Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base

Price difference is 17k.

I test drove base Cayenne. Plenty power for street use but cayenne being a heavy car, it feels heavy and planted vs. lively (I feel like I have to make engine work to move this car.... only felt this way in sport mode)

Does S have more power to make the car more lively?

Or, is it better off to get e-hybrid for better EPA and low end torque from motor?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I’m having deja vu, I swore I saw this topic not too long ago
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Price difference is 17k.

I test drove base Cayenne. Plenty power for street use but cayenne being a heavy car, it feels heavy and planted vs. lively (I feel like I have to make engine work to move this car.... only felt this way in sport mode)

Does S have more power to make the car more lively?

Or, is it better off to get e-hybrid for better EPA and low end torque from motor?
I believe the price difference between identically equipped base and S models is $13,430. I.e the S engine costs $13,430 more than the base engine.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I believe the price difference between identically equipped base and S models is $13,430. I.e the S engine costs $13,430 more than the base engine.
Also, the pano roof is standard on the S. I don't know if there are other items. The brakes are also slightly bigger on the S.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

In my country, the difference is much higher than US$ 17.000 so I decided to stay with the Base. Coming from a 2017 E Hybrid S, the base seems like a "huge" improvement.

The new engine moves the Cayenne very nicely compared to the older V6 and it has more than enough HP for an every day car. The car is being driven by my wife and she loves it. I drive it over the weekends when we go to the beach or some other place with the kids. Even with four people on board and the back full of luggage, the car moves very nicely.

The base that I purchased was very well equipped so no complaints about the build. The major difference was going to be the engine and maybe bigger brakes, but I don't know if over US$ 20.000 in my case was going to be worth it. I had the same issue when I purchase my 991.2 Cabrio. I decided to go with the base because a US$ 25.000 difference wasn't worth for me, specially now that is so easy to tune the new turbo engines.

The difference with the ER Hybrid down here is US$ 33.000 and it doesn't make any sense at all, specially after being so disappointed with the one I used to own.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by BallJack
Also, the pano roof is standard on the S. I don't know if there are other items. The brakes are also slightly bigger on the S.
The base and S can be configured identically on the US configurator except for the engine. Same pano roof, same brakes, etc. I have done it numerous times to see which one I want. The cost difference is $13,430.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 PM
BallJack
Advanced

The base and S can be configured identically on the US configurator except for the engine. Same pano roof, same brakes, etc. I have done it numerous times to see which one I want. The cost difference is $13,430.
Got it. I didn't do the math before my comment. You are right. My bad.
However, those 2 cars have different standard brakes. The S brakes being slightly bigger (therefore more expensive?) than the Base model brakes. Not arguing. Just saying. I guess the $13,430 difference accounts for the engine and the brakes (which may not be too bad). I'm just trying to find more reason to justify the price difference - maybe to convince myself to go for the Cayenne S.

S Brakes : 390 mm brake rotor 6-piston front, 330 mm rotor 4-piston rear
Base Brakes: 350 mm brake rotor 4-piston front, 330 mm rotor 2-piston rear

Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

In addition I will start another thread but it seems APR will have a tune in the coming months for the base car to get it to over 400/400.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
In my country, the difference is much higher than US$ 17.000 so I decided to stay with the Base. Coming from a 2017 E Hybrid S, the base seems like a "huge" improvement.

The new engine moves the Cayenne very nicely compared to the older V6 and it has more than enough HP for an every day car. The car is being driven by my wife and she loves it. I drive it over the weekends when we go to the beach or some other place with the kids. Even with four people on board and the back full of luggage, the car moves very nicely.

The base that I purchased was very well equipped so no complaints about the build. The major difference was going to be the engine and maybe bigger brakes, but I don't know if over US$ 20.000 in my case was going to be worth it. I had the same issue when I purchase my 991.2 Cabrio. I decided to go with the base because a US$ 25.000 difference wasn't worth for me, specially now that is so easy to tune the new turbo engines.

The difference with the ER Hybrid down here is US$ 33.000 and it doesn't make any sense at all, specially after being so disappointed with the one I used to own.
I hear you. I have been going back and forth myself configuring both the base and the S to balance the price and options to my budget. It's easy to have the cost runaway after adding options and with a higher base price on the S it's easy to go over $100K.

The base model is no slouch though and I'm sure it is more than enough for my family use. It's just the thought of the additional horsepower is in the back of my mind. But then again, with a set budget, my wife will rather spend the money on some options rather than additional horsepower. At the end of the day, I guess, one couldn't go wrong either way. It's a nice car after all regardless.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
In addition I will start another thread but it seems APR will have a tune in the coming months for the base car to get it to over 400/400.
the base shares the Audi engine right?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by BallJack
Got it. I didn't do the math before my comment. You are right. My bad.
However, those 2 cars have different standard brakes. The S brakes being slightly bigger (therefore more expensive?) than the Base model brakes. Not arguing. Just saying. I guess the $13,430 difference accounts for the engine and the brakes (which may not be too bad). I'm just trying to find more reason to justify the price difference - maybe to convince myself to go for the Cayenne S.

S Brakes : 390 mm brake rotor 6-piston front, 330 mm rotor 4-piston rear
Base Brakes: 350 mm brake rotor 4-piston front, 330 mm rotor 2-piston rear

The base and S can be configured identically. Option both with PSCB making the brakes the same on both cars. PSCB costs the same for both versions. Add PASM to the base. Add Premium Package to both which gives to the base the pano roof. Etc. They can be configured the same.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
Audi and Porsche are sharing engines all over the place. Just a few examples: The 2019 RS5 is powered by the same 2.9L TT V6 in the Cayenne S. The 2019 A8 starts with a 3.0L V6 turbo engine that (I believe) is from the base Cayenne. Later, the 4.0L TT V8 from the Panamera / Cayenne Turbo will be offered as an option in the A8. It'll be in a "mild" state, putting out about 450 horsepower. The S8 eventually will carry the same engine in full-on tune with around 530 horsepower.

The days of totally unique powerplants and platforms at VW-Audi-Porsche-Bentley-Lamborghini appear to be gone.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Marcus Larrea
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

The base Cayenne shares the same engine as the Audi S4 and S5.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:08 AM
BallJack
Advanced

The base and S can be configured identically. Option both with PSCB making the brakes the same on both cars. PSCB costs the same for both versions. Add PASM to the base. Add Premium Package to both which gives to the base the pano roof. Etc. They can be configured the same.
Dude, I know what you're saying and I'm not arguing that.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Audi and Porsche are sharing engines all over the place. Just a few examples: The 2019 RS5 is powered by the same 2.9L TT V6 in the Cayenne S. The 2019 A8 starts with a 3.0L V6 turbo engine that (I believe) is from the base Cayenne. Later, the 4.0L TT V8 from the Panamera / Cayenne Turbo will be offered as an option in the A8. It'll be in a "mild" state, putting out about 450 horsepower. The S8 eventually will carry the same engine in full-on tune with around 530 horsepower.

The days of totally unique powerplants and platforms at VW-Audi-Porsche-Bentley-Lamborghini appear to be gone.
so true and they share parts as well. Talked to dealer tech and he said VW has totally ruined it.

Quick Reply: Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base