Sponsored By:

PSA: Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows & EZ Pass

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Vancouver is a little crazy - only two Porsche dealers and a lot of people with money. Plus for some time it was impossible to buy anything because of gray exports. Canada is one of the cheapest markets, so many were buying here and shipping to China and other high-priced regions. Porsche supposedly stopped that now, but the dealers got used to driving a hard bargain. Some years ago I had to pull in a favor just to get a 911 Turbo S with Euro delivery at MSRP, after 4 dealers told me either "no" or to come back in a year. Toronto is a much more saturated market, so I'd definitely ask for something off.
I'm going to try for more than 2%, but as you said earlier I am also trying to build a relationship to keep GT allocations coming my way.

Exporting Cayennes to China I'm sure was quite lucrative. I stopped by the dealer in Beijing last Jan and they had a Cayenne Turbo for the equivalent of $449,000 CAD.

Are you not seeing a cooling down with the luxury tax? Also reading about property values dropping there. I mean foreign cash probably isn't impacted all that much, these things help some of that foreign cash get clean.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 AM
RobOK
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc_p
Right - had attached the toll passes as indicated, but what you posted also clearly discloses that reception may be restricted for vehicles with thermally and noise insulated glass.
Any progress on this topic? The posted documentation (thank you!) is unclear. Is the yellow area for *normal windshields and then it *won't work for Thermal and noise insulated? I am having this exact problem and the fines are mounting! It does work on the sunroof. so for now we are manually holding up to the sunroof when we go through which is not ideal and not always practical or safe.

Is there anyone that can check with a Porsche source and get some advice about the Thermal Glass in particular?

Thanks,
Rob.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:37 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1. Porsche, there's has to be a solution.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There have been quite a few here on various threads related to this subject saying no issues with sun/easy pass or cell phone...wonder why this only affects some and not others.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:03 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
There have been quite a few here on various threads related to this subject saying no issues with sun/easy pass or cell phone...wonder why this only affects some and not others.
I have been watching this issue closely. It is the cell phone that seems not to be effected by the thermal glass. So far I have not seen a solution to the toll pass issue other than perhaps placing it on the Panoramic roof. Let me know if I have missed something.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I have been watching this issue closely. It is the cell phone that seems not to be effected by the thermal glass. So far I have not seen a solution to the toll pass issue other than perhaps placing it on the Panoramic roof. Let me know if I have missed something.
I have this issue on my '18 Panamera with the thermal glass. Getting toll by mail emails. Going to try another location on the windshield to see if that works. Unfortunately and ironically, what would be helpful is an old school toll booth with a gate. I could move the EZ Pass around until it went up. Unfortunately the only ones I know of that are still like that are at airport parking lot exits. Not convenient to go check lol.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I posted a thread inquiring about this and remember some saying they had no issues with either. We have the suction cup version of SunPass, no issues ever on our MB S Coupes with TG but if it becomes an issue on the CY and if the pano roof location doesn't work we would just hold out the window as we pass through the toll area.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500RJC
I posted a thread inquiring about this and remember some saying they had no issues with either. We have the suction cup version of SunPass, no issues ever on our MB S Coupes with TG but if it becomes an issue on the CY and if the pano roof location doesn't work we would just hold out the window as we pass through the toll area.
Driving around the NYC tri-state area on the regular, this would not be an option IMO. Way too many times/places you'd have to do this.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 AM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Radar detectors have problems too
Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM
raoden
Track Day

I am still struggling with my EZPass in NJ. It randomly works. I replaced my EZPass thinking it was an issue with the pass itself. No luck. Now I am considering an externally mounted solution.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:21 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raoden
I am still struggling with my EZPass in NJ. It randomly works. I replaced my EZPass thinking it was an issue with the pass itself. No luck. Now I am considering an externally mounted solution.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 AM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What's wrong with just mounting a toll responder on the underside of the sunroof? No problems there right?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsclarke
What's wrong with just mounting a toll responder on the underside of the sunroof? No problems there right?
In the Panamera at least it would interfere with the sliding shade. My transponder and sticky tape are a little too bulky to fit, and I have the newer, smaller transponder available in our area. Does the Cayenne not have a sliding shade?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
raoden
Track Day

Originally Posted by jsclarke
Does it cause any problems the sliding heat shield that covers the sunroof? I do open the heat shield all the time. I hope it doesn't interfere with that.

If it will not cause an issue, it is still an odd place to mount it. Do you remove it if you decide open your sunroof?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

In Southern California, thetollroads.com just sent us a letter saying they are replacing transponders with a sticker in June. So a sticker shouldn't affect the shade at all. Even my small transponder is attached to the sunroof on my MB E300 and doesn't interfere with the operation of the sunroof or shade.

But coming up- really hoping those of us in CA won't have issues with the sticker being read either through the 2 "magic" spots on either side of the rear view mirror mounting or the sunroof.

Quick Reply: PSA: Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows & EZ Pass