Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Please help! Just bought 2019 Cayenne and in tears over WiFi hotspot set up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Liz T
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Just bought 2019 Cayenne and in tears over WiFi hotspot set up

i took delivery on a Thursday and did not receive THE MAGIC EMAIL til friday (which frankly I think is a ridiculous way to do things but I digress). After receiving the email, I meticulously went through the steps to set up the pcm. To no avail. My phone is paired, but the WiFi hot spot SAYS it is connects, yet there is no wireless. I got this car to be the family vehicle, to take on trips so my kids could enjoy their movies etc. It is basically worthless to me with no WiFi, and my salesman seems completely unconcerned. I also cannot find trouble shooting articles on the internet. Please help!
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Liz T
i took delivery on a Thursday and did not receive THE MAGIC EMAIL til friday (which frankly I think is a ridiculous way to do things but I digress). After receiving the email, I meticulously went through the steps to set up the pcm. To no avail. My phone is paired, but the WiFi hot spot SAYS it is connects, yet there is no wireless. I got this car to be the family vehicle, to take on trips so my kids could enjoy their movies etc. It is basically worthless to me with no WiFi, and my salesman seems completely unconcerned. I also cannot find trouble shooting articles on the internet. Please help!
What country are you in? In some countries you need to buy a phone sim card for the car separately to enable wifi hotspot and in some countries it's included for the first year or so.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just thinking out of the box since it is something I won't use. Is this something that you need to register with AT&T too? AT&T does not show the 2019 Cayenne as supported vehicle yet.

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/porsche/...US&language=en
Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Liz, I am not sure about the specifics of your problem. But as a workaround, can you enable your smartphone as a wifi hotspot until you get the issue resolved? You'll have wifi in the car for the kids then, as long as your phone is with you and turned on.

If you are unsure if this option is available to you, call your service provider -- they can activate immediately. Larger U.S. carriers charge a nominal monthly fee ($10 or less) to enable the feature on your calling plan, assuming your smartphone supports it. Nearly all late-model phones do.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Liz T
2nd Gear

Thx all. I am in US. I was assured that the 2019 came with its own SIM card. I guess my biggest frustration right now is their lack of concern at the dealership ... this was one of my main requirements of my new SUV and I told them that. I did purchase a data plan through ATT, for $250 believe it or not. So incredibly frustrating.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 AM
NCBob
3rd Gear

I am also in US and went through a similar frustrating situation with my 2018 911 Targa GTS last December. The embedded SIM in the 911 will not provide a hotspot. Ipads would pick up a wifi "signal" from the Targa but wouldn't connect. Dealer had no clue what to do. Ultimately I found out that for my car to provide a wifi hotspot I needed a separate SIM card to be installed and activated through ATT, which card I received from Porsche after calling (800) 767-7243 and giving them the VIN number. Hope that helps.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Reach out to Porsche customer service on phone/twitter if your dealer is being obtuse.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Cayenne WiFi hotspot

I feel your pain, as I had the same issue with my 2019 Cayenne that I’ve had for 3 weeks. I believe the answer is you need to go to MyPorsche online and register your car’s SIM with ATT for a 3-month free trial subscription to ATT’s cell service. Once you’ve signed up everything works fine.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to setup your Porsche Connect. With that, you should have the ATT contract free for one year.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Att

Free for one year? That’s not what was offered to me. On my car the free trial was for 3 months or 3gb used, whichever occurs first. Not a generous trial, and after that it’s $20/month.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:55 PM
zelement
Instructor

Mine is one year for the ATT and 90 days for SAT radio
Old 12-22-2018, 01:59 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by zelement
Mine is one year for the ATT and 90 days for SAT radio
In the US the free year is for the connect services which uses ATT and the embedded SIM. This does not include the hot spot, for that you need to get a SIM and install it in the SIM slot.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 PM
zelement
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd B

In the US the free year is for the connect services which uses ATT and the embedded SIM. This does not include the hot spot, for that you need to get a SIM and install it in the SIM slot.
I see...
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B

Actually you do not need to install a sim for 2019. It has the embedded sim and if you put in the vehicles vin in the ATT website...it will start up the 3GB free trial. When that 3GB trial is up, you can choose to do extend it for $20/month. My hotspot is up and running now...

Quick Reply: Please help! Just bought 2019 Cayenne and in tears over WiFi hotspot set up