Sponsored By:

PSA: Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows & EZ Pass

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM
nyc_p
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA: Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows & EZ Pass

Picked up my Cayenne S today with the Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows.

Had a nasty surprise driving back home in that the toll gates were not picking up my EZ Pass (based in NJ) tag.

We called the dealer, and they said that we would need to install an external tag (drilling into the "grill" to prevent theft).

As a last resort, tried what would happen if the EZ Pass was mounted against the panoramic sunroof - turns out that with this placement, the toll gates can pick up the tag.

PSA for anyone thinking of ordering the insulated windows as an option (particularly if without a sunroof).
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc_p
Picked up my Cayenne S today with the Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows.

Had a nasty surprise driving back home in that the toll gates were not picking up my EZ Pass (based in NJ) tag.

We called the dealer, and they said that we would need to install an external tag (drilling into the "grill" to prevent theft).

As a last resort, tried what would happen if the EZ Pass was mounted against the panoramic sunroof - turns out that with this placement, the toll gates can pick up the tag.

PSA for anyone thinking of ordering the insulated windows as an option (particularly if without a sunroof).
There is supposed to be an area on the windshield near the central mirror mount that passes the signal through. At least it's there in other cars with similar set up. Worth checking the manual before drilling.

Here it is described in Macan manual, for example: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...7/Toll-Devices
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM
nyc_p
Track Day

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
There is supposed to be an area on the windshield near the central mirror mount that passes the signal through. At least it's there in other cars with similar set up. Worth checking the manual before drilling.

Here it is described in Macan manual, for example: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...7/Toll-Devices
I could not find any written documentation on this option for the 2019 Cayenne.

Presumably if there was a suitable placement on the windshield, the dealer would know (but I could be wrong).
Old 01-14-2019, 12:52 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not find any written documentation on this option for the 2019 Cayenne.

Presumably if there was a suitable placement on the windshield, the dealer would know (but I could be wrong).
here you go.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:07 PM
nyc_p
Track Day

Originally Posted by phatchunk99
here you go.
Right - had attached the toll passes as indicated, but what you posted also clearly discloses that reception may restricted for vehicles with thermally and noise insulated glass.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Right - had attached the toll passes as indicated, but what you posted also clearly discloses that reception may restricted for vehicles with thermally and noise insulated glass.
Maybe as in restricted to those areas only? Worth trying before doing something more elaborate anyway.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the thermal glass also but have not yet gone through any tolls with Florida's SunPass. I have mounted the SunPass (a thin sticker) as indicated in the Cayenne manual. If that doesn't work the only solution my SA had was to place the sticker on the inside of the panoramic roof. Hoping this is not an issue.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM
porscherex
Pro

My Florida SunPass (the sticker that's placed on the inside of the windshield) does not work. 😡. It was placed in the area suggested in the manual. My SA had no answer for me other than placing the SunPass on the inside of the panoramic roof. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 PM
raoden
Track Day

Does this apply to heated windshields as well? I have a base cayenne with heated windshield and having issues with EZPass not being recognized
Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

All this is getting me worried - does the cell phone work normally in the insulated glass version (outside of the cellphone compartment)? I did not order cell phone compartment because I never put phone in there, but now I'm worried that the glass may be blocking the signal without it.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

All this is getting me worried - does the cell phone work normally in the insulated glass version (outside of the cellphone compartment)? I did not order cell phone compartment because I never put phone in there, but now I'm worried that the glass may be blocking the signal without it.
Maybe that's why they have the cell compartment, more so for those who option the various glass options. Supposedly boosts signal.

Did you get your Cayenne in Canada? What discount did you get? PM or post if you don't mind.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 AM
porscherex
Pro

The manual states that thermal glass may reduce cell reception. My SA did not have an answer although he did say that those who got after market tinting sold by his dealership that has the same thermal material as the thermal glass have not had any issues.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Maybe that's why they have the cell compartment, more so for those who option the various glass options. Supposedly boosts signal.

Did you get your Cayenne in Canada? What discount did you get? PM or post if you don't mind.
Got it in Canada, no discount, but I'm in a high-demand area (Vancouver) and there were some circumstances - basically, I wanted the first Cayenne Turbo available (not for bragging rights - needed to replace the current one) and a new RS at MSRP and with Euro delivery, which costs them extra money. So they told me that asking for a discount on top of that would be too much to ask. Eventually, I had to postpone my Cayenne order due to the options availability, so getting the first Turbo did not work out, and I am not doing a euro delivery of the RS, so my "extra requests" did not fully materialize. But it's not worth my time to renegotiate, and they go above and beyond every time I need anything. So I wrote off anything I potentially left on the table as paying for good service & investing in relationship.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Got it in Canada, no discount, but I'm in a high-demand area (Vancouver) and there were some circumstances - basically, I wanted the first Cayenne Turbo available (not for bragging rights - needed to replace the current one) and a new RS at MSRP and with Euro delivery, which costs them extra money. So they told me that asking for a discount on top of that would be too much to ask. Eventually, I had to postpone my Cayenne order due to the options availability, so getting the first Turbo did not work out, and I am not doing a euro delivery of the RS, so my "extra requests" did not fully materialize. But it's not worth my time to renegotiate, and they go above and beyond every time I need anything. So I wrote off anything I potentially left on the table as paying for good service & investing in relationship.
Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure they are in high demand over here. Dealer has allocations for next month available and the month after. That to me doesn't seem like high demand. Vancouver of course is another story for sure.

Dealers here want to seem to stick with 2% range on new popular cars. But I'm reading of 10-12% here for US market, has me wondering.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure they are in high demand over here. Dealer has allocations for next month available and the month after. That to me doesn't seem like high demand. Vancouver of course is another story for sure.

Dealers here want to seem to stick with 2% range on new popular cars. But I'm reading of 10-12% here for US market, has me wondering.
Vancouver is a little crazy - only two Porsche dealers and a lot of people with money. Plus for some time it was impossible to buy anything because of gray exports. Canada is one of the cheapest markets, so many were buying here and shipping to China and other high-priced regions. Porsche supposedly stopped that now, but the dealers got used to driving a hard bargain. Some years ago I had to pull in a favor just to get a 911 Turbo S with Euro delivery at MSRP, after 4 dealers told me either "no" or to come back in a year. Toronto is a much more saturated market, so I'd definitely ask for something off.

Quick Reply: PSA: Thermal / Noise Insulated Windows & EZ Pass