Sponsored By:

Winter Tire Dilemna - 2019 Cayenne 21" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 PM
dbwalsh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Tire Dilemna - 2019 Cayenne 21" Wheels

When I ordered my 2019 Cayenne S I opted for the 21" wheels. I specifically asked the dealer service manager whether I needed to pre-order or pre-purchase snow tires before the expected delivery. The service manager assured me that they would have plenty in stock when I took delivery in January. Now the car has arrived and the dealer tells me that there are no longer any appropriately sized 21" snow tires available. He is correct. No distributor, including TireRack or Discount Tire has any stock and they do not expect any more this season.

The dealer has suggested that I purchase a Porsche winter wheel and tire set for "just" $7000. As a first time Porsche buyer I'm shocked and disappointed. Bad information from a service manager and no alternative offered except to garage the car until winter passes. Unfortunately, we live at 7000' in a ski resort...so that time is still months away. I feel like a bait and switch is going on. I sure hope not.

I'm thinking my only alternative is to buy smaller tires and a second set of rims and TPM sensors. That will cost around $4000! Crazy.

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:29 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

For new wheel sizes, its common (not right) for the manufacturers to make short runs of the sizes. I live in NY and I always swap out my 21s with a 19 winter set. 19s are much better anyway in the snow.

I am sure you can find a used OEM set of 19 winters, for prob about $2000. You will need. to change out the TPMS. The offset may be a little off, but I dont think it would be too off.

Here is a rennlist member set for sale (I have no affilation) but it looks like a nice set to me:
19 Winter wheel set

Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, that sucks for sure. I hate getting the ol' bait and switch routine. But I agree with OCNYporsche... I live well up into the snow belt too, and on my 2017 Turbo I have 21s for summer, and 19" wheels with winter tires for the white stuff. They aren't as wide, so don't look as nice, but I agree that the slightly narrower tires are better for snow. Plus I think it's better to have a set of seperate rims with pressure monitors installed, rather than stripping them off those nice OEM wheels every year. I've always done it this way. More potential for rim damage, and I hear it's harder on the tires to be un-beaded every year.

If you live in a ski resort area, you likely know all this, but just thought i'd chime in with my 2 cents.

Cheers

r
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear this. 21" winter tires are always a pain in the neck to source this time of year. If you check out BMW forums, you will see multiple threads like this on the M5 and X5M boards.

If you don't have PCCB or a Turbo, you can probably do fine with 19" or 20" wheels and tires. I think there was a thread from someone in Europe who figured out he could use the last generation Cayenne snow tires and wheels with spacers.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 AM
dbwalsh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'm going to the dealer today and hopefully we can work out something. Based on your feedback, we will likely look for smaller rims and tires. I really appreciate everyone's help!
Old 01-08-2019, 03:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

I second getting smaller wheels and winter tires. You can probably get a better deal at tirerack or another vendor rather than Porsche. Also, the previous gen cayenne wheels and tires should work with spacers, so consider looking on the used market.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Fly121
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

What type of tires come standard? My turbo is arriving at the end of the month and I just ordered the 'stock' Cayenne 21" turbo wheels. My SA didn't mention to me I would need different wheels or tires for winter driving.
I know for my X5M I had summer tires and wheels and also a separate tires and wheels set for mid-Fall to mid-Spring driving.
With summer tires you could not drive even with a dusting of snow on the roads.

Last edited by Fly121; 01-08-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: correct post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly121
What type of tires come standard? My turbo is arriving at the end of the month and I just ordered the 'stock' Cayenne 21" turbo wheels. My SA didn't mention to me I would need different wheels or tires for winter driving.
I know for my X5M I had summer tires and wheels and also a separate tires and wheels set for mid-Fall to mid-Spring driving.
With summer tires you could not drive even with a dusting of snow on the roads.
the cayenne comes with all season pirelli scorpions which are not to bad in snow. You need to tick the summer tires option to get summer tires which are useless in winter

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Dilemna - 2019 Cayenne 21" Wheels