Sponsored By:

Sport Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:52 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Sport Exhaust?

I ran across the following Russian YouTube video.

Two things stand out. One, those 22” wheels look great. And two, I think this may be the first video I’ve seen of an E3 with Sport exhaust. The guy points at something weird in front of the resonator at approximately two minutes in. Then, at about four minutes, he says “sport” as the sound of the exhaust changes, followed by video of two clearly different exhaust sounds.

If this is a base Cayenne with Sport exhaust, it sounds pretty darned good. It’s deeper, with a few little pops and cracks on overrun. But it’s not obnoxious. Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:32 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Great find, PSE on the base sounds really good. This must be the first vid of a Cayenne with 22”s , glad I ordered them 😁
Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Damn. That sounds mean. Sucks you have to pay so much to get that. Is there a way to set it to always be on? Or do you have to enable it every time you get in the vehicle? Also, I've read that it's much harder to hear any difference inside the vehicle...I wonder if that's still the case.

On the 22s - agree they look awesome. I wonder what the impact is on ride feel as compared to the 21s (which I think visually are the smallest I'd go).
Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Hon Mok
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of this?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Is there a way to set it to always be on [Sport]? Or do you have to enable it every time you get in the vehicle?
That’s a good question. We drove a Panamera Turbo with Sport exhaust several months ago, and I didn’t think to ask. The factory active / sport exhaust system on our SS is controlled with a ****. We leave it in Sport all the time, only dialing it down for freeway cruises due to droning. And sometimes for funeral processions. I hope the Cayenne works similarly.

Also, I've read that it's much harder to hear any difference inside the vehicle...I wonder if that's still the case.
The Panamera sounded like a completely different animal inside and out. There was no question when the baffles were open. It sounded mean and expensive and full of power, with much more brass and deep bass. It was several decibels louder. Close the baffles and it’s a docile little thing. It changed the personality of the car dramatically.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Jdqt458
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Also my concern regarding the fitting of 22” wheels and the quality of ride comfort .
As previously mentioned would it be necessary to include Air Suspension to help.
Members advise would be appreciated as I am now speccing Cayenne.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I ran across the following Russian YouTube video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaSOV8Jiek

If this is a base Cayenne with Sport exhaust, it sounds pretty darned good. It’s deeper, with a few little pops and cracks on overrun. But it’s not obnoxious. Thoughts?
Just watched it and laughed my butt off. This is an aftermarket product which is - wait for it - a speaker playing back a sound file installed under the car. It comes with an app to pick a sound to imitate and tune volume, frequencies, pops and other details. I'll pass, at least until we switch to fully electric.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just watched it and laughed my butt off. This is an aftermarket product which is - wait for it - a speaker playing back a sound file installed under the car. It comes with an app to pick a sound to imitate and tune volume, frequencies, pops and other details. I'll pass, at least until we switch to fully electric.
No way! I was wondering what the eff the guy was doing with his smartphone. I honestly (naively) thought he had a sound analyzer app.

So that little bidirectional tube he pointed out was actually a speaker tube. Great stuff!

Thanks for pointing out the truth, Max. One day soon we'll see and hear a video of a Cayenne with factory Sport exhaust. Sadly, it may have to wait until we lay hands on the thing at the dealer and take a video of it ourselves. Who'd think it would be so hard to get a recording of a pretty cool (and needed, and badly overpriced) option?

BTW, one of the things that drives me nuts is manufacturers (I'm looking at you, BMW) piping fake engine noise into the cabin through the speakers. Even sound tubes that run intake whoosh through the firewall seems like cheating to me. I'll take my internal combustion fart noises the all-natural way, thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdqt458
Also my concern regarding the fitting of 22” wheels and the quality of ride comfort .
As previously mentioned would it be necessary to include Air Suspension to help.
Members advise would be appreciated as I am now speccing Cayenne.
I included the air suspension in my base build with 22”s. I test drove a 2019 “S” with AS and 21”s and it was great, way more comfortable than the steel spring Base with 19”s, I really like the AS on the new gen Cayenne, much more controlled ride than in the 958 which was too bouncy. It has a couple more height settings as well, I prefer my Cayenne to ride a bit lower, I am not fond of the huge wheel to fender gap on the regular suspension.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

That’s a good question. We drove a Panamera Turbo with Sport exhaust several months ago, and I didn’t think to ask. The factory active / sport exhaust system on our SS is controlled with a ****. We leave it in Sport all the time, only dialing it down for freeway cruises due to droning. And sometimes for funeral processions. I hope the Cayenne works similarly.

The Panamera sounded like a completely different animal inside and out. There was no question when the baffles were open. It sounded mean and expensive and full of power, with much more brass and deep bass. It was several decibels louder. Close the baffles and it’s a docile little thing. It changed the personality of the car dramatically.
Interesting about the Panamera. I can't recall where I'd heard that about the Cayenne. I wonder if it was that long video of the guy running through all the options. Maybe he said it. I know he's been shown to be incorrect about other items, so maybe he's also wrong about that! Also, hard to believe the turbo would ever sound docile!

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That's hilarious! The perils of watching videos in languages we do not understand
Old 11-30-2018, 02:20 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Also, hard to believe the turbo would ever sound docile!
That was a relative term for a TT V8 with over 500 horsepower. With the exhaust set to standard mode, it still sounded sporty, but in sort of a generic, muted way. You could motor right through your church parking lot on Sunday morning, and nobody would give a second glance sound-wise. No goosebumps were raised. However, they came out in droves when sport was activated. It sounded GREAT, both inside and outside the car. Parishioners would definitely shoot some dirty looks if you goosed it a little.

That's hilarious! The perils of watching videos in languages we do not understand
That'll teach me. From now on, I'm vetting all foreign YouTube Porsche videos through Max.

I do find it telling that some company overseas found the stock Cayenne exhaust so plain that they actually developed such a crazy thing. Assuming it is a real thing. Which I am not assuming. The A-S-S part of the word already bit me but good.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

^^^
Old 11-30-2018, 01:00 PM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm that stock PSE is not that loud. Noticeable but may not be worth the money.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidc1
I can confirm that stock PSE is not that loud. Noticeable but may not be worth the money.
Is this in the base? Wondering if the difference may be greater in the S or Turbo?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this in the base? Wondering if the difference may be greater in the S or Turbo?
it is the base. Maybe better in other models.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust?