, there's no dual-clutch transmission that would fit. Case closed. A "hang-on transfer case" shuttles power to the front axle, but don't let that nomenclature lead you to expect low-range gearing."
I am not exactly folllowing you. The old and new Panamera has had the same engines with awd and pdk. I dont think the PDK can keep up with the towing weights. Macans have the PDK and tow from about 4000-5000 lbs. Not really enough for Cayennes. The clutches in a PDK are no match for a true torque converter.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

I am not exactly folllowing you. The old and new Panamera has had the same engines with awd and pdk. I dont think the PDK can keep up with the towing weights. Macans have the PDK and tow from about 4000-5000 lbs. Not really enough for Cayennes. The clutches in a PDK are no match for a true torque converter.
This is exactly why I chose not to include the quote. I thought the author was completely off base calling BS.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Porsche also lists the weight as dry. So you need to also add all the fluid weight. Full gas tank would add 142lbs.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just being picky, but my understanding is that the suspension system has been changed to aluminum. So comment #2 "steel springs" isn't really accurate. The reviewer sees a slight redesign, but from what I understand 19 is almost a completely new vehicle
Old 03-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo
Just being picky, but my understanding is that the suspension system has been changed to aluminum. So comment #2 "steel springs" isn't really accurate. The reviewer sees a slight redesign, but from what I understand 19 is almost a completely new vehicle
Springs are made of steel. The other parts of the suspension are aluminum.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Motor trend dude who wrote that is a huge ----- in my opinion!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 AM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Springs are made of steel. The other parts of the suspension are aluminum.
Dang, I thought I had something there. Hahahahah.

Quick Reply: Motortrend 2019 Cayenne First Drive