Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Although they are working this through the VIN's, if you want to go the belts and suspenders approach, call PCNA and discuss the recall with them. Then ask for your case number, if they have it they'll give it to you otherwise they'll open it and then give you the number. From that point onward until it is closed, you have a quick and relatively easy reference number.

I did this with my Cayenne diesel when I was having an issue getting their correspondence. Once I got a case number, I made a couple emails and after that no more correspondence problems.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The issue here is that Porsche hasn't officially announced it to the owners yet. Until they do the paperwork and grunt work involved in actually implementing the recall the dealers are as blind as you are. I searched the NHTSA website today for my VIN# - and no recall shows - which means Porsche hasn't submitted the VIN#'s to NHTSA yet.

Patience.. it will happen - but not instantly. It's going to be a big (~18,000 vehicles), expensive (figure maybe $1,500/each - do the math..) recall. Porsche may take their time to legally delay the expenditure - money x time=interest. After all - they've delayed it for 4 years now (since they did the initial recall in Japan.)

At least we don't have to be concerned about our airbags (Takita announced they're going bankrupt this week.. which should make the millions and millions of cars with defective airbags relatively valueless. BMW dealers still have cars sitting on their back lots they can't sell - 2 years later - due to the airbags.)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The issue here is that Porsche hasn't officially announced it to the owners yet. Until they do the paperwork and grunt work involved in actually implementing the recall the dealers are as blind as you are. I searched the NHTSA website today for my VIN# - and no recall shows - which means Porsche hasn't submitted the VIN#'s to NHTSA yet.

Patience.. it will happen - but not instantly. It's going to be a big (~18,000 vehicles), expensive (figure maybe $1,500/each - do the math..) recall. Porsche may take their time to legally delay the expenditure - money x time=interest. After all - they've delayed it for 4 years now (since they did the initial recall in Japan)
Exactly. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, when I spoke with PNA about this late last week, I was informed they were just getting the initial internal paperwork distributed last Thursday regarding this AH08 campaign. I was told it would likely be a few months before we're actually taking our vehicles to the dealers for the fix. They have my info and are going to contact me again once the final VIN list has been compiled to verify the inclusion of my vehicle.

So right now, don't even bother contacting your dealer. You know more than they do at this point! I'm just glad this is finally underway!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Default Update #2

Latest update...this morning I received a follow-up phone call from the Porsche NA rep I've been working with (Tracy). She informed me that the official VIN list associated with the AH08 campaign has now been compiled. My vehicle has been verified as being included.

She also informed me that the official email was sent this morning to all of the dealers regarding AH08. So depending on how quickly your dealer pays attention to that email, they should soon be informed about this when you contact them.

She mentioned that owners of affected vehicle will at some point be receiving a letter from PNA about the recall along with instructions for getting the fix. In the meantime she recommended keeping in touch with your dealer so that when the recall work finally starts happening, you'll be set and ready to go. She said that could be a couple of months or so as PNA gears up to handle this with parts availability, etc.

So that's the latest!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

X2, I got a call this morning as well. My vin has been confirmed as part of the bunch. I was also told the recall is now "Active" and on Porsche's website individuals can check with their vin number if their vehicle is part of the recall, and should be updated on all Porsche dealerships. Ladies and gents, book your appointments!

p.s. i did i ask for those whom have paid for this repair out of pocket. I was told you will be compensated for the repair.
Contact your Porsche dealership / PNA.

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Latest update...this morning I received a follow-up phone call from the Porsche NA rep I've been working with (Tracy). She informed me that the official VIN list associated with the AH08 campaign has now been compiled. My vehicle has been verified as being included.

She also informed me that the official email was sent this morning to all of the dealers regarding AH08. So depending on how quickly your dealer pays attention to that email, they should soon be informed about this when you contact them.

She mentioned that owners of affected vehicle will at some point be receiving a letter from PNA about the recall along with instructions for getting the fix. In the meantime she recommended keeping in touch with your dealer so that when the recall work finally starts happening, you'll be set and ready to go. She said that could be a couple of months or so as PNA gears up to handle this with parts availability, etc.

