Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Glad you’ve got a sense of humor about all this. I’m gonna show my wife this weekend how to play the wrench reset game. You know, in case the car rolls over and plays dead while I’m not immediately available.

I find it ridiculous that I’m even typing this, much less actually doing it. Just goes to show you that spending gobs of money doesn’t necessarily buy you a better product (only electronically, in this case).

I have heard rumors of three new options to be released on the configurator this weekend: Carbon-look Box Wrench, 10mm, $750; Embossed Leather Wrench Pouch, $500; Deviated Stitching for Embossed Leather Wrench Pouch, $2,000.

Get ‘em before they go the way of PSCB!
The following 2 users liked this post by JCWLS3:
Aliboy (11-03-2021), Oldbro (07-13-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 PM
LMB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All kidding aside, this is a real issue. It does not strike frequently but it does happen. It may have increased probability of occurring if or when the Cayenne is not driven for a few or several days. There really is a gateway control box that is located under the driver seat. It has a backup battery. Resetting the gateway generally allows the car to start again (no jumping required). Resetting the gateway not only allows the car to start but it also saves all of your custom settings (disconnecting the battery under the passenger floorboard may not). Disconnecting the battery is not known to allow the car to start, or not at this point.

I received my Cayenne back. No parts were replaced. No firmware was upgraded. Porsche made the call. Porsche is working very hard to find the right combination of events that is causing this in order to find a fix for all owners. This is my fifth Cayenne. Aside from the way the electronics operate and this serious issue, the car is one dream to drive. My last seven cars have been Porsches. I had no or very little trouble with any of them, until now. I believe in Porsche's quality and I believe in Porsche's determination to solve this issue.

My dealer has been involved and right on top of this issue from the minute I notified them. They have been working with Porsche to provide all the information desired.

Yes, it gets a little tense every time I have to start the Cayenne when I am out of my garage.

I have every confidence that my dealer and Porsche working together, will find a solid solution.

I also believe that every Porsche owner that could possibly be affected, have knowledge of that possibility.

Last edited by LMB; 02-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM
LMB
Advanced

Porsche
Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, just about to place an order and now I’m concerned. When we travel, the car stays at the airport for 7-10days and I don’t want the family to arrive back to a dead car. Now I’m thinking i should just wait until the 2nd year model as i would imagine all the current gremlins will be worked out. Any other issues i should be aware of?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 PM
LMB
Advanced

I feel confident that Porsche will have this resolved soon. If you place an order, it most likely will not be here until April-May. The issue, if it had been known to me back in October when I ordered, would NOT have stopped me from ordering.

I have only had my car since 12/17 and 14 days were not available to me. I have encountered no other issues. The electronics can be a bit annoying but software can continue improving them.

I have full faith in Porsche and my Dealer.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:18 AM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by LMB
I feel confident that Porsche will have this resolved soon. If you place an order, it most likely will not be here until April-May. The issue, if it had been known to me back in October when I ordered, would NOT have stopped me from ordering.

I have only had my car since 12/17 and 14 days were not available to me. I have encountered no other issues. The electronics can be a bit annoying but software can continue improving them.

I have full faith in Porsche and my Dealer.
I was told end of June which I would prefer, so maybe I’ll wait another month before placing an order and thank you for your vote of confidence.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LMB
All kidding aside, this is a real issue. It does not strike frequently but it does happen. It may have increased probability of occurring if or when the Cayenne is not driven for a few or several days. There really is a gateway control box that is located under the driver seat. It has a backup battery. Resetting the gateway generally allows the car to start again (no jumping required). Resetting the gateway not only allows the car to start but it also saves all of your custom settings (disconnecting the battery under the passenger floorboard may not). Disconnecting the battery is not known to allow the car to start, or not at this point.
LMB, do you know how to reset the gateway?

Even as a newbie, I too believe in Porsche's reputation for quality. You have direct experience with it. I am relying on years and years of positive feedback from the mainstream automotive press. I'll take yours any day.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with this problem. I think it is important, considering how serious it is. Other than the steering going wonky or the car shutting down while driving, I can't think of anything much more serious than being stranded and watching your new, very expensive sports SUV being flatbedded to the dealer, with no real diagnosis or fix provided.

Finally, I can confirm through direct experience that disconnecting the battery will cause the car to lose all custom settings -- chassis and engine configuration; radio presets; Porsche ID; all other preferences.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 PM
LMB
Advanced

My dealer told me what he did to reset the gateway, which seems to work (he actually started my Cayenne on the flatbed!) rather than disconnect the battery and have to redo every custom setting.

So, I have not yet had to do this and hope I do not have to do it. Here is the explanation: The gateway is an electronic box with a wireless telephone like backup battery. It is located about one third of the depth of the front drivers seat bottom back from the front of the drivers seat and is underneath the drivers seat. It has a connector with cable(s) going into it. Unplug the connector and wait about 30 seconds or so before plugging back in. The problem is that four bolts holding the drivers seat must be removed and the seat then tilted backwards to get to the gateway. It appears that the gateway hanging up is what is preventing the emergency starting procedure which is described in the owners manual from actually working. This procedure, if done properly, is pretty much a fully successful way to start the Cayenne every time. You actually just turn the ignition key after resetting the gateway to start and there is no battery jumping required.

I asked the dealer if he felt we could install a switch on this gateway cable to avoid the seat bolt business and use that instead to reset the gateway. He indicated some possible issues with resistance, etc but would run it past Porsche.

I have had my Cayenne back for two days now. Yesterday I had to make several stops with my Wife but we left the car running all day as only one of us got out at a stop.
Today, I was by myself so did shut the car off. It started. Pretty sad.

Yesterday while my Wife was in the drugstore, I got out, left my door open a threw some trash away. A guy beside me said hey you forgot to close your door. I said that I left the car running and why. He said pretty sad on a car like that. He left and then came back and offered to watch the car if I needed to go in!!!!!!

I hope this helps with your question.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:28 PM
LMB
Advanced

I posted a detailed reply but it went to the moderator for review. There was nothing caustic in it so not sure why. I do not have a copy. Hopefully it will show up.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:17 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

What? That makes no sense. NONE.

I look forward to reading it soon.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB
I posted a detailed reply but it went to the moderator for review. There was nothing caustic in it so not sure why. I do not have a copy. Hopefully it will show up.
I "approved" it. I have no idea why some posts from low post count people end up being moderated. Sometimes it appears the length may trigger this. Unfortunately - despite what the forum tells you - no moderator gets a notification that a post needs approval. The only way we know this is (1) if we read every thread end to end in the forum (2) if someone reports the non-approved post to us (as was done in this case.)

So - my advice is - if your post doesn't appear - let someone know. I'm hoping to have a new moderator dedicated to this subforum (9Y0).. so that might mean these will get spotted sooner. Since I don't own one, I only wander over here about once a day to see if anything is on fire, so I could easily miss a non-approved posting. The new moderator does own a 9Y0 - so I imagine he'd hang out here a lot more than I do.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:02 AM
LMB
Advanced

Thank you very much!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB
Hello, I am a new member and five time Cayenne owner. I have not found any mention of my problem in this discussion board. If I just did not see it, I am sorry. About three weeks after delivery it acted as if the battery was completely dead. I progressed from thinking it was not reading the key fob to inoperable emergency starting instructions in the owners manual. Porsche Roadside sent two battery jumpers and both encountered the same result. The car would not accept the charge or jump as the manual indicated it would. The only remedy was to flat bed to the dealer. I understand there are other Cayennes with this same problem. There is a service advisory and Porsche Germany is analyzing my Cayenne output readings. I could go on with more details but believe I should leave the first post here. I hope I am not out of order. This is by far the most serious problem I have encountered with a Cayenne, Macon, or 911. I would like to know if anyone out there has any knowledge of this problem. Thank you!
How about an update, has this issue come back, or has it been resolved?
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM
LMB
Advanced

Originally Posted by 500RJC
How about an update, has this issue come back, or has it been resolved?
The issue returned after a few days back. We had another flatbed transport to the dealer. It has been sitting in their shop since. We are currently looking at 40 non available days since we took possession on 12/17. The dealer did replace a couple of non related items which should have never escaped Porsche's inspection while the vehicle has been quarantined.

The dealers understanding is that a software fix should be available in another 1-2 weeks. That is supposed to fix the issue. I have not had that commitment from Porsche directly as I would have liked.

Upon the second failure, I opened dialogue with Porsche on a higher level. Porsche escalated it beyond that but communications action has been non existent. I escalated to yet another level today. We'll see what happens. I have been very congenial throughout this whole mess. Unfortunately and unhappily, I am loosing my Porsche loyalty.

I do not know if I can, or will, have confidence in this particular vehicle, ever.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by LMB
The issue returned after a few days back. We had another flatbed transport to the dealer. It has been sitting in their shop since. We are currently looking at 40 non available days since we took possession on 12/17. The dealer did replace a couple of non related items which should have never escaped Porsche's inspection while the vehicle has been quarantined.

The dealers understanding is that a software fix should be available in another 1-2 weeks. That is supposed to fix the issue. I have not had that commitment from Porsche directly as I would have liked.

Upon the second failure, I opened dialogue with Porsche on a higher level. Porsche escalated it beyond that but communications action has been non existent. I escalated to yet another level today. We'll see what happens. I have been very congenial throughout this whole mess. Unfortunately and unhappily, I am loosing my Porsche loyalty.

I do not know if I can, or will, have confidence in this particular vehicle, ever.
I hope they have given you a decent loaner in the meantime. This is another reason I will never buy a new released model. Sounds like you have a lemon at this point and they should buy it back. What would you replace it with if given the opportunity? Hopefully they’ll take it back and give you another new one without this problem as it might just be an isolated event.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne fails to start