So that's the latest!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
on Porsche's website individuals can check with their vin number if their vehicle is part of the recall...

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm
Just be aware that as of right now, only some of the 2011 CTT VINs will show results on the PNA recall check link above. I suspect that their system is being updated at this time with VINs included in the AH08 campaign. If you enter a 2011 CTT VIN right now it may display a message saying 'The vehicle identification number you entered is WP1AC2A29BLAxxxxx. We could not find campaign information about this vehicle because the number you entered contains an error or is not in our system.' I tried several 2011 CTT VINs, some worked, some didn't.

Mine for instance was verified by PNA this morning in a phone call to me as being in the AH08 campaign, but right now checking it online at PNA's site produces the message above. No worries, I'm sure they'll show up on the PNA recall check site at some point.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Does Porsche know I own an affected Cayenne? I purchased my 2011 CTT from a private seller, not from a Porsche dealership. I have had it serviced/repaired at a dealership since taking ownership, and I became a member of PCA a few months back; does the information given to the dealership's service department or to PCA migrate through PNA's various databases to ensure PNA knows to eventually send me a recall letter?

I realize I don't need an official letter to take advantage of the recall; this thread just got me wondering about this subject.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by MountainStone
Does Porsche know I own an affected Cayenne? I purchased my 2011 CTT from a private seller, not from a Porsche dealership. I have had it serviced/repaired at a dealership since taking ownership, and I became a member of PCA a few months back; does the information given to the dealership's service department or to PCA migrate through PNA's various databases to ensure PNA knows to eventually send me a recall letter?

I realize I don't need an official letter to take advantage of the recall; this thread just got me wondering about this subject.
There is a card in your owners manual (postage paid IIRC) where you can tell Porsche you now own the vehicle. I believe that's required by US federal law.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oooo, I need to call and get mine on the wait list to fix. My CPO just ran out on my 11.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM
deilenberger
Banned

p.s. i did i ask for those whom have paid for this repair out of pocket. I was told you will be compensated for the repair.
Contact your Porsche dealership / PNA.
I posted this on 6-speed, might as well add it here. It's not Porsche's decision on reimbursement for repairs associated with the recall, it's NHTSA's:

Worth reading: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...compendium.pdf

Specifically - to those of use who preemptively repaired the defective Variocam adjusters:

Originally Posted by NHTSA document
Reimbursement for Pre-Notification Remedies

The foregoing section addressed the typical situation in which the manufacturer discovers a defect or noncompliance in an item they have manufactured, notifies NHTSA of that problem, and then moves forward with a recall campaign to correct that problem in the field and in its inventory. There are often occasions, however, when an owner or purchaser of a defective or noncompliant vehicle or vehicle equipment fixes at their own cost the problem before the manufacturer has notified NHTSA and/or issued its owner notifications.

A manufacturer must include in its Defect and Noncompliance Information Report a plan for reimbursing an owner or purchaser who paid to remedy the defect or noncompliance in advance of the manufacturer’s owner notifications. This plan must contain several items, including a date range within which an owner’s payment of costs would qualify for reimbursement, the amount of costs to be reimbursed an owner, and an address to which claimants may mail reimbursement claims.

The date range within which an owner’s payment of costs would qualify for reimbursement is subject to several parameters. The beginning date for a noncompliance recall is the date of the first test or observation by NHTSA or the manufacturer indicating that a noncompliance may exist. For a safety defect, the beginning date is calculated different ways depending upon whether the decision that there was a defect was made following the opening of an Engineering Analysis (EA) by NHTSA or not. If the decision was made following the opening of an EA, the beginning date is either the date the EA was opened, or one year before the date the manufacturer notified NHTSA of its defect decision, whichever date is earlier. If an EA was not opened, (which is the majority of safety defect recalls) the beginning date is one year before the date the manufacturer notified NHTSA of its defect decision.

The ending date for reimbursement plans depends upon whether the recall is of motor vehicles or replacement equipment. For motor vehicles, this date cannot be any earlier than 10 calendar days after the last mailing of owner notification letters. For replacement equipment, the ending date cannot be any earlier than 10 calendar days after the last mailing of owner notification letters, or 30 days after the conclusion of the manufacturer’s initial efforts to notify owners of the recall, whichever date is later.

The manufacturer’s calculation of the amount of costs to be reimbursed is also subject to several limitations. For motor vehicles, the amount of reimbursement may not be less than the amount paid by the owner to remedy the vehicle, or the cost of parts, labor, and miscellaneous fees (disposal, taxes, etc.), whichever is the lesser amount. For replacement equipment, the amount of reimbursement is typically that amount the owner paid to replace the equipment (if the owner chose to replace the item with a different brand, the manufacturer may limit the amount of reimbursement to the retail list price of the defective or noncompliant item, plus taxes). If the owner chose to repair the equipment, then the limitations applicable to motor vehicles apply.

A manufacturer may stipulate its reimbursement on the satisfaction of certain conditions. A manufacturer may deny reimbursement for costs incurred where the manufacturer’s original or extended warranty would have provided for a free repair of the defect or noncompliance. Claims may also be denied where the pre-notification remedy did not address the defect or noncompliance at issue or was not reasonably necessary to correct the problem. Manufacturers may also require certain documentation from owners, such as adequate descriptions of the product involved and receipts.

Manufacturers are required to act on claims for reimbursement within 60 days of their receipt, including issuing the appropriate notices where claims have been denied. For claims for reimbursement that are incomplete at the time of submission, within 60 days of the manufacturer’s receipt of the incomplete claim, it must advise the claimant of the incompleteness, identify what additional information is needed, and offer an opportunity to resubmit the claim with the complete information.

Reimbursements must be in the form of cash or check.
So - not to worry if you already paid to have it done..
Old 06-27-2017, 12:17 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Picked up my Cayenne from the local Porsche service department today (transfer case replacement, but that's a different thread) and asked my SA if he was aware of this recall. As he was shaking his head and saying 'no' the SA seated next to him piped up to say she read the official email from Porsche 'a couple days ago.' My SA was surprised but congratulated me on the news, because he had quoted me just over $4000 to perform the job (I know that is wildly high). I asked them both when I should plan to have the recall work done, and they said at the same time 'we will have to wait until we get the parts in.' My SA said to call him in a month to determine the status. Then the other SA added that she had a customer last week who dropped off a Cayenne with a variocam bolt failure. She said Porsche declined to offer any goodwill on the repair. I asked if the car was still under the emissions warranty and she said it wasn't. She took a phone call and the conversation ended there, but I bet that owner will be incredibly pleased when he/she hears the news.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I have an appointment tomorrow w/ my dealer to get variocam / bolts replaced.
Keep you posted.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I have an appointment tomorrow w/ my dealer to get variocam / bolts replaced.
Keep you posted.
Ask for a detailed parts listing. I'm curious what they are replacing. AFAIK - there are no "bolts" available - just entire Variocam units.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ask for a detailed parts listing. I'm curious what they are replacing. AFAIK - there are no "bolts" available - just entire Variocam units.
I'm guessing it'll be the previous WC-22 fix or very similar.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

update from dealer:

In summary, Service Manager said, we don't have parts, nothing we can do. I told SA valve train is making a slight noise (as if something goes lose) at 1500-1800rpm, then goes away, i told PNA - it might be due to vario cam being lose/ backing out. SA said not possible. I said okay, as longest you give me a documentation i stopped by and tried to drop off car, and i was told nien, i'm on my way home. If motor goes kaboom, i tried to do what PNA told me ; "go to your local Porsche dealership drop off the vehicle while the recall is in progress. " You lads don't want the car as no parts, not my issue.
They changed tone, gave me a loaner. Now the waiting game. :/

p.s. i did not go to my primary dealership of choice, sonnen as they're slam - 4 weeks out.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts